• Published 28th Jul 2023
  • 583 Views, 57 Comments

Twilight & Friends - The Complete Season 1 - ThomasZoey3000



Twilight Sparkle returns home to the Island of Sodor to reunited with friends, and to be drawn into crazy adventures.

  • ...
9
 57
 583

Twilight and the Big Boy

Twilight & Friends

A Thomas & Friends/My Little Pony: Equestria Girls Crossover

Written by: ThomasZoey3000

Episode 5: Twilight and the Big Boy

One evening, the seven girls were gathered at Applejack's house for a meeting of the Thomas & Friends merchandise collectors. They, along with Applejack's little sister; Stacey Smith, otherwise known to many as Apple Bloom, were talking about upcoming releases due to come out in 2015.

"I heard the Minis are coming out with these brand new superhero engines based on the DC Comic Superheroes and villain's," said Pinkie Pie.

"Oh yeah, like Superman Thomas and Dark Knight Diesel, and Joker Diesel 10," said Applejack.

"I've seen pictures of that model," said Rainbow Dash. She then shivered, "and the face is so detailed, it almost scares me."

"You, scared of something? That'd be a first."

"Shut up Applejack, I said almost. Still, they do look like great models, and I do hope you'll get them Pinkie Pie. Me on the other hand, I can't wait for the new Bachmann models of Oliver, Toad and Skarloey."

"Don't forget the Celebration Thomas," added Apple Bloom, "as part of the 70th Anniversary, they're releasing a metallic painted Thomas."

"So I've heard, and I can't wait for it to come out too. I think it'll look interesting rolling down the tracks of my layout with Annie and Clarabel rattling behind him."

The conversation went on for quite a while about the different 70th Anniversary items, then Rainbow Dash had a thought.

"I know that Hornby trains is bringing back their Thomas range, but I got to know Twilight, do the shops in America get Hornby trains?"

"Not all of them," Twilight answered. "Pretty much every shop I went to had the Bachmann Thomas trains, but there are a few that sell Hornby trains, though it's been a while since I've seen the Thomas trains. Train Shows over there sometimes have those models, either on sale or running around a layout."

"And let me guess, your brother usually takes you to those shows, am I right?" asked Applejack.

Twilight nodded. Daniel Sparkle, often nicknamed Shining Armor, was a person who loved model railroads. When he was living on the Island of Sodor, he had a beautiful layout that showed the glorious days of steam on British Railways. Everyone he knew would come by to see the layout in action, even Twilight and her friends, minus Sunset at the time. That layout remained in operation for thirteen years, that was until he fell in love with Twilight's old babysitter; Cadance Ingram and a couple years later, they got married and they moved to America. Before he left though, he dismantled the layout and sold off all the pieces so people could have pieces of his layout for their own collections.

"I wish I could've seen that layout for myself," sighed Sunset, "from what you all have been telling me, it was a beautiful layout."

"It sure was Sugarcube, but I still don't understand why he couldn't just take the layout with him," said Applejack.

"He loved that layout," said Twilight, "but he wanted to start from scratch again, so he figured on just selling his trains and use the money to build his new layout when he and Cadance got to America."

"Does he have a layout at his new home?" Rarity asked curiously.

"Oh yes, he's built an even bigger one, in fact I should have some photos of it on my mobile phone." She reached into her purse and pulled out her mobile phone. After looking threw the photos, she found the ones she was looking for. "My brother had built a layout showing the Union Pacific Railroad back in the glory days of steam." She handed her phone around so everyone could see the pictures.

"Very nice," they all commented.

"He's still got a way's to go, but he and Cadance are almost done."

Sunset Shimmer was looking at the photos when she slid onto a photo of Twilight standing in front of a big steam engine. "Hey Twilight, when was this taken?"

Twilight excepted her phone back and looked at the photo, "oh that was taken in February last year after the move of the Big Boy."

"Oh yeah, Union Pacific's gotten one of the eight surviving Big Boys back and are in the process of restoring it," said Applejack. "Must've felt great to see that massive engine up close and personal."

