• Published 28th Jul 2023
  • 584 Views, 57 Comments

Twilight & Friends - The Complete Season 1 - ThomasZoey3000



Twilight Sparkle returns home to the Island of Sodor to reunited with friends, and to be drawn into crazy adventures.

  • ...
9
 57
 584

Rarity's Collection

Author's Note:

Since this is set in the 2015, this chapter reflects the original merchandise like Take-N-Play, Wooden Railway and the rest, but none of the future ones. Though they might get mentioned in future seasons.

Twilight & Friends

A Thomas & Friends/My Little Pony: Equestria Girls Crossover Series

Written by: ThomasZoey3000

Episode 4: Rarity's Collection

If you were to ask any of Rarity's friends of what she loves most of all, apart from her friends and family, or her father's engine, she will tell you that she has a passion for fashion. She loves designing new dresses and outfits that will hopefully be shown around the world for all to see. But there is something else about Rarity that most people don't know, and that includes her friends. She collects a certain set of toys to display in her bedroom; the Learning Curve Take-Along and Fisher Price Take-N-Play Thomas & Friends trains.

When she was younger, Rarity first spotted a Take-Along James in a local toy shop and instantly fell in love with the little model. As time went on, Rarity would go from shop to shop, buying as many toy trains as she could. To this day, the models she has are the same ones she bought long ago and are still in good condition. She bought as many as she could, and was lucky to get them all before they were discontinued in 2009. Then when the Take-N-Plays started coming out, she started collecting those as well, even though some looked similar to the Take-Alongs. She soon discovered though there were differences like in the paintworks and many of the faces were different too.

Although the Take-N-Plays had changed over the years, Rarity continued to collect them, and to this day, she nearly has all the first set of Take-N-Plays that were available until late 2013. For the second set, which came with the new wheels, Rarity has about forty of them, and the new third set, which came with the new magnets, Rarity only has fifteen of them. She doesn't mind though, she loves the thrill of the hunt.

However, she fears that if people found out that she collects these little toy trains, she would be laughed at and teased to no end. She knew people didn't mind that she was the daughter of James' Driver and loved steam engines too, but the toys would be another story, so that's why no one knew of her passion for these toy trains. Only Andrea Arkwright, her baby sister who is often called 'Sweetie Belle' by her friends, knew of her secret. Rarity dreaded the idea of word getting out.


One afternoon, some time after the incident at the Big Station, Applejack was at Rarity's house trying on a new outfit that she had made for the country gal's upcoming family reunion.

"Hmm, not bad," commented Rarity as she looked at the dress, "however it seems bland to me, maybe if I add some apple designs on it..."

"Oh now that would be awesome Sugarcube," smiled Applejack.

"Very well then, apple designs it is."

Applejack then got off the stage and went to change back to her normal attire. As Rarity waited, the doorbell rang. She went to answer it and was greeted by Tom Tipper the Postman.

"Good afternoon Miss Rarity, I have another package for you. It's come all the way from Canada."

"Oh good, it's arrived," smiled Rarity. She signed off on it, thanked Tom Tipper and accepted the package. Tom tipped his hat and walked away. Rarity wanted to dig into the package, but then remembered Applejack. "Uh Sweetie Belle," she called as quietly as she could so Applejack wouldn't hear.

"Yes Rarity?" called the voice of her little sister.

"Please take this to my home and put it in my closest," and she winked to Sweetie Belle. "I can't let Applejack see this."

Sweetie Belle knew right away of what it was, and with a wink, took the package and hurried off to Rarity's room. Moments later, Applejack came out with her normal attire on.

"Who was that at the door Rarity?" she asked.

"Oh just Tom Tipper, he brought over a package I'd been waiting for."

"Some new fabrics I assume?"

"Not quite, but it's something I've been wanting for some time."

Applejack was confused, but shrugged it off and thought it might have something to do with Rarity's fashion passion. She handed back the dress, tipped her hat and headed off to catch the next train to Wellsworth.

Rarity sighed and went up to her bedroom. She walked into her room and brought the package over to her desk. She carefully opened the box and reached into it, pulling out three new Take-N-Plays known as the Push & Puff series. The engines were; Thomas, Percy and Victor the Works Engine. She took the time to look at the packaging, she then took photos of the engines in the boxes, as that was her thing, and finally opened up the boxes.

