• Published 20th Jan 2013
  • 2,026 Views, 78 Comments

Life,Death,and Rebirth - Shadow-Dancer



A mans journey to recovery, self discovery, and of things long hidden

  • ...
26
 78
 2,026

Chapter 4: Lessons,Friends, and Dreaming of Luna?

Chapter 4: Lessons, Friends, and Dreaming of Luna?

Shadow Dancer’s POV

I woke up rather relaxed my sleep not plagued by nightmares, so I got up carefully lifting Twilight off my chest, she moved slightly but was not disturbed, I got up and stretched hearing a few pops as my spine was realigned.

I then went to the fire pit and attempted to grab the wood nearby, I failed miserably. Damn! I need to remember I don’t have hands anymore. I thought to myself. So I tried what Twilight did to levitate the mirror, so I focused on the wood and willed it to move up and to the fire pit, nothing happened, I was truly puzzled on how this magic thing worked, so I decided that I would ask Twilight to teach me after breakfast. A few minutes later Twilight woke up, “Morning Twilight how was your sleep?” I said in an upbeat tone

“Morning Mar… I mean Shadow.” Twilight responds yawning

I look at her and ask hungrily, “What’s for breakfast?”

She looks at me a bit surprised and replies searching her saddle for food and comes unsuccessful, “I thought you would make something Shadow?”

I look at Twilight for a moment and respond, “I can’t figure out how to make a fire without my hands and not to mention you don’t eat meat, so I did not know what you wanted, and I thought you could come up with a better idea.” I laughed and also added, “My training in the Marines never prepared me for anything like this.”

Twilight walks to the exit and says, “Well thanks for not making assumptions; I’ll go outside to gather some things that we can have so I will be back in a few minutes.”

About five minutes later Twilight came with an assortment of plants that looked like daisies, and an assortment of wild grains. I wondered why this was so appealing to ponies of this world. Well I have eaten meat all my life and the few ponies I know call it a revolting meal and still did not complain about me eating it, so who am I to judge? I think to myself.

“I gathered some food Shadow!” Twilight called out

I watched as she turned the various plants into a salad, I went to the area where I put my makeshift dishes and I grabbed a set of bowls with my mouth and laid them in front of twilight as she put some of the salad in my bowl than the rest in hers. I reached down with my neck to go and eat the salad, when I started eating it felt a bit awkward at first, seeing as I usually ate with silverware, but I eventually got use to it. The salad was surprisingly very good as if I was eating a salad back on earth, the memories pained me for a moment, but than before Twilight could notice the sudden change I shook the memories off.

“This is actually quite good Twilight better than I expected even.” I complemented

Twilight a bit surprised about my comment than replied, “Thanks Shadow.”

We sat there and ate; about a minute later when we both were done with our food Twilight used her levitation spell and put the bowls to the side. I then decided that I should ask her to teach me some spells that I could use to not look odd when I decided to visit the populace that Inhabited Equestria. So I asked, “How do I use magic? I know I used it to talk to Princess Luna but I have no idea how I accomplished it.”

Twilight sat there for a few seconds before answering, “Ok I guess I could try and teach you some spells.” She seemed a bit nervous at the thought.

“Okay where do I begin Twilight?” I asked

“How about you try to lift these two bowls, to do so you have to focus on the object and find in the core of your being where your magic resides and try to feel the power move through you, and into your horn, and then into the bowls.”

I do as she instructed and searched myself for the power and once I located it, focused the power to my horn, than finally in the bowls in front of me, they lifted up, shaking for a minute and finally steadying, I saw that they were encased in a black glow like the color of my fur, Wow that will take some time to fully get use to I thought. I then willed the bowls to my side and to my surprise they moved. I set them down and released the spell feeling slightly more tired than I was a minute ago.

“Good job!” Twilight said smiling and I smiled as well.

