• Published 18th Dec 2012
  • 5,877 Views, 434 Comments

Our Time to Fly - Shokinaw



Flight and life lessons mix for Rainbow Dash, Spike, Scootaloo, and all of their friends as everpony reaches for the sky, supporting each other's dreams and hopes no matter where they may lead them.

  • ...
7
 434
 5,877

Chapter 6: Finding your Balance

Chapter 6

Finding your Balance

It was early morning, the moon was pale and falling fast into the western horizon while the sun slowly gained strength in the east. Its golden rays had yet to pierce the cool night air that had been a comforting break from the heat of midsummer days. The birds were singing on every tree while most of the wildlife on the outskirts of town had yet to wake up. Knowing this made Scootaloo feel envious of the hundreds of sleeping animals she knew to be hidden somewhere in the underbrush of the surrounding the area. She yawned, utterly thankless that her one day off of flight training would still be spent getting up with the sun. At the same time, no amount of rest would be enough to tempt her away from what lay down the path to the small cottage on the edge of Ponyville.

A sweet melody was wafting over the sounds of a babbling brook not far from the cottage. Sweetie Belle stood on her hind legs looking over the railing of the quaint, wooden bridge that crossed the small channel of churning water that wound its way through Ponyville. She was humming some new melody as was often the case for the talented pony, but something about it sounded sweeter than normal. It was a slow and soft tune that wasn't really Scootaloo’s style, but she couldn't deny its calming nature or the peaceful vibe that flowed through her while listening.

Scootaloo took a moment to treasure the scene presented to her, the sound of the birds, one of her best friends waiting patiently for her arrival while admiring the water shimmering in the sunrise beneath her. The aging, creaking bridge and the continuing path that wound its way up through a colourful array of gardens and finally to the small cottage door. She felt her heart sink a little as some voice in the back of her head reminded her that this would be the last time she’d see Sweetie Belle like this for a very long time, if ever again. Her imagination had her friend fade away from this scene, and everything else around her seemed somehow very dull and empty. She shook the image from her head, it wasn’t worth it to waste any more of what little time they had left, she made her way down to greet her friend at a quick t at a quickened trot.

“Hey Sweetie Belle!”

“Scootaloo! You’re early, I wasn’t expecting you so soon.”

“Well it was hard to sleep anymore, guess Captain has me used to getting up before the sun.” She managed to say around a yawn.

“Maybe not completely used to it judging by the size of that yawn.” Sweetie giggled cheerfully. Scootaloo rolled her eyes in response but couldn’t hide a smile.

“Okay, maybe it’s less waking up and more being on time that she has me used to. So can you tell me what this is all about already?”

“We’re about to make our last crusade the biggest success we’ve ever had!”

“Okay, but how?”

“Music!” Sweetie cheered excitedly.

“I think you have our cutie marks confused...”

“I knew you probably wouldn't get it but just come on, I can’t explain it like Fluttershy can. Just come in and talk to her about that Sky Call thing and show her what you showed me yesterday!” Sweetie Belle trotted around to Scootaloo’s rear and began pushing her with all her might in attempt to hurry up her friend. Scootaloo didn't budge an inch and just raised an eyebrow in question as the young unicorn leaned on her flank out of breath after a minute or two.

“You’re uh.... training sure.... sure has... been working..... been working out... whew!”

Scootaloo smirked and pulled her rump away unexpectedly, leaving Sweetie Belle with a face full of bridge for her trouble. The unicorn took a moment to glare up at the pegasus before the glare and smirk melded into further bouts of smiles and the gleeful laughter of two friends.

“Fine, then.” Scootaloo grinned “Lets see what Fluttershy has got to say.”

“Yes!” Sweetie Belle shook herself off happily before bounding towards the cottage on the small hill. She was knocking on the door before Scootaloo even had a chance to walk past the front gate.

“Good morning Sweetie Belle.” A shy yellow pegasus answered the door with one of her usual smiles.

“Good morning Fluttershy! Can I ask you a biiiiig favour for today’s lesson?”

“Of course, is it a request for a favourite song?”

“Well actually I’d like to try one of Scootaloo’s and have her sit in on it with us if that’s okay?”

“Scootaloo?” It was only then Fluttershy noticed the rough and tumble pegasus beyond the unicorn at her door. “Oh umm... I suppose... uh, I mean its okay, but...well... I don’t know if the birds will play a rock ballad. Not that there’s anything wrong with rock ballads, I’m sure they’re perfectly good for most ponies, and very fun, but they might be just the tinsiest winciest bit loud?” Fluttershy winced as her voice had gotten quieter and quieter in response to Scootaloo’s surprising presence.

Memories of their talent show left Scootaloo blushing. She had hoped to bury that debacle way in the back of her mind where she could dig it out for nostalgic purposes when she was fifty and never a minute sooner. What in the world was Sweetie Belle planning? She was supposed to be out learning how to fly, not reenacting the most humiliating day of her life.

“Oh it won’t be anything like that! It’s really just a slow tempo song, I think they’ll really like it!”

“Well... I guess that’s alright then. Please come in, I’ll put out the music sheets.” Fluttershy stepped out of the doorway, and Sweetie Belle followed excitedly.

Scootaloo smiled politely, attempting to play along with whatever her friend had planned for her. She caught up quickly to Sweetie Belle while Fluttershy gathered some supplies from the other room.

“Okay, we’re in. Now what are we really doing here?”

“Umm... we’re going to write a song, duh. Did you space out or something?”

“I’m not the pony spacing out if you think some sappy, slow song is going to get these wings in the air! We’ve tried the loudest songs known to ponykind, and got nothing! What is some quiet bird song going to do to block out the storm in my head?”

“It's not supposed to block it, it’s supposed to teach you how to ride it.”

“What?”

“Do you remember the wooshing sounds you made yesterday?”

“Do I remember humiliating myself in the middle of Sugarcube Corner? Yeah, I might just remember that.”

“Well there was a pattern!”

“Oh... umm... what was a pattern? ...If you don’t mind me asking, that is.” Fluttershy interjected quietly as she finished setting up the song sheets. The birds began to gather at a polite gesture of the kindly pegasus.

“To Scootaloo’s Sky Call!” Sweetie Belle answered excitedly, leaving the pale yellow pegasus wide eyed and slack-jawed, the empty sheet music falling to the floor.

“Sk...sk.... Sky Call? Oh my gosh! That’s really exciting Scootaloo! The only pegasus I’ve ever heard of getting the Sky Call in the last decade is Rainbow Dash! I bet you’ll be a really amazing flier just like her!”

“Yeah so I heard, I’ve yet to actually see the whole good part about it. Mostly it just gives me a headache and leaves me dizzy, not exactly the best flight talent out there.”

“She hasn’t learned how to control it yet.” Sweetie Belle explained her friend’s sour opinion. “Rainbow Dash tried to teach her how to push through it like she does, but that didn’t work, so we’re looking for other ways. Remember when you told me nature has songs hidden in it? I think Scootaloo’s wind has one too! Will you help me put it together?”

“I’d be happy to!”

“Great! I’ll go write what I got so far!” With that the excitable young pony zipped into the other room, leaving Scootaloo and Fluttershy alone.

“How is a song going to help a pegasus learn how to use her wings?” Scootaloo muttered as she began to trudge slowly after her friend.

“Actually music has a lot in common with flying.” Came a quiet response from behind her.

“How? The one she’s talking about is slow and lame, flying is speed, stunts, and… and-”

“-The rhythm of the wind flowing around you? A feeling deep in your heart that guides your movements? All to the beat of your wings behind you? It's actually very much like dancing.” Scootaloo felt her jaw go slack as she was reminded she wasn’t the only pegasus in the room, and the other one was far more familiar with flying than herself. Fluttershy gave her another one of her kind smiles and continued to explain as the younger pegasus was still trying to sort out a reply.

“Rainbow Dash’s stunts are so impressive that most don’t notice her when she’s not flying fast and dangerous. If you watch her closely, when she’s simply relaxing, you can pick up the same rhythm repeated again and again, a constant slow beat she always follows.”

“Her wing rhythm... She told me about that!”

“Yes, exactly.” Fluttershy nodded, “Pegasi aren’t the only ones with it. Birds, bunnies, squirrels, trees, the seasons, water, fire, wind. Each have their own ways, patterns they follow. All of nature moves to rhythms as old as the world. And where there’s a rhythm a song isn’t far behind.”

“And Sweetie Belle’s trying to turn my Sky Call into a song? Do you think the Sky Call can teach me my wing rhythm?”

“It might. Sweetie Belle is very good with music, if she says she found a pattern...”

“Sweetie Belle! How’s it coming along in there?!” Scootaloo interrupted without waiting for a full answer, sprinting into the next room. Fluttershy giggled lightly and followed after.

Looking up from a small stack of papers, the young unicorn gave a large toothy grin. The pages were plastered with black dots scattered throughout straight lines, often with large black lines adjoining them. They weren’t very neatly done or well spaced, some dots looked scratched out, and the smudge of eraser marks could be found everywhere. She seemed proud of this mess for whatever reason.

“Great! I’ve already got this far with what you gave me yesterday, but I don’t have the full thing. I think I have the regular tempo but It feels like it isn’t fully repeating, like its still trying to hit the crescendo. Are you sure that’s all there was to it Scoot?”

“Yeah, you made me go through everything I know. What the hay is a crescendo?”

“A crescendo is a part some songs have that are louder or more intense than the rest of it. You could call it the peak or the climax of a song, what the rest was building up to. Songs normally end not long after it.” Fluttershy’s explanation didn’t help Scootaloo out much, probably because all her attention was caught by the ‘loud’ and ‘intense’ part. Her Sky Call was sounding better all the time!

“Well it certainly gets loud alright. Knocks me for a loop every time it does too!”

“Then it's probably the crescendo that throws you off! But it also means you haven’t heard the whole thing... “ Sweetie Belle tapped her chin in thought. “Can you run and get Rainbow Dash? We need to trigger it and keep it going long enough to hear how it ends! Fluttershy? Can we start training the birds to sing what I have while we wait?”

“O-okay!” Fluttershy nodded while trying to dodge Scootaloo’s mad dash for the door. After weeks of nothing, finally there was a sign of progress!

