• Published 8th Feb 2013
  • 1,839 Views, 33 Comments

Soren the Alicorn Part 1: New Beginnings - KingNyroc15



A new alicorn arrives in Equestria. How exactly did he get here?

  • ...
57
 33
 1,839

Recovery

Soren found himself waking up inside of a hospital. With his eyes barely open, he started scanning the room. The bright, white room looked like any ordinary hospital, with machines, beds, and patients everywhere. The occasional beeping could be heard from the machines hooked up to patients, including Soren. The one thing that stuck out was the sight of blue by his bed clashing with the white of the room. Soren's eyes focused on it more and discovered that Luna was sitting in a chair by his bed, looking down and whispering something to herself.

"You know," Soren said softly, "it's not polite to whisper in front of ponies." Luna's head jerked up in surprise.

"Soren!" She instantly hugged him. Soren groaned a little in pain but he didn't want the hug to end. For a princess, she sure likes to act casual. Maybe she doesn't simply look younger.

The hug broke and the door of the room quickly opened.

"Luna, what's wr-" Twilight stopped her sentence when her and her friends saw that Soren was awake. All of the mares in the doorway said Soren's name with excitement, just as Luna had. Pretty soon, all of Soren's friends were surrounding his bed.

Soren took this time to examine his body as best as he could. His body was wrapped up in a random fashion and his right fore-leg was fully wrapped. He was surprised to not feel a lot of pain but he knew he was pretty injured.

Eventually a unicorn nurse walked in the room to check on him. She looked at his chart and examined his body. After writing a few things here and there, the nurse addressed Soren and his friends. "Soren is making a smooth recovery. From the injuries he had, we were all surprised he wasn't too damaged. We guess it was because he's an alicorn. Either way, he'll be able to leave the hospital within a few days. Until then, get plenty of rest and refrain from using magic." She tapped Soren's horn then held up a mirror. The horn was slightly singed. Soren nodded and the nurse left. Luna decided now was a good time to explain something to Soren and the mares.

"Everypony, I'm afraid I have to leave for awhile." The mares and Soren looked at the princess with questions at the ready, but Luna put a hoof in the air to silence them. "We need to take care of important business. In the meantime, take this, Soren." Luna brought a scroll out of nowhere and placed it on Soren's bed. "Read this when we take our leave." Soren looked at his marefriend. She went from happy and carefree to formal and serious within a few minutes.

Luna gave Soren one last hug before teleporting away. The crack of air caused a long silence to drift in the room, until Soren decided to pick up the scroll. He opened it and read it out loud for his friends.

Dear Soren,

We regret to inform you that a great danger has appeared in Equestria: the Nightmare Guardian. Although you have foughten her, don't believe for one second that that's all she is capable of. The origins of this Guardian is a story for another time, but right now, I need you to train. You need to be well on your way to becoming a strong Elemental Guardian. You still need to train much more. Once you are healed, you must focus all of your studies on magic to be used against the Nightmare Guardian. You must also become as physically fit as possible in case of close combat. Endurance is also a factor in magic. You shall need plenty of this.

Lastly, because this Guardian is trying to reawaken Nightmare Moon, we shall stay in Ponyville with you and the Elements of Harmony until she is defeated. We have already informed our sister about everything. She accepts our plan and will come to Ponyville if necessary. That is all for now.

Signed
Princess Luna


Soren put the scroll on the nightstand next to his bed and looked at his friends. Everypony there had a neutral expression, except Fluttershy, who was clearly worried. But who wouldn't be. There's an evil alicorn who is trying to bring back an even more evil mare of darkness to Equestria. Twilight walked closer to the bed.

"Soren, even though this mare is dangerous, we will all help you as much as we can." Soren gave a small smile. "I'll help you with magic..."

"And I reckon me and Rainbow Dash will be more than willing to help you exercise," Applejack interrupted. Soren felt more content now that his friends were willing to help.