“Thanks for the complement Twilight.” I said still with a slight smile

Twilight let out a small laugh and said, “Thank me later, when you can use more spells. Alright now for a two basic things to remember about magic: one, every time you use magic you will get tired, depending on the complexity of the spell so try to know your limits so you aren't so tired that you can’t stand up. Two, your magic is like a muscle the more you use it the stronger it gets, the less it tires you as well, and obviously the more complex spells you can learn and do without completely tiring out.”

For the rest of the day Twilight taught me some spells, some like using telepathy I found easy and barley drained me others like Invisibility I could not hold for more than a minute. Twilight even taught me how to use the Invisibility spell to conceal my horn or wings. Well being able to disguise as a Pegasus or unicorn will be useful so I don’t start a full blown panic when I walk in town. I thought, I quietly laughed at the thought of other ponies running around scared or bowing to me because I am an Alicorn.

“Well good night, Twilight. We better go to sleep; I’m worn-out with that magic training.” I walk towards the bed and climb onto it, lying down and Twilight does the same. If I did this on earth with a random girl that I only knew for six days this would feel a lot more awkward but for some reason when Twilight was nearby I had little to no flashbacks. Maybe that’s why, or could it be because I was beginning to like her? No, I can’t fall in love with a pony I may look like one but in essence I’m still human. And even if I did, she would eventually grow old and die, and I would be left untouched by the claws of time. No, I could not do that to her or myself. I continued to think bitterly. This immortality thing is a blessing and a curse. I don’t know how the princesses could live through this, I should ask one of them how they deal with watching friends age and die while they lived on. I thought not knowing what my future would bring. I started to grow tired, and looked to see Twilight cuddled on my chest as my spectral mane and tail covered her like a dark blanket. “Good night Twilight,” I whispered with a smile.

Twilight sparkle’s POV

I woke up to find Shadow up and making some eggs, which he probably gathered from some nearby chickens. He is an early, riser I wonder how he rises so early without seeming tired. I thought to myself I walked forward and said, “Good morning Shad...”

He then turns around and grabs my throat with magic he realizes it’s me and releases his hold on me. Then he says, “Sorry you just startled me my training took over and I grabbed you with magic since I don’t have hands, it’s just if I did not do that while on the field I would have been dead.”

“It’s okay Shadow you just reacted by instinct and you probably aren’t use to being able to get up without risk of death.” I said thinking back to what he told me about his pat life, I felt a bit sorry for him he lost everything he knew and was transported here, to a strange world he knew nothing about. I looked up and gave a shy smile and he shyly smiled back, I now noticed he still had four canine teeth like he had in his human form, I decided that it would be best to tell him so I said,
“Shadow do you know that even as a pony you retained your four canine teeth?”

“Yes I did, but I did not tell anyon…I mean anypony because I did not want to scare you or the princess.” He replied.
I silently giggled to myself on his mistake, he did not make it often anymore but he still made it, and to be honest it’s kind of cute when he does that, wait am I developing feelings for the human or former human… whatever I can’t get romantically involved with anypony I just met a matter of days ago.

I shook off the thoughts and said, “I understand but if we go to Ponyville you will have to cast a spell to hide them, we will also have to talk to the princesses about the matter as well, and it does not bother me much, it is a bit startling but I’ll get us to it eventually.”

He seemed like he remembered something and said, “Oh ya when will I get to see Ponyville it seems interesting.”

“How about after breakfast, then we can clean up and take off.” I replied

“Sounds like a plan.” He replied with one of his rare smiles.

He grabbed two plates and silverware, if you could call wooden forks that, I thought, laughing to myself. He put the eggs on the plates and put one in front of me, and another in front of himself. When he sat down we immediately began to eat. The eggs were excellent! I broke the silence, “Wow you’re a good cook! How did you learn?”

He thought for a moment and replied, “My mother taught me, I am not as good as she was but I can cook pretty well.”