******

“Spike! Where did you put- Oh, there it is.” An old tome levitated off the nearby shelf in front of the purple unicorn. Tired eyes stared at the pages as she flipped through them. Dark rings had long formed beneath them and she was going noticeably slower through her studies. She assumed it was just because the lack of her number one assistant, but it didn’t appear to be the case. She felt sluggish and he seemed so fast, though it was more likely the case that she was simply having a hard time keeping up with him.

“Why is your instinctive reaction to blame me the moment you can’t find something?” Spike pretended to be slighted a moment before going over to check what it was she was looking at.

“Sorry Spike, I’m just flustered. I’m trying to catch up while I still have you here. Fluttershy has been a huge help, but she has a long way to go before she hits number one assistant capability. I haven’t been able to finish even one of my checklists since you started flight training. Its like every third day is the only time I can get a full day in!”

“How is that even answering my question?” The cross purple dragon put his hands on his hips momentarily before shaking his head and leaning on the pile of books beside him. “You know training days aren’t holidays from library duties. I’d like to have some time off at some point.”

“Oh come on Spike, we might finally complete the workload, it’s the first time in a month we’ve been this close!”

“Okay, fine, but I’m supposed to be using this time to look for ways to fly, you know.”

“Yes! Finally! A full productive day of work!”

The door to the library slammed open and left Twilight burying her head in her book in frustration over another interruption. An interruption that sent Spike rushing to the door with unabashed joy.

“Good morning~!” came the unmistakable, sing-song, classy and cheerful greeting of the object of his affections. This perked Twilight’s ears up as well, and she looked up to smile at the unexpected visitor.

“Rarity! I thought you weren’t coming home until the evening train!” Spike opened his arms wide looking for a hug only to suddenly find himself buried under a large pile of luggage.

“That was the original idea, yes. Be a dear and get that for me would you Spikey Wikey? I’m afraid I had to hasten my plans somewhat after an impromptu discussion with our beloved Princess. She insisted that I not wait a second more than necessary.”

“Princess Celestia?” Thoughts began whirling through her head at dizzying speeds interrupting the friendly greeting which was laying on the tip of Twilight’s tongue. “What did she say?”

“Quite a lot actually and much of it relating to you, could you and I have a word alone Twilight?” The blue eyed unicorn glanced towards the newly burdened dragon as he attempted to gather her things in a single pile that swayed precariously over his head. Still in spite of the load, he held it with some manner of talent, a veteran of such comical situations, he even managed to catch Rarity’s request, and Twilight’s apologetic look in his direction.

“Hey, no problem, I’ll just start making my way over to the Boutique with this. You two have all the time you need.” His tail reached out to snag the last of the luggage and he made his way outside while performing his balancing act with a great deal of well-practiced maneuvers that had him easily pull the items through the small library door.

“It always amazes me how well a job you did with him Twilight, he really is the perfect little gentle drake.”

“Not so little anymore.” Twilight laughed lightly. “Now if only I could get him to behave half as well when you’re not around.”

“Yes, I suppose so...”

Twilight held back a secretive smile as she caught Rarity staring silently at the door after her assistant had already left. She patiently allowed whatever train of thought had entranced her friend to continue its track until she could no longer stand it.

“About the princess?” She prodded. Messages from the Princess could only wait so long after all, especially messages to her from the princess. She was still trying to sort out the reason why it wasn’t sent through dragon flame as it usually was.

“Yes, of course.” Rarity seemed to collect herself quickly turning back to Twilight. “Forgive me, I have had much on my mind as of late. Here, Princess Celestia wished for me to deliver this personally, and asked if I would answer any questions you have.”

An envelope sealed with the royal crest floated its way over to the anxious student of magic. It was quickly ripped open and discarded, its secret contents procured and scrutinized. She skimmed through the familiar flowing script quickly, but couldn’t quite grasp its meaning. She read it once again, slowly and carefully picking through each word with some amount of uncertainty, thinking of any possible synonyms for the words littered throughout the letter. She finally looked up at Rarity quizzically, not at all sure of what she just read, wondering if she had indeed gotten it right.

“Forbidden from further studies?”

The tone held so much doubt, such hope that there was a mistake somewhere she'd missed that Rarity felt heartbroken for her as her pleading eyes asked her to say the letter meant anything else but what she had garnered for herself. She fought off a sigh. It was going to be difficult but it had to be done for Twilight’s own good. She steeled herself inwardly and outwardly never let her friendly smile dip for a moment.

“That seems to be the case, yes.”

“B-but... why?!” The question was asked out of shock of course, the explanation was already given in the letter. Rarity answered anyway, sometimes it was better to hear it directly from a friend.

“Because... because I asked her to.”

“You did?!”

“Why... yes.” Rarity tried to stand a bit more firm. “Yes I did, I was forced to out of concern for your health, and Princess Celestia was concerned as well. Most of all you have Spike beside himself. Did you know he wrote to me about how worried he was for you?”

“He... what?”

“He wrote to me, and I showed the letter to Princess Celestia. Spike knows you better than anypony else and I trust him when it concerns you. Now that I see you darling, I know I did the right thing. Look at you, you’re exhausted! Oh darling, what have you done to yourself?”

“Is that what all this is about? I’m fine! Really! Better than I have been in weeks in fact. Fluttershy has been a tremendous help and today it’s even better because I have Spike with me too! This is outrageous! My one day a week I have a chance to catch up with everything and now I can’t? Well I’ll just have to write her back and say this whole thing has been overly exaggerated.”

“Twilight, you are not fine. When was the last day off you took?”

“That’s not a fair question and you know it! I hardly ever take time off. For that matter when was the last day you took off?”

“Alright,” Rarity coughed, noting she had a point, “When was the last time you actually remember putting yourself to bed then?”

Twilight made to answer quickly that she had done so last night, but then had to pause. Normally when she quoted from memory an image of what she was quoting would come up, but the last thing she could recall about the previous night was staring at ‘Enchanting the Wheel’. A book about implementing magic on common tools and items. She was reading the fifth chapter, but she didn't remember finishing it. When she woke up this morning she was in bed and her books were put away neatly as only she would do. Well her and possibly-

“Spike?” She asked hesitantly staring up at Rarity who nodded.

“That’s right. He told me he’s found you asleep in your books most nights, and even on the stairwell now and again. He tucks you in, cleans up after you, gets what he can done of your checklists, and settles in himself for the next day. Poor Spikey Wikey looks half as tired as you do, perhaps if you weren't so overworked you could see it too.”

“Spike isn't tired, that’s just how he looks this early in the morning. He’s just a heavy sleeper. I’m actually having a hard time keeping up to his pace.”

“I’m sure you must in that state. Twilight, I’m sorry, but I can’t consider myself your good friend and still allow you to work with Applejack while continuing your magic studies. If you insist on keeping up with the studies, I’ll just have to find somepony else to help her.”

“Rarity, your gem idea is economically the best course of action I've come across, and only you and I can locate the gems efficiently enough to make it of any use. With you in Canterlot, I’m the best pony for the job and you know it!”

“But you’re hurting yourself Twilight! I know you’re probably very upset with me, I would be too. I've gone around your back and spoke with your employer without your consent, but I only have the best interests of everypony in mind.”

“You went around my back...” Twilight repeated the words to herself as a memory played back, a memory from not so long ago. It danced just out of reach.

“And spoke with your employer. Yes, I know, and I feel just awful about it. Maybe I shouldn't have interfered after all, but you just mean so much to me I cannot let things stand the way they are.”

“Without my consent!” Twilight reared up in cheer as she finished the sentence, the memory finally taking hold. She really was tired, this should have been instantly obvious. It was actually so obvious she couldn't stop herself from laughing, and the books that surrounded her study table closed on their own before they all began to criss cross the room, taking their place neatly on the library shelves.

Rarity, for her part, just stared at her friend as if she just snapped. This was some of the worst news she could ever think of delivering to Twilight Sparkle, and here she was laughing about it! She had the entire conversation planned out to this point but just how do you continue from here?

“Have... have I missed something?”

“No Rarity, you haven’t missed a thing, thank you. I was missing something, and now I remember, that’s all. You did to me exactly what I did to Rainbow Dash when all of this first started! I got her suspended by going to her boss around her back, and now, well I’m suspended too. I still don’t believe I was wrong, thunderstorms are a lot more dangerous than rainstorms. And really, an exhausted magic expert is even more dangerous than thunderstorms. I was even getting in Spike’s way after I promised I wouldn't.”

“Yes well...” She couldn't believe her ears, she would have been livid if somepony had done the same to her. It seemed so much easier than she thought it would be, but then Twilight was a pony of logic. Maybe she should have expected as much from her.

“Oh yes, speaking of Spike, the Princess had some ideas on how to help his stunted progress in flight training, I’ll need to borrow him during my week here if it’s possible.”

“I don’t see why not, he works out with Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo in the mornings most days though, after that he should be free. What did she have in mind? Did she teach you a spell to help?! Because I've looked into every book I have and I couldn't find anything.”

“No, nothing magical in nature dear. She suggested he try practicing his swimming.”

Twilight blinked for a few moments as she considered this before a knowing smile crept its way over her face.

“Of course! That’s brilliant! If he can get used to keeping his tail up and use it to push him along in water, then he should, theoretically, be able to use the same technique while flying! Oh but... who could possibly teach him how to use his tail in water? There isn't anypony that could anywhere in Ponyville.”

“Why, isn't it obvious darling? Large serpent, has sharp, purple scales, fantastic sense of style, fretful over a moustache, and a very apt swimmer I should say. You met him on the same day you met all of us Twilight.”

“You don’t mean...”

Rarity smiled and nodded.

“But Rarity!”

“Oh come now, he wouldn't harm me, and I dare say he’ll be quite amiable to my request.”

“Okay sure, maybe. Except he lives in a river in the EVERFREE FOREST! You can’t bring Spike into the Everfree! It's too dangerous!”

“Nonsense Twilight! I’m sure we’ll be perfectly fine. You go quite often to visit Zecora after all, we’ll just be careful about it.”

“Yeah, and I got petrified solid by a cockatrice. That’s not even mentioning the dangerous terrain, the timberwolves, and the Manticores along the way! If you’re going in there, then I’m coming too.”

“Absolutely not! I didn't go through all the trouble of delivering you that letter so you could trade one workload for another. It simply won’t do, Spike and I will be fine.”

“ I don’t mean to insult you Rarity, but you can’t fend off the creatures in there and look after Spike too, at least take Fluttershy.”

“Look after Spike? I was expecting him to look after me.”

“What? Rarity, Spike does a fantastic job as my assistant, but that isn’t the same as being able to traverse the Everfree Forest! He’s never done anything so dangerous!”

