• Published 19th Jan 2013
  • 16,850 Views, 594 Comments

Discord's Parting Gift to the CMC - silvadel



"Cutie Mark Crusaders Alicorns, Yay!" Follow the CMC as they adjust to new expectations and find new crusading opportunities. Is there enough aspirin in Equestria for the denizens of Ponyville to deal with 3 ever-helpful alicorn fillies?

  • ...
40
 594
 16,850

Interlude: Bug Hunt

A pressure plate was triggered in the merchant district sending a signal to the palace in the Crystal Empire.

Shining Armor and several of his soldiers were dispatched.

They traveled out of the castle and down a couple of busy streets to talk to the merchant who owned the stall where the signal came from.

The merchant described a blue crystal pony with a grey mane and an urn with horseshoes as the cutie mark.

It did not take them long to locate their quarry. The "pony" was buying some cloth at a vendor just across the way.

As they approached, the pony's ears perked up and it began to move cautiously but stridently in the opposite direction through the district.

Shining armor and his patrol followed.

The pony picked up his pace and went into a gallop the moment he entered the outskirts of the city.

He gained some distance as the soldiers couldn't safely keep pace with him among the ponies of the market.

He was almost to the weather shield when Shining's soldiers cleared the market.

Shining and his soldiers crossed the barrier. The arctic winter blasted in around them. Well in the distance they could barely see the earth pony trudging through the snow. They marched faster.

The snow swirled in the wind, a wind which bit deeply into every soldier on the patrol. Resolutely they marched, following the changeling ahead of them.

The patrol continued to advance on Thorax, closing the distance between them. Once they were close enough that they were sure he'd be able to hear them over the wind, one of the guards shouted, "Thorax, stay where you are."

Thorax's disguise folded around him in a green flash. He involuntarily hissed at the guard as he turned.

Shining Armor saw this action, and figuring it as a prelude to an attack, let loose his spear. The aim was true and the spear hit Thorax right between the plates of his chitin.

The guard unit slowly approached the downed changeling. One of the guards tapped it lightly with a hoof. "It appears dead," said the guard.

"Haul it back to town," said Shining Armor.

A few guards made a litter and placed the corpse upon it. Each guard carried a corner as they worked their way back to the city.

----

A scroll appeared in front of Scootaloo.


"Princess Scootaloo,

Thorax has been eliminated. Please ask Chrysalis how she wants the body disposed of.

Princess Cadance."

Scootaloo's head drooped a bit as she rolled the scroll back up with her magic. She grabbed a scroll of her own and started writing.


"Queen Chrysalis,

Thorax is dead. I didn't expect that to happen, but apparently it has. Cadance is asking what is to be done with the remains.

Princess Scootaloo."

She rolled up the scroll and sent it off in a burst of flame. Mere moments after, the return message arrived.


"We care not what is done with the remains of the renegade. Do what you will with it."

Scootaloo started another scroll.


"It seems she doesn't care, and gives you leave to do whatever you want with the remains."

As she sent it off with her magic, she pondered on how swiftly and callously the whole event was treated.