Sweetie Belle gave a special knock before walking in. Rarity allowed her in and showed her the models.

"How do they work?" Sweetie Belle asked.

"Well you press down on the button on the top of the cabs, and smoke and steam come out." She demonstrated by pushing down on the button on Thomas' cab, and clouds of smoke and steam came out. "I really like these models and I'm glad to add them to my collection, but remember..."

"I know, I know, don't tell anyone about them," sighed Sweetie Belle. "You say that every time Rarity, yet I don't tell anyone."

"I know Sweetie Belle, I just want to make sure this secret stays between us."

She got up from her chair and brought them over to her closest. Inside were shelves full of her Take-Along and Take-N-Play trains. She placed her new models alongside the new Take-N-Plays with new magnets. She sighed happily, then closed the door of her closest.


Several days later, Twilight was hanging out with Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy at Knapford Mall. They were catching up on old times when Pinkie Pie noticed Rarity walking by.

"Hey Rarity!" she called.

Rarity heard and waved nervously before continuing on. Pinkie Pie's eyes narrowed into a firm stare, "she's up to something."

"What makes you say that Pinkie Pie?" Twilight asked.

"I know looks on people's faces, and the look she gave was the look of nervousness, which means she's hiding something."

"Oh Pinkie, I'm sure she's just worried about keeping to time. Maybe she's gotten an order for some of her dresses and has to get back to keep to time."

"I don't know, the look didn't show that."

Twilight shook her head, "how you come up with these things I'll never know."

Rarity often looked over her shoulder, then went into a big shop that sold everything from food, drinks, clothes and even toys. She had to pick up some food and drinks as she was running out, which took no time at all, but before going to the check-out counter, she went over to the toy selection. She checked out the Take-N-Plays and found two she was looking for. A second version of what Belle the former British Railways 4MT tank engine looks like on the television series, and a unique Henry the Green Engine with an old style face.

"I never thought I'd find this one," she thought to herself. "I have to get it for my collection."

She picked them up, put them in her basket and began to make her way to the counters. However, as she walked out of the toy section, she spotted Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy and Twilight Sparkle walking into the store.

"Oh no, I can't let them see my new models," Rarity groaned.

So she turned and tried to find a way to get to the clothing section. If she could get a sweater, she could hide the models from her friends. It wasn't easy, but she got past them and picked up a sweater to cover the items. She sighed with relief.

"Whatcha you doing?" cried a voice, which made Rarity jump. She spun round and saw Pinkie Pie standing behind her.

"Pinkie Pie, don't do that!" cried Rarity, "you nearly scared me out of my wits!"

Twilight and Fluttershy then walked up, after hearing Rarity's scream, "sorry about that Rarity," said Fluttershy. "But Pinkie suggested we come into the shop to see what you're doing."

"I'm just getting some things for my home," she replied, "that's all."

"Are you sure?" Pinkie raised an eyebrow. She looked down to Rarity's basket, "you look nervous there Rarity."

"Am I? Cause I'm not nervous, I'm just shopping, that's all."

Pinkie looked to the sweater, "don't you usually make your own clothes Rarity? Why are you buying a sweater?"

"I...I..." Rarity tried to think of a reason to explain the sweater she was about to buy and get Pinkie's attention away from her basket. "I'm going to add some patterns to it. It looks great so far, but with patterns, it will look spectacular."

Pinkie wasn't convinced. "Well it makes sense," said Twilight. "We won't keep you from doing what you got to do, will we girls?" Twilight asked. Fluttershy nodded, but Pinkie Pie still wanted answers. To her, none of her friends should hide secrets.

"Right, well I'll see you all later."

With that, she turned and walked away. The three other girls went off to get some snacks, but Pinkie Pie was still not convinced that Rarity was telling the whole truth.


Later that day, they met up with Applejack, Rainbow Dash and Sunset Shimmer at Sugarcube Corner, a little snack shop in the town of Ffarquhar. Pinkie was still thinking that Rarity was hiding something and told the other girls about her concerns.

"Well now that you mention it Pinkie, just the other day, I was Rarity's and she got a package from somewhere, but she was hesitant in telling me what was inside it," said Applejack.

