• Published 23rd Dec 2012
  • 13,021 Views, 333 Comments

The Hero of Altomare - Borsuq



Ponyville (unknowingly) finds itself to become a home to another dragon.

  • ...
11
 333
 13,021

11. At the picnic

Latios trotted happily alongside Fluttershy throughout the meadow. He didn’t mind that they weren’t flying. With him being stuck in this form for two days now, he had gotten used to it, and now using those legs to move around was quite enjoyable. He also didn’t really mind that they would spend some time with Fluttershy’s friends, as they seemed nice. Although, he would prefer to be just with her...

He shook his head before his wings would react to his excitement. So far, Fluttershy appeared declined to the idea of mating, so Latios wouldn’t try to push the issue. He was more than content to simply ‘cuddle’, as she put it, with her.

“We’re close to it now.” Fluttershy told him, turning her head to smile at him. “I think I can hear them!”

He nodded in reply, as he could hear them for some time. Unless his hearing was off today, everypony besides them was already there. Latios sighed inwardly and hoped that they wouldn’t ask him questions that would require for him to write them. He brought a pencil with a small notepad Twilight had left him, but he preferred-

Wait!” he thought, and although he continued to trot with Fluttershy, his mind concentrated at one. “I smell... water? And a lot of it, too... could there be a lake of sorts?

Now that he began to think about it, during the past week when he was observing ponies, he never really followed any of them in this direction. It so happened that the first two that spotted going there were mates (despite both of them being females), and half-way to the point where Fluttershy and he were now they started... Well, suffice to say that Latios decided to give them some privacy. Since then, the Eon Dragon completely ignored ponies that were going this way, although now it was clear to him that not all of them had rutting in mind while coming here.

He only had seconds to ponder all of that, because Fluttershy’s friends and the small lake came quickly into their sight. Seeing the latter, Latios smiled at the possibility of swimming in it, even if not today.

“Geez, what took you guys so long?” Rainbow Dash asked once they joined them.

Despite her pretentious question, the pegasus had a badly hidden smirk on her face. Latios raised an eyebrow at that, and then moved on to study the remaining four. Pinkie Pie, who was floating above the ground thanks to the few balloons she had tied around her chest for whatever reason, had that usual all-happy smile. Applejack eyes darted between him and Fluttershy, although when she noticed that he watched her she blushed and looked the other way. Rarity smiled at the two of them as they said their greetings, nothing in her demeanor showing any hint of bloodlust she expressed while threatening him.

As Latios felt a cold chill run down his spine at that memory, he turned to Twilight, and found her staring at him studiously as well.

“So, is it true, or was Rarity pulling our legs?” Rainbow asked few minutes later when they all were sitting on a blanket.

The question, although expected, made Fluttershy choke on the cupcake she was eating. Eon delicately patted her on the back with his wing. Once she got better, Fluttershy gave him a grateful smile.

“Rainbow Dash, I did not tell you about it so you could pester them!” Rarity told the pegasus angrily.

“I’m not pestering them, I’m just curious.” Rainbow replied, annoyed. “Lighten up, would’ya?” turning back to the two other pegasi, she repeated: “So, is it true or not?”

Come on,” Fluttershy chastened herself, “there’s nothing to be ashamed off...

“Well... yes.” she told her friends, her cheeks.

“Well then, congrats ya two.” Applejack was first to recover. “Ah think ya two look cute together.”

The others soon joined in congratulating them, with Pinkie giving them both a hug and proposing a party to celebrate it, to which both her and Eon blushed and protested. Their identical reaction earned them few remarks from Dashie, which mostly made even them laugh, save for the “Birds of a feather buck together.” that again made them embarrassed.

About twenty minutes later, Fluttershy noticed that Eon Guard was writing something on a note. Curious, she glanced right at the moment when he gave it to her.

Mind if I go for a swim?

“Oh, not at all.” she replied, slightly amused that he asked her for a permission.

Eon Guard nodded gratefully, and rose up, stretching his body after sitting for so long. He didn’t jump into the water right away as Fluttershy expected, but instead flew into the air, stopped about ten meters high, and then dove right into the swimming hole.

Latios’ heart leaped in his chest at the familiar sensation of diving into cold water. Opening his eyes underwater, he saw many underwater plants, fishes, and some kind of squid. They all run away from the bigger creature, as Latios swam down to the bottom.

Unfortunately, despite his pegasus form being nearly as fast in the air as his real one, the same couldn’t be said about his speed in the water. That, joined with his smaller lungs’ capacity, made him retreat back towards the surface as soon as his hoof touched the bottom. Using both hooves and wings, Latios tried to speed up, and soon before he would reached the surface he began spinning, so when he finally jumped out into the air and his wings outstretched, his feathers quickly shook of the water, letting him fly again.

“Pff, show off.” Rainbow Dash commented, once they saw Eon Guard breach the surface of the water and lounge into the air once more.

Twilight, who had more pressing matters on her head, merely rolled her eyes. The letter from the Princess unnerved her, especially with this recent development.

Oh, Fluttershy...” she thought bitterly, glancing at her friend, whose big blue eyes watched Eon with awe and love at his display of skill. “I am happy for you, I really am, but the letter... what have you gotten yourself into?

Sighing, Twilight run over in her head the context of the letter, hoping that this time it will make much more sense:

My dearest Twilight

I regret to inform you that I was too busy to read your letter yesterday and only got around this morning to it. If I had time the previous day, I would reply right away.

Read my next words carefully, Twilight, and memorise them, for I will need you to burn this letter and not mention its context to anypony. You must not let this Eon Guard to become too closely-attached to any of your friends. It would be the wisest if you could separate him from Fluttershy, with whom he seems to have much in common, according to your letter. However, in the event that it is already too late for that (I trust that I don’t have to explain what I mean by that to you), you must do the opposite: ensure that the pony he had gotten close with is at his side at all times.

I know this must be confusing, my faithful student, but it cannot be explained over letter. And I cannot come to Ponyville, as I need to go to Griffonia with a diplomatic mission (meaning that paranoiac of King, Olaf the Fourth, things again that griffons living in our country are oppressed and I need to dissuade those worries. I swear, of all the kings griffons had, this one is the most annoying one I had to deal with...), and I won’t be back for three days.

I trust that you will make sure everything will be as I asked of you. Have faith in me, as I have in you.

Your trusting mentor,

Princess Celestia

PS: Remember to burn this letter, and not to say a word to anypony.

Author's Note:

I'm afraid that "The Hero of Altomare will be going on break again. I need to think more carefully about what is going to happen next, as I only have a general idea so far, and I want to focus on my main story for a while.