• Published 20th Jan 2013
  • 2,025 Views, 78 Comments

Life,Death,and Rebirth - Shadow-Dancer



A mans journey to recovery, self discovery, and of things long hidden

  • ...
26
 78
 2,025

Chapter 6: Royal Invitations, Magic and Dreams

Chapter 6: Royal Invitations, Magic and Dreams

I woke up with a jolt, the memories of my dead family and friends continuing to haunt me in my sleep, I got up and decided against trying to go back to sleep in fear that the nightmares would haunt me some more I let myself pray for a moment, after my prayer I got up almost tripping over myself twice. I need to really start practicing getting up from bed, I pondered in my head.

When I regained my balance I went to the table only a few feet from my bed and saw the book titled, Novice Spells for Young Unicorns. I picked it up using one of the few spells I knew besides the weak illusions I cast on my body, and opened the book. It contained both the telekinesis spell and the weak illusion spells I already knew how to cast. As I read further it also contained a weak healing spell and how to cast it, explaining it could only heal a superficial cuts or scratches. I decided to try to learn it, the spell was quite simple all that the caster had to do was mold their magic around the cut like telekinesis, and pour a bit more magic in on two sides of the wound and lightly “push” the magic together, as one would push objects, and not even a scar is left.

I closed the book and decided to go upstairs and have some breakfast before it was too late, I recast the illusion spells on my horn and teeth, when I arrived at the main floor of the library I was greeted with the smell of pancakes and eggs and Spike at the stove cooking.

“Good morning Spike,” I greeted

Spike turned towards me and replied, “Morning Shadow.” He then turned back around and continued cooking, flipping a pancake and putting another on a nearby plate, I went to the table and sat down on a stool like chair and as I did that, Twilight came downstairs hair messy.

Good morning Twilight, what happened to your hair?” I inquired

Twilight walked over and also sat down, summoning a brush and corrected her hair… err mane, brushing it back to what it was always like, at least from the first time I meet her, That’s when she answered my question.

“Oh morning Shadow, I was doing some studying on myths and legends in Equestria,” She said in a matter of fact tone

“What did you find?” I asked curious of what myth or legend Twilight was looking for.

“I’ll tell you later when we train in magic downstairs later today,” Twilight replied in a whisper so only I could hear what she was saying.

“Okay,” I responded in a whisper “We can talk about it then, also what time do you want to meet?”
Twilight thought about it for a few seconds and answered, “It is currently nine in the morning so how about… one in the afternoon.”

I immediately responded, “Okay sounds good to me.”

By that time Spike put the pancakes on the table grabbed some syrup and forks and we began eating.
Wow, I thought, Spike’s cooking can give professional chefs on Earth a run for their money.

It was a quiet breakfast as Twilight exhausted the only topic that she had, not to mention we did not want Spike to know my true nature.

An hour later we finished eating our meal and Twilight this time gathered all the dishes with her magic and put them in the sink, and Spike started washing them.

I thought on what I could do to pass the next two hours and I decided upon doing some more flying thinking the extra practice would not hurt, seeing it was nice out.

So I walked outside, looking around for any Pegasi flying in my direct vicinity, I spotted none so I bent all four of my knees and took off flapping my wings at regular intervals to keep from falling. I looked at the wood buildings around me admiring the simplicity and practicality of every building.

I decided to fly to the castle in the Everfree Forest and pick my things up. When I arrived I destroyed my cot and tossed the pieces away, once that was done I dispelled the invisibility spell around my horn and picked up my pack putting in it the meteor fragment that I used as my knife among other objects. Once that was done I put the pack on to see if it would hinder my flight, it didn't.

I quickly flew back to the library, landed, and opened the door going down to the basement where I put the pack down with my magic, realizing I did not cast the invisibility spell on my horn.

I scorned myself ‘Fuck I need to pay more attention to my actions, well at least now if Twilights friends visit the castle they should not be as likely worried that I died, they probably will think I moved to a cave or something hopefully, and now I have my belongings.’

With that I heard hoofsteps down the stairs and looked over to see twilight, “Two hours passed already? Wow time fly’s when you gather your belongings from a thousand plus year old castle.” I said as if it was no big deal.

Twilight had a look of disbelief, “W-wait you went through the Everfree Forest to get your human belongings?”

