• Published 10th Dec 2012
  • 1,273 Views, 8 Comments

A new kind of flier - Karlsson



K is a pilot, second in command of the Grim Reaper squadron. He brings death from above on Earth. Is that a good fit for Equestria? Will he be able to find a purpose in a in a world full of colorful, peaceful, talking ponies?

  • ...
19
 8
 1,273

Race day

That must have been the best sleep of my life I thought to myself as I started to wake up. I tried to sit but realized couldn't. I started to look around trying to see what was holding me down and I noticed that AJ had put one of her front and one of her back legs over me holding me close to her.

"AJ are you awake?" I asked. AJ just mumbled some ting that I could not make out witch told me that she was still sleeping. It did feel kind of nice to have her worm belly and chest against my back and her hot breath on my neck. I thought for a moment of the option of just lying there and enjoy myself. But then I noticed that the clock on the wall It was 08:30. Oh shit I am going to be late to my race with Rainbow dash!
"AJ, AJ Wake up! I am going to be late to the race!" I half shouted as I tryed to get out of her grip. She finally started to wake up.

"Wha whats going on?" She saw the clock on the wall and she gasped. "K you are going to be late to your race! Why aren't you up yet?!" She asked somehow not noticing that she was holding on to me. I stoped twisting and turned my head to look at her.

"Because you are holding me down with a very sweat but at this moment very inconvenient hug!" I said with an amused expression on my face.

"Oops, sorry." But she didn't let go of me, she only slumped her head back down on pillow, so I started to squirm in her grip again.

"AJ You are going to have to let me go if I am going to make it to that race in time." I said pretending to be irritated, but I have to admit that a rather big part of me did enjoy the embrace.

"Ask kindly and I may let go." She said nuzzling the back of my neck and holding me even tighter than before. I stopped squirm and thought of what I should do. I could try to overpower her but that would just ruin the moment. In the end I only came up with one good option. I put one of my hands on the hoof that she was using to hold on to my chest and said.

"Pretty please..." It did not work so I added. "With apples on top?" It worked, she laughed quietly and let me go. I got one foot down on the floor but when I tried to pull the other one down I just fell flat down on my face. My ankle was stuck on what I assumed to be the covers, so I lifted them to get free. But What I found was a bit of a surprise. AJ was apparently not going to let me go just like that for she had her tail spun around my ankle, I looked at her with a, you-have-got-to-be-kidding-me, look on my face and said.
"Really Applejack?"

"Sorry partner, That tail has a mind of its own sometimes" Something told me that she was lying but she let go of my ankle and I went straight for my clothes on the table mirror.

"How'd ya sleep?" She asked rubbing the sleep out of her eyes while I was getting my overalls and bots on.
"I slept really well actually." I replied. "AJ would it be ok if I stayed at sweet apple acres for the time being? After sleeping like this I don't think I can go back to sleeping in my F35-2s."

"I thought that you would never ask sugarcube." AJ said giving me a friendlily wink.

"Thanks a lot AJ and I promise if I stay for long I will find something I can do to help around the farm." By this point I was fully dressed and had my knife strapped to my ankle again. Before bolting out the door I waved at Applejack who had just gotten out of the bed and was now putting her hat on. First running through a short hallway and then down a set of stairs I ended up in the kitchen where the cutimark crusaders where siting around a table having breakfast. They all looked at me and their mouths just fell open, I would have stopped to say hi but there was simply no time so I just ran past the table snagging an apple as I went by.

"Sorry to disturb you crusaders and thank you for the apple by the way."
They didn't say a word, I just ran out the door as fast as I could eating the apple at the same time. Time was running out and I had no chance of making the deadline if I continued at this pace. It was gonna take a miracle to get me there now.

"K!" I turned my head to see Applejack catching up with me.

"Hey Applejack what are you doing here?"

"Well the thought struck me that you will not make It to the field in time by just running as slow as you are partner."

