• Published 20th Jan 2013
  • 2,025 Views, 78 Comments

Life,Death,and Rebirth - Shadow-Dancer



A mans journey to recovery, self discovery, and of things long hidden

  • ...
26
 78
 2,025

Chapter 5: Meeting Rainbow Dash

Meeting Rainbow Dash


Shadow Dancers POV

I woke up feeing rather refreshed, I stretched my legs and wings, getting the sleep out of my eyes. I looked around the basement seeing many experiments and other items with purposes that I can’t think of. I went upstairs to see a small creature that had purple scales and a green spikes going from his head to his tail getting smaller as it went, probably a dragon from the look of it, why did Twilight forget to introduce it to me? The dragon looked like it was cooking; it looked friendly enough so I decided to try to talk to it to see if it could speak.

“Hello,” I said nervously

It looked back towards were the sound came from and upon seeing me jumped back in surprise. “Who are you,” the small dragon asks.

“Shadow Dancer but everypony calls me Shadow, what is yours,” I reply in a light conversational tone.

“My name is Spike, nice to meet you Shadow,” Spike said “Also why are you here?”

I thought back to the cover story that Twilight and I came up with and said, “Twilight and I ran into each other on the road for a second time as I was coming from Los Pegasus to move in to Ponyville because it is less crowded here and Twilight told me a lot of great things about this place.”

Spike moved back towards the stove and continued cooking, before I could continue.

“Anyway, what are you making? It smells good,” I finally continued.

“I am cooking eggs at the moment, you want some?” the young dragon replied.

I smiled at his thoughtfulness and answered, “Yes that would be appreciated, thank you.”

Spike then went back to cooking and just as the first two eggs were done twilight woke up and walked (trotted?) down the stairs, from her room.

“Good morning Twilight,” I greeted

“Good morning Shadow, Good morning Spike,” Twilight said yawning. “I take it Shadow that you have met Spike.”

“That we have,” I responded with a smile.
“That’s good,” Twilight responded retuning a smile.

When Twilight smiled I felt truly happy for the first time since the day that my family and friends back on earth were killed, I silently thanked God for sending me to Equestria. I laughed in my head and thought, People back on earth think that God dose not exist, now not only do I believe God exists but I know it, because I am here on a world with talking ponies and possibly other “Mythical” creatures, take them apples Atheists.

Twilight then brought me out of my thoughts by saying, “are you alright?”

“Yes I’m alright, just thinking about some things,” I replied and she seemed to relax a little.

“The eggs are finished,” spike said putting the eggs on plates and putting them on the table.

Twilight and I walked up to the table and sat down, looking at the eggs and the fork, how the fuck do I pick up the fork I think to myself pondering the question for a second before trying something, I put my hoof near the fork hoping that something would happen, and to my surprise the fork some how attached it self to my hoof as if I were grabbing it with hands. Wow this is nice I can grab things like I use to but still this feels kind of wired I think to myself

I proceeded to eating the eggs and spike was one hell of a cook, “wow these are some good eggs Spike, I haven’t had a home cooked breakfast in a while, thank you.” I complemented

“You’re welcome Shadow,” Spike replied with a smile.

When I was finished I picked the plate up and put it in the sink, soon after Twilight and Spike finished eating and did the same.

“Twilight, I think it is time for me to finally meet Rainbow Dash,” I said “Also were is Rainbow Dash’s home any way”

“Rainbow Dash lives northwest of here, but she should stop by to pick up the next Daring Do book, maybe you could meet her then,” Twilight said in an informative tone.

I laughed, and said, “That is a better plan than I had,” and I pictured the awkwardness of arriving at Rainbow Dash’s home unexpected. “Well Twilight if you need me I’ll be outside flying”

“Okay Shadow I’ll let you know when Rainbow Dash comes to the library,” Twilight Sparkle said.

“Thanks,” I said then went up to Twilight Sparkle and whispered “Twilight is there a safe place for me to practice magic, without being seen?”

Twilight Sparkle ponders the question a bit than whispered back, “The best places would be the Everfree forest or if you want my basement.”

I thought about the two choices and then whispered, “How about your basement, you would be able to help me, and possibly contain any big errors.”
Twilight then asks, “When do you want to meet?”

I thought about it for a minute and decided, “How about Saturday mornings at six AM. Before I forget to ask what day is it?”

“It is Sunday” Twilight responded.

