• Published 23rd Dec 2012
  • 13,017 Views, 333 Comments

The Hero of Altomare - Borsuq



Ponyville (unknowingly) finds itself to become a home to another dragon.

  • ...
11
 333
 13,017

16. The Piece that was Missing

Seeing Eon’s breathing grow stronger and steadier made Fluttershy sigh with relief. He was going to be okay. His body was still burning up, but with the compress she had pressed against his forehead his temperature was bound to return to normal.

“He’s getting better,” Fluttershy said out loud, causing five more sighs of relief to be uttered by her friends. As tension had finally left her, her haunches fell down on the floor. “Thank Celestia.”

Back there, on that clearing, she had completely lost her head. Panic had seized her, and she had no clue what to do. Fluttershy knew she needed to get Eon back to her cottage so she could treat him, but he was too big for her to carry him by herself. Luckily, almost as soon as she screamed for help, Rainbow Dash had came down from the sky. Too worried about Eon to be puzzled as to why her friend was flying above the Everfree Forest, together the two pegasi carried him all the way to Fluttershy’s cottage, where, after quickly telling everypony what happened - the little bit they actually knew, that is - they placed him on a couch and did all they could to help him.

Unfortunately, not knowing what was really wrong with him was a big problem. The memory of how Eon had reacted to her trying to give him some medicine when she thought he was sick was fresh in Fluttershy’s mind, and now, seeing that he wasn’t a pony or any other creature she had ever came upon, made her doubt every healing method she knew of. Thankfully, Twilight had reminded her how he had managed to heal his injuries by himself during his fight with the changelings, and suggested that maybe they should just try to make him more comfortable and left him fight this strange affliction by himself.

And it seemed to work, if his condition’s improvement was any indication. Even now, as Fluttershy changed the compress on his head, she noticed that his forehead wasn’t as hot as before.

Thank Celestia,” she repeated in her thoughts, suppressing an urge to cry and hug him. He was still weak, and Fluttershy didn’t want to risk hurting him.

“I don’t understand…” Fluttershy heard Twilight murmur, and she glanced at her friend. While she was constantly checking on Eon to see whether he was getting better or worse, the lavender unicorn had been observing Eon very carefully, her eyes scanning him from the head with those funny ears through his forelegs with claws and two big wings to the two tails. Rainbow had even made a comment earlier about Twilight checking out Fluttershy’s coltfriend, which earned her a light knock on her head from Applejack for making fun out of this situation. Now the unicorn was rubbing her head thoughtfully, confused. “There doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with him; no sign of wounds; no sign on his coat or muzzle of a strange substance that could have come from plants in the Everfree Forest and affect him… just what happened to him? He couldn’t just grow so sick by himself.”

That had also been on Fluttershy’s mind, not as much as getting Eon cured, but she too wandered about what had happened to him. Having taken care of many animals over the years, she knew most sicknesses and diseases they could catch. But to be in such as state as Eon, to be in pain, have a fever and problems with breathing, and not show a sign of external influence causing it… Fluttershy could believe that it might be a some sort of disease that only affects creatures like Eon, but he was gone for only two days. There was not enough time for him to fall so sick so rapidly, she would have seen some signs of it before. And Twilight had already eliminated a possibility of him being somehow poisoned by changeling’s magic when she and Rainbow had brought him, so this couldn’t be a result of the fight. Just what could have-

“Perhaps I can explain it.”

Everypony immediately turned to the door at the sound of the voice every single one of them recognized. There was only one pony in Equestria who could sound so caring, regal, and wise all at the same time.

“Princess Celestia!” the six ponies exclaimed, and all but Fluttershy, who stayed by Eon, ran up to her.

“You’re back from the Griffonia already?” Twilight quickly asked her, but before the Princess had a chance to answer her student began bombarding her with other questions, “Was everything alright? Was King Olaf a pain again? And what was it you meant in that letter you sent me? Why did you want me to make sure Eon Guard stays with Fluttershy? Do you know what he is? Where he came from? And what’s wrong with hi-”

Twilight would have probably continue like that for a while, but Princess Celestia raised a hoof after a few moments, stopping the flood of questions.

“To answer your three first questions: ‘yes’, ‘yes’, and ‘of course yes’,” she replied, smirking. Her expression turned somber the next second, though, as her eyes shifted to the still unconscious Eon. “As for Eon-”

“Princess, I’m sorry,” Twilight had almost immediately cut her off. “I know you asked me to make sure he stays with Fluttershy-”

“Do not worry, Twilight,” now it was Princess Celestia’s turn to cut Twilight off. She looked at her student with kindness as she continued, “You could not have predicted that the changelings would attack Ponyville, or that Eon Guard would chose to leave on his own accord… which, to be honest, puzzles even me. But yes,” she said, once again turning to Eon as she walked into the cottage, “I do happen to know a few things about him.”

