• Published 18th Dec 2012
  • 5,885 Views, 434 Comments

Our Time to Fly - Shokinaw



Flight and life lessons mix for Rainbow Dash, Spike, Scootaloo, and all of their friends as everpony reaches for the sky, supporting each other's dreams and hopes no matter where they may lead them.

  • ...
7
 434
 5,885

Chapter 7: Catch the Wind

Chapter 7

Catch the Wind

He stumbled through the murky, inky charcoal cloud. The smoky darkness was flooding his vision completely, and the pungent smell assaulted his nostrils, tearing at his taste buds. It was sickening but not debilitating or suffocating like it would be for most others. His shoulders stung, but his flanks were what cried out against his attempts at movement. Their scorning protests didn’t stop him from taking another step or his next. Each came with a hope of finding some way to escape ahead. He felt dizzy, confused, and sluggish with no idea what direction he was headed or why he was headed there. His mind was a blur of successive images, memories trying to fight their way to the surface, but he just couldn’t focus enough on any one of them to understand his situation.

Then there, deep in the dark cloud a sensation of warmth flowed over him, and a yellow light had found a way to break through the dark depths of smoke somehow, clashing against the darkness, reflecting off the rolling billows of black and grey. It was a distorted shape, but not an unfamiliar one. Familiar it may have been, but he couldn’t figure out what it was, try as he may to shake the cobwebs that clung to his mind. In the end, what it was didn’t seem important. The only thing that mattered is this guiding light had found him, but now it was already disappearing! The flickering light held all his hopes at escape, and even though it was strange, it felt friendly and spoke of something close to him.

“Wait!” He whispered to himself, as he watched it begin to fade, “Don’t go!”

Strength brought on by a rush of adrenaline seeped back into his limbs and he began to push forwards. Pain forgotten, he redoubled his efforts.

“Please! Wait!” He was chasing after the light as it weaved in, out, and around the shadows of the smoke and branches. Suddenly it cut upwards leaving him running head first into a tree. He shook the blow off quickly, rising back to his feet rubbing his head. He glared upwards at the retreating light that was now headed for the sky. A low growl rumbled through his chest and out the corners of his mouth. He would not lose it, this might be his one and only chance! He reached up and slammed a pair of claws into the old tree and began to pull himself up. The light started moving faster though, faster and faster! His claws tore deep gashes into the wood, his fore claws gripping against it as his hind claws pushed him up in an instinctive movement as he gave chase. The instinct leading him on as it did his father, and his father before him, and his before him, an instinct as old as his winged race.

He was racing up the tree, its wood splintering around him as it began to quake and break under his weight. He was catching up! The light was just out of reach, and he leapt towards it! Missing it completely, he still managed to catch himself upon another tree top. He leapt again and again, The light seemed so close, and so bright, but remained just out of reach! It was a brightness he recognized from somewhere, something he had seen only once some long years ago. He wouldn’t let it leave him, it was his best hope, he knew that now, though he couldn’t quite piece together why. His mind was still reeling and still nothing made any sense. Something in him was denying any attempt at logical thought.

That’s probably why he did what he did next, rocking his tree back and forth, drawing himself back, before making one more tremendous leap, slingshotting himself towards the familiar light that stood out amidst the black pillars of smoke rising against the dark of night. This time his leathery appendages splayed out as far as they could reach on either side. His arms and legs tucked in, and he felt the cushion of hot air beneath his wings, he pressed them down against it, sending himself further up.

It wasn’t high enough. That guiding light was still beyond his reach.

He raised his wings once more and pushed down again, this time his tail whipped backwards, pushing him slowly up. Still he needed more! He was almost there, he could feel that wondrous warmth! Again and again and again, his wing beats grew steady, his tail swished up and down with each one. He felt himself push higher and higher into the sky, the tree tops were left far behind! His wings catching the warm air and pushing off it repeatedly, until finally he felt the light envelop him and then-


Then there was a small sting in his eyes, one that comes with every morning when waking up directly under Celestia’s light, his claws that had raised themselves in fright were now mercifully blocking out the offending sunbeams.

“Spike?” The light blue blotch in his vision leaned over him, he could feel it poke him curiously several times in the side. “Are you alright?”

“I think so,” He tried sitting up, his claw moving to rub one of his shoulders. He took a glance around. This was not his bedroom, nor anything remotely like a bedroom. Millions of leaves danced and shook in the sunshine as a breeze flew past. It was like a sea of green that glistened in the sun and stretched on for miles into the horizon. The cool breeze tickled his scales, crawling its way around him until it met resistance around a small warm area on his stomach. There a familiar colourful phoenix had curled up and made itself comfortable, snoring in small steady chirps as it slept soundly.

“Pee Wee? What are you doing here? Actually, where is here?”

“Check it out Spike,” Rainbow Dash grinned and gave a wide gesture, “The Everfree Forest from above, in all its glory. You really gave us a wild ride last night! What do you remember?”

“I was fighting off the manticore, then stumbling through the smoke, and uh... a bright warm light, lead me out?” He scratched his head, unsure of his words. Rainbow Dash smiled and pointed a hoof towards the sleeping fiery bird on his stomach.

“Pee Wee?”

“You got it! Fluttershy had this idea that we could use him to find you. We tried to follow him, but he got away from us in the smoke. He did end up finding you though, then FWOOSH! The little guy shone so bright he practically lit the sky on fire! And get this!” The excited pegasus gripped Spike around the neck and made another wide gesture to the horizon, “In the middle of the smoke and flame, the shadowy silhouette of a dragon ascends high into the sky! With a deafening roar, it grasps for the light, taking it in claw, and then-!”

Rainbow Dash released him and flew twenty feet away, beginning to mimic a ragged, tired looking flight. Her flapping was lazily slow, letting her body drop a few feet or so before pushing her wings down to push her back up in a tired, bobbing motion. “Wrapped in the orange flame flowing from his clasped claws where he held the captive glow, the beast begins flying towards us, his shadow seemingly larger than life, dancing on the smoke behind him! It was like, one of the most awesomest things I’ve ever seen!”

Spike grinned cockily, and was about to reply with something witty in response, something suitable to how great being a dragon was, and how being awesome was just something to be expected, but something gave him pause, a thought began to gnaw at the back of his mind. The worried expression of a lion-like face as green flame blasted towards it. The mental image jolted him fully awake, and he quickly passed Pee Wee to his surprised friend, who was also awaiting the usual cocky remark in reply.

“Where were we when we ran into it?”

“When we ran into what?” she questioned, taking the sleeping phoenix carefully.

“The manticore! Where was it?”