"Are you suggesting something?" I asked still going as fast as I could.

"Just slow down for a bit, get on my back and I will carry you to the field, I feel like doing some morning exercise any way."
And just like that AJ was running toward the field with me on her back. I know that she is fast but I didn't think that she would be able to go this fast with me on her back. We were at the field in no time, I even had four minutes to spare. Rainbow had not arrived yet but other ponies had started to gather having heard that she had been challenged to a race to Cloudsdayl and back by this wingless creature that had appeared in Ponyville. (Yours truly).
I used the four minutes to my advantage by clearing out the air intake in the front of the aircraft, there was a little squirrel sitting in there.

"Hey there little guy listen In just a few minutes this is going to be a place where you do not want to be, so can you just come on out." I reached in to the air intake and the squirrel climbed up on to my hand, I lifted him out and put him in the ground. "There you go little guy go find a nice tree to rest in." The squirrel looked at me for a bit and then it ran away in to the woods.
"That could have ended up really bad if that the little guy had gotten deeper in the engine." I was done with everything the same moment that Rainbow arrived. She came flying down from the clouds and landed on the field. I heard her asking the other ponies where I was. So I walked out from the trees and made my presence known to her.

"I am right here!" I said walking up to her sporting the same expression I had when I first challenged her. She turned to look at me.

"So where are you wings? I thought we were going to race. Or have you decided to chicken out at the last moment hmmm?" I looked for Scootaloo in the audience hearing the word chicken. And sure enough she was standing with her fellow crusaders, it looked like they were talking to Applejack who had now caught her breath after carrying me here. I smiled a little and looked back at Rainbow Dash. She too had that same challenging look on her face that she had the evening before.

"You will see my wings soon enough. I can guarantee you that you will not have that confident look on your face when you do."

"Ya, Ya you better talk now because you will not talk so much when you are my servant for the rest of the day."

"We will just have to see about that." I looked back at the crowd that had been gathering around us and called out. "Hay Filtter, Cloudchaser. You guys in there?!" The 2 Pegasi I had called for came out of the crowd, they both greeted me with a.

"Hey K nice to see you again. Whats up?"

"Could you two do I and Rainbow a favor and assemble some clouds to serve as a start and finish line about fifty meters up from the ground?" The 2 Pegasi ponies looked at each other, agreed to the task and just a moment later they had finished the mission and set up a line of clouds about fifty meters up in the air.

"Rainbow." She looked at me and with my most serious poker face I said. "You go and wait up by the starting line, I will be there in a few minutes."

"See you there and don't-keep-me-waiting. She pushed her face closer to mine with each word.

"I won't, but before you go just listen to this first." I had a message to deliver to the spectating ponies.
"Alright everypony! Listen closely because I am only saying this once! When you start hearing a strange sound coming from behind the trees over there.’ I pointed at the trees behind me where my F35-2s was hidden. "You have to back up and cover your ears... This is going to get really loud!" I looked back at Rainbow.

"OK Hotshot let’s see what you can do."

"I was about to say the same thing." She said before flying up to the starting line.
I went to my jet removed all the camouflage and climbed in. I began by putting my helmet on and then connected the mouth peace to the air supplier, and then I decided that I wanted some flying music for this race so I pulled out my PDA and placed it in a special slot that connected it with the helmets speakers. After a little bit of scrolling I found the perfect track for this, it was an instrumental song that came from a fighter simulator game I played when I was younger.

I started the song and the plain at about the same time and as the intro played I made a fast systems check. Battery: Check, Engine: Check, Flaps Check, I went through the list of Checks and 2 minutes and 30 seconds in to the song I started directing engine power downward to get the plain to lift of. The engine roared to life and I was above the trees less than 8 seconds later.

