• Published 8th Feb 2013
  • 1,840 Views, 33 Comments

Soren the Alicorn Part 1: New Beginnings - KingNyroc15



A new alicorn arrives in Equestria. How exactly did he get here?

  • ...
57
 33
 1,840

The Dream

-----------------
3 days later
-----------------

Soren was walking through Ponyville, enjoying the relaxing, sunny day. He has grown quite used to the small town in the past week. He now has a new home in the sky that Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy helped him build. Also, Soren now knows where the main buildings are around town like Sugarcube Corner, Club Vinyl, and the Town Hall. Sugarcube Corner is a bakery of sweets; the pastries there range from cakes to muffins to cupcakes. This bakery is also the main hangout of Twilight and her friends since Pinkie Pie works there.

Soren feels like he is beginning to have a normal life, even though he still cannot remember his old one. With things becoming so nice, he isn't completely sure he wants to. He has interesting friends, a nice town to live in, and he was told he was the Elemental Guardian. Speaking of royal titles, he hasn't seen Princess Luna since last time when she kissed him. Soren stopped walking and put a hoof to his mouth, remembering that tender moment. Pretty soon, a voice called out to him.

"Hi, Soren. How are you?" The voice was none other than Twilight Sparkle. She smiled as she trotted up to her friend.

"I'm fine," Soren replied. "Just enjoying the sunny day." Soren and Twilight soon started walking side-by-side through town. Soren turned towards Twilight. "Have you seen the princesses lately?" Soren didn't specifically ask if Twilight has seen Luna because he has yet to tell his friends what happened between him and her a few days ago.

"Oh, the princesses went back to Canterlot yesterday. Royal emergency. They should be back any day. Did you want to ask Princess Celestia or Luna about something? Maybe I can help?" Or maybe you just want to see Luna. Twilight teased to herself. Soren shook his head as a response to all of Twilight's questions.

"No, I was just curious is all. The past few days have been...calm, especially compared to when I first arrived. I guess I was expecting excitement to be a normal thing around here or something." Soren chuckled at his own joke, but he didn't notice Twilight flinch when he said 'excitement.'

Why was Soren expecting excitement?, Twilight wondered. Sure he's supposed to be the Elemental Guardian, but that doesn't mean there's always going to be something interesting happening. There's more going on in his mind than he leads on. Twilight shrugged off the thought and looked at Soren.

"There's nothing wrong with a calm day now and again. Anyway, what have you been doing in your free time? Do you have a job yet? Nopony can go without bits." Soren found it funny how Twilight, being a scholar, always asks a lot of questions.

"I don't have a job yet; haven't been looking. And in my free time, I usually come up with songs to sing, sometimes ones where the audience can maybe participate." Twilight's smile grew and Soren noticed it. She has an idea, I just know it. Soren waited for her response.

"If you don't have a job, then maybe you should consider working with me. You can help Spike clean around the library or stack books. Celestia also said you'll need to study some magic. It's perfect!" Twilight nearly jumped for joy at her idea. Soren laughed at her excitement and agreed to work for her.

----------------------------
A few more days later
-----------------------------

Soren has been working for Twilight for almost four days. He really enjoys working at the Ponyville Library, regardless of it being very quiet and calm. The work wasn't too hard; Twilight gives him a fair pay salary; and in his free time, he studies just about anything. Soren also sang new songs now and again while working, but the best part of working there was the stories that Twilight tells him. Stories about some stallion she used to travel with called the Doctor. She refused to go into too much detail but the ponies and creatures they met were so interesting to Soren. He started to question if her stories were true since many places didn't exist in the Equestrian Encyclopedia.

One day, Soren was in the library trying to get Twilight to tell another one of her stories. "C'mon...just one more for today?" Twilight sighed and smiled. Soren was like a foul constantly asking for more bedtime stories.

"Sorry, Soren. The more I tell you, the more you won't belive me. Plus, you haven't even completed your work for today yet." She sweeped her hoof across the entire room. Books were laying everywhere on the floor. Soren's ears went back in embarrasment. Right before he could get back to work, though, a loud voice boomed from outside.

"CITIZENS OF PONYVILLE! WE HAVE AN ANNOUNCEMENT TO MAKE! PLEASE JOIN US AT THE TOWN SQUARE!" Soren saw Twilight face-hoof and groan.

"What was that?" Soren asked with confusion.

"The Royal Canterlot Voice," Twilight replied. "Let's go." The two of them and Spike then proceeded to leave the library.

Almost all of Ponyville was surrounding Town Hall. Standing in front of the entrance to the building were two familiar alicorns: Princess Celestia and Princess Luna. Soren was so happy that Luna returned that he almost didn't hear the first half of Celestia's announcement.

"Citizens of Ponyville. I would like to announce that my sister will be staying in Ponyville for a few weeks to conduct...an experiment. She is not to be disturbed unless you need help. If she requires assistance with her experiment, she will glady ask you. Other than that, please give Princess Luna the peace she needs." Celestia was addressing the entire crowd, but at the end of her speech, she saw Soren. She smiled and then winked at him. Twilight noticed Soren flinch. Did she figure it out, Soren asked himself, or did Luna tell her? After the speech ended, Celestia and Luna walked over to Twilight, her friends, and Soren.

"How are all of you doing?" Celestia asked them.

