• Published 20th Jan 2013
  • 2,026 Views, 78 Comments

Life,Death,and Rebirth - Shadow-Dancer



A mans journey to recovery, self discovery, and of things long hidden

  • ...
26
 78
 2,026

Chapter 10:

Chapter 10:

I finished my tomato soup, it was nothing special but it was a warm meal so I was not worried. My stomach satisfied, I asked some guards if they had seen Twilight Sparkle, and much to my satisfaction they did. Saying that she was heading toward the Canterlot Library when they last saw her. I thanked them after getting directions to the library.

It was a short but confusing walk to the library, every one of the halls looked exactly the same. Well I did eventually arrive in the library and it was not long till I saw Twilight sitting at a table reading some book presumably on magic theory of one thing or another. “Hello Twilight.” I said in a pleasant voice really not wanting to scare her.

With a yelp Twilight fell back in her seat. I sighed as she righted herself with a pained groan, when we made eye contact she blushed, “Oh, hey there Mar...Shadow sorry about that display there you startled me.”

“Sorry about that Twilight. Anyway I came here because I wanted to learn some more... spells.” The word felt odd on my tongue “As for why, I was planning to join the royal guard, and figured levitation and basic healing spells would only get me so far definitely with a job like what I am signing up for, so can you help me?”

Twilight smiled, “Sure I’ll be glad to teach a few more spells and give you some study material to learn more. I only want to know why you decided to join the royal guard?”

“After breakfast I looked for a training yard for the sake of finding something some what familiar to me and learn how to use this body in case I have to fight without any type of weapon. From there I met a pony named Shining Armor, and sparred with him he beat me just as I was getting a hang of the new body, and how to use it properly in a fight. We bumped hooves and he asked if I wanted to join the guard, I decided that it would be a good idea to join given my experiences back home, and here we are.”

Twilight’s eyes lit up with recognition when I said Shining Armors name “So you met the captain of the guard and my brother of all ponies, sparred with him and he invited you to join the guard?”

I nodded, wrapping my head around the fact that I met Twilight’s brother of anyone I could have met and that he held a high rank in the guard. I also realized it seemed that both held high prestige in the pony society. Not wanting to think about how odd it was that I met her brother without realizing it and that on the same note my first ever contact with pony society was with the student of Celestia, my supposed biological mother confirmed to be so by my father journal. I decided to push all those thoughts away not wanting to think about what my father hid from me for years and only now after his death do I know the truth. I felt a tear run down my eye the memories once more playing in my head, tormenting my soul and refusing to go away, no matter how much I wished them gone.

“Marcus, are you okay?” Those words softly said by Twilight snapped me from my dark thoughts, I could clearly hear her concern.

I looked at Twilight and replied, “Sorry just memories coming back to me at inconvenient times, but other than that I’m alright. So can we begin the magic practice now Twilight, or when would a good time be to do so?”

Twilight closed her book after placing a bookmark, “I’m not doing too much at the moment so now would be fine, but the library is not the best place for you to practice. Follow me, I know a much better place for you to learn.”

I nodded and followed Twilight to this place that she was talking about, I could not tell you how to get there even now the halls still confused me. Anyway, we arrived ten minutes later, the area was quite spartan with some different areas for different types of spells. I could hear the firing of spells, and the air around us felt like it was rapidly thinning out and going back to normal it was so quick I barely even noticed the change.

Twilight looked nostalgic as she looked around before turning her attention back to me “Well here we are, welcome to the Magic Training Room.”

I did not complain about the name, it worked so why worry. “So where do we start?”

I saw Twilight’s eyes twinkle in what I hoped was excitement. “Well lets start with a stun spell.”
From there Twilight told me the mechanics on how to focus the energy and I did it.

I don’t know if I mentioned it before but Magic still follows the laws of physics that we all know and love, it just quickens an occurrence or causes what is already there to behave in the fashion the user wants. An example is a stun spell, all the user does with their magic is rub molecules within the area in front of the user together and create an electric charge, when the spell is released the charge flies forward until it hits something or is dispersed. Of course this happens with in seconds but the idea is the same. Something that I did learn is that unicorn specific magic is affected by emotions,personality, and moral disposition. I will expand on this in much more detail in a separate chapter and later on in my tale

.Anyway in the span of three I learned multiple spells that Twilight felt would help me during my time in the royal guard of course I had different proficiency with each but that was to be expected as I just started using them as Twilight said at one point I would get much better with the spells overtime.

“Well that does it for today Shadow, you can practice those for awhile and tell me once you get better with them.” Twilight looked at a clock on one of the walls in the Magic Training Room. “Well it is getting late and we have not had dinner yet, lets see what the cooks are serving up sound good?”

I nodded agreeing that it was a good time to get some food and call it a night.

We later got food and we ate silently talking about the occasional thing on our minds at times, that was when Twilight brought up a sensitive topic, “Did you have any friends back on Earth?”

I looked at Twilight and back to my already finished meal, ‘Of course I had fucking friends and two of them are fucking dead, along with my parents.’ I wanted to shout, but instead said “Yes.” I did not hide my anger, growling the word.

I watched Twilight's ears flatten, and before more could be said I left for my room my thoughts running rampant along side of memories, most of all my memories of my father came up even more with my new knowledge. I wished I never had to find out, ignorance was indeed bliss but I also know it’s dangers, every part of my experience in the military reminding me of that little detail. Once I got to my room I read more of my fathers journal. Trying to imagine what he experienced on this planet, and keep hold of the last piece of himself that he left behind.

Author's Note:

Will try to update at least once a month, anyway enjoy