• Published 13th Jan 2013
  • 2,816 Views, 63 Comments

Doctor Whooves Episode 5: Before the Chaos - Doctor Perseus



The Doctor and Twilight, after accidentally picking up a mysterious mare named Matilda, end up 100 years prior to the birth of Princess Celestia and run into the king of chaos himself at a time when he was actually good.

  • ...
4
 63
 2,816

Daughter of Magic

Chapter 6: Daughter of Magic

Battlements, Castle of Equestria, Equestria, Gaia, Autumn, 146 P.C.E.

The Doctor nearly tripped as he ran down the snow-covered pathway. Snow covered the castle like a thick blanket and the air was colder than dry ice. Guards lined the castle walls and faced out into the blinding snowstorm. Discord cast a giant force field around the castle and added a little fire bonus to it, just to be safe. Matilda had managed to enclose the Fire of Friendship within a magical, glass container, which she had also pulled from her hat. Discord made sure that Lily was safe and heavily guarded inside the castle before returning to the battlements. The Doctor and Twilight looked out over the snow-covered courtyard beneath them. The blue outline of the TARDIS could be seen from where they were standing. Howls echoed around the castle as a larger group of windigos attempted to break through Discord's shields.

"I remember there being only three from the original story," said Twilight.

"Maybe they've been busy gathering followers since their first defeat," the Doctor assumed. Twilight eyed the Doctor awkwardly and he proceeded to clear his throat in response. "What's the matter? Is there something on my face?"

"Yeah. Snow. Lot's of it."

"No! Thank you, Captain Obvious! But seriously, what is it?"

"Was it true what you said down there?"

"Is what true?"

"Are you really 906 years old?"

"Yes. What? Have I not discussed my age with you recently?"

"No."

"Ah. Must have slipped my mind. I apologize. But, yes, it's true. I am 906 years old."

"How can you possibly be that old?!"

"I'm a Time Lord. It's normal for my species to live long periods of time. Whenever the time comes for us to quote-unquote die we just regenerate."

"Regenerate?"

"Yes. Whenever a Time Lord's body is fatally wounded, to an extent, or they live long enough, their current body is destroyed and we get a new one. That's what happened to me right before I arrived in Equestria. My previous body was destroyed and I got this body as a result."

"Fascinating. You're quite an interesting pony, Doctor."

"You're only noticing that now?!"

"No! There's just always something new to learn about you."

"I guess there is. By the way, why are you so shocked about me living so long? You have a princess who's over 1000 years old in your time."

"Yes, well, with Princess Celestia it's more-"

"Believable?"

"No! It's just a little bit more...complicated."

"Complicated?"

"Yeah! We only discovered that she's over 1000 years old two years ago from my time."

"What happened?"

"It's a long story."

"Yes...and I believe we don't have enough time at the moment to discuss it!"

Twilight turned to see the barrier slowly breaking apart. The windigos howled in delight as they began clawing their way through the cracks.

"Prepare yourself, Twilight," said the Doctor as he armed himself with his Sonic Screwdriver. Twilight looked around the snowy battlements and then turned back to the Doctor.

"Doctor?" she said.

"Yes?"

"Where's Matilda?"

Safe Room, Castle of Equestria, Equestria, Gaia, Autumn, 146 P.C.E.

Lily was half-conscious. Her mind was burning and yet she couldn't figure out why. Her recent marathon of predictions had left her weak and battered. This was the worst time for a queen to find herself unable to help her king defend the castle. The guards had been placed all around the room and had received orders from Discord himself to keep anypony from entering. She felt so alone. The safe room was definitely nowhere near the most glamorous room in the castle. It was around the size of an average peasant's bedroom and had no windows. It had a brass door and metal walls painted orange-red. Three lanterns hung from the walls, bathing the room in a yellow light. Lily sat up and sat on the edge of the bed. She was still incredibly weak. She hardly felt awake. It was if she were in a trance. Every few seconds, something would call out to her from the silence. It wasn't a voice and it didn't remind her of the feeling she received when she gave her predictions. It was an odd, alien sound. A sound that was so indescribable that one's ears would start bleeding before they could start coming up with a description that could even come close to what it sounded like.

"What are you?" she asked weakly. "Why are you calling me? What do you want?"

It was then that the door opened and in walked not any of the guards but Matilda.

"How are you feeling, your majesty?" she asked as she approached the bed. She had a solemn smile on her face.

"I...I thought the guards weren't letting anypony inside."

"Yeah, well, I'm an expert at getting ponies to do what I want."

"Why are you here?"

"To help you but, more importantly, to help Equestria."

"How?"

"Listen, Queen Lily. Time is complicated but it is also very fragile. Sometimes, in order for things to work out for the better, some unfortunate ponies have to make sacrifices."

"What are you talking about?"

"I'm talking about what's happening right now. The windigos are going to win and the future of your country will be forever uncertain unless you do what I'm about to tell you."

Matilda sat down next to the Queen on the bed and sighed.

"I have a feeling that I'm not going to be particularly fond of what you're going to tell me to do," the Queen guessed. Matilda turned to Lily and stared at her with her glassy, blue eyes. She then smiled and let out a nervous chuckle.

"I'm sorry to say it, but you're right," replied the mysterious mare.

Battlements, Castle of Equestria, Equestria, Gaia, Autumn, 146 P.C.E.

A loud crack ripped through the air as the force field fell apart. The windigos cheered with delight as they flew towards the castle. There must have been at least twenty of them. Certainly not a fair number to match the hundreds of guards surrounding the castle but when one has the power of ice and wind on their side it tends to even the score. Windigos began tearing through and freezing guards left and right as the Doctor and Twilight watched from the battlements. Discord has taken to the skies and was now involved in a deadly brawl with the icy spirits. The Doctor looked and saw one particular windigo glare down at him. The windigo began making its way towards the duo.