Everypony exchanged surprised gazes as they hurried to stand beside the Princess. After a second, though, she gave them a sign to sit down, and she herself sat as well. If Fluttershy hadn’t been so worried about Eon, she would have cringed at the thought of not having any pillows or something for the Princess to sit on. However, everypony was too busy wondering just what the Princess knew about their new friend.

“But Princess,” Twilight began once everypony was sitting, “how can you know anything about Eon? I’ve never heard about a creature resembling him.”

“That’s no surprise, Twilight,” Princess Celestia replied. “After all, there is no creature like him other than Eon himself anywhere in Equestria.”

Princess reply caused everypony to go “Huh?!” at the same time.

“But... Princess…” Twilight tried to somehow put what the Princess had just said. “Then… where did Eon come from? And how do you know anything about him?”

“That’s because once there was one creature like your friend,” Princess Celestia told them, much to the confusion of everypony. “Many, many years ago, there was a strange pony that appeared in Equestria. Like Eon over here, he was blue-gray, and couldn’t speak. Like him, he befriended a few ponies, and even managed to enamour a certain mare,” Celestia said, and her face once more grew somber. “However, one day, he showed her who he really was,” she nodded at Eon, “and she became afraid of him. Heartbroken, he had flown away… and a few days later, he had been found dead in the wilderness.”

Fluttershy gasped. Not just because there was once another creature like Eon who had suffered such a terrible fate, but also because of how that one had been rejected. “Is this why Eon left?” she wondered. “Was he afraid that I was going to reject him?

“Bow how did he... die?” Twilight asked the question.

It was then, when her friend asked that question, that Fluttershy had realize… that the same had almost happened to her Eon. She looked back at him, to make sure he was alive, and then turned back to Princess Celestia with eyes wide with fear.

“As that being was such an unusual creature, I had performed the post-mortem examination myself,” the Princess replied to her student, a shadow falling on her features; clearly, that memory wasn’t pleasant to her. “There was nothing wrong with his body… and yet at the same time, his death was caused by a failure of multiple organs and body’s systems. I didn’t know what had caused it. That is, until I took a peek into the residual aura of his soul. When I did...” Princess Celestia paused, and looked at Eon. “I found that prior to his coming to Equestria, a piece of his soul had been removed.”

“A piece of his soul was missing?!” Twilight exclaimed, clearly shocked.

“Yes. I think it was somehow tied to his coming to Equestria…” Princess Celestia trailed off for a moment, before she shook her head. “Either way, though, the piece that was missing was small, so small that it wouldn’t affect the his health. However… when he had met that mare, he fell in love with her, and his incomplete soul somehow bonded with her. She became quite literally his ‘other half’. The connection got stronger over time, until he left when the mare learned the truth about him and rejected him.”

Fluttershy’s eyes widened as Princess Celestia looked at her. “Being away from her, his body began failing, and the same had happened to Eon Guard. Now that he is close to Fluttershy again, he is getting better, though. I expect he will soon regain consciousness.”

“But… Princess…” Twilight was staring at her and Eon and Fluttershy in confusion. “How… I… this… I don’t understand how could this all work.”

Princess Celestia chuckled gently. “My student, you should know by now that magic is sometimes fickle, especially when it comes to souls and love.”

While Twilight tried to ponder at her mentor’s words, Fluttershy breathed with relief. She didn’t really understand what the Princess had said, but one thing was clear to her: Eon was going to be okay as long she stayed close to him. She smiled as she looked back at him.

I will keep you safe,” she thought affectionately.

As if hearing her thoughts, Eon stirred. A smile crept onto her face as the strange being she came to love opened his eyes slowly.

Latios opened his eyes with great effort. The last few hours… or was it days… He wasn’t sure exactly how long it had been since he had left Ponyville - and Fluttershy - behind, and almost every second of it was filled with suffering. His instinct told him he should find a safe place to hide until this unexplainable seizure would leave him, but he needed to get as far away from Fluttershy as possible… he didn’t want to see her looking upon him with fear…

His last memory, other than the excruciating pain, was landing heavily on a grass somewhere beside water. Other than that, it was only pain, as his consciousness had slowly faded away… But now the pain was almost gone, he was someplace warm, and was laying on something much more comfortable.

Bright light assaulted his eyes as he opened them, making him unable to see where exactly was he… but there was no chance he would have mistaken the scent that assaulted his nostrils as soon as he regained his senses.

