• Published 26th Oct 2012
  • 5,751 Views, 303 Comments

Slave of Eternity - Secrets and Lies



Chaos descends upon the land. The Immortal Man will discover the genesis of Equestria. The Slave comes.

  • ...
14
 303
 5,751

13

Author's Note:

Revised January 4th, 2014

(13)

It was around four in the afternoon when it all happened. The once sapphire blue skies had faded into an apricot-colored horizon. The sun swayed into the western hemisphere and lit the floating city in an amber hue. The streets were calming from the midday shuffles and now the air was warmer to the lonely mare who sat at the stoop of the D.W.A. building. She was lost in her thoughts and hardly noticed anything that happened around her. Pegasi who passed her by gave her an agitated expression, though she didn’t care, she was comfortably numb.

She eased her head up, looking into the yellowed, afternoon yonder. Right above the houses and buildings she followed the glistening light that was reflected in the dew drops in the cloud roofs. The city itself was made from no ordinary clouds; they were as heavy as regular stone structures, since they were filled with dense water to hold up the city and keep it afloat. Such a pretty, yet powerful sight made her wonder why more ponies didn’t notice things like this. She then began to think why she hadn’t in the first place. She lived at such a fast pace, as do most pegasi, that she often overlooked such things; but now that she was still, she could see what natural beauties were around her and was thankful that this day was spent practically alone.

While her eyes followed the city horizon, she noticed a distant pegasi out of place, making a landing not far from where she was. There were strict flight patterns kept in Cloudsdale and one couldn’t just swoop in when they pleased unless it was an emergency. Rainbow Dash thought that she had already ruined her day by not renewing her license and might as well see what was going on where the unknown pegasus pony landed. She was an Element of Harmony and came to the point that it was her duty as such to help ponies. Her loyalty out shown her laziness as she stood from the stairway and flew off through the city.

She bent around the corners of each street going at speeds she could get fined for; however, such petty Cloudsdale laws served no match for her for lack of care at the moment. She spotted the pegasus almost immediately when flying around the Cloudsdale Post Office. She knew that this was the one she saw flying in, because he was the most noticeable one out of line among the citizens on the sidewalks. He stood in the middle of the road with a look of uneasiness which washed over his already white face as he glanced about the area he landed in. The passing pegasi thought of him as a disturber of the peace and continued on their way, ignoring him. To Dash, he appeared like a child lost in a crowd, and that’s when it struck her.

She knew who he was and called out to him from across the street, “Valiant! Over here!” His eyes fell upon the cyan mare and after a moment of analyzing the pony from afar, he smiled, relaxing his posture and folding his wings.

He flapped over to her and greeted her saying, “Rainbow Dash! It’s been too long! I barely recognized you. You’ve grown a lot since the last time we met.”

She smiled in return and said, “Likewise–in status I hear, buddy.” His cheer-filled mood turned opposite when his mind caught back up to him about what was soon going to happen to the city.

“I need to find city hall,” he urgently requested, “and I must speak to the mayor! Something dreadful is on the verge of happening and–”

“But you’re a pegasus,” she butted in with a hoof raised towards him. “Didn’t you grow up here in Cloudsdale?”

“No, in fact, this is my first time here... Could you perhaps show me the way?”

“I most certainly can. Try and keep up!” She turned the opposite direction, with wings unfolded and legs bent for take off. She immediately halted still when she discovered who was behind them watching from a short distance.

“In a hurry, you two,” Spitfire asked while approaching the two pegasi.

Rainbow Dash straightened her posture her saluted the Wonderbolt, “Ma’am! Just taking our Six Star General of Harmony to Mayor Hurricane’s office, Ma’am!”

The yellow mare turned her head towards Valiant with a raised eyebrow and said, “Is that so?”

“Yes, Ma’am,” Dash saluted once more. Spitfire’s authoritative figure slipped and she gently informed Rainbow Dash to ease off.

She then approached Valiant closer and noted, “I saw you fly in here illegally.”

