• ...
2
 53
 797

PreviousChapters Next
Season 2: Episode 7 - The Big Storm

"Scootaloo, there's something you wanted to show me?" Rainbow Dash asked the orange filly as she was escorting the cyan pegasus to somewhere in Ponyville. That's when they came across it, some kind of really burnt down house.

"...We're here..." Scootaloo said.

"What is this place?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"This...was where I was living before the allyway." Scootaloo said. "It had been just a regular day in ponyville. There was that big storm that I'm told wasn't scheduled."

"Oh yeah. I remember that. Took a lot of us at the weather factory to get that under control." Rainbow Dash said.

"Wait, you work there?" Scootaloo asked.

"Yep. I'm actually the manager of the sector that covers Ponyville. But that day of the storm your talking about, was the same day something went wrong with the weather machine. It was all hooves on deck to get the machine fixed and get that unexpected storm under control. Heck, I was the one who actually stopped the storm from getting any worse." Rainbow Dash said.

Scootaloo's eyes went wide. "You mean that's why the skies cleared up shortly after...wait, I'm getting ahead of myself." She said.

"Well...I didn't do anything complicated. All I really did was give that machine a strong enough kick to dislodge it." Rainbow Dash said.

"...That's rather anti-climatic." Scootaloo said.


"Well, at the very least, dislodging the machine was simple yet effective as it allowed the storm to finally be brought under control after eighteen hours." Rainbow Dash said. "It...it was the longest workday in the history of the weather factory."

"I-I kind of wish maybe...maybe some pony had done something like that sooner. Then maybe I wouldn't have had to live on the streets to stay in Ponyville. There's no orphanage here as you know, and I didn't want to leave. The only friend I had was Sweetie Belle." Scootaloo said. "But I really, really didn't want to leave her."

"What do you mean?" Rainbow Dash asked. "Who lived here with you?"

"My aunts. This was actually their house. A few months ago from before I met Sweetie Belle, my aunts were looking after me for my parents who did a lot of traveling around the world for one reason or another. During that time, I would always stay with my aunts. But the thing is...the thing is one day...one day we got terrible news." Scootaloo said.

"You don't have to say anymore. I get what kind of news you got." Rainbow Dash said.

"...Thanks." Scootaloo said. "Anyways, because I was always being looked after by my aunts, it was easy for them to gain custody of me. But during the big storm, they had gotten trapped in the collapsing building." She said looking up at the destroyed building. "They managed to free me before getting trapped, and encouraged me to escape."


Flashback...

"Scootaloo...you have to run..." One of Scootaloo's aunts told her. "You need to escape."

"D-don't worry, I'm going to get help for you. I'll be right back with help." Scootaloo said as she quickly headed outside.

I quickly rushed out of there as quick as I could on my little legs. Scootaloo's voice said in a voice over. I wanted to go get them help, I was holding out hope that I would make it to City Hall or the Hospital; one of the two to get some help! But just as I a good distance away from the house...

CRASH! BANG!

...I heard the most awful sound of my entire life. A sound I'll never forget. Scootaloo's voice said in a voice over. Hearing the sound, I slowly turned my head towards the house, and was met with a dreadful sight.


Present day...

"...The sight I saw when I turned my head around...is the very one we're looking at now." Scootaloo said, looking at the destroyed building. "From what I understand from the report I was able to sneakily read, a load bearing wall's support beam snapped under the pressure the house was experiencing from the big storm. And that's what caused the rest of the house to collapse; burying my aunts alive in the process."

"I don't know much about houses I'm afraid. I'll have to ask Twilight what a load bearing wall is." Rainbow Dash said.


"What? What do you mean you don't know what a load bearing wall is?!" Rainbow Dash suddenly excalimed.

"I meant what I said. Look, just because I read a lot of books doesn't mean I know everything." Twilight said.

"Pardon me one moment..." Maxwell suddenly said.

"...I sometimes forget these hamsters hang around outside their new clubhouse." Rainbow Dash said.

"Did you mentioned something about a load bearing wall?" Maxwell asked.

"I did yes." Rainbow Dash said.

"Well, I'm actually currently reading a book on building structures. It says here that a load bearing wall supports the structures above it. Whether that be the roof, or an actual second floor of a building." Maxwell said.

"So then...that wall was supporting the floor I was sleeping on..." Scootaloo said. "That...that just makes the fact that that was why the entire building fell to pieces even harder on me to know..."

"It's not your fault." Rainbow Dash assured Scootaloo.

"Why are you even asking about a load bearing wall anyways?" Maxwell asked.

Sometime later...

"Oh. I see. I understand now." Maxwell said. "Then Rainbow Dash is right. There was nothing you did, or even could've done. In fact, based on what you've told me, I'm willing to bet the sound you heard, was the support beam snapping in two, and then the house collapsing afterwards."

CRASH! BANG!

"Seems the support beam just couldn't take that much pressure from this big storm and just snapped." Twilight summerized.

"Th-that's what the report I glimsed at was saying too." Scootaloo said.

"So you see, there was nothing you did do and nothing you could have done to save them. Think back, what were your aunt's last words to you?" Maxwell asked.

"Scootaloo...you have to run..." One of Scootaloo's aunts said. "You need to escape."

"She...she told me to run...that I needed to escape." Scootaloo said. But then, in her minds eyes, she rembered that one of her aunt's eyes wasn't focused on the orange filly.

It was looking off to the side, towards a wall that had been ripped apart by the storm. And upon realizing that, Scootaloo's eyes went wide. "Wh-what's going on Scoots?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"...The support beam...my aunt saw it..." Scootaloo said. "She...she saw the support beam...she must've realized it wasn't going to hold...not for much longer under those intense winds..."

"Then it seems, you know the truth: In her last moments, the only thoughts running through your aunt's head, was your own saftey. Their last act...was to encourage you to live." Maxwell said.

"I...I don't believe it..." Scootaloo said.

"I think...tomorrow, you should gather Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle. There's a spell I'm wanting to cast so we can do something, and I think it's time to do it." Twilight said. "It should do you some good."

Author's Note:

Please note, the storm mentioned here is not the same one from the sleepover episode. This storm is taking place BEFORE the events of the first episode; in fact, a whole year before Twilight even went to Ponyville.

PreviousChapters Next