• Published 20th Jan 2013
  • 2,026 Views, 78 Comments

Life,Death,and Rebirth - Shadow-Dancer



A mans journey to recovery, self discovery, and of things long hidden

  • ...
26
 78
 2,026

Chapter 15: Human Again

Chapter 15: Human Again

I woke up about thirty-six hours later. When I woke up I did what most would do, take a look around the room but I only saw vague shapes and colors, but could hear beeping and hushed chatter. As my vision was started to clear I recognized Celestia looking at me with glazed eyes and mumbling incoherently her face showing evident worry, her eyes red and the fur around them matted. In her worry, she did not recognize that I woke up until I spoke, “How long have I been out?”

Celestia jumped back and then looked at me for a second before she lunged forward and wrapped her wings and front hooves around me as I sat up, “I was so worried that you were going to die from the pain but we couldn't stop or we would have killed you anyway, I’m sorry I put you through that pain, I’m so sorry.”

I was confused about what she was talking about until my mind filled in the blanks and with a quick flex I found that I was back to a human shape. I did not know exactly how to respond to her crying so I just returned the hug and said the only thing that came to mind, “It’s alright, I’m still alive.”

We sat there as Celestia cried into my shoulder and I thought about our relationship as mother and son, ‘Maybe someday I will come to consider her my mother by more than just blood, maybe someday.’ For many minutes we were silent and Celestia’s cries slowed to sobs, then even her sobs quieted down and then she raised her head and looked at me her gaze reflective and nostalgic. “I remember when your father first arrived, before my sister's transformation into Nightmare Moon. We detected odd magical activity in the Everfree forest just an hour outside of the city of Everfree, naturally we sent the guard to investigate. Imagine our reactions when the guards brought a legendary creature that’s kind had not been seen since the man who was known as Starswirl the bearded arrived fifteen years before the Windigo crisis....”

Celestia continued to tell the story of how they first met but since I don’t want to write it all down right now I’ll try to summarize the rest the best I can. My father was brought to Celestia and Luna and initially detained for a few hours, in that time they talked about the implications of a human arriving, because apparently humans are usually sucked from Earth to Terin in times where major events, mostly conflicts are to occur soon after. Yea it really had me thinking about why I was pulled here after my death, but I banished the thoughts that at the time and even now are very emotionally charged. Anyway after their meeting they questioned him about where he was from and how he arrived an hour away from the city of Everfree.
My father explained to them that he was fighting in Vietnam and a mine blew and next thing he knows he wakes up to horses dragging him to some unknown location. Celestia also told me he had a harsh edge to his voice during the entire meeting. Overall, Luna and my father did not get along too well and he barely got along with Celestia and that about summarizes the meeting.

By the time Celestia finished, I saw her sitting down on a nearby chair before she looked at the clock, “Well I need to hold day court soon, thanks for listening Marcus.”

“Your welcome, thanks for sharing that story but it does leave me with some questions that I want to ask.”

Celestia looked down and sighed before looking back up moments later, “Tonight you can ask your questions over dinner”

A flash of magic enveloped the room and Celestia was gone off to hold her day court. Not wanting to be on the bed forever, I lifted my legs to the side of the hospital bed and started to put a little pressure onto my feet, from there the more difficult process of getting up started. Upon my first attempt I wobbled and was forced to sit down. On my second, I still was without my full balance but could stand while using the bed to balance. It took me several more tries for my brain to rewire back to the familiar bipedal posture that it used to use several months ago, but in the end, I succeeded in regaining the ability to walk on two legs.

With my success came a reminder that I hadn’t ate for a while and a realization that the only thing I had on was a hospital gown. The second problem was solved quickly when I discovered a forest camo BDU sitting down on a nearby counter with the name patch reading, ‘Vindex’ and a note on top of it.

Dear Marcus,

I figured that you would need some clothes once you woke up so I found some and had a tailor make your undergarments.

With love, Celestia

With a slight smile and dressed myself in my fathers old cloths . I was about to walk out the door when the same doctor that oversaw my recovery from the battle against the changelings walked in and saw me standing up. “Sir I recommend for you to sit down so I can check to see if the spell had any side effects.” he said eyes wide and his ears looked like they some how got even straighter on his head.
I waved my head in response, “I’m fine right now and am able to walk and function like normal, so don’t worry I’ll be alright.”

The Doctor looked at me standing up and huffed in response and got out of my way, “If you say so.”

I walked past him and went to the barracks mess hall. My hunger superseded logic when I did not think of the reaction from the guards upon seeing an unknown biped that claimed that he was the pony Shadow Dancer but back in his normal human form, especially after the changeling attacks. Well that reaction was a circle of Royal Guard members with spears pointed at me, and Captain Shining Armor walking up to me with his magic at the ready.

I looked towards the Captain, “Good morning sir.”

“Who and what the buck are you and why are you here!” He growled

“My name is Marcus, you would know me as Shadow Dancer I’m a human and I came here to eat in the mess hall.”

Of course the Captain did not believe me, and asked one of the stupidest questions known to anyone, “How do I know you're the same pony as Shadow Dancer and not some Changeling?”

As much as I wanted to say that his question was fucking stupid I replied by giving him my seven digit Guard Identification Number, that we were forced to remember. Before he could speak up I continued, “If I were a Changeling why would I pick a form that would get me caught like this?”

He ordered the guards to stand down and demanded me to follow. I complied wanting to get this sorted without involving Celsetia or Luna. We entered the barracks and went towards his office all the way I mentally cursed a few times a little disappointed that I did not see this coming.

Once we were at the office door he said, “Guards, two of you wait out here the rest of you are dismissed.” Captain Shining Armor looked at me, “You enter through the door and sit down, no sudden moves.”

I kept compliant and answered with a nod, as we entered the room and sat down. I in front of the desk and the Captain behind it. The meeting reminded me dead on of one with one of my superior officers, almost to even the stony expression on his face. Anyway I’m getting off track.

We ended up going through a boring as hell Q&A session in which he asked and I answered. After another twenty minutes I was irritated, and he finally was somewhat convinced after I recalled almost every event during training and the battle against the Changelings. “Okay you may go now, but I will talk to the princesses about this later, and then we can talk about reworking the paperwork.”

I let out a breath that I had been holding, “Thank you sir.” With a respectful salute, I walked out of the barracks. My stomach growled and I headed for the royal kitchen and hoped that I would not run into the same problem again.




Author's Note:

Enjoy the chapter and as always comment and point out mistakes. (Small edit on Starswirls arrival, for consistency in future chapters.)