• Published 19th Jan 2013
  • 16,850 Views, 594 Comments

Discord's Parting Gift to the CMC - silvadel



"Cutie Mark Crusaders Alicorns, Yay!" Follow the CMC as they adjust to new expectations and find new crusading opportunities. Is there enough aspirin in Equestria for the denizens of Ponyville to deal with 3 ever-helpful alicorn fillies?

  • ...
40
 594
 16,850

The Manehattan Distraction

Applejack calmly bucked another apple tree, its fruit falling neatly into the buckets surrounding it. For the fifth time that day, she gazed up at the sky to work out the time from the sun's position.

"What was so gol-durn important to the princess that the crusaders not be present for her trip to Ponyville tomorrow?" pondered Applejack as she trotted toward her farmhouse.

She pushed open the door and walked into the kitchen. She splashed some water over herself, and downed a bottle of apple cider before reseating her stetson as she headed back toward the door.

Big Mac fell into step behind her.

"Going to see Apple Bloom off?" asked Applejack.

"Eeyup," replied Big Mac.

They trotted out of Sweet Apple Acres, along the outskirts of Ponyville to the train station, then made themselves comfortable on one of their benches. They watched the skies in the direction of the schoolhouse and waited.

The crusaders became visible in the distance just as the blast of its whistle heralded the arrival of The Limited. It was one of only three trains per day that made the full journey from Las Pegasus to Manehattan, Ponyville being only a minor stop on its route.

The crusaders came in for a landing, then Applejack rapidly shuffled them toward the last car on the train.

"You mean there's a car just for us?" asked Scootaloo.

"Eeyup," answered Big Mac.

While Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle boarded, Applejack edged in and hugged her sister. "Now remember to be careful in Manehattan, and mind everything that your Aunt Orange tells you."

The train whistle gave a final blow, and Apple Bloom broke the embrace to hurry onto the train.

Just as her hooves touched the plush carpeting of The Limited, the train lurched into motion. She fell back against the front of an overstuffed couch, then glanced at her friends who were seated opposite her.

"Rarity would just love this car," said Sweetie Belle.

Scootaloo ran a hoof over the soft cushions. "It just makes me feel uncomfortable is all. I'd have been happy enough flying there."

"And what of all your stuff?" asked Sweetie Belle.

"I'd pack light," replied Scootaloo. "It's not as if our things couldn't be sent on ahead of us if needed."

Sweetie Belle gave Scootaloo an exasperated look, then in a good imitation of Rarity's voice said, "Getting there in style is one of the most important parts of any trip. What kind of image would you present if you just flapped your way into Manehattan?"

"You asked her that didn't you?" replied Scootaloo.

Sweetie Belle blushed. "Yeah, I figured we could have made it there in half the time flying, but she would have no part of it."

"It doesn't leave us all that much time to see Babs or really do much of anything," said Apple Bloom as she leaned back into her couch. She sighed and watched the countryside pass by while her friends continued talking.

The train slowed down and came to a stop at Canterlot Station. Sweetie Belle made a comment about the red carpet that was on the platform, and they watched as several unicorns boarded the train.

Soon after the train started back up, Scootaloo stepped off the couch and stretched her wings. "I am sooooo bored. Any pony up for a trek to the engine?"

Sweetie Belle set her book aside. "Sure, maybe we have a talent for running trains."

They went up for a Cutie Mark Crusader engineer cheer, but stopped shy of it when they realized they were one member short.

"Something wrong Bloom?" asked Scootaloo.

Apple Bloom stepped off the couch and walked over to the pair. "No, nothing's wrong. Sure, I'd enjoy seeing how the train works."

Scootaloo walked up to the doors of the car and opened them with her telekinesis revealing a stallion dressed in a tuxedo on the other side.

"Is there anything I can do for you?" asked the stallion.

"Yes, I would like to see the rest of the train," replied Scootaloo.

"Sorry, but I am under strict orders," replied the stallion. "The alicorns are to remain in their car until Manehattan."

"And why would that be?" asked Scootaloo.

The stallion thought for a couple of seconds too long to be convincing. "You wouldn't want to cause a scene, would you?"

Sweetie Belle formed a mental picture of the train car behind the stallion then asked, "How would walking to the engine cause a scene?"

The stallion sighed. "Just think for a moment. You casually walk through a dozen cars, past all sorts of ponies, some of whom might be with the press. Others might just want to meet with you. Some might be a little too interested. It is a closed environment with nowhere to go in the case of mishap."

"Then we could just teleport back here," replied Sweetie Belle.

"Not buying it," added Scootaloo.

The stallion reached under his shirt and pulled out a royal guard badge. "This was supposed to be an easy assignment. Just make sure the VIPs make it safely to Manehattan. Is it too much to ask that I don't screw this up?"

The alicorns looked at each other then let the door close. They walked out of earshot of the door.

"I could teleport past him if I wanted, but that would still leave the door on the other side," said Sweetie Belle.

"It isn't worth it anyway," said Scootaloo. "We'd be noticed."

"Well...maybe not," replied Sweetie Belle.

Her horn glowed a soft blue and her folded wings blended in with the rest of her coat. Then her face scrunched up a bit as she concentrated, and her coat darkened to grey.

"I've been working with that illusion book," said Sweetie Belle. "My biggest problem is the glow off my horn is too visible while trying to keep it up. To be convincing I'd have to be carrying something at the same time with my magic."

