• Published 8th Feb 2013
  • 1,839 Views, 33 Comments

Soren the Alicorn Part 1: New Beginnings - KingNyroc15



A new alicorn arrives in Equestria. How exactly did he get here?

  • ...
57
 33
 1,839

Arrival In Appaloosa

The morning came and Soren was the first pony to arrive in the dining car for breakfast. As he was enjoying his omelet and water, the girls walked in. He simply waved to them since food was in his mouth. As the friends all sat at the same table, Twilight was the first to ask something.

"Did you sleep well last night?"

Soren nodded and swallowed. "Much better than the night before that's for sure," Soren said. "How much longer until we reach Appaloosa?"

"An hour or so. Do we all remember the plan?" Everypony nodded.

"What do we do if Braeburn don't believe us?" Applejack asked.

"Don't worry you about that," Soren said just before Twilight could answer. His friends looked at him with questioning eyes. "I'll make sure they believe us. I think I can be quite persuasive if I wanted to."

"Ah hope that ain't a threat, Soren."

"Of course not. How could accuse of that, AJ? We all know I'm not that kind of pony." Applejack hung her head down.

"Sorry, Soren. It was just the way y'all worded it."

"I understand and it's fine. Let's just make sure we have the plan figured out, ok?" AJ nodded then they all discussed the plan again to pass the time.

During the discussion, Rainbow Dash moved closer to Soren as Twilight and Applejack were talking about what they would tell Braeburn.

"Soren," Rainbow whispered. He turned towards her. "Are you mad about last night?"

"I was more surprised than anything," he answered while also whispering. "But why would you do something like that? You know I'm with Luna. What would you do if our friends saw that?" Rainbow's ears drooped.

"I know, I know, it was stupid."

"Then why do it?"

"Because you're a cool pony." Soren was silent. He wanted to say more but didn't know where to start. "You put your friends before yourself, you're fast, you're determined, and I bet you're one of the few ponies that can compete with me."

"What do you mean-"

"So what are you two talking about?" Twilight asked, interrupting Soren's question. It was an innocent question but Soren was caught off guard nonetheless.

"N-Nothing really! Just making conversation." Soren gave a forced smile as Applejack and Rainbow Dash held back laughs. Twilight and Soren gave confused looks at their friends. Rainbow pointed to Soren's wings, which were extended. Soren groaned as he face-planted the table.

--------------

The train finally arrived in the town of Appaloosa. It was very different from Ponyville. It looked newer than Ponyville and, honestly, less sophisticated. But the town had its own charm nonetheless. Soren enjoyed the atmosphere, save for the heat and occasional dust. It was quiet and peaceful. He found it hard to believe that somepony would try to raid such a small settlement. As the four friends exited the train, they were greeted by a very happy stallion who looked about the same age as them.

"Welcome back, cousin!" the stallion exclaimed as he rapidly shook Applejack's hoof. "Ah see you brought some friends too. Please ta meet ya again." He proceeded to shake Twilight and Rainbow Dash's hooves in the same manner. The earth pony stallion was yellow-coated with a orange and yellow mane. His cutie make was a red apple and he wore a brown vest and cowboy hat. He looked at Soren and gave a ridiculously big smile.

"Wow! Ah never seen another alicorn other than the princesses before! What's your name, buddy?"

"S-S-Sore-e-en," Soren answered as his hoof was being shaken vigorously. "I'm guess-s-sing you're Brae-e-bur-rn?" Braeburn stopped shaking his hoof and nodded.

"Yes sir. Ah take it my cuz told you about me?" Soren nodded. "Well lemme be the first to welcome you to Appaloosa!" He used a lot of emphasis on the last word.

"Braeburn," Applejack said.

"Yes, cuz?"

"Do y'all remember why we're here?"

"'Course I do. Y'all are gonna help us with that Coyote Colt fella. You should talk to Sheriff SilverStar in town. I'll take you to him." Braeburn then escorted the four ponies through town.

As they were walking, Braeburn explained everything there is to know about Appaloosa to Soren. Soren only paid attention to the most important aspects of the town, like how there wasn't an official mayor and how this town was only a few years old.

They reached the town jail and stepped inside. Everypony quickly saw that the wall opposite the door was missing. Sheriff SilverStar was standing there looking at the damage.

"What happened, sheriff?" The sheriff turned towards his visitors. SilverStar was a tan earth pony with a brown mane and a moustache. His cutie mark was a silver six-pointed sheriff star. He was also wearing a blue vest, a red bandana tied around his neck, a black hat with a red stripe going across it, and (last but not least) a silver six-pointed sheriff star.

"Blasted bandits broke their buddy out of prison," the sheriff answered. "Ah don't know how they got explosives but Ah know who used 'em."

"Y'all don't think One-Winged Willie did it, do ya?" The sheriff nodded.

"So that pegasus that helps Coyote Colt does know how to fly!" Soren exclaimed. SilverStar gave Soren a glare.

"And just how do you know about that colt?"

"Umm," Soren hesitated, "can I explain everything in a more private area?" SilverStar looked at Braeburn, who nodded back.

"This way."

The sheriff led all of them to a town hall not far from the jailhouse. It had two floors; the first floor was a infirmary of sorts and the second floor held SilverStar's office. The six ponies gathered in the office, which wasn't made to hold this many ponies but they made it work. SilverStar sat at his desk and looked at Soren, who stood across from him.

"Go ahead. Enlight'n me." Soren took a deep breath and began explaining his dream for the fourth time. During this time, the sheriff had the same neutral expression on his face.

"So that's why we came here," Soren concluded. "We need to make sure this raid doesn't destroy this town. Will you help us?" SilverStar stared at Soren for a little longer before speaking.

"Y'all said that there was a performance happenin' right before the raid?" Soren nodded. "Well consider yourselves lucky. That's the only reason Ah believe you."

"Why that particular reason?" Twilight asked.

"Cuz a pair of singers arrived in town a two days ago. They've been performin' ever since. If what y'all say is true, then that raid will happen during their last show."

"And when's that?" Soren asked, not eager to hear the answer.

"Tomorrow."

"WHAT?!" Everypony but Braeburn and SilverStar exclaimed.

"Their next show is tomorrow near sundown. If what you say is true, then that raid is happenin' then. I reckon y'all are too late. Ah highly doubt four ponies can stop an entire raid." SilverStar's voice became slightly sad.

"No!" Soren shouted and slammed a hoof on the desk. SilverStar's eyes, and probably everypony else's, widened. "I'm not giving up that easily! There are ponies in danger here. We still have enough time to make this plan happen. Sheriff, I was told that this town became friends with a herd of buffalos. How long does it take to reach them from here?"

"Can't say exact time but they are quite a ways away. Just head south of here over them hills and you'll find 'em. Ah can easily say you won't make it back before tomorrow morning though."

"Oh I wasn't planning on it," Soren chuckled. His friends stared at him. "You see, I have a plan, and it doesn't involve me and Rainbow Dash getting back before tomorrow." Soren turned towards his pegasus friend. "Yes, you're coming with me since you know them. Before I explain the plan, I'll need to pay a visit to these performers."

"And why is that?" Rainbow asked what everyone was thinking.

"Because I've met them before and they will help in this plan. So..." Soren looked at Twilight. "Did I do good in improvising a plan?" Twilight chuckled. "Good. Now where are those performers, SilverStar? Lead the way." Although stunned by the alicorn's persistence, SilverStar led everypony to the Inn where the performers were staying.