“On the path to the Sister’s Castle, duh. Why?” She watched Spike scan the horizon, looking this way and that for something.

“Right, but where is that compared to where we are?”

“Just fly up and look for the burnt patch of trees.” Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes sarcastically before finishing with a smirk.

“Right, I’ll just fly- wait… what?”

Rainbow Dash continued to silently smirk in reply, as she sat on her tree branch, petting the sleeping bird in her hooves.

Spike frowned as her dramatic retelling of last night’s events finally sunk in. “I… flew? To reach Pee Wee, I flew?”

“Hear that Pee Wee? It’s almost like he was paying attention.” The bird looked around somewhat annoyed at being awoken prematurely. It gave a quick chirp in greeting to Spike before curling back up to return to its well earned slumber.

“Do you think I can do it again?”

“Couldn’t hurt to give it a shot. Just try going straight up.”

“A-Alright.” The young dragon perched on his oak branch, raised his wings, drew himself back, hoisted his tail up high, his whole body tensed in concentration and in hesitation.

“Go already!”

The sudden shout from behind spurred him on and without thinking he leapt, high into the air, his tail whipping back, pushing him even further, his wings catching the warm air under him. He practiced the controlled breathing Aqua Shallows was so insistent upon during his swimming lessons. Again he tucked his legs and arms close his stomach, his tail began to swish up and down, aiding his control and driving him on and up and up!

“Keep pushing!”

And he did! Strength bolstered by the urging of his coach constantly ringing from behind, he pushed and pushed and pushed climbing high into the air! His wing beat was steady, his tail swishing methodically, his breathing deep and even. His body swam over the wind, riding it as if swimming through water. He could feel the fire inside him, roaring, flaring, scorching him deep beneath his skin to the rhythm of each long draw of breath. It felt indescribably good! No, this wasn’t anything like swimming, it was far easier! Dragons weren’t built for water, they were made for flight, they were made for this!

The heat filled him up with... something. He could almost feel his body swelling up! He wasn’t sure what it was that was flowing throughout him, but he felt lighter, lighter than air! At last he slowed down, breathing deeply in long purposeful breaths, he finally turned his eyes from that white and blue expanse above him and looked instead to the trees below.

“Woah!” The height he managed to gain threw him for a moment. He had no idea just how high he had climbed, and now that he looked down at the small green patch of land that made up the muchly feared Everfree Forest, he could see everything! He was so high up he could easily compare the tiny village of Ponyville and its out laying farmlands to the large forest at its edges. The mountains sat not far in the distance, and then the rivers twisting their way to the sea! The sea! He had never even seen it before! It was breathtaking, and stunning! It was also very dizzying. He felt his body droop a bit before catching himself.

“Careful there.” Rainbow Dash’s voice floated over to him filled with mirth, and it was only then he noticed she had followed him up and was now hovering at his side. “That’s one drop you don’t want to take.”

“Its amazing, you see this all the time?”

“Yeah, it is pretty cool.” She agreed not altogether impressed, and began quick little manoeuvres to flit through the air in speedy little jaunts from side to side, making it all look way easier than he knew it would be if he were to try the same. She did it with little to no effort all even with the phoenix still nodding off in her hooves.

“But the view is nothing compared to when its all passing in a blur, the wind is in your mane, the clouds are buzzing by as you speed past everything in sight. Streaking through the sky free to do anything, go anywhere, and push every limit! So now that you’re up here, what is it you wanted to see?”

“The manticore! I gotta find it!” His train of thought back on course, pointed himself down towards the forest and began to slowly make his way down.

“What’s so important about that ugly beast?”

“I need to make sure it’s alright!”

“Okay, we’ll have a look, but when I put out the fire you started there wasn’t any sign of it.”

“Please Dash! I don’t remember what happened! I had it pinned down, but it clawed me, and I- I think I… the fire was so big and-”

“Hang on big guy! Don’t panic. You know what? Lets get you back to town first. You haven’t been home yet, you know? I couldn’t lift you all the way back by myself, so Fluttershy and I have been keeping watches over you in shifts all night. Twilight and Rarity are worried sick. It’s everything Pinkie and Applejack can do to keep them from charging in here and teleporting you all the way home! First we calm them down, then we check on ol’ monster mash, alright?”

“Oh. Yeah, I guess.” He frowned at the news and looked towards the tiny village now. He was unsure of what to do. He needed to check on the manticore, he needed to know what happened! At the same time Rainbow Dash was right, if he’d been out here all night, Twilight would almost certainly come running into the dangerous forest after him, putting her and their friends in danger. With a heavy sigh he began swerving his way towards the village. He moved slow, the aching soreness in his hips guiding his pace. His Captain kept up with him easily, correcting his drooping form whenever it began to slump.

******

Twilight was pacing back and forth on her lawn. A thousand thoughts constantly reprimanded her, each condemning her for decisions made over the past two days. She should have gone with them! Why did she stay home? Why did she think just because he was a dragon he’d be alright? Spike has never had to directly face the horrors that the Everfree could toss his way, and now he was facing a manticore with nopony else there to help?! How could she be so stupid? Why did Rainbow Dash even leave him alone like that? With Rarity and her there they could have outmatched or outwitted the monster easily!

Fluttershy had come in halfway through the night, and she confirmed what Rainbow Dash told them earlier. Spike had found his way to the top of an oak tree to rest, but she also added more details that Dash had decided to leave out. There were long gashes along his scales that left the shy pegasus very worried, but at the same time it didn’t look like he was bleeding at all. It did nothing to lessen Twilight’s worries. There were more than just manticores in that forest, and he was still stuck sleeping in it overnight, now partially wounded. What if something else happened? If they had gone in there right after Rainbow Dash had dropped off Rarity, Spike would be home by now, probably asleep safely in his bed. Why did she listen?

She stayed home, of course, because each of these arguments found themselves easily countered by calmer minds. If they all went in after him, they would likely attract more trouble. If Rainbow Dash or Fluttershy seen anything strange going on around Spike, they’d just wake him up and get him to make his bed in another tree nearby. There weren’t many animals in the forest that wouldn’t listen to Fluttershy anyway. Applejack was Twilight Sparkle’s one solace at this point, a stable foundation of consolation against the fears that ran rampant through her mind.

