• Published 8th Feb 2013
  • 1,839 Views, 33 Comments

Soren the Alicorn Part 1: New Beginnings - KingNyroc15



A new alicorn arrives in Equestria. How exactly did he get here?

  • ...
57
 33
 1,839

The First Night

Twilight Sparkle, Fluttershy, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Soren, Spike, and Luna were all gathered in the Ponyville Train Station. The train had yet to arrive but Soren had to do something before they left anyway. He looked upon his friends. These were the friends he quickly made while he had amnesia (well, he technically still did have amnesia). Now he was going to ask a select few to go with him into possible danger.

"Before we leave, I need us to take a vote on something. But first, I'll tell you who I want to come with me. I want only Applejack, Twilight, and Rainbow Dash to accompany me on this trip." Before anypony could protest, Soren raised a hoof. "Let me explain. AJ deserves to go because this is her cousin's town we are talking about. Twilight is coming because she can help make a plan on how to deal with this Coyote Colt. Rainbow Dash is coming because she's strong and if something goes horribly wrong, she can fly back here to get the rest of you girls. It may not be perfect but we need options. Now down to the other business." Soren draped a hoof around Luna's neck. "I want us to vote wether or not Luna should tag along."

Everypony there gave Soren a surprised look, with the exception of Twilight, who looked at Soren like she was studying him. The girls figured Soren would want to let Luna come with them, but here he was saying that it should be a vote.

"I would love for Luna to come with us," Soren started, "but I think it would be fair to hear your opinions, especially you, Luna."

The mares thought for a few minutes before casting their votes. Twilight, Applejack, and Pinkie Pie voted for Luna to tag along, and Rarity, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, and Spike voted for her to stay in Ponyville. Soren looked at Luna for her vote, but she simply said:

"I shall trust you with that vote, Soren."

Soren sighed and put his head down. Of course I would get the deciding vote, he thought. He looked back up at his friends and marefriend. If I vote for Luna to stay in Ponyville, she'll be safe but might be disappointed. If I vote for her to come with us, it'll be a tie but Luna may use her vote to tag along. Soren sat on his haunches, put a hoof to his chin, and thought hard. It was a very tough choice for him. Luna could easily defend herself, so why was a part of him refusing to have her come with them? He finally had an answer. The mares leaned in closer to hear his final decision.

"I vote..." They leaned in even closer.

"...for Luna to stay." Pinkie's jaw dropped and she fell forward. The rest of Soren's friends all had their jaws open in shock, except the princess. Soren looked at her. She smiled and nodded. Soren returned the smile and walked up to her.

"I told thee I would trust your word," Luna said softly. Soren gave Luna a small kiss and hugged her.

"Thanks for understanding," Soren said.

"You're welcome." The train, being pulled by two stallions, arrived in the station. The train's cars were the engine, luggage, dining, two passenger cars, and the caboose in that order. Soren looked at Twilight, AJ, and Rainbow, then the four of them boarded the train. They waved goodbye to their friends through the windows. Soren focused specifically on Luna, as did she to him. After ten minutes of waiting, the train left the station and headed for Appaloosa. The four friends now had two days and two nights inside the train to think of a plan.

---------------

This was Soren's first train ride since he lost his memories, and it was the first time he had left Ponyville. It had only been hours since their departure yet Soren was enjoying himself already. Soren, Applejack, Twilight, and Rainbow gathered in the dining car for lunch. After they ate, the four friends began to plan out their arrival in Appaloosa.

"Now that we're done eating," Twilight started, "we should start making a plan. I would like to start by asking: What do we know about Coyote Colt?" The four friends thought for a few seconds before coming up with separate answers.

"Well," Applejack answered, "Ah know Braeburn said his closest allies are a pegasus and two buffalos. Who knows how many ponies and the like he has now?" Soren nodded.

"I saw that pegasus in my dream. He's missing a wing." Applejack looked shocked.

"Braeburn said the pegasus can fly." Now Twilight, Rainbow, and Soren looked shocked.

"That's even worse," Soren continued. "If he can still fly with one wing, he has to be a valuable asset. Rainbow, you gotta keep an eye out for that pegasus."

"Alright," she said, "but how will we stop Coyote Colt from damaging Appaloosa?"

"I think we'll need backup in order to prevent that, but sadly we don't have any." Twilight cleared her throat.

"I have a great plan." Soren, Applejack, and Rainbow Dash looked at her. "There is a herd of buffalo that the Appaloosans became friends with. We could ask them to help. Soren, Rainbow Dash, would you two like to ask them for help since you two are the fastest ponies here?" The two looked at each other. Rainbow Dash smirked.

"Sure...if Soren can keep up," she mocked. Soren smiled at the show of competition.

"I was about to say the same for you," Soren retorted.

"Then it's settled," Twilight said. "First, we all need to ask for the sheriff's approval of our plan. If they believe us, we will set up a defense or something to make sure we are prepared when they come." Soren started laughing. Twilight frowned at him but he started waving both hooves in front of him as if to say 'no.'

"I'm not...laughing...at the plan," Soren said between laughs. "I'm just amazed that...you came up with it...on the spot." Soren took a deep breath. "It's an amazing plan. I think that we're set. What do you two think?" Soren looked at Applejack and Rainbow Dash.

"If it's fine for you..." Applejack said.

"Sounds good to me," said Rainbow Dash.

"Nice work, Twilight," Soren praised. "Instead of spending two days coming up with the perfect plan, you managed to do it in twenty minutes. I'm impressed." Twilight blushed a little. "Well, now we can just enjoy this train ride. Let's go find something to do." The mares nodded, so the four of them left the dining car to enjoy their trip.

----------------

It was nighttime now. Soren lay on his bed staring at the ceiling in the passenger car of the train. Unfortunately, since the train had two passenger cars, his friends were in the adjacent car. He didn't bother to go wake them up. Just because he couldn't sleep doesn't mean he should prevent his friends from sleeping. As he stared at the ceiling, Soren thought of many things: the plan for Appaloosa, the fact that something may go wrong and destroy the plan, along with other thoughts.

As he wasted time thinking, Soren noticed that the train became quieter. Usually one could hear the train moving along the tracks or the wind moving past the train outside. But at this point, all he could hear was the snoring of the few ponies in the two passenger cars. Soren got out of bed and stood up as he looked at the two other ponies in the car. Something's wrong here... he thought. Just then...

To the roof.

Soren's eyes widened and his ears perked up. What in Celestia's name was that? The voice sounded like a whisper, but he could still hear the slight female tone of it.

Go!

For a few minutes, Soren tried to shake away the voice inside his head, but it wouldn't leave and it only got louder and louder. Finally deciding enough was enough, Soren trotted towards the back of the train. He traveled through the second passenger car before he reached the caboose. The caboose was housing the stallions that towed the train during the day, so he had to sneak by to prevent them from waking up.

Soren opened the caboose door that led outside. Once outside, he took flight and landed on the roof of the train.

Move to the front.

Wanting the voice out of his head as soon as possible, Soren obliged. He flew to the front car and stood there waiting for the voice to speak. As he stood there in the cool night, he noticed lights passing by him. Never noticed the lights by a train track.

Break them. Ten of them.

Although he was confused, Soren gave an annoyed sigh and focused on the lights anyway. It took a few attempts, but he managed to break a light with telekinesis. A few minutes later, Soren broke ten lights. He took a deep breath and waited.

Good...Good...

The voice trailed off. Soren sighed with relief and went back into his passenger car. Now he was tired as he got back into bed. Soren had one final thought before drifting off to sleep. What did I just do?