• Published 27th Oct 2012
  • 11,085 Views, 603 Comments

My Little Halo: Survival is Magic - Dusk Writer



Master Chief on Equestria. What will happen?

  • ...
55
 603
 11,085

3. Sleeping and Waking in the Dark

As the giant metal object crashed and skidded into the middle of the Everfree forest, Twilight and Luna yelled for all of the ponies present to brace themselves for the incoming shockwave. As the pegasi took to the air, the earth ponies and unicorns got as low to the ground as they could. All of them except for Pinkie, who was still standing, excited for the incoming earthquake. At the same time, she was expecting it to be as small as the one that occurred during the stampede that Applejack was able to stop. She didn’t know for once how wrong she was. While her Pinkie sense told her that an earthquake was incoming, it did not tell her how big it would be.

When Pinkie was sent flying into the air, nopony was actually worried that she would get hurt; it was Pinkie Pie after all. Then, in the middle of each of their thoughts, something happened to all of the ponies present that had a horn, namely the unicorns and a single alicorn. They each got a splitting migraine, causing them to fall to their knees in pain. What then happened however, was something none of them would have expected. They heard a cool female voice speak within their mind.

“Mayday Mayday. This UNSC FFG-201 Forward Unto Dawn, requesting immediate evac. Survivors aboard. Prioritization code: Victor05-3-Sierra 117.” the smooth voice said. The words each of them had heard in their minds halted once the rest of the object slowed to a stop in the middle of the Everfree forest.

“Twilight, Rarity, are you ok? You an’ all o’ the unicorns collapsed to the ground. It was lookin’ a lot like y'all was in pain.” Applejack said as she came up to her fellow elements of Magic and Generosity, a look of worry written all over her face. “Mind tellin’ us what caused it? Or do you know?”

Strangely, for the two of them, the headache faded at the same time as the voice. "Sorry AJ, I honestly have no idea what that possibly could have been. Although, it seemed to have come from the object." Twilight said, mind already beginning to analyze the voice and the words it had said. Could this possibly be a new life form? How did they speak the same language?

Her mind continued on this track as the rest of falling pieces from the object fell to the ground. The fire that encased them began fading as well. Well, except one appeared to be moving on its own and was still on fire. As Luna and the Elements watched, the burning piece changed course changed course from going straight downwards, to an almost horizontal trajectory. Not only that, but it was also heading in the direction of Ponyville.

As the residents watched, the smaller object hurtled over the library at impossible speeds that impressed even Rainbow Dash. It then landed in the middle of the forest; about fifteen miles from the original object according to Cheerilee. The event only caused curiosity this time however. Nopony was all that worried since this object was hundreds of times smaller than the original object, but how had it changed direction as if it had a mind of its own?

As Twilight and Luna discussed what to do, Rainbow Dash got herself ready to follow the small object. Twilight turned and stopped her just in time with her magic, "Rainbow, you can't go out there tonight. Luna and I have decided to go on an expedition find what this could be. She's going to go and tell Celestia what we're going to do and see if she'll come with us. Whatever it was you were planning on doing tonight, it will be a lot safer to do in the morning." Twilight concluded her plan to everypony. When she saw nods of agreement, she let go of Rainbow Dash. "We'll rest tonight and gather resources. In the morning we'll head out in the direction of the smaller object, see if we can't discover what it was. Then we'll go to Zecora's hut and see if she'll accompany us to the larger one and see if it's dangerous or not."

Twilight looked around the group and asked if any of them would be willing to accompany the elements and the princesses. When nopony raised their hoof, Twilight couldn't blame them. They would just have to go with a small group of guards to travel fast.

"Okay everypony! See you see all in the morning!" Twilight said as she went back inside the library, closing the door behind her.

"Hey Twilight, what was that big thing that fell into the forest?" Spike asked, having been awoken from the sonic boom.

"I don't know Spike, but I'll know more when we find it tomorrow." Twilight stated as she got a pair of saddlebags out of the chest at her bed. "I need your help though. Could you find me the books of translations, first contact scenarios, and the teleportation scrolls? I may need to get everypony out of there in a hurry and it'll help to have those preset teleportation spells ready."