“Aside from facing down Discord and taking on King Sombra’s fortress you mean? And he’s grown more capable than you give him credit for. Princess Celestia was very insistent about reminding me of that very thing. Spike isn’t just your friend that you've known since he was a tiny hatchling, he’s a growing dragon! A strong, fire breathing creature with nearly impenetrable scales.”

Images flashed through Twilight’s mind, a broken bathtub with not a scale scratched to show for it, split second reactions that caught falling books before they hit the floor, and a fearless stunt pony left pale as she came down the stairs after conversing with him one night. She remembered a brave, baby dragon charging to a friend’s rescue, and a wise, baby dragon fleeing from the danger three teenage dragons could pose to his friends. She also pictured him as he was now, grown and strong, knowledgeable, and loyal. Maybe he really was no longer the reckless, little troublemaker she once knew.

“I suppose you’re right, the creatures in the Everfree Forest probably have more to fear from him then he has from them, but I don’t think he knows that. That still makes it dangerous Rarity.”

“We will be careful Twilight, you have my word. It does need to be done however. I’m sure he’s doing everything he can to learn how to fly, we should be doing everything we can to encourage him. I wouldn’t be able to look myself in the mirror if I let him down when I could have helped, especially after all he's done to help us when we needed him.” She gazed into a nearby mirror, flipping her hair over her shoulders and taking a moment to admire her curls.

“I suppose that’s true.” Twilight sighed before looking up with a small smile, chuckling lightly. “When did you get so much smarter than me? I thought I was supposed to be the egghead of Ponyville.”

“I’m sure I still don’t compare, Darling, but I believe conversations with the Princess might have the side effect of an increase of common sense for a time. I know you certainly seemed to have more than a fair share of it when you first came here. One discussion later and I feel years wiser myself.”

Twilight smiled in agreement. if anypony had that effect, it would be her mentor.

“Well with you taking Spike on me, being suspended from my studies, the library already cleaned up, and the gems won’t be collected until this evening... I don’t have anything to do.”

“Might I suggest, sleep?” Rarity gave her a flat look.

“Oh, right... Yeah I guess I could probably do that.” Twilight gave her a weak, sheepish smile. The thought hadn't even crossed her mind.

“Yes, you probably could. I’ll go let Spike know of my intentions for the week. I do hope he’ll be agreeable to this whole thing, I do hate to assume.”

“You’ll be there?”

“Of course! It is my idea after all. I could hardly send him to meet a sea serpent by himself.”

“Then he’ll be agreeable.” Twilight hid another smile trying not to notice her friend’s blush and headed towards the stairs, “Alright I’m going to head to bed then. Take some parchment along at least? So he can send me a message if there's an emergency?”

“Certainly. Sleep well, Twilight.” Rarity waved as her friend departed, and she turned to leave the library. She couldn't help but feel like she was being teased far too often as of late when it came to Spike. Pausing for a few minutes was a must in order to let the burning die down in her cheeks before she before she could leave. Really now, the entirety of her talk with Celestia had her behaving like a shy, little school filly, and she did not like it. She was supposed to leave others blushing, not the other way around.

The young dragon’s little crush would all come to a front one day, she was well aware. After her talk with his guardian, that day felt nearer now somehow, but he didn't know that. Twilight didn't either so she was making the attempt to keep it hidden for the time being. Everypony had enough on their minds without having that particular cloud hanging over them right now, including herself. Especially herself.

Finally heading out into the street towards her old home, she stopped as she spotted the unmistakable bipedal, purple monster already heading back to his abode. It was surprising that he hadn't stayed at her place to wait for her, but then he thought he’d be working with Twilight for the rest of the day too. The dear was heading back all set to continue his assistance in her studies. Hidden in the crowd on the street, she watched him pause momentarily, stretching and yawning loudly, his tail twitching behind him.

The ponies around him gave a wide girth to this swishing appendage, but smiled in greeting, and a fit of giggles erupted behind him. He wore a surprised look for a moment then arched an eyebrow as as he raised his tail. It was being clutched by several foals who smiled mischievously at him. She didn't recognize any of them. Now that her sister was getting older she didn't pay as much attention to the foals around the town anymore. She began to wonder if she had already started losing touch with her old home.

He appeared to know them however, he smiled back, letting out a playful growl as he dropped down to all fours and moved chase after them. They screeched and bolted, and he snorted a fume of smoke behind them but gave no pursuit. After a chuckle, he picked himself up and dusted himself off, quickly stepping away out of view of the foals.

“Spikey Wike~y!” Rarity called him over with a small wave. “Over here!”

His cheek frills perked up at the sound of her voice, and he glanced quickly around scanning the crowd for its source. She was treated her to a wide, toothy grin when he managed to pick her out, and he quickly slipped through the crowd to meet her
.

“Hey Rarity, done with Twilight already?”

“Yes, she’s decided to get some rest. Something it looks like you could use as well.”

“Tell me about it, I thought working with Twilight was rough. Rainbow Dash puts her to shame!”

“Oh dear, that might be trouble. Well, if you’re so tired, I suppose what I had planned wouldn't interest you then.”

“No! I’m interested!” Protesting far too quickly before catching himself, he turned away in attempt to seem more aloof and composed, but it did nothing to hide the gleam of excitement in his eyes at the prospect of spending time with her. “I mean... well I’m only a little tired, I’m sure it wouldn't be a problem. Why? What’s up?”

“It's just that Princess Celestia came up with an idea to help your flight training, Darling, but it involves the Everfree Forest, and I’m afraid it will be much too dangerous for us to just go in there alone if you’re too tired.” His reaction was not lost on her, and she instantly felt better. Sending him into his usual excited and blushing self that she was used to was far more familiar territory. A welcome semblance of normality after her weeks away from it.

“The Everfree Forest?! Really? You actually want to take me?”

“It certainly wouldn't do me very well to go all that way for flight training by myself Spike. Lack of wings, you understand.” Rarity smiled, the dragon seemed very awake suddenly. She had a feeling presenting an adventure might have that effect on him. A stallion was still a stallion no matter the species.

“That sounds awesome! And you won’t have to worry about a thing, any of those Everfree monsters come anywhere near us, and I’ll scare them all off! You can count on me!”

“My hero.” She smiled and pecked him on the cheek briefly before walking past towards the outskirts of town. “I know you will. Now, come along we've only half the day left, that might only leave us with barely enough time introduce you to him before heading back if we dawdle. Heroic escort or not I would rather be well away from the forest before the sun goes down. Spike Are you listening to me? Oh Spike, stop standing there staring into space, we have to go!”

******

“Seriously? You think this’ll work?”

“Pleeeeeeeaase Captain? It’s hard to explain, but it also feels like it makes sense!” Scootaloo pleaded with her idol in the middle of Sugarcube Corner, uncaring of the crowd around her. Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon sat snickering at the scene from a booth to the side, Scootaloo could hear their quiet jeers, and could feel the gaze as every pony in the pastry shop turned to watch. She ignored them all, this was way more important than any of them or what they thought of her. The brief explanation of the morning events to her Team Captain seemed to catch their attention, but more importantly it seemed to catch Rainbow Dash’s. Her Captain scratched her head in thought.

“I suppose it could work, but if you can figure it out through music why are you here?”

“I need to be in the air on my own long enough to hear it all, and you’re the only pony I know that can keep me flying long enough!”

“I don’t know Squirt, I already taught you everything I know about staying sky bound. I think you’re going to need some extra oomph to get you to stay up there as long as you need.”

“But you’re the best flier in all of Equestria! If you can’t help me fly, nopony can...” Scootaloo stared down at her hooves, thinking back on everything they’d done so far to overcome this wall in her way. She was so close to the answer she could feel it! There had to be a way!

“Exactly. You’re talking to a pony that lives in the sky, and that’s the problem. You think you’re looking for another flight lesson, but you aren't. You’re actually just looking for anything that can keep you up there on your own. You should be asking an earthbound pony that can achieve flight.”

“Earth ponies can’t fly. Its way too dangerous, they’d have to be crazy to even try!”

“Not crazy.” Rainbow Dash corrected smugly, “Just completely random. Hey Pinkie! can I get your hoof with something?”



An hour later saw a small group of friends gathered around an incredibly large fan mounted firmly into the ground not far away from Fluttershy’s cottage. A small stepping platform stood beside it, allowing easy access to the top of the strange machine. Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash now stood over it on the platform, as their friends stood below giving Pinkie’s intimidating contraption plenty of room. They all looked on as the pink party pony finished setting it all up.

“Are you sure about this?” Sweetie Belle moved over and poked the fan cautiously.

“Of course I am! Compared to what I've been through already, this is nothing!” The determined young pegasus answered as she lined up a plank of wood above the strange machine. “All set up here Pinkie Pie!”

“Oki Doki Loki!” Pinkie Pie answered before flicking a small switch. The fan started with a hum and then slowly the three metal blades inside the metal cage began to turn. Scootaloo’s mouth became drier and drier as the blades spun faster and faster until a pony had to shout to be heard over the racket of the fan and the blast of wind it created. She gulped a little as she looked down into the whirling device of death. Maybe standing over a rotary of sharp, metal objects whipping by at an insane velocity wasn't as nothing as she just claimed...

“Why do you even have that thing?!” Rainbow Dash shouted to Pinkie over the noise, while covering her nose and mouth with her foreleg, squinting at the machine through the dust it kicked up.

“Skydiving practice!” Pinkie shouted back in reply, leaving her friend with more questions than answers, as often was the case when it came to the enigmatic pony. She decided to stick to one that pertained to the situation at hoof.

“What happens now?”

“She has to jump on top of it!” Pinkie flapped her arms as hard as she could to display what she meant. Scootaloo watched the flailing gesture and even though she wasn't sure what she said, the puzzle clicked. She grimaced and took a step back at the sight. Standing above her grisly death was one thing, jumping over it was something else entirely! Suicide wasn't what she had in mind when this plan took form! She was about to turn around and go back when she felt a hoof on her shoulder.

There stood her Team Captain, tall and proud. A pair of flight goggles atop her forehead, which she pulled down as she stared into the intimidating force of wind over the fan. She didn't say anything to Scootaloo, but she did hold out a hoof to her which held a smaller pair of the same type of flight goggles. Scootaloo stared at the protective eye wear, then at the fan, and then back at Rainbow Dash. Their manes flapping, tangling back in the blasting wind, her Captain smiled as Scootaloo took them hesitantly from her hoof, put them on, tying them tight against her forehead.