“Thanks Twilight I better go out for a practice flight and get used to the concept of flight with my own wings.” I said as a let out a chuckle

“Okay Shadow don’t get hurt” Twilight said

“No promises, but I will try not to crash.” I responded

At that I walked out the door and after walking a few feet from the House/Library and then took off. The wind flowing through my mane as I flew, I flew a bit less awkward than my first attempts. I looked down a Ponyville admiring the view of the houses spotting Carousel Boutique, the Library, Sweet Apple Acers and then the Town Hall. I decided to do another lap around Ponyville also thinking about all the Pony puns that Equestria has ‘At least Terin the planets name is not a horse pun of some sort, I hope.’ I also thought about how much I missed my friends and fellow Marines back on Earth, I even thought about my old Drill Instructor, ‘I wonder how that old bastard is doing right now’ I laughed silently ‘He is probably yelling and cursing at the new trainees every chance he gets’ my drill sergeant was a tough one but he did a hell of a job, thinking back on how many times his lessons saved my ass even here in Equestria. I just then noticed that the thinking on my past killed my focus on the illusion spell, and showed my four canine teeth, I immediately recast the spell to make my teeth look like normal pony molars, hoping no one saw the slight falter of my disguise. I will always wonder why I got changed into an Alicorn of all the types of ponies I could become when the elements of harmony hit me. Not to mention how Celestia knows about humans I will have to ask her about that when I see her again.

It was about noon when I decided to land at the Library to see if Rainbow Dash was there I then finished my current lap and then landed a few feet away from the library.

I opened the door and saw Rainbow Dash talking to Twilight, but I could not make out what the conversation was about so I decided to walk in.

Just as I walked in Twilight turned towards me and said, “Hello Shadow, you arrived just on time.”

I smiled and said, “I can see that I did,” I looked over at Rainbow Dash and continued, “You must be Rainbow Dash.”

It was apparent that the cyan Pegasus did not see me when she jumped back in surprise when I spoke. She then said, “Wow you just startled me there, for a moment, also who are you and how do you know my name?”


I then simply responded, “For your first question, my name is Shadow Dancer but I prefer being called Shadow, and now for your second question, your friend here Twilight Sparkle told me a bit about you.”

Rainbow Dash then said with thinly veiled enthusiasm, “Nice to meet you Shadow, as you may have been told by my friend here, Twilight Sparkle I am the fastest flyer in all of Equestria, and the first and only pony to perform the Sonic Rainboom!”

I smiled then nodded my head and said, “No Twilight did not tell me that, but congratulations on the achievement, breaking the sound barrier dose not sound easy to do.”

“Rainbow Dash, Shadow Dancer, do you two want to stay here and eat lunch with Spike and I?” Twilight said for what I presume to keep Rainbow Dash from talking about her training non-stop for an hour.

“Sounds good to me,” I answered and my stomach promptly confirmed my reply

We all laughed at my stomachs timing with my answer. When we all settled down Rainbow Dash also answered, “Yea, I believe I can stay here a bit longer to eat lunch.”

After a second of silence Twilight decided to speak, “Rainbow Dash, Shadow, what do you want?”

I paused for a second thinking, ‘I probably should stick to things that I am familiar with eating even if I know that in this body I can eat flowers.’ Before I could reply Rainbow Dash made her decision, “I’ll have a daisy and lettuce sandwich.”

I then made my request shortly after, “I will have a lettuce and tomato sandwich if you don’t mind.”

Once we made our requests Twilight raised her voice to ensure her dragon friends attention and said, “Spike can you make two daisy and lettuce sandwiches and one lettuce and tomato sandwich.”

Have been woken up from his nap Spike reluctantly replied, “Okay Twilight I’ll make the sandwiches.”

After a three or so minutes Spike finished making the sandwiches and promptly served them and just as quickly as he served the sandwiches he went back upstairs to get back to his nap.

We ate in relative silence and my mind went back to my life on Earth, the image of my family and friends corpses permanently burned into my mind, the regret that I could not protect those closest to me, I did not feel the fire of vengeance burn, I was on a whole different world why would I? What I felt was just a cold loneliness; the loneliness one should feel stranded on an island, not with two people near you and even with that and being the same species as these locals will cover the fact at heart and soul I am human and cannot nor ever will have the same level of pure innocence that these ponies have, even the princesses have seen less in the thousands of years of their lives than I have in the twelve or so years I have been serving my country, I have seen the worst and best humanity has to offer, it was then when I let myself smile, I may have not been able to protect my family but I still will remember the smiles on those children’s faces when my squad and I were doing humanitarian missions in the small Middle Eastern villages handing out food, water, or even teddy bears. ‘Maybe just maybe, humanity has a chance to redeem itself.’ I thought just now becoming aware of the two ponies trying to get my attention.

