• Published 28th Oct 2012
  • 2,943 Views, 173 Comments

Out of All The Worlds... - gordobraveheart



I need to get the ponies back to their world. No matter the cost..

  • ...
11
 173
 2,943

Scavenging For Food.

Scavenging For Food
Detroit, Michigan.
8 days before Halloween
Edited by Sandover

“Did you know you're all my very best friends?”

The theme song ended. I paused the show by pressing the ‘X’ button on my PS3 controller. I had just finished watching Nightmare Night, and now I was beginning the episode of The Cutie Pox. I took out my cellphone from my right pocket and checked the time.

“8:30.” I said to no one. Moving Nino from my side, I got up and turned off both my PS3 and my flatscreen. I stretched my bones, hearing them pop. Satisfied with the felling, I called my dog and walked out of my room, Nino behind me.
Once again entering the kitchen, I took out the packet of bacon and opened it up. I turned on the stove next, placing a pan with corn oil inside on top of one of the burners. Waiting for the stove to heat up, I walked out of the kitchen with my dog following.

Entering the living room, I turned on the lights, looking around. The leather couch was on the far right of the door, with the bigger, fabric couch on its left side. They were both facing the T.V, which was just a big, old school Memorex T.V. It was on top of a dark brown table, the Dish T.V. box on the lower right side. Behind it, windows were boarded up, keeping some of the sunlight out of the house.

The floors were worn out, plastic squared tiles. Most of them were scratched and torn from the ground, since they don’t usually last for long. On the bottom, was the hard wooden floor. The walls were an ugly dark green. One of the walls was vanilla colored, stains of dirt and cracks covered some of it.

Not the best house, but it gave my family and me a roof over our heads.

The table was small and rounded; nothing special about it. I peeked behind the curtains of my windows, which were on the right side if you entered the room from the kitchen, left side if you entered the room from the front door.

There, I saw a small picture of my dad and my mom. It was their wedding photo, framed a good 20 inches for people to see whenever they walked into the house. I sighed, knowing I would never see them again. Dad on the other hand....

I turned back around to my kitchen, and quickly placed the bacon strips on the sizzling pan.

“And bacon strips, and bacon strips, and bacon strips, and bacon strips, and bacon strips, and bacon strips...” I said, placing the strips one by one. The delicious scent filled my nose, making my stomach grumble. I look over to my dog, whose stomach was also grumbling. I smiled at Nino, took about 6 strips of sizzly, bacon-y goodness and placed it in front of him on a small plate.

“Eat; I need you to be strong when we go out there.” I smile at Nino. He wasted no time eating the strips. I turned back to my food, grabbing a plate and placing the bacon on top of it. Next were the eggs. I took some out from the fridge: Two for me and Two for Nino.

I cracked the shells open, placing the golden yolk on the still sizzling pan. Eating bacon is great, but eating bacon flavored eggs with bits of bacon in it? Still surprised I didn’t die.

After a good 5 minutes, I placed the eggs in front of us, the smell of bacon bits and eggs filled our nostrils. We wasted no time eating them. I took the plates and dropped them into the sink, washing them. I took one look in the fridge, sighing at the things we needed.

“OK, Nino, we’re going to need more eggs, more bacon, fresh milk, bread, more meat, and if we’re lucky, some sweets to keep us up.” I said, closing the fridge door behind me. Nino nodded his head, tongue flapping out. I walked to the back of the stairs, checking the coat rack for my hoodie. Since it was October and Nino and I live in Michigan, I decided to grab a coat or something so I wouldn’t be cold when walking outside.

I grabbed a white hoodie; green symbols were covering the sleeves, while a French cross covered the chest area. Unfortunately, the zipper was broken, so I couldn’t zip up for warmth. Putting it on, I closed the door behind me and walked towards the back door.