"It looks like our friend from the dungeons has come back for more," said the Doctor.

"I wish Matilda hadn't disappeared with the Fire of Friendship!" Twilight exclaimed as she backed up. That's when she fell and tripped over something. The Doctor looked to see a glass jar filled with red-purple fire sitting on a patch of concrete devoid of all snow. A note was taped to the jar and it read: Don't burn yourself trying to save the world, sweetie. The Doctor smiled as he picked up the jar.

"Good old Matilda," he said as he took the note off. "I'm starting to wonder if she and River Song are related."

"Who's River Song?" Twilight asked.

"Long story. Why don't we talk about it later?"

The windigo flew towards them but Twilight managed to push the Doctor out of harm's way.

"Good idea!" the unicorn exclaimed as the windigo circled back for more. The Doctor opened up the jar and let the Fire of Friendship float up into the sky. Snow began to melt around them but it quickly froze over again. "This is wrong. How can the Fire of Friendship not be destroying the windigos?!"

"They must have been waiting a long time for this. Long enough for them to gain a type of immunity to the Fire," the Doctor replied. They watched as the windigo tried to fly away from the Fire but found itself caught in a gravitational pull. The windigo smashed into the Fire and instantly melted into a pile of slush. "Well, maybe not a complete immunity."

"So the Fire can still destroy them. But I'm sure the rest aren't going to be stupid enough to fly into it."

The Doctor tried to summon the Fire back into the jar but the Fire remained floating a few feet above the battlements.

"Why does magic have to be as stubborn as a mule sometimes?!" he groaned as he attempted to jump up and grab onto the fire.

"I really don't think that's going to work," said Twilight. The Doctor stopped jumping and took another look around the castle. The Fire was able to turn the tide of battle in the Equestrians' favor for a little bit but the windigos were still powerful enough to withstand its power. Suddenly, the slush around the Doctor's feet began to move on its own. Within a few seconds, the previously destroyed windigo was standing before them. "And they can come back from the dead. That's fair."

The windigo lunged at Twilight but she dodged it. She summoned a fireball and launched it at the ice spirit. The fireball hit its mark but the windigo quickly recovered. The Doctor turned and watched as two windigos plowed through a group of soldiers, including Clyde, while successfully freezing them in the process. The Doctor then turned back to his own windigo. The windigo jumped at him and the Doctor aimed his Sonic Screwdriver. As the Screwdriver went off, some of the Fire flew down and smashed into the windigo, reverting it back into slush.

"How did you do that?!" Twilight asked.

"I don't know! I guess the Fire is forming some type of connection with my Sonic Screwdriver!" the Doctor replied. A loud yell emanated from above them. They looked up to see Discord surrounded by at least seven windigos. The largest of them, the leader, jumped at Discord and wrapped its icy body around his head. Discord shot several fire and lightning blasts from his claws but the other windigos managed to subdue him.

"This doesn't look good!" Twilight exclaimed as a massive explosion of ice erupted over the castle. When the snowy debris cleared, Discord was floating above the castle surrounded in a blue aura. The other windigos cheered in delight. A smirk appeared on Discord's face which reminded Twilight of her first encounter with the King of Chaos. Discord looked down at the castle and laughed. It certainly wasn't a laugh resembling that of the Discord they had come to know nor was it a laugh resembling that of the Discord Twilight knew. It was a cold, heartless, terrifying laugh. "What's happened?!"

"Isn't it obvious?" the Doctor asked. "The leader has managed to possess Discord."

The possessed Discord looked down at the castle, his claws turning into sharp, icy knives.

"I shall freeze this world ten times over!" cried the possessed Discord. "The era of the windigos has begun!" The ice king then looked down towards the Doctor and eyed him darkly. He then descended towards the battlements. The Doctor and Twilight backed up as the possessed Discord eyed them with his new, glassy, blue eyes. "Doctor of Gallifrey. Why do I know that name?"

"I'm sorry, have we met?" the Doctor asked.

"No. One of my brethren told me about your little dispute with him and I remember hearing tales of a Doctor from Gallifrey through the stories of my ancestors."

"Wait...so you're not the same windigos from the old tales?" Twilight asked. The possessed Discord turned to Twilight and stomped his foot on the ground. Ice appeared around Twilight's hooves, locking her in place.

"I may be sketchy about the Doctor of Gallifrey but I know you quite well, Daughter of Magic!"

"What?!"

"There's no doubt in my mind that it's you. You're the descendant of the wretched unicorn who banished my ancestors away to the cursed lands!"

"Clover the Clever?"

"Yes. I was born with knowledge of her scent. Her scent still dwells on you, Daughter of Magic. Today, I shall end my enemy's bloodline, once and for all!"

The possessed Discord attempted to freeze Twilight completely but the Doctor used the Fire to melt the ice away.

"Sorry! Can't let you do that! I need to get this unicorn home and I'd prefer to return her home alive, thank you very much!" said the Doctor. The possessed Discord roared as he took to the skies. He tried to destroy the Fire but it simply dodged the attacks and sealed itself back into Matilda's jar. "Great! Now you go and seal yourself back inside!"

"The Doctor of Gallifrey and a Daughter of Magic. Together to witness my frozen Armageddon!" the King announced as he shot an blast of icy lightning into the sky. The Doctor grabbed the jarred Fire and watched as the gray sky began to turn into a deep, frozen blue. The Fire became hot in the Doctor's arms, as if yelling at him to do something. Meanwhile, Twilight looked down into the courtyard to see two figures running towards the blue outline of the TARDIS.

"Matilda? Queen Lily?" she asked as the world around her began to freeze to death.