"Cool," replied Scootaloo, "but that wouldn't help the three of us. It could be useful though if you needed to scout the train or...you are gonna have to teach me that."

Sweetie Belle looked pained and she let her illusion drop. "Sure um, right. I brought the book with me actually if you want to borrow it."

"Maybe later," replied Scootaloo. "I think I have another idea on how we can pass some of the time."

Scootaloo walked over to the door and opened it. Her eyes met those of the royal guard. "Is there any rule that says you can't join us?"

"Well, I really wasn't supposed to...I guess not," replied the guard.

"Good then come on back with us," replied Scootaloo.

She took a position on one of the side chairs next to the other crusaders, and looked back at the guard who slowly and almost guiltily took a position on the opposite couch. "I'm Scootaloo. You never gave us your name."

"Oh, I'm Ruffled Bearing," replied the guard.

"How do you like being a guard?" asked Sweetie Belle.

"It's a living," replied Ruffled.

"That doesn't sound like you enjoy it much," stated Apple Bloom.

"It's a means to an end is more accurate," replied Ruffled.

"Oh, what do you see yourself doing then?" asked Sweetie Belle.

"I probably shouldn't have brought this up," replied Ruffled. "You will think it is a silly dream."

"You don't know half the things we've tried to get our cutie marks," said Scootaloo. "We are experts and certainly wouldn't find you silly."

"Well my talent is to not stand out much," said Ruffled, "but it is a curse as much as a blessing. I actually want to be a spy. It's like the one way I could really use my talent to make a difference for Equestria, but I never get promoted and only officers can apply."

"I could always run your name past Twilight Sparkle," said Scootaloo.

"She's the sister of Shining Armor," added Sweetie Belle.

They spent the next couple of hours getting to know each other. Ruffled left the car momentarily to get their lunches, then taught the crusaders a few card games after they ate.

The train passed into a tunnel and the car went dark. Sweetie Belle cast some light with her horn.

"That is the Hollow Shades underpass," said Ruffled. "We will be in Manehattan in less than an hour."

They finished their current game and emerged from the tunnel.

Ruffled stood up. "I probably should resume my guard post outside now. This was...fun."

"Nice meeting you Ruffled," said Scootaloo. "We'll be sure to pass your name along. Always follow your dreams!"

Ruffled gave the alicorns a crisp salute and walked out of the car.

"He seemed nice," said Sweetie Belle.

"Kind of sad how his talent gets in the way of using his talent though," said Apple Bloom.

"I wonder how often that kind of thing happens," pondered Scootaloo as she brought forth a scroll and a pencil from her saddlebag. She wrote down the name and issue of the guard so she wouldn't forget them, then stowed her stuff back into her bag.

They looked out the window and watched as the train passed by several organized farms and clusters of small houses. The setting sun tinted the houses a subtle red color. The twilight sky darkened into night as the train traveled the long bridge across the bay into Manehattan.

They could see taller buildings ahead of them as the skyline came into view. Light blazed from the streetlamps and buildings, banishing the night in a haze of near daylight. They could see ponies and wagons busily moving on the street across from the railroad tracks. The crusaders put on their saddle bags and prepared to depart.

The train slowed as it approached the railway platform. The doors opened, revealing Babs, two other fillies, and a colt in CMC uniforms standing on a long red carpet that was draped next to the train.

Babs craned her neck to look up at Apple Bloom. "Wow cuz, I knew you got the wings and all, but I wasn't expecting you to be so big."

Apple Bloom blushed slightly as the alicorns exited the train. She turned to the other ponies, then looked back to Babs. "Do they usually go around with their mouths open like that?"

"Maybe they're trying for a fish impersonation cutie mark?" pondered Scootaloo.

Babs prodded the teal unicorn to her left who then rapidly closed her mouth. "This is Glimmer." She looked at the powder blue earth pony to her right. "And this is Icy Shoal"

Icy Shoal gave an awkward bow.

The orange pegasus colt to her far right took a step forward and announced, "pleased to meet you, I'm Autumn Blaze." He gave Scootaloo a hoof bump then played with his fiery red mane.

The procession of ponies walked down the city street. The multi-story buildings on both sides were brightly lit with lanterns and colored magical lights. Only the moon shone in the darkening sky.

"Where are all the stars?" asked Apple Bloom.

"Oh that," replied Babs. "You hardly ever see any stars here in the city."

"But that was our big surprise," pouted Apple Bloom.

"I know!" exclaimed Scootaloo. "We'll just have to go over the lights."

"That's a great idea," added Sweetie Belle. She stared at the Manehattan ponies. "Gather together near me." They complied, but gave her a questioning look when her horn glowed a bright blue.

Apple Bloom walked over to Babs and bent down. "Climb up cuz, and hold on tight."

"C-climb up?" asked Babs.

"I won't drop you," replied Apple Bloom. "Well?"

Babs cautiously climbed up onto Apple Bloom's back and strongly grasped her neck.

Scootaloo walked up to Icy Shoals, who squeaked like Fluttershy before clambering onto her back.

Glimmer stared for a moment at Sweetie Belle before climbing on.

The alicorns waited for a carriage to pass, then trotted out onto the road. They cantered for a few strides then launched into the air. Several onlookers pointed hooves at the spectacle as the group of alicorns slowly ascended.