Fluttershy was recovering from her turn at watch, sleeping soundly in a way that only exhaustion can bring out. Twilight couldn’t understand how anypony could sleep so effortlessly during all this. She hadn’t caught a wink of it herself. Now that she thought about it neither had anypony else other than the pegasi. Pinkie Pie was still talking to Rarity about the whole Flight Party nonsense she’d been setting up in the town center. The cheery pink party pony hadn’t barely given thought to the idea that Spike could still be in danger. Or maybe she was trying in her own way to take the edge off the worrisome situation. While Twilight would certainly appreciate that about now, she wasn’t going about it the right way. At least not for her. Rarity may have been finding it more helpful to focus on anything else though.

Her fellow unicorn was probably as much of a wreck as she was, if not more so. She had cleaned herself up overnight, but the evidence of her panicked state could still be seen in the dark rings around worried eyes that continued to glance every so often to the sky or towards the forest. When she spoke in reply to Pinkie’s conversation it was with a quiver that the unicorn was trying desperately to conceal. Her words were sparse and few when the topic returned to Spike’s predicament, always in agreement with Applejack, or with a quick question of how Spike was when Fluttershy or Rainbow Dash returned from their shift.

The biggest surprise for her was the young orange pegasus just barely out of her filly years who volunteered to be lookout after a long argument with Rainbow Dash on whether she could come out to the forest to help on a shift. Now, Scootaloo sat perched on a branch in the higher reaches of the Golden Oaks Library tree staring out into the early dawn. She was always the first to see Fluttershy or Rainbow Dash return and would fly over to meet them. For a filly that couldn’t fly a day ago, now she hardly ever kept her hooves on the ground. Twilight would have smiled at the thought if she wasn’t currently plagued by an infinite number of doubts and distress concerning her oldest friend. She paused a moment to consider the young pegasus when Scootaloo squinted her eyes and a smile grew wide on her face.

Twilight quickly twirled around to stare where she was looking, she didn’t need to wait for Scootaloo’s call that came just a moment after. There were two shapes and a spark of yellow flame on the horizon. One shape flew quickly and easily, the other was larger and lumbering, with a small flame that seemed to flit around it.

“Spike…” The name came quietly and unbidden at first as recognition came. She began to move towards them at a small trot, and then at a gallop. “Spike!”

Her voice was lost amidst the cheer and commotion that began at the moment Scootaloo's call went out. She already flew out to meet returning pair while still in the air. Her friends were shouting cheerful greetings and began to run at Twilight’s side to meet the comrades as they began to land. Even Fluttershy woke up with at all the noise that rang out and managed to eventually catch up to the others to welcome home their friends.

“Are you alright?” Twilight tried in a vain attempt to catch his attention before a white and purple blur tackled the young dragon off his feet before he could even fully land.

“How could you send me away like that? You could have been really hurt or even killed, or some other awful thing! Then where would we all be?! We’d all be left to think it was our fault because we didn’t do more to help, that’s where! I can’t believe you’d ever be so selfish! You are never to do any such thing again, you hear me?! If I want to help you are not to object! You are not to ever send me away again!”

It was a little strange to watch the most refined and elegant unicorn she’d ever met berate her little brother while at the same time hugging him tight enough to cause his eyes to bulge. Rarity tried unsuccessfully to keep the sobs from her voice. The dam had finally broken it appeared, and after restraining herself from breaking down all night, actually seeing him in front of her must have released it all at once. Twilight didn’t blame her for being upset. The idea of being forcefully dragged away from a situation where she thought she could be of use while a loved one was left behind would have made this waiting a thousand times worse.

At the same time she also felt it was completely unfair that Rarity be the only one to have relief from that tightness she felt in her chest. One pink flash of light later found a very surprised unicorn hugging Pinkie Pie, and Twilight was helping her little brother back to his feet.

“Aww!” Pinkie smiled widely at the new guest clinging to her neck. “Don’t worry Rarity, I won’t never ever send you away!”

“Uh... Thank you, Pinkie.” Rarity rolled her eyes after recovering from the startling change of position. With a small smile she wiped away her tears. “I appreciate that.”

“Here, hold out your arms.” Without waiting for a response, a pink glow surrounded Spike’s arms and lifted them both up as Twilight took measure of the deep scratches in dark purple scales. The trail of claw marks ran down around his thighs and shoulders, and even across his face.

“Knock it off Twilight, I’m okay, and we gotta hurry! I still got-”

He was interrupted quickly as a pink glow yanked his chin down to her height, capturing his head and forcing him to stare her in the eye.

“You aren’t doing a thing until I make sure you’re okay. Understand?” He instinctually attempted to back pedal in fear, but his scrambling amounted to nothing against the strength of magic wielded by the great Twilight Sparkle, apprentice mage to the throne of Equestria. He swallowed the lump that was forming in his throat. Spike was always good at reading her, she knew, but with the tumult of emotions running through her right now, he probably had no idea what to think.

I’m not even sure what I’m was thinking. She thought to herself. Her tone may have come out darker than she meant, but at the moment she didn’t care. The one thing she wanted from him now was no arguments.

“Yes Ma’am.” He agreed quickly out of fear, and for expediency’s sake Twilight made no effort to apologize or correct any misguided assumptions as she continued her inspection.

“Fluttershy, take note. Twenty light gashes on each leg, torn scales from outer thigh stretching down to knee. Each incision is estimated at one half inch in diameter.”

It had raked its hind claws against him when it was in a panic. The image was vivid in her mind. She had to pause and shake it away before she could continue.

“Eight more with a 2-inch diameter along thickest scales on flanks, deeper piercing. Still not threatening, but will take longer to reform. Further lacerations on shoulders go much deeper but length of gashes is limited to the single area.” She ran a hoof across the scales along his shoulders and Spike didn’t flinch. Her voice finally softened.

“It was using its front claws to grip you, wasn’t it?”

“Uh…yeah.”

“Deeper than lacerations on legs it still didn’t break actual skin.” She continued, releasing his head from her magical grip, but he obediently stayed put as she inspected his face. She trailed her hoof across the small lines of pink scales there.

“Oh Spike, your poor snout…”

“I’m okay Twilight, really. It probably looks worse than it is.”

She fixed him with a glare. She knew his body, probably better than he did. She’d been studying it closely all his life and most of hers. While it was true that tearing through dragon scales to the point it would have an effect would be an arduous task to even the sharpest of claws, blunt force trauma had full effect on dragons. Something as strong as a manticore would be plenty powerful enough to leave bruises, broken bones, or worse hidden beneath the purple protective coat.

“Well my flank hurts where it pounced on me.” He admitted as he withered under the glare.

“Turn around.”

“Come on Twilight!”

