• Published 8th Feb 2013
  • 1,840 Views, 33 Comments

Soren the Alicorn Part 1: New Beginnings - KingNyroc15



A new alicorn arrives in Equestria. How exactly did he get here?

  • ...
57
 33
 1,840

The Concert

The Next Day

"Soren, Celestia sent you a letter." Soren looked up from his work. He was writing down information for the concert on a piece of paper. As he was working in the library, Spike coughed up a letter and Twilight called for Soren. The alicorn trotted over to where the unicorn and dragon were.

"Is it alright if you read it out loud?" Soren asked Twilight. "I still have to finish planning for the concert." He levitated his paper and pen over to him.

"If you insist," she said while opening the scroll then starting to read.

"Greetings Soren,

I am pleased to hear that you and your friends already started to prepare for the upcoming performance. Please do not rush yourselves too much, for the concert was planned for three weeks after your answer. Luna has explained that you need assistance with your ensemble. With that said, I can send three ponies for the choir and three violinists to aid you. Also, I have taken the liberty of publicizing your concert to all of Canterlot and Ponyville. From what I can gather already, a few Canterlot ponies are already interested to hear you perform.

On an ending note, I am surprised my sister chose not to perform with you, although I understand her reasoning. From what her and Twilight have told me, you two sound great together. I would love to hear you two sing one day. Good luck on your preparations. The ponies I'm sending will arrive within a few days.

Take care,
Princess Celestia"

Twilight rolled the scroll up and placed it down. She ushered for Soren to show her what he has written down so far. On the piece of paper, Soren wrote down the order of performance, who will be in the concert, what songs he's going to sing, and what he needs before he starts practicing.

"After hearing the princess' letter, how many ponies do you still need to help you?" Twilight asked after she finished reading his notes.

"Actually, I think I have everything I need," he responded. "I can't believe Celestia just sent over ponies to help. It was like she thought the favor was nothing." Twilight chuckled.

"Princess Celestia is one of the most caring pony you'll ever meet, Fluttershy being one of them as well. I'm not surprised she wants to help you out. She is the one who gave you the concert afterall."

"You're right, but this seems like a bit much for just me." Soren looked at the clock in the library; it showed 5:30. "I think I should get going. Better make sure everypony is ready for weeks of practice. I'll see you tomorrow."

"See you then." After Soren left the library, Twilight conversed with Spike. "He has sure came a long way since we first met him."

"You can say that again," Spike said. "I remember how nervous he was when he met all of us. Now he's...mature."

"I noticed that too. I also thought of something strange during our trip to Appaloosa."

"What?"

"I don't know why, but I feel like I've met a pony like Soren before. Just the way he was handling situations over there...how calm he was..."

"I think your over-thinking things, Twilight. Soren is...Soren. I should finish my work. Talk to me about this again later if you want." With that said, the little dragon went upstairs to finish cleaning the library. Twilight shrugged and continued her studies.

------------

Two Weeks Later

Soren, Rainbow Dash, Octavia, Vinyl, and many other ponies were gathered in the Town Hall. They had just finished their second week of practice and were now lounging around in the building as Soren took the stage.

"Can I have everypony's attention?" he said with a loud voice. When everypony quieted down, Soren spoke normally. "Thank you. I would just like to say that you have all been fantastic during practice. I would be lying if I said we weren't ready for the concert. You all learned my songs so fast that I'm beyond impressed. I guess we should still spend the next week practicing, but I doubt we'll need it. Before we leave, I would like to thank all of you for helping to make my first concert a great one. I couldn't have done this without you. With that said, I can't wait to hear the results next week." When Soren was finished with his speech, everypony stomped on the ground in applause.

--------------

The Day Of The Concert

Soren was backstage looking through the curtains at the crowd of ponies that showed up. It had just become nighttime when the moonlight shined down upon a massive crowd. This was by far the biggest crowd he was going to perform for. Soren pulled his head away from the curtains to relax. There's no need to be nervous, he told himself. You and everypony else had three weeks of practice; everything will be fine. Vinyl and Octavia walked up to Soren, breaking his mental pep-talk.

"Do you have the pre-show jitters yet, Soren?" Vinyl asked. Octavia nudged her hard.

"Of course he does," she said. "Out there is probably the biggest crowd he's ever seen. Either way, you and I are up first, so Soren will have plenty of time to calm himself. Are you going to be fine by then, Soren?"

"I'll leave that up to the crowd and how they react to your music," Soren responded. "We'll do fine...I'm sure of it."

"Well then let's go, Tavi!" Vinyl exclaimed as she trotted to her turn tables. Octavia shook her head and left to join her.

------------

The two musicians' performance was amazing with their very captivating music. Throughout the concert, Vinyl and Octavia switched the way they performed. At first, Vinyl was performing alone, then Octavia provided background music. Afterwards, they switched roles, then Octavia was left performing solo.