I felt a bit of pity for him but I was sure that my pity wouldn’t help so I pushed it aside. Shadow finished his egg and put the plate down and got ready for the trip gathering some supplies and putting them in a bag. When all his supplies were packed, he tried to put the bag on but it did not fit.

“Damn,” he exclaimed. “Should have known that a human bag would not fit my pony form.”

I flinched slightly at his cursing surprised that he used it so freely, I figured it was a cultural thing, So I decided to correct his error before it gave away the fact he was not from here, “Shadow, can you refrain from cursing a lot, it will make you stick out due to the fact ponies don’t cuss as much as Humans might, Don’t get me wrong ponies do cuss but not very often.”

“I’ll keep that in mind.” Shadow replied “By the way do you have a way to make my bag fit me Twilight?”

“Yes I do know a way to modify an objects shape and size; it’s a spell that Rarity taught me.” I responded.
For the next half hour I reshaped the bag until it was big enough for it to fit him and hold his things.

“Thanks Twilight. Now I can continue to use the bag to carry some things that may help us if we get stuck in the woods for more time than we expect.” Shadow said with a smile.
We then put out the fire and began our journey to Ponyville.

Shadow Dancers POV

Twilight helped a lot when she reshaped my bag, without it I would have had to leave a lot of things behind that could be potentially useful. As we ventured through what Twilight told me was the Everfree Forest she told me about the multiple creatures that lurked in it, I did not believe Twilight at first but as we ventured we snuck past some of the creatures. I should not be so surprised, there are Unicorns, Pegasi, and Earth ponies that were very strong, and not to mention that I am an Alicorn for god’s sake that is a combination of the three. I laughed silently to myself.

We eventually made it to Ponyville, it was around 1130 hundred hours, and I then cloaked my horn and cast another spell that hid the spectral effect of my mane, making it a solid black just before we went into town, and finally made my four canine teeth look like normal molars. I personally really wanted to know Twilights friends better. About five minutes from the time we entered I saw the pink pony with a balloon cutie mark and I realized her name was Pinkie Pie

Just then is when the pink mare came with a big grin on her face and said quickly blurring the words, “WhoareyouIknoweveryponyintownbutyouarenewsowhatisyourname?”

The question came so fast that I couldn’t understand her, but Twilight apparently did so she went and translated what Pinkie Pie was saying and said, “Pinkie just said, Who are you I know every pony in town but you are new so what is your name?”

I thanked her and then whispered, “How did you understand that, I only heard bits and pieces.”

Twilight smiled and said, “You will understand what she says eventually, unless she is very, and I mean very excited.”

I turned to Pinkie Pie and said, “My name is Shadow Dancer, and please just call me Shadow.”

“Okay Shadow, I’ll see you around, the cakes want me to get some ingredients.” Pinkie said smiling

“Okay then I’ll see you later as well.” I replied with a smile. Dang it is hard to not smile around that mare. I thought.

Then next we went to Fluttershy’s cottage so Twilight could introduce me to her, when we arrived Twilight knocked on the door “Coming” Fluttershy said when she comes to the door she looks at Twilight and says, “Hello Twilight…” she then saw me and let out a little *eep*

Twilight was quick to react and said, “This is a pony I meet and talked to, his name is Shadow Dancer.”

“Hello Fluttershy, you can call me shadow if you want.” I said.

Fluttershy regained her composter and said, “Hello Shadow.” in a very soft voice. Fluttershy is a bit cute when she is nervous, I thought

I went up to shake her hoof and she accepted, but quickly dropped it. “See you later Fluttershy,” I said in a friendly voice. As we left, I looked at Twilight and I asked, “Is Fluttershy always this way around others.

“Yes” Twilight said, “Wait until she gets to know you better, she will become more accustomed to you.”

With that we decided to make our way to the pony named Applejack at an apple orchard called Sweet Apple Acers. When we arrived I seen miles and miles of apple trees, as I looked around Twilight pointed at a pony with an orange coat and a blond mane and said, “That is Applejack over there." I looked and she was kicking or more appropriately bucking an apple tree and with a basket collecting the apples.