The plea was ignored and the universal gesture for ‘turn around’ was her only reply. She knew her friends were peering on in curiosity. Spike was never seriously injured before that they knew of. They hadn’t seen him back in Canterlot when he was going through that whole phase of his. She was hoping he was finally past it, it had been a long time since his last attempt at something like that. Even so, this whole event left familiar worries in her heart that it was all going to start again. This isn’t the worst shape she’d seen him in, not by a long shot. It was probably going to be hard for the others to fully understand that the gashes across his body that would probably leave a pony on their deathbed were closer to feeble blemishes to dragon anatomy.

The scales would grow back, if discoloured, in about a week’s time. She also understood it was embarrassing to be inspected under the big-eyed stares of his friends, but if a blush was the worst that he would come away with after all this he should consider himself very fortunate.

He sighed and obediently turned around so she could fully inspect the deeper gashes torn up and down his flank. She ran her hoof along them and could feel the difference instantly. Major swelling warped his entire hind quarters. This time his whole body flinched at the light pressure, and she instantly jerked her hoof back.

“You. Bed. Now!”

“But Twilight!” He whined.

“I mean it Spike! Move!” She pointed a hoof towards the library for emphasis.

“I can’t! You don’t understand!”

“What I understand is you nearly got yourself killed last night, most of your hindquarters are swollen, you’ll be lucky if your tailbone is still intact, and I can’t even be sure it is! Until I can find out for certain you’re going to be taking extra care of yourself!”

“I don’t care!” He turned around quickly, his eyes glaring back defiantly. “I have to make sure its okay!”

She was about to retort that whatever it was could wait until he was properly diagnosed, but she paused as felt Applejack’s hoof on her shoulder.

“Make sure what’s okay, Sugarcube?”

“The manticore.” Rainbow Dash answered before Spike could. “He thinks he might have done a real number on it.”

“Hmph!” Rarity scoffed, “It’d serve the awful brute right.”

“Oh no! Not at all, the poor kitty was probably just confused.” Fluttershy looked down sadly, “How badly do you think it’s injured Spike?”

“I-I ‘m not sure… I can’t really remember right… I had it pinned to the ground. I was trying to think of how to get away, but then it got a claw loose and swatted at me and I just lost it… Then there was fire everywhere… and smoke… I don’t… I’m not sure if I…”

“Melted its face off?” Rainbow Dash tried helpfully, incurring glares from almost every other pony there, outside of a chuckle from Scootaloo, and a horrified gasp from Fluttershy. “What? Like Rarity said, it got what was coming to it.”

“No! Spike’s right Twilight, we have to go find it!” The usually shy pegasus pleaded.

“Alright, we do.” Twilight nodded in agreement. She began to understand Spike’s insistence on the matter now. “But Spike doesn’t. He goes to bed. Scootaloo, can you go fetch the vet and watch over him for awhile?”

“Can do!” The young pegasus didn’t wait for another word before taking off on the errand.

“But I can still help!” Spike protested quickly.

“Ah don’t think so Sugarcube. Twilight’s got the right of it. Yer gonna stay right here in Ponyville if Ah have tah hog tie yah to yer bed. Leave the rest to us, we’ll figure out what happened tah that ol’ beasty for yah.” Applejack stood beside Twilight with a wry grin. A grin that was just begging him to try to call her bluff. Spike paled a little. Applejack never bluffs.

“Besides, you have to get better quick as can be Spike! No one would want to be all banged up for the blow out I’m going to throw!” Pinkie jumped around them all eagerly, her mood changing talents already well into effect. “You and Scootaloo learning to fly in the same week! It’ll be the best party ever!”

“Ain’t every party yer best party ever?” Applejack rolled her eyes before smiling at Pinkie.

“You’re right!” Pinkie Pie gasped, “And since Rainbow Dash helped bake the cake and put things together this time! That makes it the coolest party ever combined with the best party ever! Do you even know what that means? It’ll be the most awesomest party I’ve ever thrown! Wow! I’m so glad I already invited everypony in town!”

“That’s a splendid idea Pinkie Pie,” Rarity agreed before adding, “If you’re going to invite the whole town, perhaps Sugarcube corner won’t be nearly large enough. I’d be glad to help you decorate the town square.”

“But when Rarity helps it’s always the most fantastic party I’ve ever thrown... so if both Rainbow Dash and Rarity help out... then... then it’ll be-” Pinkie Pie paused, her mind imploded in on itself as she tried to think of the possibilities. She stood up on hind legs placing her hooves to her cheeks as the realization began to sink in, “It’ll be the most awesomest, mind blowingest, spectuclarest party ever thrown!”

Laughter rang through the crowd of gathered friends, and Twilight grinned over at Spike only to find he wasn’t paying it much attention. This wasn’t much like the easily excited dragon that spent so many years at the end of her bed. Her grin turned into deep concern as she watched her number one assistant continue to stare back at the forest he just escaped from. Something about this had genuinely bothered him.

“Well before we put together any flight parties, first we need to organize a search party.” She announced, putting a hoof on his shoulder so he’d turn to listen. “I promise, we’ll find it, and everything will be okay.”

Her brother turned to treat her to an appreciative smile.

******

Scootaloo sat outside the door. It was probably the longest time her hooves had stayed on solid ground for the last two days. Now she was left fidgeting in the hallway. She was nervous. She was concerned about Spike of course, but also she selfishly had to admit as much concern about the Fledgling Flier Contest. If any real harm was done to the dragon, she wouldn’t be able to compete! Even after everything they both went through to learn to fly, she’d still lose the bet and be Diamond Tiara’s clown show for who knows how long! If he’d gotten any broken bones it’d take months to heal, and they only had about a month left!

Finally the door opened and a yellow furred mare, with a blue highlighted mane walked out. Her trademark thermometer still in the pocket, she was probably one of the few ponies in town that actually needed a shirt, and she wore her lab coat proudly. She had her hair pulled up into a very professional-looking ponytail, however it did a poor job of keeping her hair out of her eyes, there was always some loose strands hanging there. She gave a warm smile to Scootaloo as she shut the door.

“It looks like he’ll be just fine as long as we can keep the ice from melting long enough to do his swelling some good. He’ll be stiff and sore for a few days, but outside that he’ll be good to go. Just make sure he takes it easy for the party tonight and stays off his feet as much as he can. ”

“No prob!” Scootaloo saluted her before zipping in to see the injured mythic beast lying on his bed. The vet had improvised a comically large ice pack on his rump that was kept in place by a wrap that was tied around the dragon’s waist and forced him to lay belly down, the large ice pack sticking up in the air. Scootaloo had to hold her breath to try not to laugh at his predicament, but her eyes were tearing up at the strain.

“Go ahead, get it all out now.” He sighed pathetically. Seeing her attempts to hold it back only made it that much worst.

“BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!”

The snorting laughter really did come out all at once. She laughed so hard she lost her breath and ended up hiccupping the last half of it. It took a full five minutes before the laughter died off and she had calmed down enough for conversation. Spike attempted to take it in stride, looking off to the side, tapping his finger impatiently, biting his lip in attempt to not look as cross or humiliated as he felt. He didn’t know it, but his attempt to keep his pride intact only made Scootaloo laugh that much harder.

“I am… I am… so… sorry.” She gasped out at last, wiping a tear from her eye, “You just look so…”

“I know.” Spike interjected grumpily. “I’m glad Rarity isn’t here to see this.”

“Sweet on her, are you?” Scootaloo teased, her interest perked. Her friends and her had always been somewhat fascinated by the whole love aspect to life, even when they were small fillies, but none of the trio had ever fallen for anypony themselves. They were always way too busy with their crusades to spend much time thinking about it.

“Only since like forever. Why?”

“She just, you know, seems a little fancy for you. Not to mention old.”

“You’re not the first to think so.” Spike answered with some small amount of annoyance as he rested his head on the back of his claws, “It’s not like you can tell your heart who or what to like, it’s going to do what it wants. Twilight has a checklist somepony has to meet to perk her interest. Everything about it makes perfect sense, and she mostly ignores anypony that doesn’t fit. It’s probably why she hasn’t had a date her whole life. Love doesn’t pay attention to things like logic.”

“Yeah, because you’re the love guru, right? Just admit it, you only like Rarity because she’s pretty.”

“Beautiful.” He corrected with a knowing smile and a faraway look.

“Yeah but she can be mean, she’s always haughty and dramatic about everything. She heaps all the heavy lifting on Sweetie Belle if any work has to be done, and she’s scared of dirt of all things!”

“I know, right?”

“And you’re willing to ignore all that just because she’s pretty?”

“Beautiful.” He corrected again with the same knowing smile. It felt like he had this conversation a million times before, and she was just missing the obvious.

“Ugh. Stallions.” The young pegasus slapped her hoof against her forehead, “It can’t just be that she’s beautiful. You can’t possibly be that shallow.”

“If that’s what it takes to love Rarity, then I’m as shallow as they come.” Spike insisted with a smile that wouldn’t fade, enjoying the frustration of the pegasus. A bit of vengeance for laughing at him earlier was due.

“Alright! I give up! What do you see in her?!”

“I wonder…” He teased, sarcastically pretending to think. “Tell you what, you tell me why you want to win this silly contest so bad, and I’ll tell you why I’ll chase Rarity to the ends of the universe.”

“What’s that gotta do with anything?”

“Not much. I’m just curious about it. Just like you are.”

“Well I already told you didn’t I? If you do something you go at it with everything you got.”

“Yeah, you told me that part, it’s everything else I don’t know anything about. Why are you so focused on this Fledgling Flier contest? You can become a fantastic flier without winning this thing a month after you first grab sky. And I don’t just mean that whole stupid bet thing with that snooty school filly.”

“You know about the bet?” Scootaloo groaned.

“Everypony knows about the bet, its hung up on a plaque at Sugarcube Corner. It’s not exactly inconspicuous. I mean jeez, it was the talk of the whole town when it first happened. But what started all this?”

“Well, I’m not sure, really.” She frowned, moving over to sit by the dragon’s bed. She sat on the floor and leaned back against the bed frame. “I guess it’s just being a Crusader wasn’t doing it for me anymore. Not with Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle gone most of the day working on their talents. You gotta understand, being a Cutie Mark Crusader was awesome when we were in school. It was more than just searching for your cutie mark. When we were together all the time, trying our hoof at every skill known to pony kind, I felt like I was really out there. It was like… being apart of something bigger than yourself, ya know? Now they’re both apart of something else, and I’m getting left behind.”

Spike frowned. The conversation had took a turn towards something more serious than he intended. He expected her to shy away from the topic so he could continue to needle her. Instead, for whatever reason she actually decided to give him a real answer. He listened on as she continued.

“Sweetie Belle’s really taking off at singing, and being part of that whole music scene. Apple Bloom’s construction work makes her a part of the whole town. But me? I’m was just stuck here flapping my wings uselessly, pushing my scooter around all day while they were out still being something more than themselves. We’ll always be the best of friends, but that just ain’t enough sometimes, ya know?”

“So all this flight training is really just you looking for more out of life?”

“Yeah, kinda. I mean maybe if I can fly the best, do some real amazing stunts or something, somepony out there is bound to notice me, right? They’ll want to, I don’t know, use me for something great! Does that make any sense?”

“Too much sense if you ask me. It sounds like you’re looking for the same thing I am.”

“What’s that?”

“A calling in life. It’s the same for me. Rarity’s got her fashionista thing, Twilight is doing her apprenticeship for Princess Celestia, and Rainbow Dash is always trying to be recruited into the Wonderbolts. Everypony has a dream to follow. Me? I’m just Twilight’s assistant. and I honestly always thought that would be enough. But now that everything is moving on, I think I need to as well. I want to be more than just a tagalong. I don’t know, it sounds kinda selfish when I say it out loud like that.”

“Not to me it doesn’t. Pony or dragon, we oughta be able to be out there finding that place we belong.”

“Yeah,” Spike admitted. “I’m glad it’s all working out so far.”

“How exactly? I’m still stuck dancing to Diamond Tiara’s tune. I still don’t have a cutie mark. I still don’t know what I want to do with my life when we’re finished here. It seems like it isn’t making any difference at all!”

“Except you’re being trained by Rainbow Dash, and now that you’ve already reached the sky you have a lot more places to search for whatever it is you’re looking for. You’ve already got a lot more options Scootaloo, and you even got a new friend helping you find what you’re looking for.” He closed his eyes and pointed a thumb at himself. “And I’m a pretty awesome friend even if I do say so myself.”

“Not just a friend,” Scootaloo smiled as she gave Spike a sideways glance before holding out her hoof, “I got a teammate.”

“A team.” He agreed bumping the proffered hoof with his knuckles.

“So….?” She prodded him along.

“So what?”

“So what is it that made you fall for that pompous pony?”

“Are we still talking about that? I thought we we’re done.”

“Oh no you don’t! I told you what you wanted to know about me, now it’s your turn. Spill the beans already!”

“Yeah, but I wasn’t expecting you to actually answer! Why do you even want to know? You’re not exactly the romantic type.” He questioned, looking for a way out of this direction their discussion was turning.

“Hey! I can be as romantic as anypony!”

