• Published 9th Aug 2023
  • 473 Views, 27 Comments

CYOA: The Athlete - Forward Slash



A classic CYOA with Rainbow Dash acting as the love interest of this story.

  • ...
 27
 473

Rock

Re-arranging your fingers, you get yourself mentally prepared for your performance. You fiddled with a few dials on the amp, before taking a deep breath.

Swinging your arm, you focused on the placement of your hand to properly convey the right notes. Instead of the standard soft strums that would normally leave the guitar, roars of scratchy chords filled the room as you played one of the most recognizable riffs in America.

Oh, this is gonna be fun.

Continuing the opening riff, you see the group's face light up as they recognize the song, with Cheese clicking his sticks together to count the rest of the band in.

The tension rose as you finished the starting riff, but it all washed away once the rest of the band joined in. First Cheese, but then the rest of the room began erupting into a collection of similar notes, all following the same beat that you had introduced, removing the initial fear from your body.

You weren't here as a test - you were just here to have fun.

The noise increased suddenly as Timber's vocals filled the air, giving you a sense of familiarity as the band joined together to produce the popular rock song. He could certainly sing, that's for sure. His voice closely mirrored that of the actual lead singer.

Your muscle memory kicked in as the drums continued, resulting in your fingers dancing along the fretboard seemingly out of your control. With the stereo to your right blasting decibel after decibel of powerful chords, the outside world began to blur as the 6 of you jammed together. They were all very skilled with their instruments, and it was evident they cared about their musical weapon of choice just as much as you do. It felt like you were back at home in your bedroom, playing along to the original track itself - the practice you had put in back then was certainly not going to waste now.

The group were dancing together in tandem with the beats you were producing - Timber was the most active because he didn't have anything in his hands, so he would occasionally gesture to a band member with a smile when their instrument was the focus of specific parts of the song.

You know from listening to the song so many times that a guitar solo was quickly approaching, and you see him turn towards you with a sly smirk on his face - he obviously knows it too.

As you mentally run through the notes, Timber suddenly points both fingers at you as the band opens the soundwaves for your performance!

Do the solo by the book.
Really hammer it to impress your bandmates.