"Sometimes she's at the Crovan's Gate gift shop when she comes to the Skarloey railway," said Sunset, "and I've noticed everytime that she's always careful not to lean back too far in her seat. It's like she trying not to crush something in her backpack."

"It could just be fabric she doesn't want to wrinkle," suggested Fluttershy.

"I don't think so Fluttershy, the gift shop doesn't sell fabric or any type of clothing."

"Now that is odd," said Rainbow Dash. "But if she is hiding something, why is she doing it? We're her best friends after all."

"I don't know why," said Pinkie Pie, "but I say we get to the bottom of this." She reached into her own backpack and pulled out fake glasses with a big rubber nose and a mustache.

"Pinkie, that's not going to work. Rarity will spot you in an instant."

"We'll see," Pinkie Pie said with a sneaky tone in her voice.


Several days later, Pinkie Pie got her chance as Rarity was at the mall again, and doing some shopping for fabrics to use for new dresses. Twilight Sparkle was tagging along with Pinkie Pie.

"How did I get talked into this? Sneaking around and following Rarity."

"Shh," whispered Pinkie. "We're never going to find out what she's hiding from us if you're talking out loud."

Pinkie Pie was extremely good at hiding, though there were occasions when that wasn't true, and today was one of those days. She was wearing a trench coat and had those silly glasses on. Twilight was merely looking at a book and sighing over Pinkie's decision.

Still, the duo watched as she went into the fabric store to get her fabrics and threads to keep everything in place.

"Seems like a normal shopping day to me," whispered Twilight.

Rarity soon walked out with the bags in her hands, then walked past, not seeing the girls at all, somehow. Twilight shook her head, "see Pinkie, we're wasting our time over nothing, she doesn't have anything to hide."

Before Pinkie could reply, she and Twilight heard some beeping. It was coming from Pinkie's mobile phone.

"Ohh, I got a text." She pulled it out and read the message out loud, "it's from Applejack, she writes 'Rarity has gone into a toy store'. You sure you don't want to change your opinion?"

"Maybe she's getting Sweetie Belle a birthday gift."

"Sweetie's birthday is not for a long time Twilight. She's definitely up to something, and we need to find out."

She started walking away, but Twilight had stepped down on the trench coat. "If you're going to follow her, and who are we kidding you are, then get rid of the disguise."

Pinkie groaned and removed the trench coat and the glasses.

"Can I still wear the mustache?"

"No," Twilight answered while shaking her head.

Pinkie sighed and removed the mustache. Then she and Twilight joined Applejack and Fluttershy as they went into the toy shop.

Rarity meanwhile knew nothing of them following her, so she went over to the section of the shop with the Take-N-Plays. There were loads of them that she really wanted, but could only get seven of them.

"Which ones to go with? Oh it's so hard to figure out."

As she thought over the choices, her friends watched her, all the while pretending to look at toys. Twilight groaned, she couldn't believe they were doing this.

"She seems to be looking at some Thomas toys," whispered Applejack.

"I think those are the Take-N-Plays," Pinkie whispered back.

"Well let's find out if she is buying them."

Rarity had picked out five models and was going to pick up her sixth one, when she spotted her friends coming over. She quickly put the models down and tried to look innocent.

"Howdy Rarity, what are you doing here?" Applejack asked.

"I should be asking you guys that," said Rarity, "this is a toy shop."

"Yes, we're aware of that, and we saw you coming in here. Are you here to buy something?"

"I was...merely looking around, that's all. See if I can get a basic idea of what to get for Sweetie Belle's upcoming birthday."

"Really?" Pinkie Pie raised an eyebrow, "is that really it?"

"Are you sure you're not here to buy Take-N-Plays?" Applejack asked. Rarity shook her head, but looked down nervously at the models. "Fine then, we'll just ask the next kid we see if they would like these trains."

Rarity grew nervous as her friends looked around. Then they saw a young kid with his family looking around. Rarity groaned and gave in, "Alright I'll admit it, I'm here to buy Take-N-Plays!" and she grabbed the models and put them back in her basket.

"But why didn't you tell us?" Twilight asked, "we're your friends."

"I didn't want you to know cause I know you'd laugh at me."

She picked up her seventh model and walked past her friends towards the cashiers, leaving her friends rather speechless.


