• Published 28th Jul 2023
  • 584 Views, 57 Comments

Twilight & Friends - The Complete Season 1 - ThomasZoey3000



Twilight Sparkle returns home to the Island of Sodor to reunited with friends, and to be drawn into crazy adventures.

  • ...
9
 57
 584

Fluttershy, Toad and the Whale

Twilight & Friends

A Thomas & Friends/My Little Pony: Equestria Girls Crossover

Written by: ThomasZoey3000

Episode 7: Fluttershy, Toad and the Whale

(Based on the Season 19 Episode "Toad and the Whale")

On a beautiful summer's morning, Fluttershy was leaving her house and heading off to the local animal shelter. She loved the summer months, for it's at that time of year when she gets off school and can help the animals more than she normally could during the rest of the year. As she left her house, she was humming a cheerful little tune to herself.

Not everyone was in a cheerful mood though as they were grumbling about Sodor's latest heat wave. Over the last couple of days, the temperature had been rising and the hotter it got, the more grumpy people became. Steam engine crews suffered more than everyone else as they had to work in engine cabs. The engines suffered too as the heat of their fireboxes made them hotter than they already were.

Fluttershy was coming up to a railway station when she noticed Diesel the Class 08 shunting.

"What are you so cheerful about?" he asked crossly.

"It's a beautiful day. The sun is shining, the birds are singing and there are no clouds in the sky, it's just so beautiful."

"I'll never understand kids like you. Always being on the cheerful side when the heat is getting to the rest of us. If you complained, I wouldn't mind at all."

A sharp whistle was blown and Diesel stopped grumbling.

"Oi, leave that girl alone Diesel!" snapped Neville the Black Q1 tender engine. "If you worked more and stopped thinking about the hot weather, maybe you wouldn't be so miserable. Now shunt your trucks and be off with you. Oh and take that rubbish that's spilling out of your mouth with you."

Diesel spluttered, but rumbled away without word.

"Thank you for defending me Neville," Fluttershy said kindly.

"Anytime, we all must stick together," he smiled. Then he sighed, "mind you, it is hot today. Oh well, a cool drink of water will help cool me down." He pushed his goods train into a siding, then went to take on water.

Fluttershy waved goodbye to Neville, then continued on to the animal shelter.


Meanwhile, on another part of the island, another goods train was rattling down the tracks. The engine pulling it was a Great Western auto tank with four driving wheels and the numbers '1436'. He was called Oliver. Behind his train of trucks was a grey brake van that came from the Great Western railway, his name is Toad. Normally he works with another engine called Douglas, but both he and his twin; Donald were busy on a project hardly anyone knew about, so Toad had to work with Oliver.

The weather was getting to Oliver, but not to Toad, he was enjoying the weather like Fluttershy, and was even singing.

"Oh I do love to be beside the seaside, I do love to be beside the sea."

"Who can honestly sing on a day like this?" grumbled Oliver.

"Calm down boy," said his Driver firmly, "if Toad wants to sing, it's not our place to tell him that he shouldn't. It'd be like someone telling you not to blow smoke out of your funnel."

Oliver gave in then and let Toad sing some more. However, it wasn't long before it got to him again.

Duck was puffing along on the other line with Alice and Mirabel, his Great Western auto coaches, and he hummed along with Toad's singing. "Quite a tune he's singing there, don't you think Oliver?"

"No I don't," he said angrily. "This is what happens when Toad's in a good mood, but it's driving me bunkers."

Toad stopped singing, "I'm sorry Mr. Oliver, I didn't mean to make you cross."

"I understand Toad, but it's better if we worked in peace and quiet during this heat."

"Oh lighten up Oliver," said Duck. "A little singing isn't going to hurt anyone. Rainbow Dash will back me on that one." And with that, Duck puffed on ahead of Oliver.

It wasn't long though till Duck stopped at a station where he found another girl working on the platform, and doing her best to make sure it was neat and tidy. It was Samantha Glimmer, otherwise known to everyone as Starlight Glimmer. She was not happy.

"Why do I have to clean the platforms? It's not my fault the dog ran away."

Starlight was still being punished for what she did to Rock the dog, and for lying to her parents. Her mother, worst of all, and she was the Stationmaster.

Duck took no notice, as it was no use trying to talk to Starlight. Oliver shot past with his goods train. Toad wasn't singing now.

"Cheer up Toad!" Duck called, "the weather's bound to cool down soon."

"I hope so Mr. Duck!" Toad called back.