“Right up until there’s mushy stuff right?” He grinned, watching Scootaloo's competitive streak kick in. It was always entertaining, especially when it was totally out of place and foreign to the subject matter, then again as far as he was concerned it really could have picked a better time to take hold.

“I can take whatever mushy stuff you can dish out pal! You’re just trying to avoid saying!”

“It wasn’t exactly a pleasant experience for me, okay? I don’t like talking about it.” He huffed out an annoyed sigh. This is one topic he would have preferred her to not be so stuck on.

“Wait, let me get this straight. The moment ya fell in love was a bad time? Ain’t your heart supposed to soar and you be all smiles or something?”

“It sure wasn’t for me. Don’t get me wrong, it made me feel great and all that, but it was right after the worst moment of my entire life!”

“Well that’s stupid.”

He simply shrugged in response.

“Well now I’m even more interested so start talking dragon!”

Spike let out another sigh as he took a moment to think of how to put that frozen moment in time into words. The instant he fell for her completely was embedded into him forever. It was a memory that plastered itself to the back of his mind and would never fade. The problem was it also dredged up other memories and emotions that he would prefer suppressed and locked away for the rest of his days. Now all of it came back to him, an unbidden and unwelcome reminder of the best and worst day of his life.

His friends were off to the side of the bridge, cheering in relief that the disaster had passed and every pony was safe. The little purple dragon sat on the bridge railing, away from everypony else, looking at the devastation in town. He was the disaster...

“It was after I… I lost control... everypony else was just happy it was over.”

Scootaloo heard his voice crack a bit, and he felt far away for somepony that was bound to his bed next to her. She suddenly understood that this was something very personal to him, and felt a little uncomfortable. Like she was eavesdropping on something she shouldn’t be hearing.

In Spike’s mind the gigantic footprint of a monster lay imprinted on the muddy river bank below him. He compared it to the small claw at the end of his arm. His heart sunk to dark places as his eyes took in their similar shape. He was that monster...

“When anypony else would have avoided me… She didn’t.”

He felt the weight of a hoof on his shoulder, turning to see the blue eyed beauty standing beside him. Rarity was smiling, even after all he’d put her through, even after everything he’d done, she stood there smiling at him.

“When she should have been scared of me, she wasn’t.”

“You’re my hero, Spikey Wikey!” And then she kissed him, showing beyond any doubt she meant what she said.

“Because when I thought the worst of myself, she thought the best of me. I want… I want to live up to those words, to live up to what she thinks I can be.” Spike closed his eyes, laying his head down, looking suddenly very tired.

The topic was obviously about the legendary rampage he had through town, but Scootaloo was still very young at the time and was huddled with her parents in her basement. She never even caught a glimpse of what happened, only of the results afterwards. She actually thought it was kind of awesome when she heard the stories about him. Imagine having an inner beast that could crush a whole town, pin down the best of the Wonderbolts, and take on the elements of harmony! That’s hardcore!

Now that she was hanging with the dragon responsible, she could see it wasn’t all that awesome at all. It was more like nightmare fuel. It probably shook him to his core.

She took a moment to survey his bedroom as she processed it all. Sparse was the only word that seemed to fit… some curtains, a mirror, there were a few pictures of his friends on a small locked cupboard being used as a night table, one where he stuck his own picture next to them off to the side. His closet door was left open with a few costumes inside, an old basket where he used to sleep was tucked in the corner, a stand for Pee Wee’s bird cage where the phoenix now lay sleeping lazily, and a small book shelf with large tomes about dragons and old fairy tales. Each book had a birthday card attached to it’s front, and that was it. Not a single other possession. Not even a lamp to read by or an old toy he might have kept from his youth. No posters, comics, or any signs of a hobby he might have. Nothing frivolous, impractical, or superficial could be seen anywhere. The room felt empty like the one sleeping here was transient and ready to leave at a moment’s notice. She wondered how much he had to deny himself, how often he had to hold himself back in fear of what could set loose a dragon on their town. She began to understand his whole resolve was now completely dedicated to never triggering his hoarding instincts again, that his rampage had shaped and would continue to shape his entire life.

“That’s why I have to know the manticore’s alright, I need to know I didn’t just snap and let it loose again.” Spike mistook the silent response as her wanting him to continue. “Rarity, Twilight, the Princess… They all think I’m better than that and I don’t want to disappoint them. I need to know that even when I’m desperate, I can still control myself.”

“You shouldn’t worry about it. That stupid cat attacked you guys right? You were just defending yourself and everypony else.”

“Maybe but Rainbow Dash and Rarity were already out of harm’s way. I was only going to create a smoke screen and make a run for it. He swatted me in the face though,” Spike pointed to the light pink scales on his snout, “and I don’t remember what happened after that at all… What if I didn’t? What if I melted his face off like Rainbow Dash said, or hurt him real bad or something?”

“You’d be totally fearsome!” She exclaimed excitedly.

“Scootaloo!”

“Yeah yeah yeah. I know. It probably wouldn’t be right, but it would be cool!”

“Maybe to you,” Spike grumbled, “but I’d have to live with knowing I can’t even try to protect my friends without going dangerously berserk.”

The thought gave the young pegasus pause. What if it were her? What if protecting the other crusaders made her rampage around, possibly putting everypony in danger?

“Ick. Okay, that wouldn’t be great.”

“I just hope the search goes well. They’re all dealing with that dangerous forest because of me, and we wouldn’t have been out there at all if Rarity hadn’t been trying to help me. I should be out there dealing with it myself, not putting my friends at risk.”

“That depends on how much you consider them your friends.”

“What?”

“Look, if there’s one thing I learned about while being a crusader it’s that friends have to let other friends take risks when it means enough to them.” Scootaloo pointed to the gashes in his scales, “You’re all banged up, bedridden, and really concerned about this whole manticore thing. Ain’t no friends of the Rainbow Dash that are going to sit still while you suffer. Not when there’s something they can do about it!”

“I should at least be out there helping.” He continued to complain.

“Hey, a pony’s gotta do what a pony’s gotta do. Sometimes you can’t do anything so what you gotta do is nothing. Ya gotta sit a game out every now and again. Show how much you appreciate everypony for it when they’re back and try not to worry about it. Or you can mope around a bunch. One or the other.”

“That’s a stupid set of choices.”

“Tell that to Rarity and Twilight, they’d know better than you.”

“Wait, what?”

“Well, what do you think they did all night? You were off wrestling manticores and everypony else had to sit here on edge the whole night through. Now fair’s fair and it’s your turn. Stop being stupid about it already.”

“I guess that’s true... I never thought about it like that.” The thought gave him pause.