He was in Fluttershy’s den, and she was sitting nearby.

Good morning,” she whispered softly beside him; there was no way it wasn’t her, he would have recognized that voice anywhere. Afraid what he might see, he looked at her. “You had me worried, you know.”

The familiar features of Fluttershy were ever so pleasant to his eye, but now gazing at them filled him with surprise. She was… looking at him as if nothing had changed. Latios blinked, unsure what that meant, and noticed that they weren’t alone. Fluttershy friends were in the room as well, as well as a strange big pony. His eyes locked on her for a second, noticing that it wasn’t just her look that distinguished her from other ponies, but the power she had as well. He quickly lost interest, though, as Fluttershy began speaking once again.

“Eon, why did you run away like that?” she asked, looking at him with no fear, but with concern.

What?” Latios thought, surprised. “Forget that I am not a pony at all. Why doesn’t she have a problem with me being a dragon? Does she… not know?

If she didn’t know that he’s a dragon… then maybe…

No,” he discarded that idea almost as it came to him. “I’m done with lying. It’s not fair for Fluttershy… even if it means she’s going to hate me.

He growled quietly as he concentrated and raised his head with an effort. Whatever affliction had caused him such pain had left his body weakened. Fluttershy’s hooves quickly reached for him to help him, but before she touched him, Latios extended his power to her and everybody else in the room, showing them a memory.

Fluttershy gasped when she saw Eon’s eyes glow with light, but before she could react otherwise, she noticed she was no longer in her cottage. Instead she was on a meadow, looking at her friends sitting on blanket… with her?

Six more gasps made her look around and realize that there was another set of her friends, along with Princess Celestia, sitting exactly like they were in her cottage, all looking around surprised.

“Oh, don't worry about it,” she heard herself say… except this was the other her, not her her.

Fluttershy looked at the other her surprised. This all looked and sounded really familiar…

“I just... don't really like dragons, that's all,” the other her finished, smiling gently at… Eon?

Huh?” Fluttershy thought, puzzled. Didn’t she say that two days ago before all that ugly business with the changelings?

The world around them disappeared, returning them to her cottage. Fluttershy watched as Eon’s eyes lost their glow, slowly putting two and two together. That had happened two days ago. With his strange powers Eon had showed them his memory… the memory of Fluttershy saying she doesn’t like dragons… to answer her question as to why he left…

“You’re a dragon?” she asked surprised. He looked nothing like Spike or any other dragon she had seen… then again, she had seen only two in total, and one was a baby dragon…

She pulled herself from her musing as she noticed that Eon cringed at her words and looked away. Her jaw dropped as she really thought what this meant. Eon was a dragon, and he heard from a pony he loved that she doesn’t like dragons…

Tears filled her eyes as she realized just what he must have been through.

“I’m sorry!” she exclaimed, throwing her hooves around his neck before he could react. Before he could escape. Fluttershy quickly began to explain herself to him as she cried, hoping he would forgive her and wouldn’t leave her again. “I didn’t mean to hurt you! I’m not afraid of all dragons, just those scary ones! You don’t scare me, I love you! Please don’t leave me again!”

Latios was startled by Fluttershy’s reaction, but her words and tears startled him even more.

She… still loves me?’ he thoughts as he looked at her, crying into his neck. “Even now that she knows I’m a dragon?

He wasn’t sure how to react… but he knew one thing. His mate was crying.

Latios lifted one claw and scratched her side gently, making her look at him. He stared into her eyes, red from crying, and purred gently, licking the tears off her face in two licks.

As soon as his tongue left her coat for the second time, he focused and shapeshifted into the form in which she, the one that loved him despite their differences, had fallen for.

Eon the pony smiled to her awkwardly as their muzzles were so close that their noses were touching. Fluttershy own lips began to curl into a smile as well… before they both lunged at each other, kissing passionately.

“Aaaaawww!” Latios heard six ponies in the background exclaim, but neither he nor Fluttershy paid them any mind.

They had each other, and in this moment, nothing else existed for them.

They were whole.

Author's Note:

THE E- nah, I'm kidding. There is stil one more chapter before this story is done.

I know some of you might be disappointed, but when I first started The Hero of Altomare, I hadn't planned it to be this long. After seeing how popular it grew I decided to add few things, and now we came here. Also, I could very well end it actually here, but I decided to add something more, though I don't know how long that last chapter will be, might be as short of those 1000 words chapters a few months back.

I think I will manage to write the next chapter in April, since I think it will be nice to be finally done with at least one story.