The buildings resolved themselves into the Manehattan skyline as the alicorns gained altitude.

"I can see the statue of sovereignty," remarked Apple Bloom.

"Yeah, it's the first thing immigrants see when fleeing to the protection of the princesses," remarked Babs.

The stars came into view as the competing light from below waned. The alicorns and pegasus canted a bit to the right towards one of the few large clouds visible in the mostly clear sky and landed deftly on the soft surface.

Autumn gasped as Apple Bloom squatted down, unloading Babs onto the cloud surface. Glimmer and Icy Shoals pensively followed.

Scootaloo pointed at part of the sky. "And there is what we wanted to show you, the crusader constellation. Luna made one new star for each of us then put a nebula in the shape of our logo in the middle of it. My star is that bright red one."

"Forever into time fillies and colts will be able to look at the stars for inspiration as to their cutie marks," continued Scootaloo.

"So you are that close with Princess Luna then?" asked Icy Shoals. "Don't you ever get scared of her?"

"Of Luna?" replied Scootaloo. "Never! She is the most devoted princess you could ever hope for, always willing to use her time to sweep away the nightmares from pony dreams."

"If either of the diarchs have grown cold through the years, it is her sister Princess Celestia," added Sweetie Belle. "She seems to be all business on the inside while Luna seems to care."

"Did it hurt to become an alicorn?" asked Glimmer.

"Nope, and the freedom it gave is wonderful," replied Scootaloo. "The only problem with it is how others treat you sometimes, but that is totally worth it."

Autumn Blaze noticed the cutie mark on Apple Bloom's flank and pointed at it with a hoof. "I see the crusaders get results in Ponyville. When did you get your mark?"

"A couple of days ago," replied Apple Bloom. "I was defending my cloud house in front of a town committee, and when all seemed lost, it appeared."

"Actually it's getting kinda late," stated Babs. "We'll have plenty of time tomorrow, and I promised the Oranges the crusaders would go there directly from the station. They are probably worried."

The other ponies looked a bit disappointed, except for Apple Bloom who looked relieved.

The ponies climbed upon their respective rides, and the group glided back down to the road below. They bantered back and forth a bit as they passed by several streets worth of houses. Eventually they came to an elegant six story apartment building.

"Well, this is the place," said Babs.

"Aren't you coming with us?" asked Apple Bloom.

"Naw, I don't live here," replied Babs. "I live deeper into the city."

"But I thought we were going to spend time together," stated Apple Bloom. "Can't we go to your place?"

"You wouldn't want to do that," replied Babs. "There simply wouldn't be enough room. The Oranges have the best of everything in their penthouse. I live in a small two room flat above a storefront. We don't even have a spare sofa."

Babs pulled a sheet of paper out of her saddle bags. "Our chapter meets at the Rotary on 36th and Cherry. I live on Bowery Road off 54th. It's all on this map, but we will try to meet you here. Have a nice night."

The crusaders said their goodbyes and passed through the revolving door to enter the building.

They heard the bubbling of an ornate fountain, and the sound of casual conversations. Several ponies were milling about on cushioned benches around an oak table to their right. A pony in a flannel suit jacket stared at them from behind the counter at the far end of the lobby.

Apple Bloom hovered barely inside the entrance, as if just walking on the marble floors might somehow damage something.

Sweetie Belle whispered to Apple Bloom, "The floors won't bite."

This left Scootaloo to take point. She strode confidently toward the receptionist. "The Oranges invited us to stay for the weekend."

He pulled out a notebook and turned through the pages. "Apple Bloom plus two?"

The ponies nodded.

The receptionist pointed toward an elevator behind him. "Penthouse suite, top floor."

Scootaloo thanked the receptionist, and the crusaders walked up to the elevator. The elegant copper grating parted, and another formally dressed pony asked them which floor they wanted as they entered.

"Penthouse please," said Apple Bloom.

The pony pushed one lever which closed the grating, then moved another lever to the side.

They heard the sound of a motor running, and the pulling of chains across gears as the elevator lurched into motion. Floor after floor passed by under the careful eyes of the operator. He moved the lever slowly back to the center position, expertly bringing the elevator to a gentle stop exactly on the proper floor. He then opened the grate and pointed at the exit.

The crusaders walked along the richly carpeted hallway to a gilt door. Scootaloo rapped on the door which quickly opened.

"You must be Scootaloo," said Mrs. Orange while extending a hoof. "It is a pleasure to meet you." She clapped her hooves. "Come right in, and Lily Valet will see to your...saddle bags."

They entered a large common area. Several couches were arrayed around the edges of the room, and any space that did not have a window was filled with some object of art. After their saddle bags were rapidly liberated by Lily, they carefully made their way to the least opulent of the couches, and sat down.

Mr. Orange entered from a side door, and asked the crusaders if they needed anything to eat or drink. They relayed that they hadn't eaten dinner yet, so Mr. Orange asked Lily to prepare something.

Lily came out a few moments later with glasses of juice for the crusaders, and wine for the Oranges. She laid them down and retreated from the room in deferent silence.

"Lily is a true gem," said Mrs. Orange. "When the Millers from the building across the way went on Zebrican safari, we immediately snatched her up. I don't know how I managed without her."

"But enough about the help," added Mrs. Orange. "How are you finding Manehattan?"

"It is...big," replied Scootaloo.

"And the local crusaders seemed quite nice," added Sweetie Belle.