“Follow me.” Scootaloo couldn't hear it over the fan, but the words on the lips of her mentor were unmistakable as she turned to face the fan. Dash spread her wings and WOOOSH! She was high in the air! Pinkie Pie and Sweetie Belle were cheering her mentor on, staring at her as she continued to float upon the wind. Fluttershy had her head in the grass and her hooves over her eyes, if she said anything nopony ever heard.

The young pegasus glared at the fan now, her Captain proved it was able to be done and it was time to step up to the plate.

“Put up or shut up Scootaloo. Are you chicken or are you pony?” She asked herself before pulling the safety goggles down. She already knew the answer. Backing up before taking a running sprint, She strained her wings to keep them open as wide as she could. Before she was even able to jump she was pushed off into the air! She shot past Rainbow Dash and began her usual flailing, but this time she wasn't falling, the wind alone was enough to hold her up!

Rainbow Dash gained the height easily to catch up to her protege. She wheeled around so that they were facing each other, and grabbed the gasping pegasus by the chin.

“Look at me! Keep your eyes on mine! Whatever you do, just keep watching me!”

Scootaloo’s eyes had closed on their own, but having your face yanked down tends to focus them on whatever did it. She stared into the pink hue of her Captain’s eyes, hidden slightly by the glint on her goggles, unable to look anywhere else. She couldn't make out her words over the wind, but the simple act of holding her head steady seemed to straighten out the rest of the young pegasus naturally. She stopped flailing, with her wings leveled and spread, the wind lifted her further into the sky and Rainbow Dash climbed with her, easily keeping pace.

“That’s perfect! Keep your wings even just like that!” Her Captain’s voice was beginning to rise above the clamour.

“I’m doing it!” Scootaloo shouted back, her eyes watering as she floated on the wind, “I’m really doing it!”

“You sure are Squirt! I knew you could! Now lets do what we came up here to do! Listen up!”

Scootaloo stared at Rainbow Dash, waiting for her to continue.

“Can you hear it?”

“Can I hear what? You didn't say anything!”

“Not to me, to yourself! You came up here to hear the rest of that song of yours, so finish it!”

“Oh! Right! Hang on!” She tried to hear the storm in her head past the wind outside. It was surprisingly easy to block out the blasting wind of the fan, because this... This was so much closer to her. But there was no song there, no discernible sound in the storm that reigned supreme in her ears. She clenched her eyes shut as she tried to listen harder, to concentrate on what went on within her, to shut out the outside distractions. Just the same slow wind gusts as before, and then the loud thunderous roar and all sense of balance flew away. Her head jerked unexpectedly away from Rainbow Dash’s hooves and the flailing redoubled, pushing Scootaloo towards the edge of the wind blast.

“Aaaah! Aaaaagh! Aaaaaaaagh!” The vertigo, noise, and fear took over and any semblance of control slipped from her. She felt herself leaning towards the edge of the wind blast keeping her afloat, and her limbs just reacted by themselves as she tried to get herself away from it. With no chance at keeping herself steady, she felt the panic crashing against the edge of her mind! That’s when she felt her front hooves strain against the feeling of encroaching doom, before being pulled back into the center of the blast of wind. A tiny whisper managed to pierce the storm in her head.

“Oepn yuor eeys!”

That didn't sound right, she strained her ears to try to pick it out again.

“Scootaloo, open your eyes!” That time she heard clearly, her eyes snapped open to meet that familiar pink hue again, still obscured by goggles.

“Your eyes on mine! Own this wind Scoot, you already did it once, do it again! Those wings are yours, you control them not the other way around! Eyes on me fledgling! Eyes on me!”

Scootaloo did as told, her eyes on Dash’s. She swallowed back the bile she felt at the back of her throat, trying to push its way out. The dizzy spell threatening her control slowly pushed back as her eyes steadied, trained on a singular point. Flailing turned back into controlled movements moment after long moment.

“That’s it, that’s it. Stay calm, keep your wings even. Listen up, that storm is going to come around again. This time keep your eyes open and on mine. Look at me, remember, I won’t let you down!”

“Y-yes! Yes Captain!”

“Good, keep your ears and eyes open! Listen to that wind right to the end! You got this! I want to hear you say it, you hear me? Say it!”

“I got this! I got this! I got this!” Scootaloo repeated the words to herself and held on as she felt the storm begin to come back around, staring her Captain straight in the eye as Sweetie Belle’s voice strayed by as a passing thought.

“...I think I have the tempo but It feels like it isn't fully repeating, like its still trying to hit the crescendo.”

If Scootaloo’s eyes could have widened any more they would have.

“Captain! The tempo! I can’t tell the song from the storm without it, I need to know the tempo!”

“What in the hay are you talking about?!”

“The tempo! Sweetie Belle knows the tempo! I need to know it too! Its the key to figuring this out!”

“How do we get it from here?!”

“You have to let me go! You have to get it from them and bring it back up Captain!”

“I’m not leaving you up here alone!”

“Just be fast! I've got a few minutes until the crescendo!”

“The what?”

“The crescendo! Captain, you gotta trust me!” Scootaloo pulled her hooves away from Rainbow Dash’s and began balancing herself on the wind. “Like you said! I got this! Just not for long...”

Rainbow Dash watched her trembling student take her own reigns, still a bit wobbly in her balance, but managing to hold steady and stay level. She turned towards the others, they weren't far below and she didn't have time to think about it. With a single glance back at the struggling young pegasus, Rainbow dashed to the others. Scootaloo watched her go, growing only more determined to stay steady after she left. She strained to keep her eyes open, and her eyes trained on a single spot. She tried to ignore her peripheral vision where Rainbow Dash touched down with their friends below, tried to ignore that she was alone up here with the wind rushing in her ears, and a deafening thunder on its way. She tried to ignore the steel blades spinning directly beneath her. Instead she continued to chant.

“I got this. I got this. I got this.”

She swallowed, a cold sweat soaked her fur. There was a lot she had to ignore, and she wasn't sure reminding herself what she had to ignore was helping any. So she concentrated on staring at the bird houses attached to Fluttershy’s chimney. It was an odd place for bird houses.

“I got this. I got this. I got this.” The phrase continued to flow from her lips.

What happens if Fluttershy wants a fire? Maybe she invites them inside first-EYES!

Those pink pair of eyes suddenly invaded her vision once more sending her reeling off in fright towards the side again, and again she was pulled back by her mentor’s hooves.

“Hang on Squirt, its just me!”

“Captain!” Scootaloo cheered, “You’re back! Quick, what’s the beat?”

“I don’t know the beat, I thought you wanted the tempo!” Rainbow Dash shouted back over the wind sounding exasperated.

“The tempo is the beat.” Another voice on the wind caught Scootaloo by surprise. Fluttershy was hovering with her them, and Scootaloo half wondered how it was even possible to hear the shy pegasus over the wind.

“Oh! Why didn't you say so?”

“I did.” Fluttershy frowned before turning to Scootaloo. “Sweetie Belle says its mostly just three quarter notes repeated. Its very simple, like a dance class. Just count out to yourself, one-two-three, one-two-three, one-two-three. Just like that, over and over.”

“Okay! I’ll try!” Scootaloo took a deep breath, and began counting quietly to herself, as Fluttershy counted with her.

“Lame!”

Fluttershy and Scootaloo stopped and looked at Rainbow Dash who was doing a back float on the wind blast, her arms behind her head, looking bored.

“I mean, its fine, If you want to be lame. Don’t let me stop you. Hey whatever works for you, right?”

“Well what wouldn't be lame?!” Now? Her idol was going to taunt her right now of all times?!

“Already said didn't I? You were saying it before, it kept you hovering solo too. Same number of beats, one-two-three, I-got-this. Same thing, only cooler.”

Scootaloo blinked at her hero. She was right, instinctively Rainbow Dash had given her the same beat and it helped her keep upright the whole time! If there was ever a shadow of doubt in her teacher/Captain/idol/mentor it vanished completely then and there.

“You got this, you got this, you got this.” Rainbow Dash flipped back over and offered her hooves to the young pegasus once more, repeating the words without permission. Fluttershy smiled, and joined in the chat, keeping to the same beat. Scootaloo smiled widely, took Rainbow Dash’s offered hooves and once more tried to listen to the windstorm within.

As they repeated the words over and over to her, she began to see the pattern Sweetie belle had been talking about. It really was there! Knowing what to look for made it as obvious as a black dot on a white page. And then came the thunder! This was it! The crescendo, the rumble got louder, the gusts of wind seemed stronger, the rush felt like it would overwhelm her, but underneath it all... there the beat continued. Three simple quarter notes.

“I got this, I got this, I got this.” It flowed beneath the storm, no in the middle of it. A calm constant in the center of the hurricane that echoed in her skull. The eye of this strange and malevolent storm. She opened her eyes, just now realizing she had closed them again. Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy were smiling. Her Captain had let go again. Scootaloo had stayed steady on her own during the whole crescendo! During the roughest part of her storm! She wasn't wobbling in the air like before, there was no fear, though, certainly a lot of surprise. The panic was retreating, and she looked around in the sky for her first time, that’s when Scootaloo noticed.

She was flapping her wings. Rhythmically, perfectly, to each quarter beat. She gasped and leaped forwards, gathering Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash in a tight hug. Below she could hear cheering, and she waved to a Sweetie Belle and Pinkie Pie who looked about ready to flip out.

“Well done Squirt. Fluttershy, could you ask Pinkie how we get down from here?”

“Okay.” The yellow pegasus nodded before turning and heading down to the others. She felt Scootaloo put a hoof on her shoulder, stopping her.

“I have a better idea, why don’t I go down and ask her myself?” She tilted her body, keeping it steady, subconsciously using the many lessons on the zip line and her landing practice. Fluttershy made to rush after her but found herself once again held back, this time Rainbow Dash was biting her lip, holding her foreleg, and watching the scene gleefully. Scootaloo’s body turned, and her wings pushed off the strong current that had been holding the trio up, and she began circling slowly down, landing softly on the grass.

A quarter beat later she was tackled into a rolling hug by a wild Sweetie Belle.

“You did it! You did it! You did it! You flew Scoot! You flew! Your wings were flapping, and you were up there, and you circled down, and then you landed!”

Scootaloo laughed and hugged her friend back.

“Thanks for the play by play.”

