• Published 16th Nov 2012
  • 7,629 Views, 387 Comments

The Rustic and The Romantic - TheLastBrunnenG



The Farmer and The Fashionista, The Orange and the White, The Barn and The Boutique

  • ...
29
 387
 7,629

Answers Above

A snow-furred pony stood under towering trees and swaying branches, the night sky cloudless and sparkling above. Though the evening air blew cool and dry, she shivered visibly. Clearing her throat she lifted her head with unsteady pride, squared her jaw, and spoke aloud.

“Good Sir, Good Madam, I do apologize for the late hour of my visit. I hope you shall forgive me this little oversight. And doubly so, for I do realize that this is our first visit. Oh, the impropriety! I am quite embarrassed at this turn of events, for it was my fondest wish to meet you before today. My thanks as well for allowing me the convenience of a visit at this late hour. Perhaps at some other date we can discuss pleasantries and the small things of the world, but tonight I have a most pressing and quite personal matter to discuss.

“Your hospitality know no bounds, and it shows in your family. To a pony they are kind, generous, and loving, each and every one a hard worker and a fast friend. None of them have ever met a stranger, and from the most rambunctious and precocious filly to the quietest and strongest stallion they are the finest ponies I have had the pleasure of meeting. All that is certainly a reflection on yourselves. I have heard tales around the dinner table and the bonfire about their years with you. However difficult their lives may have been, however rough or hardscrabble their upbringing, your children are quite wonderful and I am blessed to know them. All this too is a reflection of you - your teaching, your upbringing, and the values you gave these ponies in their youth. For that I thank you most humbly, for the ponies you raised are like a family to me.

“It is the subject of family, you see, that brings me here tonight. Sir, Ma’am, I confess, I have fallen in love with your eldest daughter. We met some years ago and became close friends. I believe at the time she found me too proper, too wedded to a love of high society and what she so quaintly called the ‘highfalutin’ life’ to see in a romantic light. And I as well found her perhaps too rustic, too rough, for what I thought were my oh-so-refined tastes. Oh, how wonderfully wrong I was!

“Through mutual friends we shared many adventures and with each one we became closer. I saw in her a vibrant natural beauty and unparalleled strength of both body and character. I was taken, heart and soul. I am head over hooves in love with her and I cannot imagine my life without her.

“Therefore I come before you tonight to request your elder daughter’s hoof in marriage. Please forgive my nerves, my dears – I have never been so sure of anything in my life, yet here I stand, shaking before such fine and kindly ponies. We two are mares, I realize, and I hope you can find it in your heart to bless our union. I can think of no higher honor than to take a place within your family. Whatever you may decide, I thank you both for entertaining my request tonight. Good day, Ma’am, Sir, and thank you again.”

From somewhere beyond the heavens two brilliant lights winked into view and streaked across the sky, flaring bright and briefly, Luna’s stars bowing dim and deferential before them,

The alabaster mare still stood rooted to the spot, her eyes skyward and her muzzle wet.

Minutes or perhaps hours later she found an orange hoof around her shoulder. “Sorry to put y’all through that, Rares. I know y’all probably think that was silly an’ sentimental, my folks bein’ gone an’all, but… Well, I appreciate that you went through with it, sugarcube.”

Rarity sighed deeply and smiled. “Not silly at all, Applejack, dearest. Quite the opposite, in fact.”

Scratching a hoof in the dusty orchard path, Applejack stared downward, her voice low and quavering. “So, did, uh… did y’all get an answer?”

Turning and gently lifting the farmer’s muzzle to meet her own, Rarity whispered, “How shall I put it, my dear?” Pausing, she lay a tender kiss on top of Applejack’s muzzle and asked, “My love, how does a winter wedding sound to you?”