"Well it's always special to be up close with an engine of that size, but yeah that time felt really special."

"Personally, I wish I could've seen the move with my own two eyes. Neither Apple Bloom nor I have seen one of those big engines since before 2004, but I guess I'll have to settle for the videos that are on Youtube."

"It's funny you should mention the move, cause I actually saw it."

"You did?!" all the girls cried in unison.

"Yes I did. Well you see, my sister-in-law Cadance works for the Rail Giants Museum, and had known for quite a while that the Big Boy was going to go back to Cheyenne Wyoming. She was invited to ride in the big engine and asked if I could tag along. They agreed, but that night was the longest night I ever had, though I guess I should start from the beginning."

So all the girls went quiet as Twilight began her story.


The Rail Giants Museum holds a collection of steam and diesel engines with many coming from across the country. Two of the biggest once belonged on the Union Pacific Railroad, the first is a big 12 drive-wheeled engine with a very long boiler, it is a sole survivor of it's class. The other is Big Boy 4014, but known to many as Bruce. He has a wheel arrangement of four front wheels, two sets of eight driving wheels and four back wheels. He also has a massive tender with the name of his railroad in white. He had been at the museum since being donated in 1961, and for a long time, visitors would just take pictures of him or see how many kids would actually fit inside his firebox.

One day, Twilight and her brother; Shining Armor arrived at the museum to find a lot of people looking the Big Boy over.

"Hey Cadance, what's going on here?" Shining asked.

"You won't believe this, but those people are from the Union Pacific. They're checking out all the remaining Big Boys to see which one is going to be restored to operating condition. I'm personally hoping Bruce will be that engine, he deserves that chance."

Just by listening to the conversations, the trio could hear the Union Pacific workers say how impressed they were with the conditions of 4014.

"He's definitely a good engine," said one of them, "we'll be sure to let management know."

Soon after, they returned to Cheyenne and told their manager everything. It was soon decided that 4014; Bruce would do nicely as he was in the best condition. First though, they had to make a trade agreement. It took a while, but soon they agreed to trade a diesel, a van and a brake van, or as the Americans call it; Caboose.

November 2013 became a month of activity as Union Pacific workers arrived to lay down tracks from the museum to the main line.

"With luck, we should have Bruce back on the main line within the next few weeks or so."

But there was a problem as pointed out by Cadance, "the parking lot gets a lot of use from police training runs and other events, you can't just shut it down."

"Hmm, that is a concern, but not a complete problem," said Ed Dickens, manager of the steam program. "We'll just lay down sections of snap track and move the locomotive a little at a time."

They began instantly. They started by moving the locomotives behind the Big Boy's tender back a bit, then lay down sections of snap track. Finally, with a front end loader all set to go, they towed the Big Boy gently out of the museum.

"Good luck Bruce!" the engines called, "do us all proud!"

"I sure will my friends!" he called out in his loud booming voice.

"Whoa! Stop! Stop!" cried the voice of Ed Dickens. The operation was halted and everyone came to see what was wrong. One of the driving wheels was on the verge of coming off the rails, but then it slid back into place. "Wow, now that's interesting, that's never happened before. Alright, resume pulling!"

The Front End Loader took up the strain and began to pull once more.

"Just think Twily," Shining whispered to his sister, "we're witnessing history here. A Big Boy on the move, getting ready for it's return to steam."

"It is a great sight," Twilight admitted, "however, judging from the amount of snap track they have, and the speed the front end loader is going, it'll probably be January before Bruce is back on the main line."


Twilight was right. It took most of November, all of December and much of January to get close with the Metrolink mainline. Soon though, they were ready, but the Union Pacific workers had a problem. They couldn't cut the main line during the day as it would cause problems in the timetables, and people could end up late for work or getting home.

"If we can't cut the main line during the day, we'll have to go for the night," said Ed Dickens.

They got in contact with Metrolink and made an agreement that after the last train of the day, they would cut the main line and connect it with their snap track. It would also allow the traded diesel and small train to get onto the museum property.

On the evening of January 26th and into the 27th, after the last commuter train went threw, the Union Pacific workers cut the main line and moved it over to the snap track. As one of the museum workers, Cadance was to be given a chance to ride on the big engine.

"I tell you Cadance, if I was human like you, my heart would be beating quickly right now," Bruce said to her. "This is so exciting."

"It sure is Bruce." But then she looked around. She could see lots of people, except for Twilight and Shining Armor. "Where are they? Shining said he would bring Twilight here at around eleven, yet it's past Midnight right now."

"Maybe he slept in."

"Wouldn't surprise me," giggled Cadance and she rolled her eyes.

"Oh wait, here they come, and by the looks of it, your Sister in law looks tired."

And she was. Twilight had had three exams that day, and she had done a lot of studying before returning back to her brother and sister-in-law's house. She had managed to get some rest, but not a whole lot.

"She's with me," Cadance called to another Union Pacific worker.

He nodded and allowed her in, but leaving Shining Armor out, "hey, I'm her husband."

Cadance giggled, "him too!" And so the worker let him threw. "Twilight, I did tell you that Bruce was going to be moved late in the evening."

"Yeah I know," yawned Twilight, "but I can't help it when I have three exams, and a test in two days. But I'm here to see Bruce return to the main line."

"And you're going to have the best seat in the house," said Ed Dickens. "Cause you three will be riding in the cab with us."

The trio walked over to the cab, just as they heard a TOOT! TOOT! of a diesel horn. Shining Armor got on board first, then Cadance and lastly was Twilight. Once inside, she looked around and was amazed by the size of the cab.

"And here I thought Murdoch's cab was big, but this is amazing."

"Murdoch. Who's Murdoch?" asked Bruce.

"He's a big orange steam engine back on the North Western Railway, although he's not as big as you. He only has ten driving wheels."

"North Western? Where are you from my dear child?"

"I come from the Island of Sodor, the Ffarquhar branch area, but I'm here in America to go to school and learn new things."

"I see."

The conversation was cut off as Heritage Unit No 1996 pulled up behind the tender. This would be the first diesel to couple up to Bruce since he came to the museum.

"Easy does it my friend!" Bruce called out to the diesel, "don't knock me off the rails like I did with the Hudson."

"I'll try to be careful," said the diesel.

Back in the 1980's, Bruce and the other members of the museum collection were moved from their original location to the museum's current location. During the move, someone forgot to put the brakes on and Bruce knocked a Santa Fe Hudson off the rails. The Hudson wasn't damaged, but nerves were shaken that day.

The first attempt to couple up was not successful, but on the second try, there came a CLUNK! as the couplings met. The crowds cheered loudly, and Bruce sighed.

"Thank goodness for that."

Once all the connections were made, and the brakes unwound, the diesel sounded it's horn and slowly pulled Bruce back to the main line. They had to go slowly as the tender had multiple wheels, and there was the fear that it could derail. They had to go at a slow speed of around five miles per hour, or slower. Everyone watched with interest and worry. Finally though, the wheels of the tender were on the main line, and soon after, Bruce himself was back on the main line.

"Perfect, and no wheels off the tracks," smiled Ed Dickens. He then turned to Cadance, "how would you like the chance to blow the whistle?"

"Blow the whistle? How is that possible? Bruce is not in steam," protested Twilight.

"It's being operated by air, provided from our diesel behind us," explained Cadance. "And actually, could my sister-in-law be the one to blow the whistle?"

"I see no reason why not," he smiled.

Twilight climbed into the Driver's seat on the right side, and with many onlookers watching, she grabbed hold of the whistle cord. 1996 blew it's airhorn as they started moving.

"Here we go," sighed Twilight and pulled the whistle chain twice. TOOT! TOOT! went the whistle, which was met by a chorus of cheers from the crowd. The train moved towards the crossing with the diesel blowing it's horn. The crowds shouted "Again! Blow that whistle again!" Twilight looked to Ed Dickens, "can I?"

"Go on ahead my dear."

And so, she blew the whistle a few more times, but not too hard as she didn't want to drain the energy from 1996. The crowds continued to cheer on, even after they moved away from the fairgrounds. Twilight got out of the Driver's seat and Ed took his rightful place.

"So, how was it Twilight?" Cadance asked.

"That was amazing!" she cheered. "I never knew it could be so much fun to blow a Big Boy's whistle."

"Glad you liked it my dear child," smiled Bruce.

The train continued on down the tracks until they met up with three more diesels. Two would be on the tail end with several covered hoppers, and the third was No 4884, which resembled the wheel arrangement of the Big Boy. These engines, along with the hoppers, were to provide extra braking power and extra strength when needed.

Once assembled, they set off for the Covina Railway Station where Bruce would get greased and checked over. Even with the darkness of the night, Twilight was amazed by the scenery as they rolled on by. She had seen it before while riding the commuter trains, but to actually see it without glass in front of her, and with the smell of the fresh air, it felt wonderful. It actually reminded her of the days when her father invited her into Thomas' cab for a ride. She actually started to feel sad.

Soon, the train arrived at the Covina railway station where the small traded train was waiting.

"Right, now that you're here, it's my turn to go," said 3105 the diesel. She blasted her air-horn and she slowly pulled out of the station. "Good luck on the main line Bruce, you're going to be making history with your return."

"Thank you dear diesel, and I hope you enjoy your new retirement."

"Hey, it's better than being scrap you know." And with another blast of her horn, she disappeared down the line towards the Rail Giants museum.

Bruce sighed as he looked all around him, it was a dream he never thought would come true.

"If only my brothers and many of my cousins could see me now," he sighed.

Ed Dickens stepped down from the cab to speak with Bruce, "we have informed all of your siblings, and they are happy for you Bruce. Besides, you're not going to be the only Union Pacific steam giant in Cheyenne, you'll be meeting up with Ashley and Carrie again."

"You mean 844 and 3985?"

"The very engines themselves. They're looking forward to seeing you again."

"So those two haven't forgotten me then," smiled Bruce.

Meanwhile, the trio were climbing down from the cab. Twilight was exhausted and wanted to get some sleep, but before they left, they came up to the front to speak with Bruce.

"Well Bruce, it has been an honor having you in the museum collection," Cadance said to him, "you will be missed there."

"Thank you Cadance, and it's been an honor being part of the collection for many years. Make sure you give the new girl plenty of time to get used to her surroundings, and make her feel welcome."

"You know I will, and we'll definitely catch up with you before you leave California."

"Good." Bruce then looked down to Twilight, "I wish you good luck in your studies dear child, but don't forget, there is no place like home. Think of that before you go out to see more of the world."

"I'll keep that in mind, thank you."

"And..." continued Bruce, "when I'm back in steam, come see me and I'll make sure you have a chance to operate me."

"I'd like that, thank you."

And with that, the trio left for home, tired but happy.


"We did see Bruce in the West Colton yards during the two weekends he was on display, and chased him one more time as he left California. Since then, I heard he's been welcomed back in style, and his restoration is most definitely underway."

"Wow, you are so lucky," smiled Apple Bloom.

But Applejack was confused, "what did he mean by what he said to you?"

"I think Cadance told him that I was considering at the time of will I travel the world or come back to Sodor. After talking with him though, I felt it was best to come back to my wonderful home sweet home."

"And we're certainly glad you did that Darling," smiled Rarity.

All the girls nodded in agreement.

"So, the whistle, was it really loud?" Rainbow Dash asked hopefully. "Did it have a cool sound?"

"The Hancock three-chime whistle did indeed sound impressive, but since it was only being operated by air, it was a bit hallow. According to my sister-in-law, the whistle is normally driven at 300 psi."

Rarity groaned hearing that, "now that's loud, even louder than Pinkie Pie's party cannons."

"Still, it's a mighty fine sound," smiled Applejack.

After that, the conversations changed back over to the Thomas & Friends merchandise. Every now and then, Twilight would look at her phone and see the photos of herself with Bruce the Big Boy, and remembering the run she had with him. Also, she remembered his promise that as soon as he was back in steam, he would allow her to operate him and blow his mighty whistle once more.

That's a day Twilight was looking forward to.