“You really did it Scootaloo,” Sweetie Belle sniffed, repeating it to herself. Scootaloo looked down to see her friend so happy she was in tears. “You finished a crusader quest, all on your own!”

“I wasn't on my own. Not even once.” She felt wetness on her own cheeks as she held her friend close, this young unicorn weeping happily into her shoulder. “And I’ll never be able to thank you enough.”

******

Pathetic. The word circled around in Spike’s head. It was a continuous cycle, analytically listing in every single way the word described his current situation. His arms clutched the tail of the lengthy sea serpent with everything he had just to keep his head above the waves. His wings were spread as far as they could go, up and down they struggled, pushing the water below him to keep him afloat, he swung his tail behind him, side to side, up and down, this way and that, just as he was told to do. Was he doing it right? Maybe, but if he was the serpent certainly wasn't telling him so, or offering much in the way of advice whatsoever. The large creature probably barely remembered Spike even existed, as it was completely entranced with its conversation about the latest Canterlot fashions with Rarity back on the beach.

This whole trip was a bust. Never one to specifically search out fights or anything, he admitted to being keen on the idea of entering the Everfree Forest, but absolutely nothing exciting had happened at all. Everything went absolutely perfect! The trip wasn't just dull either, it was boring and tiresome. With all the stories of every pony that dared to embark upon the forest paths, with his memories of his time running away and dodging dragons and hydras, he expected something dangerous to rear its ugly head in their direction. He hoped he would have the chance to show Rarity his tough and mature side, even if only a little. He could take on some evil creature bent on their destruction, earn the heart of the fair lady at his side, brave the dangers of the terrain, and all of that heroic stuff he read about in his favoured fictional tales.

Nothing unusual happened at all, though. The tense awareness he was entranced with along the whole walk here had only stress and a sore neck as its reward. Worst yet he had barely said a word to Rarity who had attempted many times to converse as they traversed. He would respond with quiet monosyllabic answers, worried every word had a chance to bring down the monsters that inhabited these wild woodlands. And then they arrived at the river without any sort of issue whatsoever.

You would think that meeting a great beast of the sea would leave you with an awe-inspiring sense of adventure at least, but that didn't play out the way his mind thought it would either. No booming deep voice with dangerous intent dripping off every word, no display of violent power and dominance, no tidal wave of fury at a stranger treading into his domain. Instead Rarity was instantly recognized, swept off her feet, and hugged like the meeting of old friends who hadn't seen each other in years. He didn't even notice Spike standing there watching the two nuzzle each other before the thing set her back down on the river shore.

Even introductions were as they ever were with anypony else. The large beast bowed low as he shook Spike’s hand and presented himself as Aqua Shallows. Rarity mentioned Spike’s problem and the thought Princess Celestia had in fixing it. Three hours later had Spike hanging on to Mr. Shallow’s tail, swaying in the river water like a foal being held up by their parents as they learned to kick their feet in the shallow end of a pool. Spike had went from bodyguard and guardian through a wild and dangerous forest to feeling like a little colt in front of Rarity of all ponies.

He wasn't sure if it was a mercy or not that she hadn't looked his way anymore than Mr. Shallows had. She had set herself up on her beach chair, drinking some refreshment he couldn't make out as she relaxed beneath the shade of her colourful umbrella. Large dark sunglasses rested on her muzzle as she talked and laughed with the purple serpent.

Suddenly he felt water unexpectedly slide down his throat, coughing and sputtering in surprise, he began frantically swinging his tail through the water faster than before, realizing only then he’d been staring and forgetting his purpose out there.

“Heavens! Are you alright?” The large tail Spike was gripping heaved slowly out of the river, taking the young dragon with it as the great serpent turned to inspect him. He cupped his hands and laid the dragon in them before setting him back on the shoreline. “I’m dreadfully sorry, you were doing so well I’d forgotten you were there! There now, take a break, you've certainly earned it.”

Spike lay flat on his stomach, still coughing a little, and glad for the rest. He looked back at his tail, watching it twitch and spasm in short uncontrollable fits. The muscle strain flowed all the way up and into his back. His wings were mostly fine, so all his flight training with Rainbow Dash must have been doing something right. The point was to get the tail and wings to move in conjunction, but he wasn't used to using his tail for anything other than heavy lifting. In the water he was using it to steer himself horizontally while his wings controlled the vertical, and it was anything but easy. He wasn't used to using it for such long periods at a time, and his tail muscles were protesting how much work they were being given lately in their own agonizing way.

“Oh Spike, you poor thing, you’re just exhausted!” Rarity lifted her sunglasses up for the first time since they arrived. “You should have said something sooner!”

“Its alright, really! Dash pushed us a lot harder than this, I’ll be fine in an hour.”

“Spike, it will be dark in an hour!”

“What?”

“Oh dear, did you have a dinner party planned tonight? I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if I made you late for a previous engagement! How selfish of me, I was just enjoying your company so much I lost track of time.” A dramatic sense of distraught overtook Aquas at very the idea of accidentally contributing to the social faux pas.

“Nonsense Darling, don’t upset yourself, it was my fault for not keeping an eye on the sun. You were just so engaging that I couldn't help but overstay, but now I fear we’ll be caught in such a dangerous forest at night!”

“Dangerous? This place? Whatever do you mean?”

“For a big, handsome, and powerful sea serpent the Everfree Forest isn't a trifle I’m sure, but for a pony, I doubt I would be more than a passing snack!”

Aqua Shallows took a moment to look to Rarity, and to Spike, and then back to Rarity.

“I’m not sure I understand. Last time you passed by, ever fortunate it was for me, I was certain it was past all hours of daylight. With nothing but ponies, this time you have a dragon by your side, a young one certainly, but no less a dragon.”

“A very tired dragon.” Rarity corrected.

“And still a dragon...” He suddenly brought both hands to his cheeks and gasped, “Don’t tell me you don’t know!”

Rarity arched an eyebrow and gave a questioning glance to Spike who shrugged in reply and shook his head. Neither knew what he was getting at.

The exchange wasn’t lost on Aqua Shallows.

“I can understand you not being able to teach him how to use his tail, but how little do ponies know about dragonkind?”

“Couldn’t fill a postcard.” Spike snorted ruefully, still a bit out of breath, and reminded all too well of the late night research session throughout their library. Twilight, one of the most knowledgeable ponies in Equestria, had to consult the zebra in these woods just to understand how 'growing' worked.

“I see... Well I can assure you that you’ll probably have nothing to fear from the creatures here. However if you’re still worried I know the most lovely little grotto you could use overnight.”

“Overnight? In the Everfree?” Rarity repeated aghast.

“Perhaps less dangerous than attempting to navigate it in the dark. Please, I have to insist! It really is the least I can do, and I haven’t had company in so long!”

Rarity frowned, not at all convinced that either idea was more safe than the other, but then Spike was tired before they even came out. He probably had been slipping in and out of different states of exhaustion for weeks now. Perhaps a dragon with some sleep behind him would be better for them both than one without.

“Well, I guess we’ll have to take you up on your offer.”

“Are you sure Rarity?” Spike tilted his head up at Rarity after hearing her decision, “We have the parchment, we can just ask Twilight to send for help.”

“We’ll let her know where we are, Spike. However, Aqua is right, alone in the dark we may just wind up lost if we try to get back, and Twilight wouldn't even know where we went off to. We’re better off right where we are.”

“Wonderful! I’ll show you where you both can stay the night and you can make yourselves comfortable while I gather dinner for us all.”

“There’s really no need for all the trouble.”

“Not at all, it would be my pleasure!” The serpent bowed low before slipping back into the river, “Please, follow me.”

“Such a gracious host.” A genuine smile played upon Rarity’s lips as she followed. It was such a surprise to meet him during their desperate trip through these woods so long ago, and so encouraging besides. How many years had she served the public of the small town of Ponyville, worried that there would be no pony that truly appreciated the beauty of her designs and aesthetics? Meeting the self styled serpent that long night years ago renewed her faith in her craft. If a kindred spirit could be found even in the depths of the most wild and dangerous forest known to ponykind, there would always be somepony somewhere that could find the beauty in her craft. It was an inspiration, really.

The best part about it is that he truly does have such wonderful taste. She thought to herself absently as she happily trotted after him. She was actually somewhat excited to see what he would consider a ‘lovely grotto’ and she would not be disappointed.

“Wow...” The word dropped from Spike’s tongue as he fell to speechlessness, and she could think of no more suitable description for the sight her eyes fell upon.

They had been lead to the most picturesque waterfall she’d ever seen, quite a feat considering the many lakes and rivers that surrounded the little town where she’d grown up. It wasn't a large, majestic thing that would leave a pony in awe by shear natural size, instead it was a multitude of thin sheets of water babbling lightly into the river trailing away below, forming a semicircle of cool sky blue and white water that flowed hastily into a bouncing fall, scattering amidst the natural rock formations, covered by well kept and pruned vines that weaved up the rock wall that supported the falls. Green filled branches hung over the pool of water, leaving trails of lightly dropped leaves floating and sailing away on the the river surface.

“Oh my! It’s so beautiful!”

“Oh, I knooow!” Aqua squealed in delight as he splashed his way into the deceivingly deep pool in the middle of the intersecting falls. “Welcome to my humble abode. I am so glad you like it!”

“Like it? I love it! its absolutely magnificent!”

“Its nothing really, let me show you to where you’ll be staying.” The pleased serpent bowed again as he dragged his arm across the middle waterfall, somehow managing to pull back the streaming water like it was a curtain, his tail formed a convenient humps to allow Rarity and Spike a bridge across his domain. It was with careful hops across the looping tail the unicorn, followed by dragon, made her way to the natural cave that had long ago formed behind the cascading water. Inside their breath was taken away once more. Along the walls danced thousands of mild lights, reflecting and distorting off the waterfall in a dazzling display of colour that twinkled and reflected along streams of quartz embedded into the stone. Mounds of soft moss spread over the mostly dirt and flat stone that made up the floor of the cavern, while strings of ivy wrapped their way around the rock face in similar patterns to the vines outside, proving at least part of the scene on display for them had been very carefully sculpted.

“This place is amazing.” Spike was the first to find his voice as he leapt from Aqua’s tail onto the moss. “It must have taken forever!”

“This old thing?” Aqua folded his hands and laid his head over top of them. His smile widened as he measured their reactions, looking very pleased with himself. “It’s nothing really, landscaping is just a little hobby of mine.”