“You’ve been working on these friendship reports with Twilight Sparkle for how long, and you never thought about how your friends would worry about you if you were in trouble? Not exactly the smartest dragon out there, are ya?”

“Guess I’m just not used to thinking about them worrying about me. Normally I’m the one stuck home worrying about them.”

“You’d think you’d be better at it by now. I’m hardly ever the one left out, I should be the bundle of nerves.”

“So what’s stopping you?”

“It’s called faith. They got Rainbow Dash with them! How could they not be safe?”

“Yeah.” Spike admitted, his own mind turned not to their esteemed Team Captain, but to his best friend and teacher. All the dangerous quests she’d solved, adventures she’d seen, and trouble she’d thwarted began playing out in his mind. He remembered how she came home from each daring situation with a comforting smile and new letter to write Princess Celestia about. She was often the craziest pony he knew, but his sister was also the most stable part of his life. The manticore had barely been a sidestep in her long path, barely a pebble on a gravel road. Scootaloo was right, it probably wouldn’t even be a challenge to the elements of harmony.

******

Hidden crickets among the grass chirped in harmony with the flocks of birds hidden in the trees of the Everfree Forest. It was daylight, and while there were still timberwolves about to watch for, the four ponies laying about the forest floor seemed fearless. Now this could have been due to their numerous experiences in dealing with the dangerous woodland, or perhaps the layers of confidence they each had in each other’s talents as they managed to overcome all of the most dangerous catastrophes that plagued Equestria. Each one was each a hero in their own right, and together they formed an unbreakable fellowship of friends. Under their watch the rage of one of the Celestial Sisters, Nightmare Moon, was tamed! With their help, the Chrysalis Invasion was thwarted! The all powerful Discord was sealed, released, and befriended! Even King Sombra, emperor and enslaver of The Crystal Kingdom from a thousand years past was no match for their abilities!

For any one of these reasons each could walk with their head held high in the belief they could take whatever this haunted thicket could throw their way! But the only true reason they sat in the grove without a care was because the great manticore that had once presented itself as a challenge, was currently held in the throes of a belly rub at the hooves of the meekest of ponies gathered there, perhaps the meekest of the ponies gathered anywhere.

“Lame.” Muttered Rainbow Dash, annoyed by the scene before her. “This could have been an epic battle or something, you guys know this right? You’re settling for giving it first aid and petting it.”

“I think I prefer it like this.” Twilight smiled. “Spike will be glad to know it’s alright.”

“Spike’s a stand up guy as far as dragons go Twilight, but that thing has tried to kill us twice now. A good beating might make it think again before attacking another pony.”

“While Ah’d normally say yah got yerself a point Dash, how yah gonna lay a beatin’ on the thing now? We just got it bandaged up and Spike already gave it a bit of a thrashin’ and singed its mane pretty good anyhow. Besides, with Fluttershy about it’s just a big kitten anyway. It’s even little cute…” Applejack watched it take a playful swipe at Fluttershy’s hoof. She moved it just in time to avoid having it cleaved off, and never even flinched before moving her hoof back to play, only making more cooing sounds at it. “Well…in a ferocious, pony eatin’ kinda way.”

“Oh we couldn’t hurt this cute wittle kitty.” Fluttershy dangled a lengthy piece of grass over the monster which it took to biting and swiping at. “You were just being a big ol’ scaredy cat, weren’t you? You didn’t mean to hurt nopony. Did the big, mean dragon scare you? Yes he did!”

“Oh yeah, Spike scared it. The thing only attacked him on sight. This is stupid.” Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes and shouted at the beast, shaking her hoof at it. “You’re lucky cat! If it were just me I’d beat the living tar outta ya for messing with one of my fledglings!”

The manticore paid no heed to the noisy morsel, the piece of grass that would every so often tickle its nose was of far more essential concern.

“That reminds me, how is the whole fledgling flier thing goin’ anyway? Ah ain’t seen much o’ anypony outside the farm recently, and Ah’ve been keen on askin’ how it’s been workin’ out.”

“We’ve hit a few bumps on the way, we’re a bit behind schedule ‘cause of it. Depending on how bad Spike’s hurt, we might fall even further behind too. All in all its been pretty good though. They got their landings down pat, and while they haven’t really figured out gliding both just advanced straight to flying within two days of each other! Scootaloo’s sense of balance is top notch! She’s got style, heart, and the talent to go far! She’ll be a speedy little stunt pony just like her teacher.” She gestured to herself confidently.

“And I can’t wait to see how Spike is doing when he’s healed up. He’s going to be slower and not as capable when it comes to manoeuvres everypony is used to but he has a whole range of movement all his own. His wings are nothing like ours so we’re going to see some completely new and sweet moves from him! And with that massive strength and fire breath of his, it’s going to make an impressive show. If they keep giving it all they got, and we get the basic formations down, we might just surprise everypony. We’ve got a contending team put together here, and I think we have a real chance of taking that trophy home!”

“Sounds like yer right excited ‘bout all this, Sugarcube, but yah might have a hard time visiting yer folks in Cloudsdale like yah were meanin’. Yer hooves seem a mite full.”

“No worries, I got this all sorted out! Since the competition is in Cloudsdale, I’m gonna check in on everypony afterwards. The Fledgling Flier Contest takes two weeks to get through the qualifiers and another two for the actual contest. We’ll have plenty of time to catch up.”

“Wait a minute…” Twilight interjected, “The Fedgling Flier Contest takes place at the start of Fall. Your Weather Captain suspension will be over by then. Rainbow Dash, you won’t be able to do both!”

“Heh, yeah. I came across that little issue too.” She scratched the back of her head and looked away nervously. “I suppose I should have told you guys sooner, but I kinda….resigned from the weather ponies a week ago.”

Applejack, Twilight Sparkle, and Fluttershy all went suddenly still, their jaws dropping, as the piece of grass Fluttershy held was cut to ribbons, the manticore taking advantage of the momentary lapse.

“You did what?!” The three friends asked in simultaneous surprise.

“I quit. I just think I’m past that stage of my life now and it’s time to move on. I got a good thing going on here with Scoots and Spike, and I think it’s got potential to really go somewhere.”

“I had no idea how much you were getting into this! I- I don’t know what to even say!” Twilight’s mind was sent reeling through all the possibilities as it processed the new information.

“I know, it’s kind of a lot to take in.” The multi-coloured maned pegasus grinned, “I just think I’m going in the right direction for the first time in a long time. I want to ride it out and see where it goes. I might even take up being a coach at the school. After all, I am training the two newest rising stars of Equestria!”

