• Published 13th Jan 2013
  • 2,816 Views, 63 Comments

Doctor Whooves Episode 5: Before the Chaos - Doctor Perseus



The Doctor and Twilight, after accidentally picking up a mysterious mare named Matilda, end up 100 years prior to the birth of Princess Celestia and run into the king of chaos himself at a time when he was actually good.

  • ...
4
 63
 2,816

The Living Storm

Chapter 4: The Living Storm

Equestrian Gardens, Castle of Equestria, Equestria, Gaia, Autumn, 146 P.C.E.

The Doctor, Twilight, and Matilda walked through the maze of multicolored roses as snow continued to fall from the sky. It was early morning now and the once-blue sky was now replaced by that of a light-gray cloud cover. The Doctor picked up a small pile of snow in his hoof and tasted it.

"It's regular snow. Nothing strange about it whatsoever," said the Doctor.

"But snow shouldn't be falling until December. That's what Queen Lily told me," said Twilight.

"It's weather. It'll do what it wants."

"No it won't. Weather is controlled and scheduled by pegasi."

"Really?! How peculiar. Weather just operates on its own in my dimension."

"Well there are some places in this dimension where weather operates on its own. The Everfree Forest is a prime example," said Matilda.

"The Everfree Forest?"

"It's a dark, dangerous forest by Ponyville. It doesn't exist yet."

"Speaking of time, have you found out what year we're in?" Twilight asked as the Doctor began examining the snow with his Sonic Screwdriver.

"Not really," he replied.

"I can answer that. Discord has been ruling for 283 years. That means that this must be 146 P.C.E. Princess Celestia won't be born for another century," Matilda replied.

"How were you able to figure all of that out?" Twilight asked.

"I've done a lot of traveling in my life. A lot of it has been with you and the Doctor."

"Right...well-"

"I know, I know. It hasn't happened yet for you."

"Matilda, who exactly are you?" the Doctor asked. Matilda chuckled as she kicked some snow around with her hooves.

"I'm a friend. Do you really need to know anything else?"

"Yes," Twilight replied sternly.

"Well, like I always say, what you don't know now you'll find out about tomorrow."

"Is it just me or is it getting extremely cold out here?" the Doctor asked.

"Doctor, it's snowing. Of course it's cold," Twilight replied.

"Yes, I know it's snowing and it's supposed to be cold but doesn't it feel a little bit too cold?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well this snow feels colder than it should be."

"Snow can be too cold?"

"Yes. This isn't normal cold...it's enforced cold."

"Enforced cold? What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means that somepony or something is causing this snow. It's not pegasi, it's not unicorn magic, and it's not little pieces of wild weather. Something's out there, forcing everything to be cold," Matilda said. Twilight looked at the snow continuously falling from the sky above. A mild wind had also begun to pick up.

"This all seems familiar," she said.

"How so?" the Doctor asked.

"I've heard about enforced cold, snow, and wind somewhere before. I just can't put my hoof on it."

"Try to remember. If this turns out to be a problem, then we're gonna need all the information we can get."

Twilight nodded. It was then that she thought back to Queen Lily's prediction. She had told the Doctor and Matilda about the Queen's mother's pact in order to give her daughter never-ending beauty, but she had yet to mention the prediction.

"Something...happened to the Queen last night right before it began snowing," she said.

"What happened?" Matilda asked.

"I think she predicted something."

"You mean like predicted something from the future?" the Doctor asked.

"I think so."

"Do you remember what she said?"

"Actually, I remember it all perfectly clear. It's as if it's burned into my memory."

"Well tell us!" snapped Matilda.

"Okay. Here it is. The mistress and the element arrive to play; the King prepares for his final day. The icy fiends return from the grave, and the Doctor sadly will have nopony to save. The cost of beauty is finally paid; the daughters of magic fight the raid. A friend will perform a trivial task, and Twilight Sparkle will return home at last."

The Doctor sat down on a snow-free bench and went over the prediction in his mind.

"The mistress and the element arrive to play. What on earth could that mean?" he asked. He took a look at Matilda and then looked at Twilight. "Does that mean anything to you, Twilight?"

Twilight sighed and nodded.

"I think the mistress might be you, Matilda," she said. Matilda smiled and chuckled seductively. "The element must be me."

"How are you an element?" the Doctor asked.

"Have I told you about the Elements of Harmony?"

"I don't think so."

"Well there are six Elements of Harmony: honesty, kindness, laughter, generosity, loyalty, and magic. My friends, Applejack, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, and myself represent the elements respectively."

"So you represent the Element of-"

"Magic."

"Makes sense."

"Okay so we've sort of figured out the first line of the prediction. But what does it mean by arrive to play?"

"Maybe you two have arrived to play around."

"Very funny, Doctor," said Matilda. "I can only assume that it's not as simple as that."

"I'll tell you what. Some parts of that prediction are really troubling me. Like the King prepares for his final day and the icy fiends return from the grave."