“Well it all looks simply divine, Darling. I can’t thank you enough for letting us impose upon you like this.”

“Please, think nothing of it. I’ll never forget the way you gave so much of yourself for me. I’ll never be able to repay you for your generosity, but this allows me the chance to try. Now, I should give you both a moment to make yourselves at home while I collect a few things before supper.” At that Aqua slipped back out, letting the curtain of water cascade down once more leaving Spike and Rarity alone, standing on the moss.

Rarity moved over to the wall, placing a hoof lightly to one of the gleaming streams of quartz.

“How do you think he did it?”

“Time, I guess. A whole lot of it.” Spike’s eyes followed Rarity as he picked his way through the slippery moss. The cave was beautiful, there was no contesting that, but as far as shelters went there was still a lot to be desired. A cave behind a waterfall was bound to be constantly damp, and the moss, while soft, he knew it wouldn't suffice as a bed for the currently distracted unicorn. He began to survey the area restlessly. It was this anxiousness that finally drew Rarity’s attention from the artful design of the cave and towards the fidgety dragon.

“Is there something wrong Spike?”

“I’m just looking around that’s all. It’s really well hidden and I think we’ll be safe here, but it will be pretty damp and cold tonight. The moss is fine for me, but I don’t think you’ll like sleeping on it.”

“Well...” She was about to say it would have to do, but looking around at the decor she realized its fashion really wasn't much suited for function. “We’ll just have to think of something. Here, lets send Twilight that letter now to let her know where we are. No sense having her worry.”

Spike snorted a bit, holding back an admiring chuckle as he laid down, his head resting on his claws. Camping was as far away from Rarity’s comfort zone as plowing fields was for Twilight. Rather than fret about it or whine, a complaint or two later and she would be looking for a way to deal with whatever situation came across her path. He felt a deep respect for her swell up inside him. He smiled wistfully and carefully took her dictation, listening to her voice. She gave a brief summary of events which Spike jotted down quickly and sent on its way by fire breath express.

Afterwards Rarity began searching around the cave for a few minutes before pausing in front of Spike. She took a moment to look him up and down. Being scrutinized was something Spike was used to with Twilight’s constant analytical mind at work. Recognizing the look, he immediately straightened himself, spread out his wings, and tried to keep his eyes trained on the ceiling above. He was used to not asking questions first, as it tended to interrupt whatever was running through Twilight’s mind, but he was always uncomfortable when she did this. Rarity doing the same multiplied any sense of discomfort exponentially. There was no hiding his blush from her as she tilted her head to stare at him. He gave a silent thanks to Celestia she didn't mention anything about it.

“Spike, You said you’ll be fine on the moss, does it really not bother you?”

“Yeah, my scales mostly keep the damp out. I don’t feel it as much, and with a belly full of fire I don’t get cold very easily, sure does make me sleepy though.”

“Does that mean you’re cold blooded?” She allowed some idle curiosity to take over as she considered their positions.

“Nah.” Spike yawned, the inspection seemed like it was over and she was now into the interrogation part of whatever test she was conducting, “Real reptiles have no way of keeping a common temperature, so their blood is controlled by stuff around them. Dragonfire keeps me warm all the time.”

“But you do tend to be more tired in the winter.”

“Yeah, Twilight thinks it has to do with dragonfire burning up more energy than normal to keep me warm, but its just a guess. We don’t actually know any reason behind it.” He folded his wings, curled up his tail beside him and released another long and loud yawn. Then he felt a prod against his side, he jerked upwards staring at the offending hoof that reached over his tail to poke at him. “Rarity?”

“Sorry Spike, I was just wondering, if dragonfire could help keep more than just you warm.”

‘Well yeah, but not without making a fire, and I don’t think Mr. Shallows would like us lighting fires in here and filling the place up with smoke.”

“Of course you’re right, but I was thinking more of a direct approach. Your scales are so warm...” She trailed her hoof further down his side which once again left his cheeks turning that lovely shade of red she so enjoyed.

“Well... uh, you could try and see?” He stretched out his wing welcomingly looking away in embarrassment, hoping that this didn’t seem like some lame come on, and secretly wishing that it was exactly that. Rarity wore that small unreadable smile she would sometimes use around him. A smile that seemed to speak volumes of things he’d never understand, secrets and thoughts that he was somehow supposed to know but had no clue about.

She stepped over his tail, apparently accepting the offered side, and leaned against him, laying down against the crease where his curled tail met his body, and off of the moss altogether. He was able to support her weight comfortably even if they were about the same body size. His thick arms and legs were twice what hers were. She felt so light, and he couldn't help but start paying close attention to the soft fluff weighing against him. He nervously slipped his wing over her back, and she let out a soft sigh and nuzzled against him.

“Yes, I think this will do quite nicely... you don’t mind Spike?”

“Nope!” His voice was so high pitched it cracked as he tried to answer, much to Rarity’s well hidden delight.

She decided she was enjoying this, perhaps a little sinfully so. But it was a guilty pleasure she just might be able to get used to. The strong leathery texture beneath her had little in the way of give so it was somewhat uncomfortable at first, and she found that she could push as hard as she wanted against him and he wasn't going to noticeably budge. But the warmth that flowed through him and surrounded her felt like being wrapped in a thick blanket, especially as the wing seemed to pull her ever so slightly against him. Did this count as an embrace then? Perhaps it was similar to a pony slipping their foreleg around her shoulders? She wasn’t sure herself, but she was certain he thought so judging by how nervous he was.

Finally growing enough courage to turn and face her, his head moved back to lay against the tip of his tail, his eyes looking up at her in their curious fashion.

“A-are you comfortable like this?”

“Yes, yes I think I am.” She purposefully replied with an answer that could have a myriad of meanings. “And you?”

“Oh, yeah! I’m great! Never better! I could lay here like this for the rest of my life!” The words spilled out too quickly for him to stop and think about. She understood, seen it a thousand times before in nervous would-be suitors. It hadn't gotten any less adorable over time. She listened to his backpedaling as he realized how many intentions he could be giving away with it, “I mean, you know, I don’t mind or anything.”

“I’m glad.” Rarity allowed herself a small giggle and reached out, beginning to stroke the large, green spine on his head now that it was in easy reach. Spike’s breath caught in his throat at first contact, unsure of what she had in mind. She simply kept it up absently for minutes that seemed like forever until eventually his expression turned to one of peaceful contentedness under her gentle touch, his breathing turning steady and easy.

“Spikey?” She asked once she was certain he was more relaxed, “Have you ever thought about what you want to do with your life?”

“Not really.” Came the unthinking reply she expected. “I guess I just want to keep helping Twilight.”

“I thought you’d say that, but do you know why?”

“I like helping her. She needs me and I’m good at it. Its the only thing I know of that I am really good at, really. ”

“Why Spikey-wikey, that simply isn't true! You’re good at all sorts of things!”

“Like?”

“Well...” She tapped her chin in thought, “that letter you sent me took a lot of talent, maybe a scribe?”

“That is what I’m doing with Twilight.” He rolled his eyes.

“Oh, that’s true I suppose. How about baking? You often make such delicious treats.”

“I’m alright at a few of the things I know how to cook, but really I don’t have the same taste as ponies. That makes it really hard to make things we’d both like. I've never gotten anything right on the first try before.”

Rarity thought back to the pie he once attempted and was forced to agree that baking might not have been his strong point. He was good at cleaning the library as well, but the attempt at pie also brought to mind the mess he created in her kitchen afterwards. It wasn't that he was good at being an assistant, it’s that he just had a lot of practice at it under Twilight. He wasn't a good cook, he was just good at making things Twilight ate regularly. He was mostly just good at things he had a lot of practice with and everything he’d ever practiced was under Twilight’s tutelage. This flight practice may have been his first time doing something out from under his watchful sister’s gaze.

“ You've always been such a big help to me with my dresses at least, and with collecting gems. Maybe one of those types of things?”

“You just get me to hold needles for you, outside of being a natural pincushion I’m not any more help than any other pony would be. Though I do like to dig, I guess I could be a miner.” His eyes remained closed as Rarity continued running her hoof against his spines. His imagination swirled and distorted into a picture of him tunneling out a cave not that different from this one, but larger, and without water, each of the large tunnels filled with piles of gems and treasures. He winced and jolted upwards as a surprising roar resounded throughout his brain and a very large, angry version of himself stepped out onto the hoard, a gout of rushing green flame dissipating the vision.

“Uh, maybe not.” He felt his heart beating a mile a minute, and it took a few moments to steady his breathing. His fear of that side of him always shook him to the core. Rarity frowned, but thankfully didn't ask any further about it. The subject was a sore one he’d prefer never to broach.

Laying on top of Spike’s tail as she was, and leaning against him while talking gave some distinct advantages of understanding a bit of what he was feeling she found out. When he was content, she could feel the light breathing, and he had a tendency to nuzzle her lightly with his wing. When filled with wonder, she could feel his tail fight to wag a little beneath her. She didn’t need to watch his eyes or see his head jerk to know he was startled, though she had no idea what it was that startled him. She felt it with him, the shiver that ran right through him, his heartbeat pumping fast against her ear that she held against his side. She thought she could hear a roar of flame, and his scales became much warmer.

It had an alarming effect on herself as well, she too had become scared. More than any sense of a simple moment of surprise at his sudden movement though. She found herself scared stiff! Her limbs paralyzed and unable to move, her eyes quickly began looking this way and that for whatever might have caught his attention. When she saw nothing that wasn’t there before she turned back to him with a frightened frown. He settled back in and the flame within seemed to go backdie back down, his scales becoming comfortably warm once more. Whatever it was that scared him had passed, but scared didn’t seem the right word, she decided. It wasn't strong enough. Terror was more appropriate, whatever it was had terrified the poor dragon. He rejected the mining idea as she knew he probably would, she was surprised he’d even considered it really. The sudden rejection afterwards however left her deciding to never pursue the topic again. Or at least not for some time.

She went back to petting him, hoping to at least provide some comfort from whatever it was she had brought to his mind. She decided to keep her thoughts to herself for a few minutes, and they flowed back to all the things she knew he had done over the years. From swearing his life to Applejack, to his jealousy over Twilight’s pet owl. He pushed himself to learn more about dragons no matter what danger could have awaited for him there. He was usually very perceptive, always easily able to find books right away even when Twilight couldn't. He was so very loyal, but also had a penchant for lying if it got him out of trouble or helped his cause. He also wanted to help everypony around him as much as he could.