With the Elements of Harmony by my side, the Nightmare Guardian doesn't stand a chance. Soren and the mares decided to change the topic so they could relax. After many minutes of talking, the six mares left the hospital so Soren could rest. Soren decided to try and sleep since he knew he was going to be bored in the hospital.

------------

For the next few days, Soren practiced his singing in the hospital. Vinyl Scratch even brought a new device that can hold tons of songs, music, beats, etc. It was her new, portable mixing table. With this, Soren could sing new and old songs, then they would later find the best instruments to go with the song. When Vinyl wasn't at the hospital helping him, Soren would sing by himself. One day, a doctor came into Soren's room to tell him that a lot of ponies in the hospital enjoy listening to him sing. Obviously not everypony will enjoy noise in a hospital, but it was a compliment to Soren nonetheless.

One day, Soren received a visit from his friends again. Before they even showed up, Soren and Vinyl were practicing his singing once more. When the song ended, his friends walked in the room.

"I see you still have your singing skills," Rainbow Dash commented. Soren smiled at the compliment. Pretty soon a full conversation was taking place between everypony. They would've kept talking if it wasn't for a nurse that walked in, minutes later, and interrupted them.

"If it's no trouble," began the nurse, "I would like to give Soren some good news." The conversation stopped and everypony gave the nurse their full attention. "Soren, I'm happy to say that you are able to leave the hospital whenever you please. Just make sure you don't do anything too over the top." Soren nodded and the nurse took her leave. He gave a big smile to his friends and they returned it. If they weren't in a hospital, all of them would have cheered.

After another half hour of conversation, Soren and the six mares left the hospital. The nurses were kind enough to remove Soren's bandages before he left. His horn was also back to normal. As they got outside, Soren began to stretch his legs.

"It feels like it's been forever since I could walk," he said.

"It's only been a few days," Applejack replied.

"Yeah..." he said sounding distant. The mares looked at their alicorn friend. Something seemed off about him.

"Soren, are you feeling aright?" Fluttershy asked. Soren perked up a little and turned towards his friends.

"I'm fine. I just...need to take of something. How about we all meet up at Sugarcube Corner later?" The mares turned towards each other nervously, but they nodded.

"If that's what you want," Twilight said. Soren started walking away but turned around to wave to his friends. After they waved back, he walked towards his destination: Club Vinyl.

--------------

Soren stopped in front of the club. He took a deep breath to relax himself as he walked inside. He knew what was waiting in there. Soren immediately saw the Pega-Singers onstage; it looked like they were packing up. Soren ran over to the stage and greeted them.

"Hey guys." The duo looked up from their packing and smiled when they saw who it was.

"If it isn't the rising performer," said the shorter of the two. "How are you doing? We heard you got in a nasty fight with another pony." Soren gave a neutral expression and nodded.

"It's true. I managed to protect the princess, but nearly killed myself in the process." Soren walked onstage to talk to the performers at eye level, even though they were both a little taller than him.

"Well we're glad you're alive and that the princess is safe. So what brings you here?"

"Just thought now would be a good time to chat and get to know each other." The two pegasi's expressions changed.

"Actually," the taller began, "we were just packing up to leave. We're traveling performers after all. We usually only stay in a town for one or two shows and then leave. We're heading to Manehatten next." Soren became sad; he almost didn't know why. He barely knew them, and during their time together, they competed against one another. So why was he sad they were leaving? Although in hindsight, the answer is quite obvious.

"Do you two think you'll come back to Ponyville soon? It's really fun singing with you guys." The duo smiled.

"It was fun for us too. We don't know how long it'll be before coming back here. But I'm sure we will meet up again somewhere, especially with the attention you and your friends attract." The three ponies shared a laugh. "We have to finish packing. We'll see you around, Soren." Soren nodded and started leaving the club, only to be stopped at the double doors.

"Hey Soren," shouted the shorter. Soren looked back. "Take good care of your marefriend." Soren gave a small laugh and left the building. It was time to head to Sugarcube Corner.