As Oliver and Toad rounded a bend, Toad saw something on the beach, "Mr. Oliver! There's a whale on the beach!"

Oliver didn't believe him, "Singing is one thing, but telling jokes is another matter all together. Now please be quiet and focus on the job at hand."

"But Mr. Oliver..." Toad sighed and gave in. It was no use talking to Oliver that day, "as you wish Mr. Oliver."


At the big Station, Oliver puffed in with his goods train. He left Toad on a siding and puffed off to collect other trucks to take back down the line known as the Little Western. From where he was, Toad could see Fluttershy handing out flyers for the animal shelter. On this day, some people ignored her, but others did stop and take one of the flyers from her.

"We do hope you'll help our animal friends," said Fluttershy, "many of which won't survive if we don't do something."

As she continued with her work, she could see Toad in the siding and looking sad. She asked the Stationmaster if she could go over and talk with him, to which the Stationmaster gave her permission, but to be careful. Fluttershy made her way safely over the tracks and soon reached Toad.

"Hello Toad, why are you so upset? It's a beautiful day."

"It was Ms. Fluttershy, but it's turned to a bad day thanks to Mr. Oliver."

"Why is that?"

"He stopped me from singing, and then he thinks I'm joking about a whale on the beach. But I wasn't joking around, I did see a whale."

"A whale on the beach? Oh my, that's not good."

"He imagined it!" puffed Oliver as he returned with his next line of trucks. "All the heat of the sun is just going straight to his roof, that's all. I wouldn't believe him Ms. Shy."

"It's Fluttershy, but what if Toad is telling the truth?"

"If he was, someone would've reported a whale on the beach, but no one has."

Toad was soon coupled up to the train, and Oliver puffed off back to the Little Western.

"I'm used to it," Toad said as they departed, "he used to discount my words back on the Great Western. It's just who he is."

But Fluttershy wanted to know if there really was a whale on the beach. She made her way back to the station and spoke with the stationmaster, "when's the next train for the Little Western?"

"Ten minutes. Duck will be here soon to pick up passengers for that train."

Fluttershy thanked the Stationmaster, then made her way to the ticket booth.


The journey back down the Little Western was quiet. Oliver was relieved to be working in peace and quiet, but Toad was still cross, "I did see a Whale Mr. Guard. You believe me, don't you?"

"Of course I do, I work with you and Douglas all the time, so I know you better than Oliver does."

As they made their way to the spot where Toad spotted the Whale, Oliver looked for himself, but saw nothing. "See Toad, it was all in your head, there are no whales on the beach. Besides, Whales don't come out this far."

The only reason Oliver didn't see the whale was because a sign was blocking his view of the whale, but Toad had a clear view.

"Mr. Oliver, I am seeing a whale and it looks sick, we need to help it!"

Oliver rolled his eyes, "I'll put him in the shed when we get back to the yards, that should help him deal with the heat. Though I wish I could say the same for us, whew!"

They rolled past with a sad looking Toad looking back at the Whale.

Ten minutes later, Duck's train came into view. Briefly, he thought he saw something on the beach, "hullo, what was that?"

"What was what Duck?" asked the Driver.

"There's something big on the beach, but the sign was blocking my view. Can you see what it is?"

The Driver looked back, but before he could say anything, Duck heard the voice of Fluttershy call out; "there is a Whale on the beach!"

"Oh my," gasped Duck. "How did a whale get stuck out here?"

"The tide must've gone out earlier," said the fireman. He looked back at the Whale, "by the looks of it, it's been there for quite a while. I'm surprised no one saw it before."

They soon stopped at the station. Fluttershy was already on her mobile phone and calling for help, "I'm not joking, there is a whale on the beach. Please hurry, we don't know how long it's been there."

"Right don't worry, we're on our way," came the reply.


A little later, Oliver was shunting his trucks under a bridge like structure called the chute. This is a place where the ballast from the Alresdale Miniature Railway is loaded onto the North Western's trucks. Bert the Blue small engine was shunting his trucks onto the chute.

"Whew, it's hotter up here than it is down there," he remarked.

Rex the green small engine was nearby and was being given an inspection, "better keep Mike away then. With his red coat, it's bound to make him crosser than he already is."

Bert chuckled and rolled his eyes, "don't we know it." Then noticed Toad, "Hullo Toad, what's the matter?"

Before Toad could say anything, the yard foreman ran up to Oliver, "leave those trucks please Oliver, there's an emergency and you need to bring water tankers down to the beach."