"Let's also not forget about and the Doctor sadly will have nopony to save and the cost of beauty is finally paid," said Twilight.

"I've got a feeling that the beauty line has something to do with the Queen," Matilda guessed.

"The icy fiends return from the grave. Does that ring any bells, Twilight?" the Doctor asked.

"Sort of but it's very fuzzy. It's almost as if something is preventing me from remembering," Twilight replied.

"I would only assume as such."

It was then that Discord appeared from around the bend.

"Curious. I've tried all the spells in my arsenal and this snow just refuses to disappear," he said. "I might have to have a talk with the pegasi about this."

"This has nothing to do with pegasi, your majesty," said the Doctor. "Some form of magic is at work here. Really dark magic."

"I think what you say is true, Doctor, though I dearly wish it weren't."

The wind began to pick up and more snow began to fall from the sky.

"We better go inside before we become living ice sickles!" said Matilda as she walked past the Doctor and Discord.

"Right! Everypony inside!" Discord ordered.

Discord and Lily's Chamber, Castle of Equestria, Equestria, Gaia, Autumn, 146 P.C.E.

Lily wanted to get out of bed but all of her strength was gone. A cold sweat covered her body and her breathing was incredibly heavy. Something was coming. She could feel it. Something was coming and it was coming for her and Discord. A pain shot through her head and she blacked out.

She found herself standing in the burning remains of the main courtyard. Discord was standing over her, his face warped and twisted with rage.

"You did this!" he yelled.

"No! No Discord no!" she screamed.

"You did this and now you must pay!"

His eyes glowed red as the fire began enveloping Lily's body. She began screaming in agony.

Then she woke up. Discord was standing over her. The Doctor, Twilight, and Matilda were standing behind him.

"Is she alright?" Twilight asked.

"Don't worry," Lily coughed. "I'm fine."

"That's hard to believe. A few seconds ago you were screaming bloody murder!" Matilda exclaimed.

"Was I? Sorry. It was just a bad dream."

"Your majesty," said the Doctor as he approached the troubled queen. "I need to ask you if you know anything about predictions."

Lily sighed and looked up at her husband. She then turned back to the Doctor and nodded.

"Yes. I know a fair amount about predictions."

"Twi...Tara told me about what you told her last night. She mentioned you reciting a prediction or prophecy of sorts. I'm guessing that cursed beauty isn't the only thing you received from your mother's magical deal."

"You're right, Doctor."

"What are you talking about, Lily? What do you know about prophecies?"

"There's something about me that I never told you. Ever since I was a little girl, there have been moments where I've uncontrollably recited predictions for future events. I never told anypony because the events were never good. I recited a prediction the day before my father died. I can only assume that the prediction I've recited now has something to do with this strange snowstorm."

Matilda walked over to the window, which was now completely white.

"It looks like it's picking up," she said.

"What did the prediction state?" Discord asked. Lily simply shook her head and sighed again.

"I don't know. I lost consciousness when I recited it. The only pony who knows what I said, is Tara," the Queen replied. Twilight felt her heart stop for a second. She couldn't tell Discord the prediction. The part about the King preparing for his final day definitely had something to do with him and it didn't sound good.

"What did my wife say?"

"I...I...I don't remember. It's all fuzzy to me now," she lied.

"Please! You must remember!"

"I can't! I was too busy worrying about the Queen's blue eyes and steaming mouth to focus on what she was saying!"

Lily suddenly grabbed Discord tightly. Her eyes turned bright blue and her mouth began steaming. She looked deep into Discord's eyes and said, "The living storm is on the way; the final stand shall be today. The traveler shall abandon a broken soul, for the Queen's love shall take its toll."

Lily's eyes returned to normal and the steam faded away.

"I'm sorry. I did it again," she said as tears began forming in her eyes. Discord proceeded to comfort his wife as the Doctor, Twilight, and Matilda grouped together.

"Anypony have any ideas about what that meant?" Matilda asked.

"The living storm is on the way. So is the storm alive?" Twilight asked.

"Possibly. It may not be as simple is that," the Doctor replied.

"Well, whatever's going on, it's going to hit its high point today," said Matilda.

"I know. We have to be ready."

Suddenly, a loud boom echoed throughout the castle. The floor shook a bit and the walls groaned as if they were in pain.

"What was that?" Discord asked.

"Something bad," Twilight said.

"And it's very close," Matilda gulped. Another boom rocked the castle and Discord stood up. The Doctor approached the window and looked outside. Ice was beginning to crystallize on the exterior of the glass. He looked closely and examined the typhoon of snow outside of the window. Then he saw them. A pair of sharp, blue eyes staring back at him from the wall of white. At first, they were small. Then they began to grow larger and closer.

"Everypony get away from the window!" the Doctor ordered. Discord wrapped himself around Lily while the Doctor, Twilight and Matilda ducked behind the bed. That's when the window shattered.