Rarity got home with no further incident, but she didn't open up the Take-N-Plays as she was thinking about the next time she goes out. She was sure Rainbow Dash, Sunset Shimmer and Applejack would never let her hear the end of it while the others would just laugh at her. Then she imagined all of Sodor laughing at her. She felt like crying right then and there just thinking about it.

An hour or so later, she heard some knocks on her bedroom door, it was Sweetie Belle giving off the special code.

"Come in Sweetie Belle."

"I don't know if I should, your friends are here."

"Then don't let them in!" she called and went silent again.

Twilight spoke up, "Rarity, we just want to talk to you." But Rarity didn't get up, "we're not going to make fun of you, that's not what friends do, and you know that!"

There was silence for a minute, then Rarity got up from her desk and walked over to the door to open it. On the other side were her six friends and Sweetie Belle.

"Come on in," she sighed.

They followed her into the room and apart from seeing the Take-N-Plays she had bought at the store, they couldn't see any of the other models. Rarity lead them to her closest, opened the door and showed them the entire collection.

"I've been collecting these trains since I was a little girl," she admitted.

"But why didn't you tell us Sugarcube?" Applejack asked.

"I was afraid you would all laugh at me, and never let me hear the end of it. Not even my parents know I collect these trains, only Sweetie Belle knew, till now. So go ahead and laugh." And she shut her eyes, ready to cry as she was laughed at.

Instead however, that didn't happen.

"Rarity, we wouldn't laugh at one of our best friends. In fact, we're quite impressed that you have such a big collection. Are some of those models Take-Alongs?"

"Yes, why? Do you have any of them?"

"Not really, I personally collect the Wooden Railway trains. A little expansive I know, but they are well worth it, especially the Day Out with Thomas cars."

Rarity was surprised to hear this, she never knew that Applejack had a Wooden Railway collection.

"I collect the old ERTL trains," said Fluttershy. "I grew up with those trains, so they hold a special place in my heart."

"I collect the new Minis," added Pinkie Pie, "I'm currently only missing four engines from Wave 2."

Even Rainbow Dash had to admit that she had a collection, "I collect Bachmann and Hornby trains, they are really cool you know, and I love the mechanics that go with them."

"I collect the Thomas books," said Sunset Shimmer, "and that includes the Thin Clergyman and his son's books."

All eyes turned to Twilight, even Rarity wanted to know what Twilight Sparkle collected, "well I have a collection of Tomy/Plarail and Trackmaster trains. Like Rainbow Dash, I love how the mechanics work."

"So you see Rarity, you got nothing to be scared of," said Applejack, "we're all collectors, and we're all friends, and true friends never laugh at each other."

"Besides, you shouldn't fear over what others say," added Rainbow Dash. "As long as you love collecting those trains, then that's all that matters."

Rarity looked down in shame, "you're right, I should've known that. I'm sorry guys."

"Don't worry about it, takes more than that to upset us."

Rarity smiled, she was glad and relieved, and began to tell her friends all about her collection.


Nowadays, Rarity is more open about her collection of Take-Alongs and Take-N-Plays. Oh sure there were some people who said she's a grown woman and she shouldn't be collecting toys, but she doesn't listen to them. After all, she knows who her true friends are. And now, whenever she goes to a shop that sells everything like food, clothes and even toys, she doesn't buy an extra sweater to hide the Take-N-Plays in her basket.

She and her friends also started a little club talking about the newest toys to come out based on the engines. So far, there are seven members with Sweetie Belle and her friends due to become the next members, once they start collecting.

And just the other day, Rarity told James about her collection and even showed off her metallic Take-Along model of him.

"Very smart indeed," James commented, "so shiny and splendid. I think I should have a shiny coat like that."

His Driver was about to say something, but that's when BoCo rattled into view with coal trucks. Rarity ran for cover, she knew what was coming as she had seen them shake and laugh. They shook coal loose and the dust went everywhere, ruining James' shiny red paint.

"Sorry James!" called BoCo and he rattled away.

Rarity stepped out from the safety of the building she had been hiding behind, "maybe it's best that the toys get the metallic paint James, cause with the work you do, it might not last that long." Her father nodded in agreement.

"Oh for crying for loud!" groaned James and vanished in a cloud of steam.