"Eh? What for?" he asked.

"There's a whale trapped there. The fire department needs more water to keep it alive."

"See Mr. Oliver, I wasn't joking or imagining there was a whale on the beach!" Toad called out. Then he remembered his conversation with Fluttershy, "she must've made the call."

"But that's not possible," gasped Oliver. "Whales don't come out this way."

"Yeah well tell that to the creature that's trapped on the beach. Flynn's already waiting, so be quick now, I'll have Dennis the diesel take the ballast away."

"Yes Sir," said Oliver, but he still wasn't sure if this was all real. After all, for years, he had never seen a whale, so why was there one now?

Still, he collected some water tankers, had them filled up, and once coupled up to Toad, the Great Western auto tank engine rattled off back down the branch line.

"Stranger things have happened on this branch line," commented Rex.

"Indeed," agreed Bert, "but I think this is the first time someone didn't believe what they were told."


"It can't true, it just can't be true," Oliver puffed to himself. However, when he got to the beach, he could finally see the Whale. "Oh no, there is a whale. You were right all along Toad."

"I did tell you, but you wouldn't believe me Mr. Oliver."

Flynn the fire truck was waiting next to the nearby siding when Oliver and Toad arrived. The fire crews wasted no time, they placed their hoses into the tankers, then using the pumps from Flynn, they shot the water onto the whale. Before Oliver and Toad had arrived, the fire crews, along with the vet and Fluttershy had covered up the whale to protect it from the sun and dug trenches to help keep it wet.

"Oh sure, mess up all my hard work," snapped Starlight, "running over here with muddy boots and dropping water everywhere. If I had it my way, I wouldn't allow these fools into my station."

"They needed the equipment to help the whale," the Stationmaster said firmly. "Besides, your way always gets you in trouble, so be quiet Starlight."

Starlight said nothing more, and went back to her work.

Fluttershy came over to speak with Toad, "how's it doing Ms. Fluttershy?" he asked.

"Not good, it's been there for about two and a half hours. If Oliver had taken you seriously, it would've received help sooner." She looked back to Oliver, who said nothing, apart from the grumbling about the heat of the sun.

Moments later, a breakdown lorry named Butch arrived. It was decided to try and move the whale closer to the water. The vet checked the distance to the water and discovered a problem.

"You'll never be able to pull the whale that far Butch," he said to the breakdown lorry. "It won't survive going that far of a distance."

"Oh bother," groaned Flynn who overheard everything. "Guess we'll need to come up with another plan."

"Or just wait till the tide comes back in," said Oliver. "It's simple, and it works."

"But that could take hours Mr. Oliver," said Toad. "And I don't think the whale can wait for hours." Fluttershy shook her head in agreement, then Toad came up with an idea, "why not pick up the whale and take it to the docks? One of the cranes could lower it into the water."

"Oh Toad, let these people do their job," Oliver snapped. "They know how to help animals, and you don't."

By now Fluttershy had had enough of Oliver's attitude, "I know the bad weather is getting to you, but that's no excuse to treat Toad like this. He's only making up a suggestion, which could work, but you keep dismissing him. Douglas would never do that."

"Toad's only a brake van, so what does he know? For that matter, what do you know? You're just a little girl."

"That's enough Oliver!" snapped his Driver. "One more outburst like that, and I'll make sure the Fat Controller locks you up in the shed. We cannot have bad manners like that on the railway."

Fluttershy and Toad agreed with him.

"Actually Toad's idea does sound good," said Flynn, "and it's worth trying." He called over the fire chief, "Sir, Toad's got an idea to help the whale."

"Really? What's the idea?"

"Well why not pick up the whale and take it to the docks?" Toad suggested. "The water's deeper there, and it can done in a matter of an hour."

The fire chief thought about it, then agreed to give it a try. He got out his mobile phone and called the Fat Controller. Fluttershy whispered to Toad, "great idea Toad."


Back at the yards, Diesel was once again shunting. Neville was also there. He had just brought his goods train in and was ready to collect his passenger train. However as he went to the turntable, the Fat Controller ran over and stopped him. "You'll need to collect the cranes, a brake van and a flatbed."

"That's an interesting load Sir, may I ask why?"

The Fat Controller explained about the beached Whale and Toad's idea. Neville didn't need to be told twice, he collected Judy and Jerome the breakdown train, a flatbed and a brake van. As he was being coupled to the brake van though, there came a cough and a splutter, then he could see smoke coming from Diesel.