Twilight and I walked over towards Applejack and said, “Applejack I have a new friend of mine that I meet on the road a while back and he was heading towards Ponyville and we bumped in to each other again, his name is Shadow Dancer, he goes by Shadow.”

Applejack walked turned around and started to trot towards us saying, “Howdy Twilight, I guess this is Shadow.” Applejack said pointing a hoof towards me.

I responded, “Yes I’m Shadow Dancer it’s nice to meet you, Twilight wanted me to meet all her friends and I happily obliged. I now will need to meet a pony named Rainbow dash and another named Rarity. Anyway if you want to ask any thing I’ll be at Twilight’s place later today.” I said noticing it is now 1430 hundred hours.

Twilight and I then made our way towards a place called the Carousel Boutique. Which is as Twilight told me is Rarity’s home and business. As I was walking several ponies took a glance at me and probably were wondering who I was and where I was from. If only they knew I thought laughing to myself.

We then arrived at Carousel Boutique; Twilight knocked on the door and said, “Rarity, it is me Twilight, can I come in?”

“Yes you can come in Twilight” Rarity yelled over her sewing machine.

Twilight opened the door and we walked in as we did I looked around seeing what must have been Rarity sewing what seemed like a white wedding dress with a matching lace train. “Your dresses are very well done” I said completely surprising Rarity with my presence.

“Thank you, I worked hard on all of these. By the way who are you and why are you here?” Rarity said with a bit puzzled and confused at my presence.

“If you want to know my name is Shadow Dancer please call me Shadow, and I am here because I ran into Twilight on the road for the second time in about two weeks the first week I was traveling from Los Pegasus to look at the ruins, the first time now I decided to move into Ponyville because Los Pegasus is way too crowded and because of what Twilight here told me about this place as well as it’s inhabitance and her friends. For now until I can get a job and a home I will be staying at Twilight’s place.”

“Wow that’s a lot more than I expected, but anyway welcome Ponyville.” Rarity said trying to digest the information I gave her.

“Well it is getting late I better go.” I said looking at the sun and seeing it was about 1600 hundred hours.

“Bye Shadow I guess I’ll see you tomorrow” Rarity said waving

“Bye Rarity I’ll try to visit tomorrow” I replied

With that I exited with Twilight saying something to Rarity and closing the door behind her.

“Twilight,” I said.

“What is it Shadow?” Twilight responded

“Where dose Rainbow Dash live?” I asked

“She lives in a cloud house about a quarter of a mile west of Ponyville. The only way to get up there is flying, not to mention I won’t be there because I am not a Pegasus or in your case an Alicorn.” Twilight responded

“Great this will be a long evening.” I said letting out a sigh

Twilight laughed, “A long night indeed.”

“Well what do you know of flight? All I know is it seems similar to when I was skydiving in the military” I said

“What is skydiving?”

“That is a story for another time; now back to my question Twilight.” I said

“Oh ya, sorry but all I know is try to feel for your flight muscles in your back and push them up and down. Other than that I don’t know anything about the subject.” Twilight replied

I then felt for the muscles that were connected to my wings and when I felt them I tried to move them it did not work after the first time but after a few tries I was able to move them. I moved them in a rapid up and down motion than after a while I was in the air hovering about one foot off the ground. I flapped harder letting me gain altitude and I continued to try to manipulate the wing to move me forward, eventually it worked and I was able to move freely in the air, I could not do air acrobatics but I could fly around. I went to land by making a shallow dive towards Twilight’s Library and corrected myself to make for a smooth landing.

Wow the military skydiving helped but I learned surprisingly quickly. I thought

Twilight was looking at me with interest before she said with a smile, “Good job for your first time you learned quicker than most.”

“I did do decent but it took a lot out of me so I’m tired. You have a spare bed at your place.” I said breathing a bit heavily

“Yes there is a bed in the basement that you can use.” Twilight replied

“Thanks,” I said with gratitude.

