• Published 8th Feb 2013
  • 1,840 Views, 33 Comments

Soren the Alicorn Part 1: New Beginnings - KingNyroc15



A new alicorn arrives in Equestria. How exactly did he get here?

  • ...
57
 33
 1,840

Night Wing's Origin

"Ow, my head," Soren groaned as he sat up. He had a massive headache and the light pouring into the room didn't help. Adjusting his eyes, he looked around. He was once again on the floor of Twilight's library, this time with no one nearby.

Slowly standing up, Soren walked to the front door for some fresh air but stopped when the door opened for him. In walked Celestia, Luna, Twilight, and the rest of his friends. They were as shocked as Soren as they saw that he was awake. Before any of them could say anything, Pinkie Pie grabbed Soren into a massive bear hug.

"Oh my gosh, Soren, you're awake!" Pinkie exclaimed. "We were so worried about you. First you became mean and hypnotized all of us then Rainbow Dash got zapped by the princess then you froze and then you became normal and fell asleep." Pinkie let Soren go.

"Yeah, sorry about that by the way," Soren said to everypony. "I'm sure you're all mad at me, right?" Everypony in the room laughed. Soren was confused but soon smiled.

"Of course we ain't, sugarcube," Applejack assured. "We know it ain't your fault that that Guardian girl possessed you."

"Besides, we're all fine," Rainbow Dash added. Twilight turned towards Princess Celestia.

"Speaking of her, how did you know who she was? You even knew her name." Celestia looked upon the Elements of Harmony and the Elemental Guardian.

"I believe it's time to tell them the truth...right, Luna?" Luna nodded at her sister. "Sit down, my little ponies. It's time to tell you all the origins of the Nightmare Guardian." Everypony sat down on the floor and gave their princesses their full attention.

"It all began when Nightmare Moon existed in our world. As you all know, the battle between her and I lasted for quite some time. Although she was fully confident that she would defeat me, she didn't want to risk losing. She had a plan, an overly complicated plan that was designed to resurrect her should she lose. A few days before I would decide to use the Elements of Harmony against her, Nightmare Moon split herself, or rather her soul, into two pieces. One half would stay with her, while the other half went into hiding to manifest into who is known as the Nightmare Guardian.

"After Nightmare Moon was defeated by you six," Celestia continued, "the Nightmare Guardian awakened, fully formed and ready to fulfill her duty. Since her magic was probably unstable, the dark mare, who is known as Night Wing, had to remain in hiding to control her magic. Luna and I believe that during that time, Night Wing was planning out how to resurrect her master, Nightmare Moon, while she learned about our society. And now she is attempting said plan. Twilight, we need you, Soren, and the Elements to stop Night Wing before she has the power to capture Luna and bring back Nightmare Moon. My sister and I would stop her ourselves but we are sure she has ponies guarding here. There would be a higher chance for our defeat than hers."

A strong silence was in the air as everypony comprehended the situation. Celestia looked at Soren, who seemed lost in thought.

"Soren, what do you have to say about this?" she asked softly. Soren made eye contact with her.

"Sorry, I-I just have a lot to think about," Soren responded. Celestia gave him a smile and turned to look at everyone else.

"We fear this Nightmare Guardian will do more harm than you think she is capable of. We ask you all to help Soren, for he is probably the only one of you who can hope to stand up against her physically. Sister, I think we should let them think about this." Luna nodded and looked at Soren, who was back to thinking. "If any of you need us, we will be in our Ponyville home." Everypony except Soren nodded.

When the princesses left, Twilight and her friends spoke about the situation while Soren just sat there. Can Night Wing be so much stronger than we know? Will I even be able to match her power? Can my dreams help me learn about her? Speaking of dreams, who is Nyroc? What is Nyroc?

------------

The next day was strange to everyone. Soren refused to leave his house due to all of the questions without answers. He didn't even leave his home to get food, so Fluttershy had to bring him some. All of his friends started to worry. They knew he wasn't in trouble or anything; it was just unnerving to know that their friend refused to leave his house for anything.

The next day, Twilight and co. were below Soren's house, trying to come up with a plan to get him to come out. They only managed to think of one.

As his friends worried over him, Soren pondered the many questions that flooded his head. He sat on his bed with a hoof to his chin as he thought about anything and everything that came to mind. He had to think of a plan to stop Night Wing, but was he strong enough to face her? It would obviously come down to a fight in the end, but how can he make himself stronger? How ca-? His train of thought was cut off as he heard a loud noise coming from outside. After focusing on the world around him, Soren could hear a cello being played, and he could guess that it was being magnified by speakers. He knew it had to be Vinyl and Octavia.

Octavia was playing her cello to get Soren's attention, while Vinyl made it so the music would be loud enough that Soren would wish for it to be turned off. Octavia played a sad song in hopes that it would get through to him. That's what she expected would happen anyway. What she didn't expect was to hear a violin play the same exact song as her. She stopped playing, opened her eyes, and saw Soren standing in his doorway, playing the song she was playing. She stood there, mouth agape, (as was everypony else) as Soren finished her song. When it was over, Soren looked at his friends with a solid stare. Before someone could say something, Octavia quickly yelled at Soren.

"How do you know my song?!" she questioned loudly. "I never taught anyone my music!" Soren flew down in front of the cellist.

"It's my special ability," Soren explained. "I can copy songs just by listening to them." His horn glowed as an example. "You didn't have to teach me your song in order for me to play it." Soren smiled and walked towards the rest of his friends. Before he could reach everypony else, Soren was stopped by Octavia.

"Soren," she said softly. He looked at her. "I know you have a lot to think about, but we're your friends. Friends tell each other everything, that way we can help each other. Don't you think you can tell us whatever is troubling you?" Soren sighed in defeat.

"You're right, Octavia. I was trying to figure out everything on my own when I have all of my brilliant friends right here. I'm sorry I secluded myself in my house for a few days. Can you girls forgive me?" The mares nodded.

"Why was loud music playing from here?" Celestia asked as her and Luna landed. "We could hear that music from our house."

"It's fine, Princess," Vinyl Scratch replied. "I just needed to get Soren's attention, so I blasted the music loud enough to annoy him." The DJ continued to wear a smile, as if she was doing nothing wrong or over the top. After seeing Celestia raise an eyebrow in confusion, Twilight decided to explain everything.

"We needed Soren's attention because for the past two days he secluded himself within his house to think about things that were bothering him," Twilight explained. "And it seemed to work." The princess of the sun looked at Soren.

"What seems to be troubling you, Soren?"

"A lot of things about this Nightmare Guardian business, but I'm going to be talking to all of my friends about this from now on."

"Very well. I will always be available to help you as well. Just visit me in Canterlot if you have things that you need to discuss. I will be returning there very soon so just visit the castle whenever you feel the need."

"I will, princess. Thank you for the offer."

"You are very welcome. Luna, I take it you will continue to stay here?" Luna nodded. "Very well, I will see you all next time. Goodbye, everypony." Everypony said 'goodbye' as Celestia flew off. When the princess was gone, Octavia walked up to Soren.

"Since you've been locked up inside your house for quite a while, would you like to get some dinner with the rest of us?" Soren turned towards her and was about to answer, but he stopped suddenly. Soren looked into Octavia's eyes and saw something there that he's never seen before. She was expressing a different emotion than normal. Shrugging it off, he answered her.

"That sounds amazing right now," he replied. Soren then walked with his friends to a nearby restaurant.