I took a deep breath and exhaled. Unlocking the door, I opened it and walked outside. The stairs were worn out, almost falling out of place. There was a big, leafless tree in the backyard, branches touching the back of my house’s walls. On the ground was just dirt and leaves. No grass. My garage door was open, signaling that someone must have entered inside of it.
Stepping out and touching the cold dirt, I look around for any zombies, hoping none were in sight. “It’s OK Nino, there’s nothing here...Yet.” I said, walking towards the garage. Nino growled behind me, letting me know that some would show up soon.

I slowly walk into the garage and turned on the lights. Thankfully, I saw no zombies, but I did see a large, brown dog hunched over something. I walked towards it, but immediately regretted it.

In the dog’s mouth, was a small puppy, its body covered in blood. The thing I noticed about this dog was patches of its fur falling off, revealing blood stained pink skin. Its eyes were white and its jagged, sharp teeth were flashing through the puppy’s body.

“Shit,” I muttered. I took a few steps back. “Calm down, I’m not gunna-”

“GRRRR!” The zombie dog growled. It seemed angry that I tried to step away, as it got up slowly. I tried to grab the nearest object I could find, but nothing was in sight. The zombie dog charged at me, knocking me down onto the hard, cold dirt floor.

“FUCK!” I shouted. The dog was snapping its blood covered mouth at me, trying to bite off my face. I grabbed the beast by its neck, choking the damn thing. I punched it in the nose, hoping it would back off. The fucking dog didn’t even wince. I only made it angrier.

“GRRRR!” It said, still trying to chew my face off.

“FUCK YOU TOO!” I shouted.

The dog’s jaws were only inches away from my face, blood spraying on my cheeks. I kept my face to the ground, making it harder for Fido to eat me.

“BARK! BARK, BARK!!”

The zombie dog was pushed off of me, and I quickly got up to my feet. I saw Nino on top of the dog, his jaws piercing its chest. It winced in pain, snapping his jaws at Nino. Nino jumped away from the zombie dog. The two dogs were staring straight into each other’s eyes.

“GRRRR!”

“GRRRR!”

The dogs were circling around each other, growling and snapping their jaws. Trying to help Nino, I tried to run back into the garage and grab something useful, but Nino stopped me. He growled at me, letting me know that he could handle it. Worried, I just stood there.

“GRAAAGHH!!!!” I heard the zombie dog say. He lunged towards Nino, aiming for my dog’s neck.

Nino was smart though, he moved out of the way, leading the zombie dog into the hard bark of the tree with a loud CRACK!

The dog stumbled back and forth, its head cracked open and gushing blood.

But Nino wasn’t done yet; he ran up towards the left side of the dog and opened his jaws wide, clamping them shut on the zombie dog’s neck. It winced in pain and yelped, but it could not do any more, thanks to Nino snapping its neck in the process. The dog laid there, dead, its head cracked open, still gushing blood with its neck ripped apart. I look at my dog, Nino, whose fur was covered in blood. Not too much, but enough to look at my dog differently. I walked up to my dog and patted him on his back. He stopped being in offensive mode and nuzzled my leg. I was a little creeped out at my dog’s lips, which were covered in blood, but I paid no mind.

“Eso es Nino. That’s how we do it.” I knelt down and hugged him, glad that he saved my life. He licked my face, getting some of the blood on my cheek. “Ew...” I shivered.

Walking back into the garage, I looked around for anything useful. On the far right of the garage, I saw a small glimmer of light. “What’s that?” I asked myself. I walk towards it, and a large smile plastered my face.

Picking it up, the axe did not weigh as much as I thought it would, but even if the blade of the axe looked blunt, it was sure as hell sharp. “Now all I need is a chainsaw, a boom stick and a double chin.” I chuckle, walking out of the garage.

I notice Nino lying on the ground, bored out of his mind. Walking next to him, I pat my lap, signaling him to get up. Following me, we walked up the back door and locked it, making sure nothing could get inside. “Let’s go Nino. We gotta get some food for us.” The dog nodded his head, following me through the side of our house, closing the small gate in the process.