As I came over the treetops I could see all the ponies that where spectating, they had covered their ears as I had asked them to do. I waved from my cockpit and some of them even waved back realizing too late that they let go of their ears as they did, which subjected them to the sound of the roaring engine so they quickly cover their ears and continued watching as I maneuvered the plane to the starting line where Rainbow dash was waiting. I almost started laughing when I saw her face. She looked so shocked and nervous but she tried to hide it best she could.

"Ha-ha told you you wouldn't be so cocky when you saw my wings." When I had lined up at the starting line a Pegasus flew up with the familiar black and White race flag in his mouth. He held up the flag and Rainbow assumed her starting pose and I prepared to direct the downward going thrust to backward going thrust. The song was still playing in the helmets speakers and I loved every bit of it. And just as the intro of the song passed. (03:13)

Swish! The race flag dropped an Rainbow thanks to her light weight was off in a flash of color getting a good head start but this only made her over confident so she slowed down after a while which gave me the time I needed to accelerate. I caught up to her before we had gotten to Cloudsdail and at this point I was just toying with her, as I approached her I went inverted and matched my speed with her so that I was right on top of her, she was so close that If she lifted a hoof she would have been able to touch the canopy of the jet. If she looked worried at the starting line then she was looking downright terrified now, but who could judge her? I would be scared beyond belief if I saw a jet for the first time that had a Grim reaper painted on it flying mere inches above me.

When I had had my fun I rolled over to her right side, gave her a little wave and pushed the throttle a bit further. We were only going at 600Km\h when I could see a cone starting to form around Rainbow Dash witch meant that she was about to perform her sonic rainboom.

Not wanting to take any unnecessary risks that could damage my plain I decided that it would be safest to get a little bit of distance between us. It was only moments later just as we reached Cloudsdail that she performed the sonic rainboom. Twi had been right she did seem to be going at the speed of sound.
But I was not worried, I know I can go faster than that but I held back during the turn around Cloudsdale knowing that the G-forces would be too intense if I went supersonic.

I started to turn and the familiar G-forces started to kick in, 2Gs, 3Gs, 4Gs, 5Gs. Even with the G-suit squeezing the lower part of me I had to start flexing my leg and abdominal muscles to pump blood up and in to my brain so that I wouldn't pass out, the G-forces topped at about 7Gs. But as soon as the turn was complete I pushed the throttle to absolute maximum. Now I could feel a different sort of Gs, ones that were pushing me back instead of down and I could feel how the plane shook as I went supersonic but unlike Rainbow Dash I was still speeding up and got to my top speed of over mach 1.8 witch was almost two times faster than her.

I had no problem to catching up with her and as I passed her I did a barrel roll as to tease her a bit. The finish line was now visible and I could see Rainbow Dash in the rear view mirror and she wasn't catching up any time soon. I passed the finish line and as I did I performed one of the signature moves of The Grim reapers in which I pull back on the stick and start going straight upward rolling as I ascended. The Gs of the turn where brutal however. The systems indicated a bone crushing top force of 12Gs. Good thing they did not last for long.

I continued to climb and when I rehashed the altitude I was aiming for I stopped the engine completely and the plane started to fall like a rock as I was restarting the engine. I entered a dive and just as I was getting close to the ground I pulled back on the stick and leveled out just 30 meters over the ground just as the song in the helmet speakers ended.

After my little stunt I made one more fly by so that I could slow down the plane to make a vertical landing in the middle of the field. As I did I could see Rainbow Dash siting by her friends having bitter look on her face. When I had completed the landing and powered the F35-2s down I climbed out of the seat, put my helmet under my arm and started to make my way toward the spot where Rainbow Dash and her friends where.
It was harder than I had expected due to all the ponies that wanted to congratulate me on my victory. Just when the whole thing seemed to be getting impossible AJ broke out from the crowd and tackled me to the ground yelling.

"Yeehaw! I told you that you would win."