"No complaints," "Fine," "Tired," and "Busy" were most of the responses as the mares answered their princess all at once. Celestia looked at Soren.

"How are you adjusting to life in Ponyville, Soren?" He glanced at the smiling Luna ('She's still in her younger form, he thought), then answered Celestia.

"I'm doing fine. Got a job working for Twilight at the library, I have my own house, and I'm working on some new songs." Celestia nodded at him, and Luna proceeded to stand by him. Soren blushed but only the princesses noticed it.

"Princess Celestia," Twilight started, "if I may ask, what kind of experiment is Luna working on?" Celestia chuckled lightly.

"My faithful student, I think it best that nopony knows what Luna is truly working on. It's a surprise." Everypony accepted that answer. If they weren't supposed to know, then they weren't going to know. "Now if you all will excuse me, I must get back to Canterlot." With that said, the solar princess got onto a chariot led by two guards and flew away. Pinkie Pie started bouncing and smiling.

"Ooo, ooo, princess! I have the best idea ever!" Everypony looked at the pink, party mare. "We should all have a sleepover to celebrate you staying here." Half of the mares (and Soren) face-hoofed. Only Pinkie would make some random excuse to throw a party, they thought. Luna simply laughed.

"If it would please thee that much then we will accept your party invitation." All of the girls, except Pinkie, stood mouths agape at the princess' answer. They never would have expected Luna to easily agree to something like that. Soren could only smile. A sleepover with all my friends and my crush...This should be interesting.

---------------

It was around 8 o'clock at night before everypony was gathered at Twilight's library. The six mares, Spike, Soren, and Luna all got comfy in the center room of the decently sized library. Pretty soon, conversations started. The conversations ranged from recent activities to gossip to random topics. No matter how awkward or weird the conversation seemed to get, everypony was having a blast.

It was well past nine when the conversing ponies changed to a game of truth or dare. Not many dares were picked, it was mostly Rainbow Dash or Spike or Pinkie Pie accepting dares, so it became a more personal version of their previous conversations. Nopony was bored though.

Talking was eventually replaced by singing. Soren sang a few of his newest songs, but the other ponies started to teach Soren some holiday songs like 'Winter Wrap' or songs for Hearth's Warming Day.

Singing was soon replaced by scary stories, most of which were told by Rainbow. After the stories were done, the mares and boys became tired, so it was finally time to rest...except a certain white alicorn would have trouble doing that.

-------------

Show him mercy.

'What? Where am I?'

A barren landscape appeared before Soren. The air was still and there wasn't a sun or moon in sight. He did see a camp of sorts farther ahead.

Do the right thing.

'I'm going to do the wrong thing? When? And who do I have to show mercy to?!' Soren yelled to the voice in his head. He spoke no words; he simply yelled with his mind.

The camp wasn't very big. Tents littered the place and ponies stumbled about. None looked clean or healthy.

One pony stood out. He was a blue earth pony stallion...and he was grinning at Soren.

Lightning flashed. The blue stallion was on the ground, defeated. A pony stood on top of him, holding a hoof in the air aiming down.

'Don't hurt him!' Soren shouted with his mind. Of course, no one heard him.

What have I become? This voice was different than the last. It was familiar.

'Is that...?'

Lightning flashed again. Soren saw the pony above the blue stallion better.

White coat, black mane.

Burning, raging, green eyes.

A horn...and wings.

'What?' he whispered in horror.

-------------

Soren sat up with a jolt, panting and looking around at his environment. He was still in the library and saw that all of his friends were still asleep. Steadying his breathing, Soren got up and walked to the library's balcony for some fresh air.

The balcony was pretty spacious, with only a fairly large telescope on it. It was the middle of the night but he enjoyed the cool, autumn breeze. Soren put his fore-legs over the railing and just stared at the town in front of him. He gave a big, relaxing sigh and continued to stare into town...until somepony walked up behind him.

"Thou couldn't sleep?" Soren turned around to see Luna, who was practically shining under the moon light. Still so beautiful, he thought. Soren couldn't stop himself from walking up to Luna and hugging her.

She returned the hug when he said, "I missed you." Their embrace ended and Soren answered her question. "No, I couldn't sleep. I had a really strange dream. I didn't know what to make of it." Luna stood beside Soren as they looked out upon the town. They didn't look at each other as they conversed.

"Always remember your dreams," Luna said. "Thou will never know when they will be useful. But we shant dwell on it now. We have been wanting to speak with you for awhile now." Soren cocked an eyebrow as if he was saying, "Oh?" Luna paused but soon continued. "When did thou first have a crush on us?"

"I guess when I first saw you," Soren chuckled. "In this form you're the same age as me, but still as beautiful." Luna almost blushed, but she had one last question.

"When will thou tell the other mares about thy crush?" Soren finally turned towards Luna.

"Whenever you're ready to." Soren gave Luna a quick kiss, which finally made her blush. "We should get some sleep." Luna nodded and the two alicorns started heading back into the library to rest, but Soren stopped her by suddenly turning around.

"Just one last question: How did you get a crush on me?" Luna laughed and looked Soren dead in the eyes.

"Because thou was the only pony brave enough to keep thy crush on a princess and follow it." Luna walked inside the library, leaving Soren behind. Consider myself lucky, he thought before following the princess inside.