• Published 10th Dec 2012
  • 1,272 Views, 8 Comments

A new kind of flier - Karlsson



K is a pilot, second in command of the Grim Reaper squadron. He brings death from above on Earth. Is that a good fit for Equestria? Will he be able to find a purpose in a in a world full of colorful, peaceful, talking ponies?

  • ...
19
 8
 1,272

Arrival

My name is Kim, but almost everyone calls me K for some reason. I am an F35-2s pilot. An F35-2s is based on the F35 the biggest difference being that the 2s version is a 2 seater that gives the possibility to add a copilot to help out with complex tasks like navigation and it is always a good thing to have someone keeping an eye on your tail when engaged by multiple hostiles. I am second in command of an elite flight squad called The Grim Reapers.

We are one of the world’s best mercenary squadrons who offer all kinds of services from acrobatic flight shows and simple escorts all the way to missions that are to risky for "normal" squadrons. All of my wingmen have at least 12 confirmed aerial kills each and a lot more ground kills witch places us among the most effective pilots in the world. You don't get to be called a Grim reaper for nothing you know.


The day that would change my life forever had started like any other day. The Reapers had been scheduled to do a flight show over some huge gun festival in the Nevada desert. I got up did the preflight checks of my F35-2s with the rest of my unit. The maintenance crew where responsible for arming the aircraft with soft ordinates. We had to use soft ones do to the fact that we would be engaging one another during the show. I was loaded with a full set of cinematic ammo for the Gatling gun and with 2 internally stored Joint Direct Attack Munitions or JDAMs for short. They had the same guidance systems that the real thing had but the warhead had been replaced with deadweight, the actual explosives would be placed by the target making it look as if the bomb was real when it hit.

After takeoff and a 20 minute trip at cruising speed me and the captain arrived at the gun festival, the other 6 members where already there worming up the crowd with simple things like formation flying .They finished up and returned to base when me and the captain arrived to let us do our routine which consisted of varies stunts like barrel roles, lopes and attack runs where I dropped the JDAMs on a building that had been filed with the explosives I talked about. After the booming run the main event started in which the captain being "The good guy" was supposed to engage the hostile aircraft that had bombed an important building.

The captain had been loaded up with sidewinder missiles armed with cinematic warheads that would detonate a safe distance away from the target plane but it would still be close enough to make it seem like a hit. As it started the captain called me via radio.

"Reaper2 this is Reaper1 beginning engagement over"

"Reaper2 Rodger that. You better stay frosty captain I am feeling lucky to day"
I said even though I knew that the captain was supposed to win this.

"Ha-ha, Rodger that. By the way you might want to check your six"

And shore enough there was the captain lining up a shot.



"Way ahead of you old man. Dumping speed!"


"Rodger"



I pulled back on the stick and the throttle at the same time witch maid the plain turn its nose up, but it stayed at the same altitude, the result being that my speed decreased dramatically witch put me behind the captain allowing me to fire at him. The dogfight lasted about 3 minutes. It ended with me having to give the captain an opening so he could get a lock and fire his sidewinder.



When we landed at base, all the others were just finishing up with moving there plains in to their hangars. I on the other hand had a mission to do during the night to come so my F35-2s was moved to the arming station where I was briefed on my mission. It was a hit and run strike on some kind of rebel base in the Caribbean with possible enemy fighters involved. I told the engineers to arm the plane with 2 JDAMs and 2 sidewinders all of witch where internally mounted, the Gatling gun was loaded with armor piercing explosive rounds. I would not be joined by a copilot on this mission so the backseat was loaded with survival supplies like MREs, a first-aid bag and an AK-4c carbine with ten mags of ammunition so I could survive till rescue arives in the event that I had to make an emergency landing some were inhospitable.



After that the squad had the rest of the day of, everyone but me went to the barracks to socialize but I had been kind of a loner ever sense my parents dyed. After that I really only cared deeply about 2 things in my life, the first being my F35-2s. She is a beautiful piece of engineering with a base color blacker then the darkest night and the Grim Reaper painted on the topside. The second thing was the My Little Pony Friendship is Magic series. I had even named my F35-2s after the series. When I joined the Reapers I had to pick a 2 letter code for my plane, I called it RD witch in military means Romeo, Delta, but what I was really thinking of was the colorful Pegasus Rainbow dash.

I had often dreamed about flying with her even before I joined the Reapers. Little did I know that it would not be just a dream mush longer.

As the rest of the day went on I mostly stayed by RD, I had been placed on quick response so I had to be able to get airborne in just a few minutes, everything I needed was already in the plane like the G-suit and helmet with built in targeting systems. I only left her to grab a snack or something of the like. Evening came and a storm starter to come in, it would not be a problem for the mission because the F35-2s is an all whether plain. When the first drops of rain started to fall a member of the maintenance crew told me to come inside. I told him about my situation and that I would be fine inside the cockpit.

So I climbed in closed the hatch, pulled on the G-suit and placed the helmet in my lap. I had always liked lighting and thunder so this would be awesome chance to witness the beauty of mother nature’s wrath in all its glory. As the storm got more intense lightning started to strike around the air base, I was getting more excited and nervous as the shots of lightning got closer and closer. Then the lightning just seemed to stop for a while until a bolt shot wright down on to the jet I was sitting in and everything turned dark.