• Published 13th Jan 2013
  • 2,816 Views, 63 Comments

Doctor Whooves Episode 5: Before the Chaos - Doctor Perseus



The Doctor and Twilight, after accidentally picking up a mysterious mare named Matilda, end up 100 years prior to the birth of Princess Celestia and run into the king of chaos himself at a time when he was actually good.

  • ...
4
 63
 2,816

Within the Castle of Equestria

Chapter 2: Within the Castle of Equestria

The Alastor Bedroom, Castle of Equestria, Equestria, Gaia, Autumn, 146 P.C.E.

The Doctor stood next to the windowsill and watched as the multicolored, evening light enveloped the land surrounding the golden castle. His mind raced with thoughts pertaining to the events of that day. Why was Discord different from what Twilight described him as? Why was Twilight using an alias? Who exactly was this Matilda and how did she know him and Twilight so well? He shrugged his shoulders and sighed.

"I guess I'll find out soon enough," he said. He heard the door behind him open and turned around to see Twilight entering the room. She stared at the luxurious room with an envious stare. The bed was a red velvet king's bed with long golden curtains, the floor was covered in a mix of hoof-crafted royal carpets, and the ceiling and walls were made of gleaming, white marble.

"This room is amazing! I actually would have preferred this one to the room I got," she admitted. The Doctor smirked as he approached the awestruck unicorn.

"Are you enjoying yourself, Ms. Tara?"

"What? Oh...that."

"Would you mind telling me what that was about?"

"I can only assume that we're in the distant past and, since I remember Discord not knowing me prior to his reawakening in 1001, I figured that I better go by an alias rather than risking a paradox...dear Celestia I'm starting to sound like you now!"

"I know. It's getting kind of creepy."

Both the Doctor and Twilight laughed. Twilight walked past the Doctor and looked through the large window.

"This place is beautiful," she said. The Doctor nodded in agreement. It certainly was a sight to behold. Even in the dim light of the evening, the castle still emanated a bright, welcoming glow. The outlines of distant towns and villages could be seen off in the distance, beyond the castle walls. Twilight turned away from the window and faced the Doctor. It was obvious that something was on her mind.

"Is something troubling you?" the Doctor asked.

"Yeah. It's the whole nice Discord thing. I remember the Discord I came across fully and I remember everything the Princesses told me about him. He was a vile, cruel, sadistic dictator who stopped at nothing to rule Equestria with complete and total chaos. This Discord is basically the polar opposite of the Discord my friends and I fought."

"Maybe there's more to the whole Discord story than you know."

"What do you mean by that?"

"Tell me, have you heard anything about Equestria prior to Discord's reign?"

"Of course! I've read about lots of ancient Equestrians. Alastor the Enchanter is one of them."

"Alastor the Enchanter, huh? I think I recall Queen Lily telling me that this room is named after him."

"Interesting."

"Anyway, have you heard anything about how Discord became the King of Equestria?"

This is when Twilight fell silent. Her ears drooped and she began straining her brain in order to find an answer.

The Doctor sighed and asked, "You don't have an answer to that? Do you?"

Twilight sighed too and replied, "No. It's strange. I've read countless books about Equestrian and world history and have spoke to the Princess several times, and Discord has come up a fair amount of times, and yet I can't recall anything involving how Discord became the King of Equestria. All I know is that for a long time he ruled Equestria with absolute chaos. That's it."

"That's it, huh? I smell something fishy, and that's odd because this castle is cleaner than a bar of soap. Hmm...I could use something to eat right now. Maybe some apple grass."

"What are you going on about?"

"Sorry! Just thinking out loud again! I'm still getting used to this new pony body."

"So, since we're asking questions here, what do you think of Ms. Matilda?"

A devious smiled curved on Twilight's face as she giggled teasingly.

"What about her?" the Doctor asked as he blushed slightly.

"Oh come on! You were putty in her hooves!" Twilight laughed.

"I was not! I have never been putty in anyone's, or anypony's, hands, or hooves, before!"

"Really, Doctor?"

"No...well...once...well...twice...well...you know what? Let's just change the subject!"

"It's funny, isn't it? She seems to know us so well. It's almost as if we've had a long history together."

"We probably have. Remember, Twilight. Time is-"

"Complicated. I know."

"To be honest, I'm kind of looking forward to seeing just what type of odd adventures that we're going to have with that mysterious mare."

"Yeah. Speaking of complicated time, I was just working on my story for Sarah."

"Huh? Oh! Sarah Sparkle! Almost forgot about all of that. We should go back and visit them when we get the chance."

"I also worked on the note for Princess Luna."