The thing she admired about him most, though, was easily his persistence. His perseverance exceeded any pony she knew, even more now that she thought about it. He wasn't good at cooking, but kept trying until he could. He wasn't a good assistant naturally, but kept at it until Twilight had trouble without him around to help out. No matter how hard the task he was assigned, or impossible it seemed, he would keep trying at it until he’d gotten it right. From stacking rocks, to counting blades of grass in a field, he would conquer even the toughest obstacles in front of him. In a way that meant he could become truly great at anything he set his mind to. Not by honed skill at natural talents like ponies, but through pure hard work. Her mind turned back to the box of pictures Princess Celestia sent her back with, and she nuzzled against him.

Scales that withstood damp caves, lava and fire, sharp objects and hard falls. Strength that could leave even the Apple family envious at times. Magical fire that could store objects, send messages, and be very dangerous if he needed it to. Soon he’d be able to fly and be able to travel quickly over long distances quickly as well. Loyalty mixed with vanity, a generous heart, and a wish to do the best he can for every pony he could. And finally a pride in servitude that very few could ever appreciate. It was all packed into the tiny unassuming role of a devoted librarian's assistant.

“You were meant to be something more than you are Spike. You know that right?”

There was no reply, just steady breathing. A slight snore betrayed him. Her eyes softened and she lay watching him with a small smile. She traced his spines with her hoof one final time before leaning in and giving him a light kiss on his forehead.

Some time later Aquas came by, a large tray of food in his hand as he pulled back the curtain of water. He was greeted to the sight of the young dragon, curled up around the pristine white unicorn, who had at some point shifted in her sleep, hugging the end of his tail close to her chest. He laid the tray of food down and let the curtain fall back. He was really looking forward to dining with them, but they looked so adorable together sleeping peacefully amidst the soft moss, twinkling quartz against stone, and ivy backdrop. He simply hadn't the heart to break the scene. If anything he was inspired! An idea for the perfect centerpiece he could use for his sparkling rock garden.


Spike stretched out his wings with a loud yawn that nearly unhinged his jaw it went so wide. He stretched out his arms, back, and tail like a cat, several cricks snapped and crackled as he did so. Bright sunlight danced past the down rush of water, like spots of pleasant heat trailing across his scales. He looked around the cave, as he was reminded where he was and noticed a unicorn missing from this scene. His eyes fell halfway closed and a wide closed mouth grin lined its way around his snout. She had felt so good laying next to him he idly wondered if there was some way possible to trap them out here another night! He tried to remember what they were talking about before sleep cruelly stole him from her presence only to spend the night in dreams about her. He could still smell her scent on him, and it sent splendid quivers along his neck and arms that left him giddy with butterflies fluttering in his stomach.

He stood up on two legs and after a final stretch, moved to the entrance of the cave. He was able to peek around the side of the waterfall and spotted Rarity and Aqua chatting away at the far shore across the deep pool. They were glancing over at the entrance to the cave, but they couldn't see him through the water. His yawn must have hinted to them that he was awake. He thought about calling out to them to see if Mr. Shallows would create a path over to join them, but then thought better of it.

“What the hay, I’m supposed to be learning to swim anyway, right?” A thought from a long time ago strayed into his mind. The dragon initiation and the big splashes they’d try to make. He didn't much succeed back then, but he was a lot bigger now, and with a mischievous smirk he wondered what would happen if he tried now. He backed up to the edge of the cave and then took a running start, sprinting as fast as he could and with as large a leap he could muster he sent himself hurtling towards the entrance with a shout.

“CANNON BALL!”

The warning was startling, and the trio thought they misheard it at first when the first splash came and a large purple figure sprang to high into the air before plummeting downwards, curled up in a ball. The resulting splash barely reached Aqua’s hands, but blanketed a good portion of the shoreline, leaving the unicorn of his dreams utterly drenched along with a certain cyan pegasus who had been hidden behind the huge serpent when Spike peeked from behind the waterfall.

“Spike!” Rarity shouted her irritation at the dragon, still underwater at this point. She quickly assessed the damage, it was easily repairable but really? She glared at him as he resurfaced, spouting a bit of water with a gleeful grin. “Just look what you've done to my mane!”

“Aw come on Rarity, it was just a bit of fun!”

“I see there are some traits that are common to all dragons.” Aqua rolled his eyes with a sigh as he reached down with the tip of his tail, letting Spike grab on as he had yesterday and pulled him up out of the water to inspect him. “Even the most well behaved ones.”

Spike shrugged but couldn't wipe the smile from his face that failed to hold even a shred of remorse. That was when he noticed where the sun was on the horizon.

“Oh no! It’s already afternoon! Rainbow Dash is gonna strangle me! How come no pony woke me up?!”

“Because I wanted to see what you could do if you finally showed up fully awake.” There hovered the pegasus he was fearing most in the world, completely soaked but smiling widely at him.

“Don’t mind them Spike, refined ponies don’t know how to have fun.” Rainbow Dash smirked as she hoof bumped her serpentine student, while Aqua moved him over to dry land. “That was an awesome launch, you caught some pretty good hang time there!”

“Thanks! But why are you here?”

“Because Twilight was worried about you both and asked if I could check out what was going on. She wasn’t expecting you to be late for training.”

“We do too know how to have fun!” Rarity sniffed, still drying herself daintily with the large towel she brought for just this type of emergency. “We just don’t see why it should come at the expense of elegance.”

Rainbow Dash landed beside her and shook the mess out of her mane soaking Rarity and her towel.

“Yeah right!” The prankster laughed, gesturing to her hind quarters, “You wouldn't know what fun was if it came up and bit you on the tail!”

Rarity scowled at her, an aura surrounding her horn as the pegasus smiled challengingly. Soon a hovering pool of water drawn from the lake splashed down over pegasus and dragon,. Spike grinned, He was already wet, and he knew what Rarity just started, even if she didn't know it yet. He slipped out of the way.

“How’s that for a pony that doesn't know how to have fun?”

“Lady,” Rainbow Dash wiped the water out of her eyes with a menacing look of her own. She immediately zipped out over the water and charged towards her friend at full speed. “its on!”

Rarity ducked the flying pony and stood up to watch her go with a pleased smile.

“Hah! you missed-” She was interrupted by a large gout of water that was left in Dash’s wake, leaving a temporary mocking spray of rainbow above the freshly soaked unicorn, “-me.”

Rainbow Dash smiled and stuck out her tongue, blowing a raspberry in Rarity’s direction. She hovered far out over the water, completely out of reach of any retaliation the unicorn’s magic could bring. That’s when she she heard a splash of water beneath her and felt a claw on her hind leg.

“Uh oh.” She stared down at the sly smile of a sneaky winged serpent who slipped back into the lake unnoticed. “Hey! I was sticking up for you!”

“You challenge Rarity, you deal with the dragon.”

“Betra~aayal!” She shouted while her wings began to buzz behind her as she attempted escape, but it was too late, and she knew it. He leapt easily from the water and dragged the pegasus down into the murky depths.

“His loyalty was mine first.” Rarity hmphed, before she busily set up her beach chair and umbrella again.

“Maybe ponies and dragons aren't so very different after all.” Aqua looked out over the water and watched the two friends degrade down into a torrent of splashes and outright water fight. “I was a little worried with how little you knew about them.”

“What’s to know?” Rarity smiled as she laid back down on her chair and put on her large sunglasses, “Even if they are different than us, the elements of friendship are the same to all of us.”

“So true!” The sea serpent laid his head in the palms of his hands and watched them play together. “but you’re moving away from it all, were you not telling me yesterday?”

“I suppose I am.” Rarity sighed. “My dreams lay on a different path than that of my friends. I like to think I’m taking their friendship with me though, not leaving it behind. I can bring everything we've learned to Canterlot and add more to our circle rather than decrease it.”

“Oh I see. Do you believe it will be so easy?”

“Of course not, but little ever is. I will do my very best to make it happen though. It would be a disservice to my friends to do less.”

“You take your friends very seriously. Perhaps one more than the others?”

“Perhaps.” Her large sunglasses made her expression unreadable.

“Love is not so easily taken with you when given by one you leave behind.” Aqua Shallows sighed happily, as he turned back to watch the splashing duo.

“Sometimes it must go unrequited. Few know that better than he does.”

“And you?”

“If few know better than him than none know better than I. He’s not ready for that sort of thing, he doesn't even know what he wants to do in life yet. He won’t be ready before I leave either, and until he is, I simply can’t let him follow.”

“Is not following one’s heart a decision for the one who owns the heart?”

“You have a point but it's a moot one. I misspoke, it’s not that I’m stopping him, its that he cannot follow. Its too far to visit regularly, and too expensive by train. In a week I fear I won’t see much of him or any of my friends anymore. He wanted to learn to fly so this is my farewell favour for him. To help reach the sky through the water as it seems.”

“I see,” He chuckled with a knowing look. “Oh, to be so young again...”

“Are you very old then Aqua?”

“Not by serpent tides or by dragon age, but by pony years you can consider me very old.” He twirled his moustache with some joy. “Would you allow me to impart some wisdom of one who had to make such a choice as yours before?”

“Choice?”

“Of which to chase, a dream or a heart.”

“I believe I've already made that one, and I have no mind to stop.”

“Both, young unicorn,” He continued as if not hearing her, “Chase both. Leave either one to the wayside, and you may end with regrets that can haunt you forever.” He began to sink deeper into the water, “I think it’s time to teach him the full use of his tail. I’ll leave you to your thoughts.”

“Wait!” Rarity took off her sunglasses slightly to look up to him. He paused but didn't turn around. “Which did you choose?”

“I saw a dream. A beautiful home away from the sea, surrounded by a forest of green, shimmering water falling and glinting in the sun, running rivers and tributaries.” His voice grew very distant. “My family called me ‘Minnow’ when I was young. It was because of my love for the shore, a sea serpent obsessed with the land. I spent every waking moment in shallow waters. There I earned my namesake. Now I have found the home of my dreams and work on it daily. This place is very beautiful, but it can also get quite lonely.”

The message wasn't lost on her, and she couldn't find words enough to respond. His road was not so different from her own.

“Thank you for visiting me again.” This time when Aqua moved back into the water, she did not stop him. “He’ll have learned all that’s necessary for flight by nightfall. With this Canterlot so very far from your Ponyville, and your Ponyville so very far from here, I don’t think I should expect a third chance to meet you. It has been an honour and a privilege to share my home with someone that can fully appreciate its value. Thank you again.”