I did something very childish and smiled faking innocence, “Why what’s wrong?”

“You of all ponies should know what is wrong with that.” Twilight scorned, annoyed with my behavior.

“Okay, okay it was not the wisest decision I have made but I did not want to risk your friends worrying about me so I made it look like I moved somewhere else, and I wanted to bring the bag because it has some things including my clothes in it so if I can turn back to my human self I am not naked. Why are you worrying anyways, I am twenty- three years old ‘and been through worse’ for crying out loud!” I exclaimed a bit annoyed that she is thinking of me as a child.
Twilight let out a huff and said, “Well anyway I still need to teach you magic and Celestia sent you a message.
Twilight had a wrapped up piece of paper with a yellow seal I grabbed it with my own magic and broke the seal noticing it was not paper it was more like the parchment used in the middle ages on Earth, but I ignored that and went straight to reading the text.

Dear Marcus,

I would like it if you and Twilight Sparkle came to Canterlot tomorrow I would like to tell you something that I believe you should know, a chariot will be sent in the morning to pick you both up.

-Celestia

I was curious of what the Princess wanted to talk to us about but I stowed that curiosity away for tomorrow, looked at Twilight, and said “Princess Celestia wants to see us she is sending a chariot to pick us up tomorrow.”

“Well…” Twilight paused, taking a deep breath, “Let’s just get to your magic lessons for today.”
“I thought you said you found something; I believe it was something about Equestrian myths and legends that you wanted to tell me in private,” I stated before we could continue.

Twilight paused for a moment, as if remembering something and replied, “Oh I wanted to tell you that when I first met you I thought I recognized what you looked like and the word Human, and just yesterday I decided to look around for any references of Humans in books containing myths and legends, and I found something,”
Twilight gives me the book and I walk over and set it down on the table and I start reading,

Humans

These creatures are a bit of an enigma, as very little is written about them in any texts. In the few ancient texts that mentioned them, they were described to be taller than the average pony and able to look at the princesses strait in the eyes, standing on two legs like diamond dog, having hands like a minotaur but far more dexterous. It is also said that they eat ponies, and their magic is different from ponies as well, some theorists even say that Discord was once a human but after ponies started to fear his abilities and proficiency with magic along with the oddity of his magic. They avoided him and called him a monster, and after a while he turned himself into the Draconequus we know as Discord, and effectively became the monster others saw him as. This is just a legend told about Discord and has little actual backing, so take it for little worth and validity.

I closed the book, interested about what was said about humans, and that they were mentioned at all. I gave the book back to Twilight were she went back upstairs and put it away in her library, coming down to the basement soon after.

“Now let’s get started, I we will start with the known history of magic…”

Twilight taught me everything about magic’s history, and I swear that every time she even mentioned a pony named Starswirl the Bearded I could see her eyes light up. I was taught many revelations in magic even the discovery of teleportation made by Clover the Lucky a century after Starswirl, I was wrapped up in the history of magic and discoveries of spells only stopping for lunch, I always like history, even when I was in school, eight years ago I was fascinated with everything about it from wars to inventions and discoveries, magic’s history was somewhat similar to major scientific studies, back on Earth, they even had a pony equivalent for Einstein, I started to remember what happened that night and quickly shoved the thought aside before they could get worse..

“…and that sums up most of the history of magic up to the classical era, tomorrow I will teach you magic from after the classical era to present day.”

I looked at the time and noticed it was now six PM, ‘Wow that went fast, oh well, I’m sure that Spike’s cooking something right now or already is finished.’

Twilight and I both went upstairs the same thing on our minds, when we arrived we did so to the smell of spaghetti and garlic bread, at this point my mouth was watering, I never had had it in a long time.

“Wow that smells good Spike what is it?” Twilight stated like it was not a surprise.

We then sat at the table that was set up for all of us spaghetti and garlic bread in the middle and ate, as we did the only sounds were that of eating, complements to Spike on his cooking and small talk.

It was eight PM when we finished eating and we all proceeded to bed, when I arrived to the basement and in extension my bedroom, I got on my bed and slept my dreams filled with memories of my father.

Author's Note:

I am back after my long hiatus, sorry about that I have been in a RP for a while and got distracted and life did not help as well.