Spike hastened his pace to get all of these things put together, not once questioning the first contact scenarios book. It was Twilight after all, and what she did was almost only her business.

Once they got everything she would need put together, Twilight took the yet again tired baby dragon up to bed with her. "Night Spike. I'll be gone when you wake up in the morning, so don't forget where the food is." Twilight said as she placed him into the small bed next to hers. When he replied with only a small grunt, she smiled to herself and climbed into her own bed, preparing herself for what was to come the next day.
~~~~~~~~~~
Thirty minutes earlier
~~~~~~~~~~

"Hold onto your helmet!" Cortana yelled, as the pod was ejected from the Forward Unto Dawn with a bone-rattling jerk as it was shot out into open air. "Well Chief? What are we going to do now?" Cortana asked quizzically as they free-fell through the air.

"Once we land, gather resources and set a home base point. We'll go from there." Master Chief finished quickly as they hit a bit of turbulence that would have made him bite his tongue off. As he watched out the small window, he saw what looked like a Middle-Aged city perched on the side of a mountain. Suddenly, the pod jerked sideways, changing course from the plains the he had originally planned on landing in towards a thick forest. But then, the pod rotated just in time for Master Chief to see a small village with a large group gathered around a tree through the flames in front of the protective glass. He only caught a glimpse of the village as rocketed towards the foreboding forest and then only time to think, "Good, there's civilization." As soon as the thought finished, he crashed into the ground, uprooting a few trees in his way. He was unconscious immediately.
~~~~~~~~~~

"Ugh." Chief groaned as he picked himself up off of the ground. As he stood up, he looked around. All he could see were trees, vegetation, and the trail he had left coming down. He looked up and found that the foliage was so thick that the sunlight could only get through and touch the ground in very few spots."Cortana, have you been able to figure out where we are?" Chief asked his A.I. partner.

"No I haven't," Cortana began with a frown, "This planet hadn't been discovered by the UNSC when we had left. We'll just have to presume that we happened to run into it." As Chief looked around some more, he and Cortana both began to realize that something seemed off. Chief was the first to notice what it was.

"Cortana, the colors of the trees, they're wrong." Chief said with surprise, but masking it with his usual seriousness. "Shouldn't they be many different hues of color? They each seem to be just one color and no shading." Cortana was about to reply when they heard the snap of a twig. "What was that?" Chief asked, bringing his assault rifle to bear.

"Unknown, but whatever it is, it's not alone." Cortana replied as figure on four legs stepped out of the bushes and snarled at Master Chief. "It looks to be some type of wolf native to this area." Cortana said as five more of the wolves emerged from the thick forest and slowly began to surround the Chief, making a total of six. He couldn't see the wolves as well as he had hoped, since one jumped forward to attack what it thought would be easy prey.

"Hah!" Chief yelled out and dodged to the side, bringing his hand down in a fist on the back of the creatures neck, snapping it. "That's odd, something felt different when its neck broke." Chief thought as he whirled and put his hands up in time to keep the second wolves jaw from biting his helmet. He promptly tore off its bottom jaw and pulled out his pistol, shooting the next two in the head, killing them instantly. The Chief pulled the fifth one to him, pulled his combat knife out of its sheath, and drove into the chest of the beast. He turned one hundred eighty degrees and aimed his assault rifle at the last one. The wolf backed away and ran back into the forest after it saw what had happened to its pack mates. All of this happened in six point seven eight seconds according to Cortana's timer.

Now that the battle was over, Chief bent over to examine one of the bodies. "What? That can't be right!" exclaimed Cortana.

"What's wrong?" Chief asked quizzically, wondering what could possibly make Cortana react so strongly. He felt the cool presence in his mind swirl with thought, then a small jolt, not unlike a static shock, in his mind as his visor flashed red. "I'll ask her about it later when we have a safe place to stay." he thought.

When Cortana finally answered him, he could hear her trying to get a hold of herself. "Chief, these wolves, they're made completely out of wood. There are no flesh organs in the entire body."