By the end of the day Rarity and Rainbow Dash had spent most of it on the shore watching the large sea serpent teaching the relatively tiny dragon to dive deeper and deeper into the water. Most of the lessons required Spike spend his time in the darkest depths, swirling around, and pushing through the murky water with only his wings and his tail, his arms and legs usually tucked in against his sides. It was fun actually. He couldn't remember the last time he felt so good after training. By the time evening came around and it was time to leave, he wasn't sure he wanted to go. For more reason than simply having Rarity at his side two nights in a row. Something about Mr. Shallows’ mood had changed, and he was more attentive and far more stern than he was the day before.

As the three said their goodbyes to Aqua Shallows, Spike promised he’d drop by once he got flying down. The large purple serpent shook his hand firmly and invited him back anytime he wanted. Rainbow Dash was talking up a storm on the way home, mostly about her work with Scootaloo and how she earned her flight goggles yesterday. Rarity didn't seem as interested as she normally would be. A smile and a nod at the appropriate times, and one word answers of praise and encouragement. Dash was too excited about the prospects of getting back to her flight lessons to notice, but this wasn't the Rarity he knew. Rarity would normally have a lot to add to almost any conversation, instead whenever Dash would look back to the trail in front of her, she’d go silent or lose the smile would look very worn. It was an expression Spike had only witnessed temporarily between inspiration or action. A look that was foreign and mostly unfamiliar to the confident unicorn, it was one of quiet uncertainty.

It was very distracting too. He was trying to think about what could have happened to her, and at the same time keep up his conversation with his coach. Scootaloo learning to fly was a pretty big deal after all! And he was also trying to keep an eye out for darkened shadows in the woods. He was supposed to be playing hero. But the walk was as boring as their way here, Rarity was being passive, and Dash was talking about some song that was caught in Scootaloo’s head.

That had caught his interest quickly. He liked all sorts of music, but all Rainbow Dash could say about it was that it had a 3-count beat.

“Do you think Pinkie’s fan would work for me?”

“We can give it a shot when we’re home, it would be good practice at least. Actually, why don’t you try it right now? Put some of those swimming lessons to good use on the trip home. Who knows, you might not need the fan!”

“ Wouldn't that be lovely Spike?” Rarity added. “Then the three of you could be flying together as early as tomorrow.”

“Tomorrow?” Spike paused, picturing the flight team passing through the skies, waving down at Twilight and the others, dropping in on Rarity in Canterlot after she left again. He felt excitement bubble up inside him. “Yeah, alright. Couldn’t hurt right?”

“Okay, now remember, just like you did this morning. Take a bit of a running start, jump as high as you can, then tuck in your legs and... well... swim upwards I guess?” That phrase sat awkwardly on her tongue as Dash tried to pass on her flight experience. Why did everything about training her fledglings have to be awkward?

It didn't seem to phase Spike though. He leaned forward and got start at a sprint before pushing off with all his strength and launching himself into the air! Rainbow Dash was right there with him, coaching him along.

“Tuck them in! Tuck them in!” She shouted, and he followed orders, pulling all his limbs under him as well as he could, letting his wings try to carry the weight. He was hanging in the air for a few moments of excited elation before he felt his weight starting to drag him down. Slowly at first than the pressure on his wings built up fast and they began to lose the pocket of air they’d caught on.

“Straighten your tail Spike! Flap your wings! No not just once, keep flapping!”

The advice came too late and he found himself crashing through some branches and sliding belly first on the dirt with Rarity rushing over.

“Spikey~Wikey! Are you hurt?”

“Only my pride.” He spat out a couple maple leafs, and brushed some of the twigs and pine needles away only to find them glued on by some brown sticky substance. He frowned curiously, taking a bit of a sniff at it before giving Rarity a flat look. “Huh. Tree sap.”

She snorted very unladylike, bringing up her hoof quickly to hide her laughter. He understood why, of course. He had been at the boutique numerous times as Sweetie Belle came back from her adventures with her friends loaded with the stuff. Rainbow Dash touched down and glared at him.

“Spike, you’re thinking too much. You caught air up there, but I could practically see the gears turning in your head as you tried to follow instruction. You have to try to feel it out for yourself, not wait for me to tell you! Use your instincts!”

“My instincts? I don’t think that’s such a good idea. Twilight can come up with a checklist for near anything though, if I work on one tonight with her I’ll probably have something to-”

“Stop right there.” Dash stuck her hoof against his mouth to cut him off, “No checklists! Instinct only, am I making myself clear? Flying is all about knowing yourself, something completely custom fit for you!”

“Yeah but-”

“No buts Spike! You’re not going to rampage every time you listen to your gut. Would you just trust yourself already?”

“Easy for you to say.” He grumbled, getting ready to try again.

“You know...” Rainbow Dash paused, thinking to herself. “This place looks familiar.”

“Well it should.” Rarity commented as the path had become dark enough that she decided it was worth it to risk conjuring a light spell. Her soft blue light was a deep contrast to the growing shadows over the misshapen trees, and the way the orange in the dusk sky dimly lit the ground past the tree cover. There were high cliffs on either side of the foliage, making it easy to tell where the path was. It was also unsettling, as the only place to flee would be back or forwards if something crossed their path. “It is the same path we used to get to the ancient castle of the pony sisters.”

“The what now?”

“Where we faced Nightmare Moon?” She tried.

“Oh, right. I knew that. Nightmare Moon’s spooky castle, the bridge, the river, those creepy trees...”

“Why are you remembering everything backwards?”

“Because it’s just how my mind works okay? I know this place had something important about it. Now where was I?”

“Creepy trees, Darling. You were talking about the trees Pinkie Pie sang to.”

“Right creepy trees. What came before that again?”

A horrible roar echoed off the cliffs for miles around, hastily sending Spike and Rarity into a shivering hug, watching around them.

“Oh right, the manticore.” Dash nodded, then she blinked as she thought about it. “Manticore?!”

She turned to look behind her and sure enough the great beast stood there between them and their destination, it was an all too familiar scene. She’d gotten a lot faster over the years so maybe it wouldn't be able to pick her out of the air as easily, only one way to find out.

“Run!” She cried out, as she rocketed towards the beast, swirling around it at a dizzying pace.

“Come on Spike, hurry!” Rarity was already galloping past it while Rainbow Dash had it distracted, but Spike was slow to follow. She could tell he wanted to help, but her call prompted him to take to his feet after her.

The manticore’s scorpion tail flashed out quickly time and again towards the blue blur around it until it noticed the dragon running past. It ignored the speeding pegasus altogether, leaping out towards him at full sprint, unintentionally knocking Dash out of the air.

She landed upside down hard against a tree. She took a moment to shake her head free of fuzzy vision before watching the predator bare down on her friend, she called out in desperate warning.

“Spike! Watch out!”

The warning came too late. He felt large lion claws grip hard against his hips, and tore him from his feet before sending them both sprawling into the dirt. The manticore quickly took the advantage, pinning Spike and raising its tail, stinger dripping with venom, ready to finish him. It wasn't expecting the fierce double hoof kick from the fashionista that sent him flying off the downed dragon.

“Spike! Get up!” She grabbed one of his wings in her mouth and helped pull him to his feet. For his part Spike felt like he had just been hit by runaway apple cart! he looked up at the strange mess of creatures blended into one as it slowly rose to its own feet. It had wings, it had speed, it had venom, it had strength, there was no point just rushing it without thought. He had to think, why would it attack? There was sure to be easier prey around. It ignored Rarity for Rainbow Dash, and it ignored Rainbow Dash for him.

“Me...?”

“What?” Rarity paused mid-step took look at him as she was about to run.

“It's after me! Its just defending its territory from another predator! Get out of here, I can distract it!”

“Spike! No!”

He either didn't hear or paid no heed as he rushed towards the manticore, leaping at it, wings and arms spread out as he tackled it back to the ground.

Rainbow Dash wasted no time once she managed to clear her head. She dashed forwards helping Spike tackle the raging monstrosity to the ground, giving the dragon enough chance to pin it with his claws and tail, as the two wrestled against each other.

“Get Rarity out of here while I have it pinned down! I have an idea!” It let out a gigantic roar in his face, turning him a frightened pale white until some part deep inside him told him to return the favour. He lifted his head, took in a deep breath and roared back. Not anywhere near as frightening a bellow as the manticore’s. Right up until the large gout of green flame followed after anyway! The manticore’s head was charred black and it blinked at the dragon in surprise.

Rainbow Dash gave a short nod, and raced past Rarity, picking her up as she flew upwards into the branches, and out over the treetops.

“Stop! Put me down this instant! You can’t just leave him!”

Rarity’s shouting protests faded away quickly to somewhere above and behind him. He could feel the sharp claws digging at his shoulders, the bulbous stinger dripping by his head as his own tail had coiled around it, straining to keep the lethal appendage away. The air was filled with the scent of burnt fur, its mane blackened from dragonflame. His ears were filled with the viscous growls and snarls as the beast’s fangs tried to maul and tear at his neck, his own claws dug into its shoulders and kept its slobbering jaws at bay.

They were locked into a stalemate, neither able to gain advantage over the other save one major difference. The dragon could feel his flame welling up inside him again even now, the manticore still pinned to the ground, had nothing that could guard against it. He reared his head back once more, ready to release the blistering blast that lodged in the back of his throat. The manticore winced, turning its head away in vain attempt to protect its face, recognizing the movement from before. The expression the creature wore left a quiet yet stern voice in the back of his head, something telling him not to follow through with this. A celestial vote of confidence in its tone. It said only one thing, but it was said with emphasis and an undeniable sense of pride.

You’re better than this.

The manticore noticed the hesitation and managed to slam a strong claw against his face, the voice fell away and the young monster unleashed a torrent of green blaze.

From deep inside the mighty forest, a black cloud and sparks erupted high into a red evening sky, while a determined pegasus tore through the heavens, a distraught unicorn with smoke reflecting in her eyes panicking in her grasp.

Author's Note:

It's not the length that counts, it's how you use it!
This chapter was insanely long though, My first attempt at action adventure scenes too! Let me know how I did below!

'A quarter beat later she was tackled into a rolling hug by a wild Sweetie Belle.'
A wild Sweetie Belle has appeared!
The wild Sweetie Belle used tackle!
It was super effective!

As ever, I strive to serve.