• Published 12th Feb 2013
  • 1,576 Views, 113 Comments

Unintended Consequences - Daedalus



Twilight Sparkle does human-summoning Science. He gets into Shenanigans.

  • ...
11
 113
 1,576

Leave the Job to the Professionals!

Rarity was supremely busy. She (and her friends, of course! She couldn't forget them, now, could she?) were going to the Grand Galloping Gala in- oh, was it six or seven months? She had forgotten to keep track of the time, that was how busy she was. But to go to the premier social event of the season required the best couture that could be found, and Rarity would be the pony to provide it. As it was, she could only just manage to get any sleep, and only because she had contracted Aristotle to help sew her prototypes together. He was the only one she could trust not to betray her secrets and in possession of the required dexterity for sewing. And the song he hummed while working was quite pleasant to hear.
The real problem, Aristotle had noticed, with this clothing was that it was for fur-covered animals. The dresses would get too hot to wear, and ponies somehow had a taboo against removing clothing in public. That and the dresses' intended wearers seemed dead set on trampling Rarity's- the Boss's, rather, artistic vision into the dirt by offering suggestions that paid no heed to the rules of good taste. Rainbow Dash would ask for her dress to be "cooler". What did that even mean? Applejack had no conception of clothing worn purely to look good and wanted to dress like a farmhand. Twilight took the factual accuracy of her dress's star map far more seriously than even Aristotle, noted pedant, considered reasonable. Pinkie Pie bothered the man on a metaphysical level, so he refused to deal with the mad pink horse. Fluttershy criticized his sewing. Aristotle was still learning how to sew, for Sun Wukong's sake! Who would expect any modicum of competency from him, let alone the stitching the Boss had proclaimed adequate (high praise, from her)? Enough was enough. Aristotle was going to lecture these nitpickers. Lecture them so hard. So. Hard.
In a few days, Rarity stopped receiving complaints on her work. Her couture turned out the similar to if Aristotle hadn't been there, just sooner. And Twilight Sparkle wrote in her next friendship letter that she had learned to never anger someone who is normally nice to you. The results could be scary.

Author's Note:

I'm back again! This was an exercise to try to get used to writing once more. Let me know how I did. By the way, the song Aristotle is mentioned to hum is Putting It Together by Barbra Streisand. It's like Art of the Dress, but about music instead of clothing, for those not in the know. Hopefully, I should get back to writing more often in the near future. So, offer comments, critiques, complaints, suggestions, and anything else you think I should hear. See you soon!