"My engine's overheated, I need help! Steamer, push me to the works!"

"Sorry Diesel, but you'll have to wait while we help the whale."

He then puffed away backwards down the line. Diesel groaned, and felt worse when he saw the Fat Controller come over, "engines on my railway do not boss each other around, or speak rudely to each other. I know about your outburst earlier Diesel, and I think it would only be fitting for you to sit there until tonight."

"Yes sir," sighed Diesel.

"I'll have another engine do your work in the meantime." And the Fat Controller left to make the arrangements, leaving Diesel to sulk in the siding.


At the sight, Oliver cleared out of the siding and Neville shunted Judy and Jerome into place. Oliver gave up Toad to Neville so Fluttershy and the vet could keep an eye on the whale during the run. Flynn thankfully is a road rail vehicle, so he could still keep the whale wet as long as the hoses between him and Oliver's tankers didn't snap.

Butch towed the whale as far as he could, then it was up to the breakdown train.

"Do be careful with the whale Ms. Judy and Mr. Jerome," Toad said worryingly.

"Don't worry Toad, we're being careful," said Judy. "Are you ready there Jerome?"

"Yep, I'm ready over here Judy."

"Then let's lift together."

Carefully they lifted the whale off the beach and gently placed it on the flatbed. Then the rescuers tied it down.

"It does look sad," said Toad, "I wish there was more we could do for it."

Fluttershy suddenly came up with an idea, "I heard that whales love singing. So why don't you sing to the Whale Toad? It could help the poor little dear."

"Are you sure about this?"

"Oh yes I'm sure."

"When it comes to Fluttershy's knowledge of animals, she knows what she is talking about," said the vet. Oliver heard, and said nothing as he looked down to the ballast. The vet called out to the Driver, "start Neville slowly and gently!"

Neville resonded by going slowly with the flatbed in tow. Toad started to sing, "oh you do love to be in the water, oh you do love to be in the sea." Flynn followed close by on the other line with Oliver puffing behind him. He wanted to go faster to get out of the heat, but that would only cause more trouble, so he decided not to.

People came out to see the unusual sight as the engines rattled past.

"Well I'll be, there really was a whale on the beach," gasped Applejack.

"And look, there's Fluttershy on the train," said Rainbow Dash.

Applejack squinted her eyes and smiled, "that's our Fluttershy, always willing to help an animal."

Toad continued to sing, but he was getting worried, "are we almost at the docks Mr. Neville? I don't know how much longer the whale can last without being in the water."

"Just another couple of minutes Toad, don't worry, we're almost there."

A couple of minutes later, they arrived at the docks. One of the cranes was ready to help. It's hook was lowered down to the whale's net, and once everything was secured, the crane lifted the whale off the flatbed.

"Good bye and good luck!" Toad called, "I hope you find your family soon!"

Although the operation took less than a minute, it seemed like ages before the whale was back in the water. Toad was worried though, he couldn't see the Whale anymore. Fluttershy looked and cried out, "it's okay! It made it Toad!" In the distance they could see a jet of water shoot into the air, then came a happy splash as the tail smacked into the water.

"Oh you're welcome," smiled Toad.

This was the signal for cheers from cranes, engines and staff. Toad's idea had saved a life. Everyone praised him, and even praised Fluttershy for sounding the alarm, and for her assistance.

Oliver now felt guilty. He puffed over beside Toad, "I'm sorry I didn't listen to you Toad, I guess the heat was getting to me."

"Ahem," came another sound. It was Fluttershy, staring firmly at Oliver.

"And I'm sorry for being mean to you Fluttershy. Turns out you two do know what you're doing. I promise never again will I dismiss warnings or suggestions when it comes from you, or anyone around here."

"Good lesson to learn Oliver," smiled Neville. Fluttershy and Toad agreed. "Well I got to go, I have to shunt a grumbling shunter to the works cause of his overheated engine. See you all soon." With a blast of his whistle, Neville puffed off.


At the beach station, Duck arrived with the ballast trucks. He stopped near the siding and collected Judy and Jerome. He still said nothing to Starlight Glimmer as he puffed away. Starlight wasn't even paying attention to him, she was looking out towards the water. She could see a lonely sailboat with one man in it. The man was looking threw his telescope, then he pulled on a rope and the boat floated away.

"Wait a minute, that couldn't be him. Could it?"

However, she would keep what she saw to herself. For now.