“Kinda puttin’ all yer apples into one bushel ain’tcha?”

“Why do things halfway? This way I’ll always do my best because I can’t afford to fail.”

“Sounds like a recipe for disaster tah me.” Applejack whispered to Twilight who nodded in agreement before adding, “To each their own, I guess. But I’m glad you have so much faith in them! I hope everything works out soon though. I’ve been at my wit’s end without Spike around, I can’t wait until he’s done with this whole flight business.”

“Done with it? Are you kidding? You don’t just finish flight training Twilight. It’s practically a whole new way of life! Everything changes when you get that first taste of sky! Once you know you can go anywhere whenever you want the whole world opens up. He’s already planning frequent trips to Canterlot, who knows where that will lead or who he’ll meet along the way? He might even want to keep with the stunt shows once he sinks his teeth into one or two.”

“If that’s what he wants to do I guess.” Twilight held back a sigh and looked down at the grass without really seeing it. “But I hope he isn’t ready to quit his job yet. I’m not sure I can handle everything on my own.”

“Have yah tried anypony else?”

“Not really.” Twilight admitted, “But that’s because I don’t know who I could ask! Even though Fluttershy has been working out great, she has so much to do with taking care of animals at home that it hasn’t been enough, I still ended up suspended from my studies due to overworking. A part time assistant just won’t fill Spike’s place in the library. What I need a pony that will be able to dedicate themselves completely to my study habits. That means cooking, cleaning, organizational skills, taking dictation, keeping track of supplies, being available 24/7, complete familiarity with the Dewey Decimal System, and magical fire breath to keep in emergency contact with Princess Celestia if needed.”

Rainbow Dash and Applejack frowned at each other and shared an unspoken thought. Applejack turned back, chewing on her words trying to put the truth in the most polite way she could think of.

“Yah don’t think yer settin’ yer standards just a mite high there, Twilight?”

“Yeah, I mean, do you even listen to yourself?” Dash was somewhat less tactful, “Nopony’s gonna know anything about a ‘decimal system’ around Ponyville. Who wants to spend more time than they need to learning math, anyway?”

“What? The Dewey Decimal System isn’t math, it’s-”

“Really Dash?” Applejack arched an eyebrow at her pegasus friend, unintentionally cutting Twilight off, “Ah think a pony with magical fire breath is gonna be a good bit harder tah find than a pony that knows their way around some numbers.”

“But it’s NOT math, it’s just a way to-”

“Hey, weirder things have happened, especially in Ponyville. I bet I could find somepony with dragon breath before you could find a pony that wants to do anything with decimals!”

“Are you two even going to listen to me?” Twilight rolled her eyes.

“Probably not.” Fluttershy answered quietly, well used to being ignored in the heat of the bickering friends. The argument was already degrading into the silliest challenge anypony ever heard of. “But I am surprised. Did Spike really know how to do all that before he became your assistant?”

“Oh no, not at all. He had to learn a lot of it on the job. He put so much effort and time into figuring everything out, and that’s my conundrum. I think he really is going to be irreplaceable.”

“Oh yes. You’ll never be able to replace Spike. I don’t think I would even try.”

“But I need to get another assistant Fluttershy, I can’t just give up.”

“Yes, that’s a much better idea. You should do that instead.” Fluttershy nodded in agreement.

“What?”

“Oh, ummm… you know… getting another assistant instead of replacing Spike?”

“Fluttershy,” Twilight began, trying her best not to sound condescending, “Spike is my assistant. How can I get a new assistant without replacing him?”

“Twilight, he’s your closest friend and you’re his closest friend too.” Fluttershy smiled and put a hoof on the panicky unicorn’s shoulder. “He’ll always be willing to help you if you call on him, he doesn’t need to be your assistant for that. You’ll never be able to replace him, and you’ll never have to. They might not be able to help you in the same way Spike is able to, but I’m sure if you teach them, somepony can help you in their own way, isn’t that all you need?”

Twilight frowned inwardly. Maybe she really was thinking about this the wrong way. She couldn’t look for everything Spike already learned how to do in a pony. All she needed was a pony with the potential to be an assistant. Her eyes widened as the realization dawned.

“I see what you’re getting at! What I should be looking for isn’t an assistant, it’s an assistant-in-training! Somepony I can teach to be my assistant. And if I can coordinate with Spike to help out when he can, and have another fully capable assistant working full-time, I should be able to get even more done than I could before!”

“Now that sounds easier tah find. So what is it yah’d be lookin’ for in an assistant-in-training?” Applejack ears perked up at the change of direction of the conversation. “It ain’t more math and dragon fire, is it?”

“No, I think what I’d need most is a pony with a completely free schedule actually. I can teach them how to organize the library and books, and they can get used to my study habits with time. What they really need is just the time and ability to learn.”

“While looking for a pony with dragonfire would be way more cool,” Dash replied with a grin, “I guess if that’s all you need we can keep an eye out for a pony with some time on their hooves, there’s bound to be a couple around town.”

“Oh, I know a pony like that.” Fluttershy smiled up at her trio of friends as the manticore gave her a nuzzle in farewell before leaving.

“You do?” Twilight blinked in surprise. Fluttershy wasn’t exactly known for well… knowing ponies.

“Oh yes.” She waved good bye to the manticore before turning to face her. “Snails would be-”

“No.” Twilight cut her off with a flat look. Dash snorted through her hooves as she placed them over her mouth in attempt to cover her laughter. “I said I need a pony with time to spare, not a pony that would take up all of my time trying to teach them.”

“Ah think we’d be better off includin’ ‘a pony that doesn’t drive Twilight Sparkle up the wall’ on that list o’ things she needs.” Applejack allowed herself a smirk.

“I-I guess I don’t know anypony like that after all…” Fluttershy looked down with a frown.

“Don’t worry about it Fluttershy, I’m sure we’ll find somepony.” Twilight gave her back a pat.

“In the meantime let’s get back to town to give Spike the good news. He’ll be happy to hear everything’s alright. Besides if we don’t hurry we won’t have time to get ready for that party!”

Author's Note:

*puts a hand upon your shoulder and gestures to the horizon* "Italics. Italics everywhere."

Seriously though, you may have noticed this chapter didn't end on the climatic note I normally go for. That's because it was cut in half due to being frighteningly long. As mentioned in the blog, I won't be waiting long before releasing the next chapter to make up for it, since they were supposed to be together anyway. It'll be about two weeks time at most. In the meantime I hope you enjoyed this chapter!
Did? DIdn't? Have a favourite scene that sticks out in your mind? Let me know below!