"What note?"

"Oh, that's right! I never told you about it! Well, on the day you arrived in Ponyville-"

"Leaving me out of conversations again, Doctor?" asked a familiar, seductive voice. The Doctor gulped as he turned to see Matilda entering the room. "Would you two mind if I joined you?"

"Not really," the Doctor choked. "But-"

"We were just talking about you," said Twilight.

"Really?" asked Matilda as she approached them. "I hope they were positive statements."

"You could say so," said the Doctor as he awkwardly adjusted his tie.

"Good. Anyway, Doctor, I see that you have a few affections for the Queen."

"What?"

"Queen Lily. Come on. I saw you gaping at her. Well, to be honest, I was kind of doing it too."

"This is starting to get awkward," Twilight said with a nervous laugh.

"Is that because you were eying her too, dearie?"

"Huh? I was not! I'm into stallions, not mares!"

"Oh I know that. But, yet you were still eying her."

"Heh...I guess I was."

"Did either of you notice something peculiar about the Queen?" the Doctor asked.

"Aside from her beauty?" Matilda asked.

"Yes, aside from that. She seemed somewhat troubled about something. And there was a moment where she was about to describe her beauty as a curse rather than a spell. I'm sure of it."

"A curse? How can beauty be a curse?" Twilight asked.

"Oh you'd be surprised. Everything comes at a cost in one form or another. Beauty is no exception."

"And with her level of beauty, that cost must be pretty big," said Matilda.

"Exactly!"

"So, Doctor, is it time to look into this further?"

"I would say so."

Suddenly a loud chime rang out throughout the castle.

"But I think we should get something to eat first," said the Doctor as he pushed past them.

"Really, Doctor? Food?" Twilight asked.

"Of course! One shouldn't investigate on an empty stomach! Oh how I do hope that they have apple grass!"

The Doctor then disappeared through the doorway, leaving Twilight alone with Matilda.

"You seem to know him very well," said Twilight as she turned to face Matilda.

"Oh how I know that stallion. I know you just as well too," said the mysterious mare.

"We're going to go through a lot together, aren't we?"

"More than you realize."

"Will they be good or bad encounters?"

"A little of both. But I shouldn't go into too much detail. Wouldn't want to screw up the time stream too badly. Now, come on, I think I can smell a chocolate custard with my name on it."

Twilight chuckled as she followed Matilda through the doorway.

Discord and Lily's Chamber, Castle of Equestria, Equestria, Gaia, Autumn, 146 P.C.E.

Queen Lily sat in front of a large mirror examining herself. She wasn't happy. Something was bothering her. Something nasty had been eating away at her for a very long time. She looked at the reflection in the mirror and wanted to cry. She was so beautiful, so unique, so magnificent, so...everything. It disgusted her. She wished every day that she could remove the curse from her body but she knew that this was impossible. Then she thought about the visions. The horrible, icy visions of a tormented future. They had become incredibly frequent throughout the past few months. She didn't dare tell her husband about what she had seen in those visions. It was too terrible for words. Whenever she began to feel guilty or sad about her curse, she would think about Discord and how much he cared for her and vice versa. She wanted to be with him forever, ruling over Equestria in a never-ending, peaceful reign. But, alas, something was telling her that this was a mere dream and nothing more. She thought back to the visions and a tear formed in her eye. She quickly wiped it away as the dinner chime rang out throughout the castle.

"Time for supper," she said as she turned away from the mirror. "Best go and greet the guests."

She was about to head out of the room when her body stiffened up like a plank of wood. She couldn't move. She had lost control over her body. "No! Not again!"

She then lost control over her mouth. A weird smoke began emanating from her mouth. She looked in the mirror to see that her eyes were glowing bright blue. Her innards became cold and her bones felt like glass. Then she began speaking. A mysterious voice that wasn't hers began emanating from her mouth.

The voice said, "The mistress and element arrive to play; the King prepares for his final day. The icy fiends return from the grave, and the Doctor sadly will have nopony to save."

The voice then went away and Lily fell to the ground, sputtering and coughing like mad. A unicorn guard rushed into the room.

"My Queen! Are you in need of assistance?!" he asked. Lily stood up and faced the guard. She looked back in the mirror to see that her eyes had returned to normal.

"I am quite alright, thank you," she replied quickly.

"Was somepony else in here with you? I believe that I heard talking."

"Nopony else was in here. It was just me. I was...thinking aloud. I shall be heading down to supper now."

"Enjoy your supper, my Queen."

"I will. Thank you."

Lily turned away from the guard and proceeded through the door, her throat was still burning with an icy aftertaste.