Soren could see that the crowd was impressed. Never have they seen two very different genres of music combine so perfectly. I wonder how many of them recognize Octavia, Soren thought. His thoughts were stopped by Octavia finishing her last song. When it was over, the crowd applauded but didn't cheer. It should've been obvious that these upper class ponies wouldn't cheer.

Soren and his ensemble were up next. The stage was dark, and the crowd watched as silhouettes took their positions. Slowly, lights illuminated parts of the ensemble, starting with the choir, then the musicians, then lastly Soren. Gasps and murmuring could be heard from the crowd as they received their first view of the newest alicorn in Equestria. Soren nodded to everypony on stage to signal the start of the concert. The music started then Soren stepped to the microphone to start his biggest performance yet.

After the first few songs, Soren noticed that half of the crowd didn't look excited. At first, he shrugged it off and continued to sing, but eventually Soren became worried that they weren't enjoying the concert. With newfound determination, Soren chose to sing the duet he had planned. Sadly, instead of Luna singing it with him, another mare had to take her place. It wasn't all bad; the mare was great singer after all.

Soren sang first and used more emotion than during practicing. The next verse was when the mare joined him. When Soren heard a female voice singing that wasn't the planned pony's, he turned to where the mare was supposed to enter. Soren was surprised to see Luna singing and walking towards him. After he smiled, Soren worriedly looked at the crowd to discover that they were chatting with each other. Who knew what their reactions to this would be? Then another thought crossed his mind. Luna only watched us practice. She must have memorized the song then practiced alone.

When Luna and Soren finished the duet, they stood next to each other and smiled. He mouthed the words "Thank you" to her, and she nodded back to him. Soren then heard a wonderful sound: the crowd applauding for their princess. Soren and Luna were both surprised that the crowd loved the song. Soren gave Luna a half-hug as he waited for the crowd's applause to die down. When it finally did, Soren, Luna, Rainbow Dash, and the other performers began the remaining portion of the concert.

---------------

"Soren, that was amazing!" Pinkie Pie exclaimed. All of them were now backstage. The mares were congratulating Soren, Luna, and Rainbow Dash on a great performance.

"I have to agree with Pinkie Pie," Rarity said. "I never would have expected those ponies to like your style of music."

"It's all because Luna joined us," Rainbow Dash added. "Everypony out there loved the concert even more when she joined you, Soren."

"Thanks again, Luna," Soren said as he gave her a hug, which she gladly returned.

"I realized that lately we have not been there for each other, so I thought that tonight should be different," Luna replied.

"Well said, sister." Everypony turned to see Celestia appear backstage. Every musician except Soren, Luna, and their friends bowed. Celestia asked the other ponies to rise. "Wonderful performance, Soren. I knew it was a good idea to give you this opportunity."

"I can't thank you enough, princess," Soren said. "At first, I didn't think we could pull it off, but in the end, it was the most fun I've had in a long time."

"I'm glad you feel that way. I just came by to congratulate you and the performers on such a-"

"Tavi, it doesn't matter anymore. You showed them what you can do." Celestia was cut off by Vinyl and Octavia talking loudly in the distance. As they walked up to Soren and his friends, Octavia looked irritated while Vinyl tried to calm her down.

"Hey, you two. What's wrong?" Twilight asked.

"After the concert was over, some ponies walked up to me and Vinyl and had the nerve to offer me a job at that same restaurant I was telling Soren about," Octavia explained.

"And might I ask, Miss Octavia, why that is such a bad thing?" Celestia asked with a smile.

"Princess Celes...Wha...Why...?" Octavia was stammering since she was honored that Celestia knew who she was. "How do you know me? I'm not a very special pony."

"I beg to differ. Before you left Canterlot, I quite enjoyed your music when I would pass through the city. I was even thrilled when I was told that you would be performing during the Grand Galloping Gala. Even after that, you still only worked at that one venue in Canterlot. I would still like to know why you don't want another job here?"

"I wasn't happy here. I loved to perform, but it felt like my music wasn't blossoming like I wanted it to, so I left and eventually started living in Ponyville with Vinyl."

"I see. Well as long as you're happy where you are."

"I am. Thank you for your concern, princess." With a warm smile, Celestia nodded.

"Well I don't know about you all but I'm pretty beat," Rainbow said as she stretched. "Let's head back home."

"I can arrange transportation for all of you back to Ponyville if you wish," Celestia offered.

"That would nice," Twilight said. "Thank you, princess."

"I'd be lying if I said I was only slightly tired," Soren yawned. "Let's go." Later, Soren and all of his friends stepped onto chariots and were personally escorted back to Ponyville for a good night's rest. Soren definitely needed to sleep off the headache he was getting while attempting to sleep.