"But it doesn't smell quite right," stated Apple Bloom.

"You know I think Applejack made that same remark when she came to visit so many years ago," said Mr. Orange. "It doesn't take long to get used to, and it goes away entirely for a while after every rain."

"It is a small price to pay for the culture," said Mrs. Orange. On seeing Apple Bloom cringe, she added, "and we have a lot of culture planned for this weekend. This is our chance to expose you to something more relevant than a country fair."

"But I want to spend time with Babs," whined Apple Bloom.

"You will have plenty of opportunities to spend time with your cousin on other trips," said Mrs. Orange. "We have just the one. Now don't sigh, I'm sure you will find the Maretroplitan Museum of Art worthy of your time."

Lily walked in with a plate full of stuffed cucumbers. She moved a small table in front of the couch with the crusaders, then placed the plate on the table without making eye contact. She then left the room.

It was Mrs. Orange's turn to cringe as she watched the crusaders devour the plate of hors d'oeuvres.

They talked cordially for about an hour before Lily showed them to their rooms. They tried to strike up a conversation with her, but the most they could get out of her was a "yes, ma'am."

-----

For the crusaders, the next morning consisted of a light breakfast of fruit, followed by a painful amount of time preparing them, preening them, and lastly perfuming them, under the ministrations of Lily, and the watchful eyes of Mrs. Orange.

When she was satisfied with the appearance of the crusaders, they boarded a carriage and were taken deeper into the city.

The Maretropolitan Museum of Art turned out to be a very large building of worked masonry. It was an odd combination of pegasus architecture and Manehattan composition, depicting the grandeur of the former with the efficiency of the latter. That is at least the rough estimation of the building that Apple Bloom related. Scootaloo's attention was more drawn to all of the snooty ponies who seemed to be acquiring an infusion of ego from just breathing the air around the place. Sweetie Belle was more concerned with the sheer amount of bits and effort that went into the building.

The Oranges patiently waited a couple of minutes while the crusaders just stood in front of the building, before commenting that while it was a landmark, the exhibits were inside. This got some color into the cheeks of the crusaders as they walked up the steps toward the front entrance.

Mrs. Orange took the lead, and started a conversation with the concierge. The tension between them slowly grew, and Scootaloo noticed a comment about how much they had donated to the museum, which resulted in the stallion rolling his eyes. He talked to one of the security ponies, who seemingly appeared from nowhere on a gesture. Mrs. Orange thanked the concierge, dropped a hoofful of bits into the admission box, and walked back to the rest of her group.

A few minutes later, a light brown mare with a greying auburn mane trotted into the lobby. She introduced herself as Deductive Factor, one of the curators of the museum. After a long speech on the history of the museum, and a strict admonition against touching anything, she led the ponies deeper into the complex.

The first room contained a gallery of pony portraits. Factor went over the history of the figures in each of the paintings, as well as the biography of the artist. The crusaders strained to stay awake.

The next room had a selection of Neighponese artwork. Factor described the tapestries, fans, dividers, statuary, and artwork of the distant nation in a way that only Twilight would appreciate. Each of the crusaders found some aspect of the display at least mildly interesting. Sweetie Belle was sure her sister could incorporate some of the patterns in her work, while Apple Bloom appreciated the techniques used in the creation of the statuary.

Then there was a display of armor throughout the ages. Scootaloo paid attention to Factor for this exhibit even though it was presented in a dry manner, while her fellow crusaders' minds drifted.

Scootaloo became even more focused during the griffon art exhibit. Her attention waned when it moved onto Minotaurs.

Sweetie Belle showed interest in the musical instruments exhibit, but was disappointed when there was no wind harp.

All three crusaders fought their boredom in the modern art wing. When Factor spent ten full minutes talking about a painting of a soup can, Scootaloo was about to interrupt, but a single glare from Mrs. Orange stopped her.

Five boring exhibits later, the tour led them into the commissary. Factor departed their company, and the group settled in for a late lunch.

The food was bland, and the portions unsatisfying. It did not seem to bother the Oranges, who chattered about the exhibits and made other light conversation.

Apple Bloom silently thanked Luna as they left the restaurant. She would finally be able to spend at least a little time with her cousin. She could see the sunlight drifting through the windows near the exit in the distance.

A small snicker was heard out of the concierge as Deductive Factor met the group near the exit. "Hello again. I just wanted to thank you for completing the entire tour. You are the first group in years that has not cut out for an early lunch."

"I can't believe any pony would bail on your excellent tour," said Mrs. Orange. She prodded Mr. Orange who promptly agreed with his wife.

"Well, if you don't mind then, I would like your opinion on a new exhibit I have been working on for the past couple of years," replied Factor.

The crusaders drooped slightly as Mrs. Orange accepted the invitation.

They went through a side door which closed behind them into a narrow walkway.

"I must repeat what I said earlier about not touching the artifacts," continued Factor. "A lot of the artwork depicting Luna was destroyed during the period when she became Nightmare Moon, and even more met their end early in the Celestial Era. It was very difficult to collect them."

"Luna?" asked Scootaloo.

"I get that reaction a lot when this comes up," remarked Factor. "Poor princess has an undeservedly bad reputation."

"You misunderstand," said Scootaloo as Factor opened the far door.

Scootaloo trailed off upon seeing the room ahead. The walls were covered in dark blue velvet. A dozen paintings depicting Luna were hung against the velvet in elegant display cases.