Nino and I walked in the middle of our street, looking around for any zombies. When the coast was clear, we quickly sprinted our way behind the church that was just at the corner of my street. The church was next to a little school, where children at the grades of Kindergarten through third grade attended. Walking behind the school, I noticed how windows were shattered, and doors were barged open. Not wanting to go inside, I quicken my pace towards the street with stores. I only stopped when I noticed the massacre of the church. Taking steps closer to the barely guarded gate, I noticed that doors, as well as windows, were either broken, burned or left untouched by bloodstains. It was a gruesome sight, but what really sent chills down my spine, was a broken, large wooden cross, engraved with Spanish lettering:

“¿Dónde está tu Dios ahora?” The words gave me goosebumps, filling my heart with doubt.

“Where is your god now?” I quoted the engraving. “He’s up there... I know he is.”

Walking away from the church, I made a left and walked through the street. In front of me, were rows of stores, and barber shops. At the far end of the street was a McDonalds, A Horsepower gas station and a freeway that lead to the nearest mall. I walked down the middle of the road, keeping my eyes and ears open for anything strange. Everything was quiet. Too quiet.

“Nino, lets walk faster, I know where we should go... Plus, I don't wanna be out here, knowing that they’ll come unexpectedly.” I said to my dog. I started running towards the store I wanted to be in. Surprisingly, I didn’t break a sweat.
Entering it, I was surprise that it wasn’t messier than I expected. The entrance doors’ glass was shattered, blood splattered on the ground. Rows and rows of food were already empty, opened up, or were knocked down. Crumbs were left on some of the shelves, along with droplets of blood. Shivering, I gripped the axe even harder, my dog’s footsteps and my own calming me slightly.

I walked towards the end of the store, where a kitchen and butcher shop was located. Pots and pans littered the floor, along with various piles of food, flies buzzing above them. “Fucking sick.” I muttered. With one sleeve, I covered my nose, breathing through my mouth. Nino didn't like the smell either, so he tried staying as far away as possible from them.

Walking behind the counter, I noticed that some of the heavy machines that cooled the meat were broken. Glass littered the hard, stone floor, along with rotting meat. Not liking the scent, I almost threw up. I began walking away, until I remembered something that made me grin.

“The cash register.”

I walked over the rotting pieces of meat, avoiding any contact with it. I reached the register, and counted all of the money I found. Grabbing a nearby bucket, I tossed all of the change into it, making sure not to drop a single dime. Placing the bucket down and sealing it with a lid, I continued for the rest of the money. As much as I didn’t want to steal, I needed the money. I counted ten 20’s fifteen 10’s, five 5’s and twelve singles.

“387 dollars. Not a lot but it’ll do.” I said, picking up the bucket in one hand and shoving the wad of cash in my pants. I grabbed my axe and made my way towards the exit. Before I left however, I noticed a shiny, meat cleaver lying on the bottom of one of the tables. I picked it up, feeling its wooden handle. Grinning, I put down the bucket, took off the lid and shoved the cleaver inside, placing the lid back on top of it. I looked down at my dog and gave him a sad expression. “Sorry Nino, there’s no good food here. At least we got some cash...”

He hung his head, disappointed that we could not find food. I gripped the bucket in my left arm and the axe with the right. “Maybe we’ll find another store with fo-”

*CRASH!!*

I stood silent. I felt my blood run cold as I stood there, staring at my dog with horror in my eyes. I heard him growling, and my fears only increased. I turned around slowly to the sound of moaning and bones snapping. My fears were confirmed. Behind me was not just one zombie, two, no not even three.

But a whole fucking crowd of them. At Least 13.


“Shit!” I shouted. They all turned their heads towards me and slowly began walking towards the counter. I ran to the back of the store, my back held up against the cold, metal surface. The crowd took no time at all, cornering me. My dog was by my side, growling at the walking dead. I gripped my axe in fear. I had never actually killed a zombie, and now, I guess I had too. They came closer, all of them moaning and mindlessly bumping into each other in the process. I raised the axe above my head, ready to attack.

KRAKA-BOOM!