“You’re welcome.” Twilight said

I entered the library and found stairs to the basement and then went down and almost hoped onto the bed.

I slept having a flashback of a mission me and my squad had about a year back…

I was in a truck with my squad our objective was to eliminate a high profile terrorist named Al-Sal mod.

“Get ready you know the drill, we will be dropped off half a klick from the complex, Intel shows Al- Sal mod Is on the third floor in a office of some sort. We must kill him, and try to gather whatever plans they have. Once we are in there watch out for any explosives I’ll take lead, any questions?” I said raising my voice over the truck’s engine

“What do we know about the inside of the building?” Mark asked

“All we know is Al-Sal mod’s location, besides that not a damn thing.” I replied

“Anymore questions?” I asked, there was a few seconds of silence “Okay then get your weapons ready, thirty seconds till we get out.”

Mark pulled out his M16A4 and clicked off the safety the others and I did the same with our weapons. The truck came to a stop and I gave the order to dismount. Once we got out I could see the building, it was tan and marked with graffiti nothing special. We got down almost immediately as I ordered Sam to scope the place out with his rifle.

It was a minute till Sam got done with the quick recon and said, “No windows on the building and no I can’t see any patrols.”

“Move up” I said quietly to avoid any unwanted attention

We all advanced quickly and as quietly as we could, we did not alert anyone so we advanced to the door Mark and I took the two sides with Sam and Luke behind us. I gave the order to breach the door with a directional charge. Once the charge blew there were two terrorists getting up from the blast, they raised there rifles but it was too late Mark put a burst through the one on the left, the bullets hitting his chest creating a hole about a inch in diameter at the same time I shot at the one on the right and the bullets hit his head the only thing that remained was a outline.

“Move up” I said as we went through the rooms finding the stairs eliminating four others. I went up first on the right side Mark on the left. We continued creating a trail of blood in our wake when we got to the third floor a terrorist got a lucky shot hitting Luke’s side Sam stayed back with Luke to help patch him up. Mark and I reached the room that had Al-Sal mod, he seen us as we opened fire hot lead filling his body when we emptied our magazines into him we looked at the body if you could say there was one. We turned around and started to head out the door as we heard a faint *beep* *beep*

“Bomb, get to cover!!!” I yelled as I ran and the others followed as it went off with a flash than a deafening *BOOOM* we all were propelled forward chunks of concrete flying in all directions.
I later woke up dazed hearing a helicopter and people yelling orders a man grabbed my arm helping me up I looked around I seen Luke he had only a broken leg…

That’s when the flashback was suddenly interrupted, and I seen another Alicorn with a midnight blue coat and a spectral mane and tail that looked like the night sky.

I asked, “Who are you?”

The Alicorn replied, “I am Princess Luna, and you must be Shadow Dancer the human turned Alicorn.”

As soon as she began to speak I know who she was with the first word, she was Princess Luna the one who responded when I complemented her for last night’s beautiful sky.

“Hello Princess, how are you here in my dreams anyway?” I said confused

She responded, “I have the ability to enter somepony’s dreams or to an extent mind while they are asleep.”

I was astonished, she must have seen my flashback I wonder how that will affect her mind, I don’t know if she has seen any battles like that.

“All you alright after seeing my flashback,” I asked with concern.

“Your flashback will take time for me to get over but I am fine I have seen a few bloody battles when this world was far younger.” Luna said a bit nervously

I responded by saying, “That is good, I really do not wish for anyone to see what I have, the lives I have taken for my country.”

“Thanks for your concern, my reason for invading your flashback was to visit you. My older sister has told me about you, but I wanted to speak to you myself. Well you should get ready to wake up, morning is in two hours.” She explained

“It was nice seeing you princess. We should visit in person some time.” I said

“You as well,” Luna responded.

I then went to my previous state of sleep after the talk with Luna.