Factor in the meantime merely took her place in front of the first painting and started her spiel. "Long before Nightmare Moon and the appearance of Discord; back in the times of Commander Hurricane and a little after Hearth's Warming, we had the first sightings of the eventual diarchs. This is one of only three known paintings depicting Celestia or Luna with normal rather than flowing manes, and the only one depicting both. 'Celestia in Pink,' is in the princess's private collection. 'Luna in flight' is in the hands of a private collector who would not sell or loan it to this exhibit at any price. This painting is 'Alicorns at rest.' It shows the pair of diarchs sleeping together against a pile of hay in an unknown location. Whether this was the imagination of the artist, or if he snuck up on them at some time while they were traveling is unknown, but magical dating verifies the extreme age of the portrait.

"'Luna's Performance' dates to only thirty years later. Here we see her using her magic to play a lyre before a small audience of ponies. The jet black instrument has only been depicted in two other works. Before the coming of Discord she used to occasionally play it, and several other instruments in public. After Discord, her performances were mostly private.

"'Nightmare Night' depicts the holiday as it was originally. We see Luna seated before a large bonfire, a pegasus dropping a token into the flames with a small line of other ponies behind her. Originally Nightmare Night was a holiday where ponies would toss a symbol of something they had lost, or representing a habit they wanted to break into the flames of the bonfire. Doing this would end their nightmare and let them continue on with their lives.

"'Luna's Shower' is significantly later, and depicts Luna drawing down a meteor shower with her magic.

"Which leads us to the most important painting of the collection. 'Luna at Cloudsdale' shows Luna standing before Hurricane the Fourth, a proud figure herself who was looking down upon Luna from her throne in Cloudsdale. Dozens of ponies to either side including eight horn players witnessed this powerful event — the day the pegasi acknowledged Luna as a Princess and came under her and her sister's rule."

Sweetie Belle scrutinized the picture, and prodded Factor. "Over there in the background, a bit offset and behind Hurricane," she said as she pointed at the painting. "Is that a wind harp?"

"You have a sharp eye," replied Factor. "That blue pegasus is indeed playing a wind harp. Strange that you would focus on that in this painting. Not many ponies even know about them."

"Do you think that Luna might know how to play one?" asked Sweetie Belle.

"Play a wind harp?" pondered Factor. "I guess if any pony today would retain that knowledge, it would be the Princess, but despite her musical interests at the time, the playing of that instrument was done by very few pegasi. Even fewer would share that knowledge, and I do not think any wind harps even exist anymore."

"Still it is possible," replied Sweetie Belle.

"Yes, it is possible," replied Factor, as she shrunk back slightly from the intensity she saw in Sweetie Belle's eyes.

Sweetie Belle went back to staring at the painting, while Factor moved on to the next one. Scootaloo heard Sweetie Belle mutter something before rejoining the group.

Factor continued to describe painting after painting then went over several other artifacts that were displayed in cases near the center of the room.

She then turned to the tour group and asked for their opinions.

"The paintings are very impressive," said Scootaloo.

"Very impressive," said Sweetie Belle.

"And I think Luna will just love it," added Scootaloo.

"But the presentation might be a little...long winded," said Apple Bloom.

Mrs. Orange gave a short leer at Apple Bloom before turning to Factor. "It was a wonderful exhibit, masterfully described. I think it will be a major draw for the museum."

Factor turned to look at Scootaloo.

"I will tell Luna about this when we next see her," said Scootaloo. "She will want to see this personally. Your exhibit will help her immensely."

Factor looked pale, but maintained enough composure to guide the group back out into the museum, albeit in uncharacteristic silence.

All three crusaders moaned when they saw the red and purple light coming in through the windows.

Mrs. Orange turned to thank Deductive Factor, but she was already gone. In the measure of time that she looked, the crusaders took to the air as stealthily as they could, and made their way for the exit. Mrs. Orange called out to them, but they "didn't hear her" and passed through the entryway, then up into the waiting sky.

They went several blocks back toward the penthouse before coming to a stop on a drifting cloud. The crusaders then took a minute to stretch their stiff wings.

Scootaloo asked Sweetie Belle if she had a fix on their saddle bags. She raised one eyebrow as she glanced at Scootaloo with half a smile, and promptly teleported all three saddle bags right at Scootaloo's hooves.

They promptly donned their saddle bags, then Apple Bloom removed a map from hers. She studied the map for a few seconds, then placed it back in her bag, and jumped off the cloud. Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle followed as they flew over the skyline of Manehattan.

Marble yielded to brick as the buildings became progressively less opulent. The clothes worn by the ponies they passed over became less fancy as well. Countless street lamps began to glow as the evening grew darker. It was into this strange mix of residential flats and brick storefronts that the alicorns landed.

The address given by Babs for the CMC headquarters turned out to be called Gray's cameras and phonographs. A long signboard declared that they both sold and repaired such objects at reasonable prices. They walked by a happy couple who were exiting the shop, an album of photos floating with them in their magic. Along the far side they saw a plain wooden door with the crusader logo worked into the wood.

The door opened into a narrow, steeply pitched stairway. The alicorns climbed the stairs single file. Scootaloo reached the small wrought iron landing at the top of the staircase, and opened the wide, half-height door that was to her left. She crouched as she passed through the opening, followed closely by the other two crusaders.

