• Published 16th Nov 2012
  • 7,646 Views, 387 Comments

The Rustic and The Romantic - TheLastBrunnenG



The Farmer and The Fashionista, The Orange and the White, The Barn and The Boutique

  • ...
29
 387
 7,646

Happily Ever After, Checklist Never Ending, Part 2

Wedding Planner’s Journal, Volume 2, Phases IV, V, VI, VII

HRH/PC T. Sparkle, coordinator.

Phase IV, T minus 6 weeks

INVITATIONS. All invitations have been mailed, couriered, or dragonfired. Still no response from the Oranges in Manehattan, however. I love our resident Ponyville mailmare Derpy dearly, and it will take a months’ stipend with of muffins to explain why I shipped all the invitations to Canterlot and Cloudsdale and had them re-mailed from elsewhere. Rainbow asked why Derpy was even invited to the wedding; I promised her there wouldn’t be anything tall, heavy, and breakable nearby.

RINGS. With unicorns it’s easier; we can always get a ring horn-fitted, which is what Luna and I did. With Pegasi and Earth ponies, the usual options are to get matching hoof-bands or have smaller rings set as pendants for necklaces. In truth it’s really just a formality for the ceremony, as married ponies don’t typically wear their rings full-time (again, Luna and I are an exception). This will be the case for AJ and Rarity, as their work lives would make wearing rings or necklaces cumbersome and even dangerous. Still, they wanted matching rings, so Rarity agreed to forego the usual horn-ring and agreed to necklaces instead. They picked gold bands with platinum filigree, and they’re gorgeous. Rarity declined to have a jewel set on hers – when you can find a bucket of diamonds just by concentrating on a patch of dirt, the gesture means more than the stone,

CAKE. The Cakes will supply the cake as their gift to AJ and Rarity, with Pinkie’s help. I trust them to moderate her choices a bit; there’ll be enough fireworks at the wedding without cakes that explode into smaller cakes, which in turn explode into cupcakes, which was coincidentally how Pinkie described her first design.

MARRIAGE LICENSE. This went surprisingly painlessly. My compliments to the Mayor on the smoothness of this process. Oh, how I do love filling out a good, well-organized form!

MAKEUP AND MANE STYLISTS. I let Rarity handle this one, and Applejack was about as thrilled as I expected. Rarity noticed AJ’s distress and promised her that she’d keep the “frou-frou nonsense” to a minimum. I know Rarity’s been dreaming of her wedding day for years, and having to tell Aloe and Lotus to keep their hooves off her fiancée left her face twitching for days.

Phase V, T minus 4 weeks

MENU. Applejack’s family will supply a cornucopia of apple-related desserts, treats, and main dishes. Few ponies know that Sweet Apple Acres also grows a vast variety of vegetables (even carrots! Don’t tell Carrot Top.), herbs, and other fruits, so the menu won’t be all Apple apples.

FLOWERS. Fluttershy knows all the flower vendors in town and has a fantastic garden of her own, and has agreed to coordinate the floral arrangements. Apparently Roseluck, Daisy, and several other florists in Ponyville owe her major favors. For what, I didn’t ask.

Phase VI, T minus 2 weeks

SEATING. Most of this wedding and the attendant reception will be standing room only, and the meal will be buffet-style, so there’s no assigned seating. For the wedding itself, Rarity asked for traditional Bride’s Side and Groom’s Side (or in this case, Other Bride’s Side) seating. Applejack suggested we eliminate the “sides” and seat close family in the front and allow friends and extended family to mingle as they arrive. Rarity’s developing a facial tic, I think, but she agreed.

DRESS FITTINGS. This is Rarity’s moment to shine, and it seems to have disappointed her that everything went perfectly. Her designs were so flawless that not a single pony needed even the first stitch altered. Fluttershy offered to make up a complaint; it was a touching if slightly absurd gesture.

VOWS. Luna is the officiant and must approve all alterations to the traditional Royal Canterlot wedding script. That’s the official position. Behind the scenes, I’ve managed to convince her that culture, society, and yes, even the sacraments have moved on in the last thousand years. Our own ceremony was highly non-traditional because of the lack of precedent for Princesses getting married, so she doesn’t have much to go on. Rarity and AJ can thank me later for eliminating the “wife is chattel” and “second through fifth wives’ approval not required” passages.

Phase VII, T minus 1 week

LAST MINUTE. The individual tasks at this point are multiple and relatively minor thanks to thorough pre-planning. Arrival times for all parties have been confirmed. Hotels have been reserved for those out-of-town guests not staying with local friends or relatives. I scoured the wedding grounds for hidden Party Cannons, just in case; I’m not sure Granny Smith’s heart can take another point-blank confetti blast like the one at the rehearsal.

Addendum, T minus 1 day

SUPPLEMENTAL. It’s the night before the wedding. All checklists are completed and all plans have unfolded without a hitch. Everything is as ready as it can get for AJ and Rarity’s big day.

Except that I can’t find Applejack.

Author's Note:

TMP Prompt # 208.

Never fear! Resolution to the cliffhanger is already written.