“Shadow, are you okay,” Twilight said concerned for either my health or my sanity, perhaps both.

“Oh sorry for worrying you Twilight, I just was just thinking of a few things,” I said to calm the Unicorn and Pegasus who were a step away from a full blown panic.

The lavender unicorn became curious, and asked, “What were you thinking about?”

I looked over at Rainbow Dash and decided to keep it vague to keep my human and alicorn identity secret. Then I responded, “Just reflecting on my life.” It seemed like Twilight knew what I meant and did not inquire further, I turned around to Rainbow Dash and said, “Want to go out flying some time, I’m not the best flyer but it would let us learn a bit more about each other maybe spark a friendship between us.”

Rainbow Dash thought for a moment and said with a smirk, “are you sure you just want to do this just form a friendship and not asking me out on a date?”

For the first time in years, I actually felt embarrassed and blushed. I quickly tried to regain my posture and replied, “This is not a date I just want to try to start a possible friendship.”

Rainbow Dash was trying to stop laughing at my response, she even started rolling on the floor I let her laugh for another minute and she finally got back up and said, “sorry but how you worded that it was hard to resist doing that, but seriously yea next Wednesday I should be done with any weather patrol work and we can chat then.”

I walked, or as these ponies say I trotted to the door and opened it for her and she replied to the action with thanks and flew off. ‘I have no idea how Dash and I are going to get along, hell we might clash a few times, but the ponies on this world seem like even if any did clash with me it would be nothing to them but a friendly competition, or a serious competition for someone like Dash. Also I need to find a place where I can learn how to properly use a sword, I may not even need it but I want to be able to defend myself and others with more than magic and hooves, I will not fail at protecting the inhabitance of this place like I did my family. The picture of ponies lying dead in the streets appeared in my mind, and just as quickly faded. No I cannot let that happen even, if must die to protect this world. With my now hardened resolve I looked at the sun and saw it nearing the horizon and estimated the time to be around seven PM I closed the door, and made my way to Twilight, and asked, “Do you have any novice or low level magic books I can read an use to practice spells out of?”

Twilight went to a section of her library and almost immediately found the book turning to me and saying, “Here is a book with some of the simplest spells.”

I dispelled the illusion on my horn and took the book in my own magical grip and headed into the basement, and then into my room. I looked around noticing for the first time the scattered scientific gear that looked like scientific gear on Earth. I looked around some more and saw a book that looked like some sort of journal, I walked up to it and noticed a ring nearby, well to say it was a ring would be an understatement, it was mor like a band or human bracelet, I walked over and opened the journal and read its contents, it was apparently written by Twilight.

Experiment one “enchanting”

It seems theoretically possible for cloth, gems or rings to be imbued with magic and bound to a spell, giving any user of the ring the ability to use the spell in it like a unicorn. If this dose works it would be a breakthrough and make lives for Pegasi and Earth ponies easier.

‘Interesting idea, hell the military and everyday uses are endless, but also this could be a potential disaster waiting to happen if another powerful magic user has ill intent with this type of magic use. Well I should read on.’

Experiment one Trial one

Yes!! It worked, I enchanted a ring with levitation and I actually was able to use the ring instead of my own reserves. But the downside is once the magic in the ring is depleted a unicorn must recharge the object again.


Experiment one Trial two

This time I tried a hardening spell on a piece of gold which is usually easy to dent, after enchanting it I tried to dent the gold, then I dented steel soon after and the gold was just as strong as the steel. Also I never had to put more magic in the gold after the enchantment. It seems that there are enchantments that require a recharge like levitation and those that don’t need a magic recharge like hardening enchantments

I decided to stop there due to the fact it was getting even later. I went to my bed and laid down on it and soon after, sleep enveloped me.

Author's Note:

Well sorry for taking many months but life and did not let me continue for a while but now chapter 5 is finally here and I hope it is to your liking and enjoy.

Now for chapter 6 do you guys like the Dream/Memory sequence that i put in or not post your answer in the comments section

Thanks for your patience

Also pm me any antagonist OC's you have im in need of some i don't want to have to use the existing show antagonist

have a detailed profile so i can portray them correctly thank you