Boxes were piled from the floor to the ceiling along the entire right side of a very long room. A shuffleboard triangle was painted on the floor near where they entered. Babs, Icy Shoals, and Autumn Blaze were near the far side of the room, a podium and some bean bags sitting on the floor behind them.

Babs dropped a shuffleboard stick, and cantered towards the alicorns. "You made it!" she exclaimed. "I thought I wasn't gonna see you again on this trip."

"If Mrs. Orange had her way, we wouldn't have," said Scootaloo, "but it takes more than that to keep the crusaders from crusading."

Sweetie Belle looked at the boxes and back to the ponies. "Interesting choice of location," she said.

"Mr. Gray lets us use this space for our meetings so long as we help him out when he needs something from storage," replied Autumn Blaze.

"It's a little tight for a full sized pony, but we move around it fine," said Icy Shoals. "Present company excepted," she weakly amended.

"Space is hard to secure in the city," said Babs. "It took us weeks of searching to find this."

"And a nice meeting hall it is," said Scootaloo. "Actually, I have something important to share. Can I use the podium?"

"Um, sure," said Icy Shoals.

Scootaloo strode to the podium. Babs and Apple Bloom shared one bean bag, while the other ponies took the rest individually.

"For the longest time, we were doing just random things to find our cutie marks," said Scootaloo. "We had no idea there was a better way."

Scootaloo removed a book from her saddlebags and reverently placed it upon the podium. "This book is titled Stubborn Cutie Marks. I obtained the original from Aqua Echo at the Cloudsdale Public Library, and Twilight was kind enough to make a copy, which I am presenting to you. It is the only book I've ever seen that actually tries to answer the question we all have, and it should be our primary guidebook at all crusader branches."

She started reading. "There are two primary reasons why a pony does not acquire their cutie mark in the normal time frame. The first is that while the pony knows what their talent is on some level, they refuse to acknowledge it as their talent. This can be from being embarrassed about their talent, awkwardness in performing said talent, or having a talent that conflicts with what is expected of the pony in question. It can also be from having two potential talents and the pony dragging their hooves on choosing one. If this refers to you then go directly to chapter 7, Finding Commonalities—Your Choice Can Be Both."

Babs, noticing that Apple Bloom had sagged into her part of the bean bag, her eyes downcast, raised a hoof.

"The second is that the pony's talent is a complicated or broad one, and can not be expressed simply through one singular skill. This is a good thing. Some of the most useful talents almost never show up in a timely manner on ponies. The key here is to find the common thread that links the many things the pony is most adept at and why. A good process for discovering these sorts of talents is provided in chapters 8 through 11."

"Scootaloo," exclaimed Babs. "As interesting as that book is, I haven't had any time with my cousin." She motioned towards the door. "Would you mind if we..."

"Oh," replied Scootaloo. "Sure, go have some fun." Her wings lowered a few inches. "I was doing the same thing as Mrs. Orange, wasn't I? Sorry Bloom."

Apple Bloom smiled, and the pair moved to leave.

Scootaloo returned the smile, and turned to the back inside cover. She showed the small section, mouth-written by the author, to the assembled ponies. "The inscription reads, 'Thank you for reading this adaptation of my thesis on cutie marks. What follows are my opinions on the subject as opposed to the pure research. I got my cutie mark at the age of fifteen. Yes, if you are reading this as a seeker of a cutie mark, know that there have been others who got theirs even later than you did. I find the societal taboo against helping fillies and colts find their cutie marks an outdated abomination. At the very least such should be lifted at the age of eleven when statistically 90% of them have obtained their marks. I have been on a crusade to get this overturned all my life, and self-publishing this against the will of academia is my final act in defiance of tradition before retirement. Bright Light, bringing the unpopular truth to light despite all opposition. PhD, Pony Studies. December 573 CE.'"

"He was truly a kindred spirit amongst ponies," said Scootaloo.

---------

Apple Bloom followed Babs as she descended the stairs to the ground level. They walked for a while in silence before Apple Bloom said, "Thanks for the rescue there."

"No prob, cuz," replied Babs.

Apple Bloom kicked a can as they walked. Babs slowed, allowing Apple Bloom to come up side by side. She sighed, and said, "Okay cuz, you said in your letter to not make a fuss over your cutie mark. I can understand, seeing as your friends haven't found theirs yet, but something is really bothering you, and I'd like you to spill."

Apple Bloom crushed the can and tossed it to the side. She lowered her head and shook it slowly side to side. "I just should feel happier about this, and I don't."

She took several more strides before slowly continuing. "I mean I really do enjoy working with clouds, but I can't use my talent on the farm, and cloud houses aren't even allowed in Ponyville. I could leave Ponyville to pursue my talent, but I love my sister and brother, and it just seems wrong to abandon them in that way."

She started talking a bit faster. "I can't even be sure this was supposed to be my cutie mark. It wasn't even possible for me to work with clouds before my...before I changed into an alicorn. What if my mark was supposed to be in potion making or something?"

She walked faster, Babs having to trot to keep up with Apple Bloom's rapid pace. "Everything is just going so fast. A few weeks ago, the only things I had to worry about were homework and chores, and now the last moments of my childhood are just rushing by. I was crusading with my friends, and now...I don't mind helping them with their marks. I really don't, but I just can't be as enthusiastic about it as they are all the time."