She said whilst rubbing my hair with one of her hoofs. I laughed as I playfully tried to get AJ to stop. When she was done with her congratulations she helped me stand up again and then she also helped me to get through the crowd of ponies. Finally I got to Rainbow Dash and the rest of her friends I crouched down to match her at eye level and I spoke.

"Thank you for an amazing race Rainbow Dash that is something that I will never forget." I held up my hand and waited for her to respond. She did eventually but the hand/hoof shake was a halfhearted one. She looked at me and said.

"I hate losing. You won the bet so what do you want?" With a bitter tone. That's right the bet. I was so lost in the moment I had forgotten all about it.

"Don't be disappointed in yourself Rainbow, I only beat you because my wings pack a couple of thousands of horsepower. As for our bet I am not going to force you to do anything, but I am going to ask something of you"

She looked up at me with an angry expression.
"Don't try so sugarcoat it just tell me what do you want already?" Before answering I looked over to Twilight and asked.

"Hey Twilight when and where is the next Best young flyer competition held?" She thought for a bit before answering.

"Well the when would be about 2 months from now and the wear would actually be right here in Ponyvile. Why do you want to know?"
Without answering her question I turned my attention back at Rainbow dash. Putting a hand on her shoulder and looking her in the eye I asked.

" Rainbow Dash you are the winner of the best young flyer competition aren't you?" Immediately some of her attitude returnees to her as she saw an opportunity to brag.

"That would be correct my two legged fried." She said puffing her chest out whilst examining one of her front hoofs as she did. But suddenly her face turned pail as if she had realized something horrible.

"You are not getting that crown from me it is mine!"

"Ha-ha you totally misunderstand Rainbow. I don't want your crown. What I do want is for you to be my wingmare." Rainbow did not look angry any more.

"What? What are you saying.”?

"What I am saying is that you and I can put on a show for all the ponies that will be attending the competition." She was now looking at me and a big smile growing on her face.

"And if that is not tempting enough for you I can tell you that where I come from I am second in command for one of the best flight groups around. So If you are willing to train and train hard I bet we can put on one heck of a show at the best young flyers competition, one that will wow everypony there, even the Wonder bolts." Her smile had now grown so big that even Pinkie Pie had to be impressed.

"Oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh! I am so up for that. When do we start training?" She was now back to her usual self-confident and happy self, using her wings to hover right in front of my face. I smiled right back at her.

"I knew I could count on you Rainbow. We can start in a few days, I just want to get to know Ponyville and all its residents a bit first."

"You got it two legs. Just let me know when you are ready so we can get started." She held up the bottom of her right front hoof and added. "Don’t leave me hanging. Wingman." I smiled and held my tightened fist up against her hoof. She smacked my fist so hard that I could hear some of the joints in my hand crack. My face twitched in pain.


"Ops sorry about that." She smiled sheepishly at me. "I can get a bit rough when I am hyped up."

"Yeah no kidding." I said as I rubbed my sore knuckles.

"He-he let me make it up to you"

"How are you going to..." Before I had time to finish my question Rainbow flew forward and hugged me. It was a worm and comforting hug. "Well that was unexpected." She started to let go but I stopped her by hugging her back. "I didn't say stop."
She laughed a bit and leaned back in to the hug.

"You know what this calls for!? Gasped Pinkie Pie pulling her party canon out from seemingly nowhere.
" A PARTY!!!"

POOF!

Author's Note:

This is what my dream was about, I have planed on making future chapters if some one wants to read about it.

A big thank you to jplsnake252719952012 for helping with spelling and grammar.

Comments ( 6 )

What about fuel

Where does k get his fuel from

Favoriting to see what will happen with this.

2272136
I have plan for that.
It will be explained in the next chapter if I get down to writing it.

2278540is it applejack's cider

2282963
:rainbowlaugh: Nice idea but no, it is not Applejack's cider.
I am only going to say that the fuel involves some twilight magic mixed with some human engineering.

Very interesting story, I am looking forward to continuing and more. Good job👍👌:twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment