• Published 26th Oct 2012
  • 5,745 Views, 303 Comments

Slave of Eternity - Secrets and Lies



Chaos descends upon the land. The Immortal Man will discover the genesis of Equestria. The Slave comes.

  • ...
14
 303
 5,745

21

Author's Note:

Revised on January 13th, 2014

(Part 3)

“Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art.... It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things which give value to survival.”

- C.S. Lewis

(21)

A fierce wind blew through the blackened lands below. Whipping and whistling as it carried ash and soot; it flowed over seas of broken brick and shattered timber. The once white realm was tarnished in a gray veil, as much as in hue with the dimmed atmosphere that watched from above. A burned desert lay waste to a land so fruitful and filled with harmony. The blow of the wind carried no soothing, and the sun gave no warmth. No tree stood high to give one shade, and no breath of air could give one strength. No song could be sung by a young bird, and no laughter or peace could give one ease. All had been shattered and crippled by his touch. Nothing could escape the doom which he wrought.

A stirring began to fill the air as the clouds whisked and wavered in the low morning light. A heavenly ray then sundered the blanket of storms above. A narrow, sapphire rod of magnificence tore through the sky on its way to Arteria. As it struck the ashy mantle that hid the scorched Royal Garden of Canterlot Castle, a crown of cinder and soot formed around its base. The power of such magic blew away a cylindrical foundation from where it smote the earth. The billows soared wildly through the air in great mounds as the celestial magic continually poured from above.

As the light dissipated, growing narrower and fainter, the silhouette of a figure colored through. As the magic finally disappeared, Zack stood high with his eyes closed and his stance tall. As he unhindered his vision, the dead world came around him as well as falling clouds of ash. The once colorful and lush Royal Garden had been burned from the soil and the guard walls around him were flattened into pebbles and rubble. Great scars and open wounds were torn across the castle’s face as Zachary looked up at the hollowed fortress. He was taken back by all this, but he kept his emotions in check. Not once could he falter during a time like this, he had to stand strong, as a pillar of hope for the denizens of this land.

He turned to peer over the fallen walls, seeing farther over Canterlot than ever before–due to the lack of buildings. In the distance soared airships he could see, though couldn’t hear. This is where he would make his next destination. He looked down and opened his left hand to scan its new markings. The branded elements on each of his fingers and palm still seared in a burning pain. He clinched his fist back firmly and lowered his arm back to his side.

“This needs to end,” he reassured himself while overlooking the distant destruction ahead. He then pressed his lips together and gave a shrill whistle that carried over the land and overtook the voices of the wind. After a long blow, he quieted himself and waited for his companion. Through the lofty storm clouds above broke through his pet, Nox the thunderbird. It soared downward to greet his master after months from not seeing him. Zack wasn’t sure if the mythical bird would survive such an event that took place here, but indeed it escaped and waited for Zachary’s arrival. As Nox landed, it kicked up waves of dust over the area as it flapped its wings to a halt before him. The bird had grown in size for flight already and was prepared for action while discharging static pulses of excitement. Nox bounced over and nuzzled Zachary as he returned his affection with scratches on the back of the head.

Zack voiced in a soothing tone, “Good bird... Good bird...” while continually petting the golden top of Nox’s head. He then walked over to its side and hopped onto his bird’s back; the weight of Zack atop Nox seemed no burden to the strong animal. With a firm kick to its side, Nox spread its wings once again and took off into the sky, leaving a wake of ash and stormy contrail in its path.

The air was thick and hot, even while flying high over the desolated city. Smoke still smoldered from the ruin’s aftermath, clotting the air and making Zachary’s eyes burn when passing through them. The area of disaster finally came through to Zack after seeing how the entire mountainside where the city rested was trampled by the great fire and battle. Without a doubt, he knew this was Discord’s making and urged Nox to fly faster than before towards the airships.

A lower ranking captain on one of the airships spotted the unknown object first, which was Zack and Nox closing in. He had no information regarding the two and saw them as a possible threat. In that moment, he beckoned out over his crew to take hostile action and prep for an offensive strike. He began turning the ship starboard side while opening the gunnery hatches for the cannons. As one ship turned for an immediate attack, other captains saw this maneuver and began to follow lead. Zack noticed a multitude of airships turning sideways before him while still approaching the fleet. He wondered what was about to happen until it hit him that they were soon about to fire upon his location. He thought that whoever was in charge of this squadron must not know of him and saw his approach as a new threat. Before both sides could attack and take evasive maneuvers, the leading vessel which Captain Neighmo piloted swept out in front his own attacking fleet, blocking their target.

“Cease assault,” he sternly commanded through the megaphone aboard the ship. His voice echoed out through the air and the airships withheld their attack. Zack saw and heard this from afar; he knew that voice however, it was familiar and friendly. As he and Nox flew over the leading vessel, they spiraled down and landed aboard the top deck with a heavy flapping and thud. As he dismounted, he was greeted by an enveloping group of air-stallions with spears and crossbows pointed at him.

“At ease,” commanded the voice once again. Zachary looked up to where the noise originated from and was greeted with the sight of old Captain Neighmo.

Neighmo then scolded his crew saying, “If I told you fools to cease the assault, then why think of this ally a threat? Stand down, you fillies!” The group lowered their weapons and subsided around Zachary.

Zack approached the Captain and replied joyously, “Oh Captain, my Captain! It has been too long!”

“Likewise, Master Zack. I’ve been wait'n for our second meet'n again so that we may travel to the ends of the world, but from what I’ve heard, ya beat me to it,” he ended in a light chortle. Neighmo motioned with his head to walk with him up to the quarterdeck and Zack did so.

While they walked, Neighmo then strove back to more recent matters saying, “I only wish we had the time to catch up, but this–as you can see–is no time for reminiscing and laughter. The Princesses told me about yer departure to the far realms and that you would be come'n back to aid us. It seems they were not wrong about your return, but if ya would've shown up earlier, that would've been appreciated more so.”

"I’m sorry,” Zack sympathized, “If I knew this would happen in a few short days, I would have never went.”

“A few days? Boy, you’ve been gone longer than that!”

Zack gave a worried expression and replied, “...How long have I been gone then?”

“I’d say a month, a week, and a day... give or take.” Zack wasn’t sure how, but he then remembered what Luna had told him about traveling through the Panexus and how it distorts time when accessing it.

With that idea intact, he expressed his feelings by once again apologizing , “I’m sorry–again. I didn’t have complete control over how long I was away... it’s a long story really and–”

“So I suppose you don’t know what all has happened in the last day,” Neighmo went on.

“No,” Zack replied overlooking the carnage of Canterlot City, “but I assume Discord is the reason behind all of this destruction.”

“Aye, he is. That and the Changeling Armies have invaded the outer cities and villages, and they’re on their way back here now.” Zack turned towards the Captain with horror plastered across his face. He had no idea about the Changeling attack or even why they would do such a thing.

The stallion continued without hesitation, “And if the wind be with them, they’ll be here in an hour’s time.”

Zack stepped forward and questioned the Captain in a quick, panicky voice, “How many of them are there? Where have they attacked?”

The Captain placed a hoof on his chin and combed his beard calmly replying, “Our reports indicate there are about two legions of changelings, or there were that many at first. Their first attack was on Cloudsdale. The pegasi did as much as they could to protect the city, but it wasn’t enough. Cloudsdale fell as morning rose. Ponyville was taken over in an hour's time, and it is now the base of operations for the Changelings.”

Zack had no time to grieve over past events as he asked more questions, “What about the Princesses? What about Discord?”

“Only a mere hour ago were we fight'n the beast, though he seemed to prevail through our most powerful assault. Even the Princesses showed no mercy on the draconequine; to be honest, it was quite spectacular to watch them work together as a team.”

Zack turned to look back over the wreckage and asked, “So where are they now?”

Neighmo walked up beside him and responded in a hopeless breath, “Before the mass amount of smoke and haze could fade, the two were gone from their original spots in the sky. We’ve been search'n for them, but we haven’t found the sisters or Discord.”

In desperate, quick-paced thinking, Zack figured out an idea on how to find them. He focused his mind and began searching throughout the city for any signs of magical energy. With the Catalyst Stone absorbed through his body, his abilities had increased dramatically and his range of magic stretched out beyond their normal limitations. Soon he had covered nearly every nook and cranny of the wasteland Canterlot had become, and that was when he had found her. It was Celestia, her magic was recognizable and unique–much like her sister. He only found her however, and though her magical energy was weak, he knew she was still alive. Something else caught his attention, a foreign magic was near by that he had never felt before. It was in very close proximity to Celestia and this made him fret; Zack had a nervous speculation about where that source of magic was coming from. Zack opened his eyes as the world came back around him. Neighmo had been watching Zack work in silence, though he never understood what he did.

Zack looked down at the captain and stated firmly, “I found Celestia.” He turned and jumped down the narrow, pony-sized flight of stairs while calling out, “Follow me!” He then threw himself atop of Nox while his bird began running towards the edge of the ship. Once he had gripped tight to the bird, Nox dove off the side and flew up again over the fleet with wings spread.

You heard him,” Neighmo shouted over his crew, “follow him!” The crew began to hustle across the ship, tying and untying lines and shoveling coal into the boilers below to make their airship fly as fast as it could. The other captains saw the leading vessel begin to follow the black bird and rider, and soon trailed behind Neighmo at full speed. Zack tightened his grip around the thick feathers on the back of Nox’s neck as his suspense ascended. He was soon about to face Discord, a moment he had dreaded for a long time coming.

“I... I gave them... free will... the choice to do... what is right...” Celestia said in breathless groans, fighting to keep her consciousness and mind intact as she looked up at her her past lover.

Discord stood above the bloodied elder princess, taking in the sight before he had to reluctantly do what he intended. It was for a better cause, a just and fair one, and she and her sister were the only ones in his way at that moment. Celestia’s eye’s washed away his anger, it was a soothing look of care and confusion that confounded him. It had made him forget about the world around him, the desolation and destruction that he had sown; he had even forgotten about the one who wielded the spirit killer itself and his ever present threat. Even after all he had done, and how Discord wanted things back to the way they were before his rampancy, he knew he couldn’t stop. He had to finish what he started oh so long ago, though now he would rule without a queen, without a lover, and without a sister.

If he gave up now, they would kill him with the Prevailer–if he gave up now, peace would never been sustainable in Arteria. That was what he wanted, he had vowed his servitude to Arteria and its peace. He knew without proper rule, this could never be attained; if only he could make his sisters understand, if only they gave him a chance. He hid his sadness away from Celestia and replaced it with a sneer of disgust and hate.

He deeply bellowed, “Freedom... is weakness...” He moved the spear he had broken off the top of Canterlot castle and pointed it at Celestia’s chest. She tensed in preparation at his unwavering words and motions, seeing how her words had no visible effect on Discord.

He continued faintly, “Supremacy... is strength. Supremacy is harmony, freedom is chaos. And now... you must die... in order to bring forth a new age of prosperity, peace and justice. I am sorry, my love.” His sorrow finally overflowed as he could no longer hold back his disappointment. A tear had welled up in his eye as Celestia watched from below, seeing how chaos had torn his body in two and had overtaken him once again.

She closed her eyes and said as softly and as lovingly as she could in that moment, “If you believe this must take place in order to restore harmony, do it. I believe you can make this world a better place, my love.”

A loud screeching overcame the two lover’s ears from far behind them. Discord lowered his weapon as Celestia reopened her eyes to see what it was. With a sudden rekindling of memory, she sighed with relief knowing that it was Nox, and she could feel a new power coming which rode with the bird. From over the ashy remains of the Friendship Fountain glided a quick, black billow of narrow storm cloud which was entwined with crawling lightning. It boomed across the land and plummeted before them with a thunderous crack, sending heaps of coal colored cloud front over the ground. Static filled the air as the darkness of the storm consumed everyone, flooding over the landing zone. Discord turned to face who he assumed was the new Master of the Prevailer and even dropped his weapon on the dirt below.

As the inky fog faded, it revealed Zachary and Nox beside one another. Nox’s yellow, glowing eyes had pierced through the now lighter fog as it let out another aggressive shriek at Discord’s sight. Zack withdrew the Prevailer from its sheath and raised the sword in front of him in preparation to defend or attack. Discord smiled as he saw the subtle lack of courage present in the human’s eyes. A thumping noise came through the high winds above them as airships began to surround the area Zack had taken them to. Discord paid no attention to the fleet as his focus laid directly in front him.

The draconequus changed his tone to a lighter one as he greeted, “So, you are the new Master of the Prevailer... I’ve heard so much about you, I’ve been dying to see who you were.” He slithered over towards Zachary and soon began to circle around, trying to keep a constant eye on the beast.

“You aren’t from this world–I can tell. You see, I’ve felt your presence for six years now, sensing your strength grow, making you into the hero you are now.” Zack replied with silence. He wanted to watch his words, he wanted to show no signs of fear.

Discord slipped back over to his original spot in front of Celestia and rose his hands up saying, “By the way, like what I did to the place? All I did was expand the graveyard, if you know what I mean.”

He began laughing at his own joke in an over-excessive, hearty cackle. Zack’s eyes finally spotted Celestia behind Discord and was shocked to see the princess barely clinging on to life. From that moment, he began to figure out a plan, a plan that would buy everyone some time–including himself–before he sought to kill the draconequus. His mind raced as Discord recovered from his fits of laughter to look back over towards Zachary.

Discord gawped in disbelief and rebuked, “Oh, come on! I didn’t even get a smile or anything from you! I thought someone would have laughed along with me.”

He then turned to look at you while whispering, “Tough crowd, huh?”

He rolled his eyes back towards the confused looking Zack and sighed, “Okay, so we all know you’re ‘Mister Tough Guy’, we get it. Trying to save the world and all that cliché crap; I’ve dealt with ‘heroes’ like you before in the past, or should I say one annoying, yellow and orange pegasus. Any-who,” Discord digressed as he lifted his arms away from his chest, “Since I’m such a nice guy, I’ll give you the first strike. Let’s see if you got what it takes!”

Discord waited for Zack to strike as Zack gripped the hilt of the sword tighter in his hands. In the time the draconequus was rambling, Zack had zoned out and figured out a scheme that may work. He wanted to try and save Ponyville as well as Celestia and Luna, and hopefully the Elements of Harmony would be able to help him fight off Discord after he freed them. All he needed was a bit of luck, which he figured he didn’t have much of anymore after his venturing through Firelight Woods. Celestia peered over at Zack, wondering what he was doing. He caught her wandering eyes and looked back at her, trying to convey a message through solely eye contact. She assumed he had some plan figured out, but what the plan was eluded her wit. Discord still waited with his eyes closed, head looking upward and arms spread wide.

Zack turned his sword around in his hand while looking over the hilt and blade. Then–in a quick movement–he threw the sword into the ground before him which made a heavy clank of metal and rock meeting. The blade sank deep into the cracked, ashy earth beneath him as the noise it gave rang out through the empty streets. Discord opened his eyes to see what the noise was Zack made as Celestia gasped at Zachary’s motives. Discord’s eye twitched with boiling anger, seeing how he wasn’t going to get the battle he desired.

Zachary finally made his motives vocal while staring down his opponent, “I refuse to fight you.” The draconequus lowered his stance as he balled his hands into quaking fists.

He glowered towards Zack, “What... What!” His words began to fill with spite as he bellowed, “You refuse to fight me! The Master of the Prevailer will give me a desirable battle! I demand it–you incompetent, sorry excuse for a hero!”

He rushed over across the land in a great leap towards Zachary. His speed swept dust over around him as he came within a foot of Zachary’s location and stopped for a moment. With a powerful, unrelenting swing, he swiped his lion claws across Zack’s face. A wave of delight sent shivers down Discord’s spine as he felt his claws digging through his opponent’s face and Celestia’s shrill gasp behind him. As his arm made a complete swing, he looked to see what the fool’s face looked like now.

The blow turned Zack’s head away from Discord, but his stance remained perfectly still. Zack slowly turned his head back to look Discord dead in his eyes again. Only three small scratches appeared on his face; the red lines drug across his head in a slanted cut from his upper-right forehead to his lower-left cheek. The draconequine’s eye’s widened with surprise; he thought he would have done more damage, but he had only made a cat scratch rather than a sliced-open head.

Zack took a small step forward–mere inches away from the draconequus–and whispered in an emotionless tone, “If you want a battle with me... you’ll have to wait.” At that final word, he stepped around Discord and reached for his blade. He turned away from Discord while unhinging his affixed sword from the ground.

Zack’s mind was in panic mode as he desperately tried to keep his cool and composure. His bluffing was seemingly working, but for how much longer he could pull this off was unknown to even him. The amount of magic he used to hold back an attack like that almost failed him. Without the Catalyst Stone absorbed in his body, he would had never been able to deflect a physical blow of that magnitude. Celestia still watched in awe as Zack seemed unfazed by Discord’s brutal swing; she herself was wondering how he was able to pull off such a feat. Discord rotated his neck, then body around as his face reddened with fury.

He then spat, “Do you know how long I’ve been waiting already?”

Zack turned and replied, “I guess you’ll have to wait a little longer.” The draconequus then cooled himself, he knew the human had gotten the best of him just then and decided to start anew.

“What do you want then,” he said in a low tone, still showing signs of irritation.

Zack finally faced back towards his rival and pointed east declaring, “We will fight at Dragon Peak. It's the tallest mountain in Equestria, you can’t miss it. Go there and I will meet you soon.” A sly look came over Discord’s face as he began to figure out what the Master was planning to do.

He grinned and replied, “Fair enough. I’ll give you one hour to free your friends and gather your allies... or you can have an hour’s head start to flee from my coming wrath.” He floated off slowly, still facing both Celestia and Zack as he concluded, “One hour... remember that. If you don’t come to battle me in that time, I set this world on fire–starting with Ponyville.” In a flash of light, he disappeared and left the two alone.

Zack let out a sigh as he released his weapon and let his hands shake freely. The Prevailer dropped to the ground, sending a cloud of ash and soot into the dry air around them. He turned towards Celestia with a face as white as the moon, her war-torn looks did not sooth his inner pain one bit.

“Zachary,” she spoke out in an encouraging voice. He smiled towards her as she warmly simpered in return. He approached her quickly and placed his hands on her side. He focused firmly throughout his body, reaching for the Catalyst Stone inside his essence. From it, he pulled forth powerful magic and then exerted it through his hands and into Celestia’s body. Life and energy sprung forth inside of Celestia and in no time at all, she was healed of her physical and mental injuries. Her magic had been restored and her wings were filled with vigor as she rose up before Zachary. Though she still showed signs of fatigue and her wounds still bled slowly, she was able to fight once again.

“Thank you, Zachary...” she spoke with rising energy. Though she inclined her gift continuing in a more melancholy fashion, “however you wasted your magic. As you can see, I stand no chance against Discord.”

Zack put a hand on Celestia’s shoulder as he imparted his plan, “I want you to come to Ponyville with me. If we save the Elements, we might have a better chance at stopping Discord.”

“But we’ll risk harming the six, they could be killed if–”

“We either give it our all,” Zack looked away and breathed with fleeting hope, “...or die trying.”

Neighmo’s voice rang from above as he called out below, “I hate to interrupt, but we have a problem arising from the north as you can see!” The two turned to see that in the far distance a strange, morphing black cloud came howling from the far reaches of their sight.

Celestia informed the bemused Zack, “It’s the Changelings, they’re coming!”

From the far off swarm, General Defer was leading the six thousand soldiers through the smoke filled skies. He was astonished to see Canterlot in ruin before they got there; he expected a full out assault and a much grander battle than the one at Cloudsdale. He wasn’t quite sure what to do until he spotted the small fleet of airships on the far side of the city.

He pointed and shouted over his legions, “Take down those airships! Go! Go! Go!” He lead his brethren over the city in low flight as they flew as fast as they could towards the fleet. The descended like a sweeping wave over the ruin and through the smoke, pressing forward with evil intentions.

Celestia turned back upwards and commanded Neighmo and his squadron, “Retreat to Ponyville! You must make it there alive! Go now, we can fly there ourselves!” Without hesitation, Neighmo gave out the orders over his crew and ships as the fleet took off over the mountainside towards the changeling-seized village. Zack looked back to see if he and Nox could make it back towards Canterlot Castle to use the Panexus for quick transportation, but the changelings were between his intended destination and were gaining fast on their location. He could never out maneuver such a vast amount of swift flying soldiers, and did not want to try and waste anymore of his Catalyst Stone magic on long range teleporting.

Celestia took off into the air and yelled out, “Come on, Zachary!” Zack did so as he leaped onto Nox and flew off with Celestia and the fleet. The changelings flew up above the city and began chasing down their prey over the fog-laden hills and valleys of Equestria.