She slowed her pace back to a normal walk. "I am soooooo confused. I'm so tired. I don't know where I fit in anymore, and when I think about it, it scares me."

"Or maybe it's exactly what it's supposed to be," replied Babs. "Maybe you didn't find your talent because you couldn't do what your talent needed yet?"

"What of the pony who had the cloud house outside of Ponyville that you wrote me about?" asked Babs.

"Rainbow Dash?" replied Apple Bloom. "She built her house there because Ponyville wouldn't let her build one inside town limits."

"What would she think about having a few neighbors?" asked Babs. "You could found your own town. I figure other pegasi might not like being forced to live on the ground."

"I am far too young to run a town," replied Apple Bloom, "and I'm looking for less responsibility, not more."

"No, no, what I mean is, would she be willing to be mayor?" asked Babs.

"Rainbow Dash, as mayor?" Apple Bloom let forth a light chuckle just trying to visualize the pegasus running a town. "Then again, she does run the weather team," she finally said, "and she does have some deep dislike for Mayor Mare."

" Ask her," said Babs. "How many ponies have created an entire town? You could be another Granny Smith."

"Yeah, another Granny Smith," replied Apple Bloom. "I like that."

The road abruptly bore right, turning into a long metal bridge.

"But then again sometimes you just need some time away from your problems," said Babs. "Welcome to Pony Island."

Apple Bloom gazed across the bridge and saw bright lights of all colors in the distance. As they crossed it, they saw many ponies swimming in the shallow water. On the other side was a boardwalk with many vendors hawking various games and foodstuffs.

Apple Bloom followed Babs to one of the many stalls. She ordered a couple of sticks of cotton candy, and tossed three bits on the table. The unicorn behind the stall twisted the candy onto sticks and passed them over with his magic.

After the candy had been devoured, Babs continued deeper into the complex. Many ponies were visible, raucously enjoying themselves. Babs stopped at the gate to an arcade amusingly called Luna Park. They passed through a brightly lit arch that had twin pillars gleaming with light above it.

They rode the cyclone roller coaster, a large wooden affair with many sharp turns that rivaled flying for its effects on a pony. They rode the Witching Waves, the cart moving inexplicably in a wave-like motion as they steered it around the track. They entered the caterpillar train ride. A canopy closed in over them, leaving them in complete darkness as it snaked around its tracks and puffed bursts of air in their faces.

They ate some caramel apples, then played some of the games on the arcade. Apple Bloom noticed a pony who looked quite similar to Flim of the Flim Flam brothers running a ring toss game. She took great satisfaction winning the huge teddy bear that no pony was ever supposed to win, much to the chagrin of the owner.

It was only a couple of hours before dawn when Babs and Apple Bloom emerged from the park, the latter levitating her teddy bear proudly above her head.

"So, feeling any better?" Babs asked Apple Bloom.

"Yes, it was sooo nice to spend some time as a kid again," replied Apple Bloom.

"No more moping?" asked Babs.

"Nope, just visions of Rainbow Dash trying to run a town like an amusement park," said Apple Bloom. "I actually got some ideas in there."

"Then this is where we part ways," said Babs. "I'm way past when I was supposed to get home, but it was worth it."

They hugged, then each took off in different directions, Babs at a gallop, and Apple Bloom into the air.

Apple Bloom landed smoothly right in front of the Orange's apartment building. Her hooves clopped ominously on the floor, breaking the silence of the lobby. She slipped by the sleeping pony at the desk, and worked her way toward the elevator. It was empty so she resorted to the stairs.

Seven flights later she emerged into the hallway. She stared at the closed door for a while before quietly opening it with her magic. She entered the dimly lit room, closing the door behind her, and slowly flew toward her room. Over the light swishing sound of her wings, she heard Mr. Orange say, "You know you scared Mrs. Orange no end today."

She came to a landing and squeezed her teddy bear before looking sheepishly at the stallion. "Sorry?"

He looked straight into Apple Bloom. "She was cross with your friends for spoiling her reservations at a really exclusive restaurant earlier tonight. It was going to be quite the feather in her cap showing you off to all her society friends, but at least they had the respect to show up at a decent hour."

He sighed. "You on the other hoof decided to go off on your own into the city for the whole of Luna's night. This isn't Ponyville. It isn't safe out there at this hour."

"I was with Babs," Apple Bloom uncomfortably retorted.

"Did she walk you all the way here, and then have to go alone all the way back to her home?" asked Mr. Orange.

"No, we parted ways at Pony Island," said Apple Bloom. "I guess I was alone here at night, and so was she."

"It was plain irresponsible," said Mr. Orange. He pointed to her room, "Well there it is, have a good night's sleep, what is left of it. I am going to wake Mrs. Orange and let her know you got in okay."

Apple Bloom slunk into her room and went to sleep.

--------

The next morning was very quiet. All of the crusaders woke up late, and they were mostly ignored by the Oranges. A small continental breakfast was served by Lily Valet, who also gathered their things together for their return trip.

Glimmer and Autumn Blaze met the crusaders at the door to the apartments. Autumn Blaze apologized for Babs not being there. She was grounded.

Apple Bloom watched from the rear of the group, as Scootaloo and Autumn Blaze discussed cutie marks, and Sweetie Belle talked magic with Glimmer.

The train was already there when the group approached the station. The crusaders said their goodbyes, then walked across the red carpet and into their waiting private car. They slouched into their seats and sighed, not looking forward to a long, boring trip home.

Scootaloo waved at the Manehattan crusaders as the train pulled away from the station.

"Now what do we do?" asked Sweetie Belle.

"I guess we could fetch out whatever guard they have this time," replied Scootaloo.

"Well I have a few ideas," said Discord.

The crusaders fell into the back cushions of their couches in surprise.

"I thought you were—" started Sweetie Belle.

"Oh, Tia saw fit to give me parole," interrupted Discord, "in no small part due to your actions as alicorns, and I just had to see for myself the ponies who have put me in the odd position of having to thank them twice."

Discord squinted at Scootaloo, then produced an oversized magnifying glass and gave a closer look. "No artistry; cast precisely as it would be out of a textbook," said Discord. "It is definitely the work of Twilight Sparkle. She has you on a leash, you know."

Discord snapped the fingers on his paw, and gave Scootaloo another look. "Twilight's spell was set up such that "responsible adults" defined as the alicorns, the element bearers, Cheerilee, and Big Macintosh, would prevent her little spell from going off. I decided to add myself to the list, and as there are no more responsible adults than me, I set my radius at oh 875 miles give or take."

He lounged into one of the couches. "Comfortable seating. You don't truly appreciate this sort of thing until you are stuck in one position for...but enough about me. How have you been enjoying the beginnings of your eternity?"

"Eternity?" asked Apple Bloom.

"Yes, I must say it was really bold of Scootaloo to use her boon to make you three alicorns," said Discord, patting Scootaloo on her head with his tail. "Totally unexpected, and from me that is a huge compliment." He turned to Apple Bloom. "Leave it to say, you have a long time ahead of you."

"Celestia already covered the outliving your friends thing when she tried to convince us to give up being alicorns," said Scootaloo.

"Mhmm, and how are you finding dear Celestia?" asked Discord.

"Cold and manipulative," replied Scootaloo. "Luna is by far the nicer princess."

Discord looked closely at Scootaloo, then gave a boisterous laugh. "Scootaloo, if more ponies were able to see things like you do...So very few ponies realize things are exactly the way you said. You know, I bet Celestia sent you out here just to keep you away from me during my release."

Scootaloo reached into her saddle bag and produced a thick tome. "She has also has me reading about almost nothing but griffon history. Like I wouldn't figure out something was up with that? I am going to have to represent Equestria at some major summit with the griffons, and she never even told me."

Discord took the book and riffled through the pages like he was shuffling a deck of cards. "You know, Celestia wasn't always like that. Well yes, she was always manipulative, but not always cold." He whispered into Scootaloo's ear, "I'll tell you a Discord secret: there are very few things more fun than taking Celestia out of her game. Her reactions when her well laid plans fall down around her hooves are priceless."

Discord did an aerial loop on the way back to his chair. "History books never do justice to the actual events," said Discord as he snapped his clawed hand.

The crusaders felt dizzy as the scenery shifted. Directly in front of them was a large stone table holding a sizable roll of parchment. Luna and Celestia were standing on one side of the table, and a middle-aged but regal looking griffon on the other side. Further in the distance was lightly wooded grassland, and a cascading waterfall which drained into a river that flowed behind the scene and off to their right.

"Now that is Celestia; not as you know her, but Celestia at her prime," said Discord. "Across the table, you are in the presence of King Swiftclaw, one of the wisest griffons of his generation."

"How are we seeing this?" asked Sweetie Belle.

Discord looked sharply at Sweetie Belle, the corners of his mouth slipping momentarily downward before catching himself. "Just because I was stone didn't mean I couldn't watch everything Celestia was doing. It wasn't like I had any better way to spend the time, but let's focus back on the replaying of my memory."

"Look at Celestia's face," remarked Discord. "She really thinks she is getting the best of old King Swiftclaw, and "little" Luna is not so little there. See the differences in mannerisms?"

Scootaloo and Apple Bloom nodded, as they watched the griffon sign the parchment.

"His nation was defeated and humbled, but he still held that inner defiance and guile that led to section four of the Treaty of Claw Falls," said Discord. "It was hubris that Celestia overlooked that clause. She truly thought that there was always going to be just two equestrian alicorns, herself and Luna, and that 'alicorn of their choice' was harmless."

Discord snapped his claw, and the crusaders found themselves back in the train. He pointed at Scootaloo, and bowed. "This brings us to your current situation, Princess Scootaloo."

"P-princess?" stammered Scootaloo.

"A horn plus wings plus responsibility equals a princess," replied Discord. "She probably didn't tell you that either, did she? Any time you act in affairs of state, you are officially a princess. It is stated thusly at least five times in the equestrian constitution."

Discord's face morphed into a smirk as he glanced out the window of the train, before turning back to the crusaders. "While I would love to continue this conversation, it looks like you have a welcoming committee, so I will bid you farewell."

The crusaders gawked at the empty space that used to house Discord.

The squealing of the train's wheels heralded their arrival in Canterlot.

Sweetie Belle looked out the window at the familiar red carpet that now sported a contingent of royal guards. "Didn't we just leave Manehattan?" she asked of the other crusaders.

Author's Note:

A lot of research went into the development of this chapter. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, Coney Island, Luna Park, and The 20th Century Limited including the red carpet, were all patterned directly off their real world New York counterparts from the 1920s.

Thanks to Hap who helped with editing.