“Well, I did, you are correct,” he responded with hesitance. He hardly knew the differing laws here and had no clue about his law breaking manner. He reaffirmed “I did so because–”

“There’s something coming," the yellow pegasus finished, "and you want to know if this city is ready for such a threat.” Valiant’s mood returned to a more somber and serious approach. He didn't know how she knew, but it made explaining his circumstances easier.

“Exactly," affirmed Valiant. "I’m not entirely sure what’s coming, but it’s approaching fast. We need to warn the populous, evacuate the people, raise the defenses.”

“I don’t think you understand, Valiant Steed. But we don’t have an army like Canterlot’s. Right now, we have two hundred ready pegasi guards who haven’t seen action in a very long time. Sure, they train with exercises and simulations, but none of them have been in a real battle. Celestia’s peace has softened us, and I don’t believe we can hold off such an attack so soon.”

Rainbow joined in with a quiver of concern in her voice, “What’s going on, you guys? Are we in trouble?”

Spitfire’s attention turned and replied to the other mare, “We’re not in trouble, Rainbow. We’re at war, and we’ve already lost.”

“That’s enough out of you,” Valiant spoke out over the pessimistic Wonderbolt, “We will defend Cloudsdale the best we can. We need to hold them back from the rest of Equestria long enough for Canterlot to gain strength and take on the threat.”

Rainbow Dash jabbed her hoof into Valiant’s chest and spouted with sudden anger, “Are you suggesting we use Cloudsdale as a front-line shield? To use my city as bait to whoever is about to attack us?”

“We have no choice,” He aggressively fired back. He tired to make his point clear to the younger mare, “We may be able to save the city or we may not. Heck, they might pass right by us! However, we must take precaution...” He lightened his tone a bit and continued, “I know this seems dismal, but we have to fight and prepare the city’s defenses. The only way we can do this is if we have control of the Thunder Bell, and the only way to get to that is through the Mayor.”

Spitfire gave a long sigh and replied, “Fine. I agree with the prissy Canterlot Pony.”

“Watch your mouth, you cloud pusher! I’m only here to help you people out!”

Rainbow interjected, “You’re here to watch us and watch Cloudsdale fall!”

“Enough,” Spitfire shouted over the two. Her attention went first over to Valiant saying, “You need relax, big guy. For a pegasus pony, you sure need to lighten up a bit." She then directed her attention to the cyan mare, "Rainbow Dash. Join us in this and protect your home, or go back to Ponyville and pray for a miracle. I know you know this place like the bottom of you hoof, we could use you and your speed.”

Rainbow Dash struggled with an appropriate answer, replying, “My friends though... if they knew of this, they could help. We can use the Elements of Harmony and stop all of this.”

Valiant came in to the conversation, “Only one other is a pegasus though, they can’t stay up here.”

“Twilight has conjured up spells and stuff, and they all have been able to walk on clouds before.”

“Perhaps, but the actual Elements of Harmony are still in Celestia’s possession."

Spitfire placed a hoof on the mare and consoled, “We don’t have time, we have to warn the Mayor now or never.” She rose up off the ground first with steady flapping and said to the others, “This way, you two. Follow me.” Valiant Steed and Rainbow Dash trailed behind the Wonderbolt over the cloudscape and towards the City Hall.

The three burst through the double doors of the City Hall and quickly trotted towards the front desk.

A light-purple pegasus secretary greeted the pony in front, “May I help you today, Miss Spitfire?”

“We’ll be seeing Mayor Hurricane now.” The secretary pony gasped while they continued down the hall.

She beckoned out, “Wait! You have to sign in first! Come back!”

“No time, miss. Sorry,” Rainbow Dash said in a hurry while following behind the two.

Spitfire slammed open the mayor’s doors. Behind a cloud-laden desk was the alerted and fearful mayor. He was a rounded pegasus stallion with a gray coat and a slicked back, black mane. He wore a stripped dress shirt with a button up long, black suit with a tail. He sported shinned, coal-colored shoes and a matching top hat with a gray feather stuck in one side. The cigar that he had once puffed gray smoke clouds from fell from his mouth and his crinkled, soft face spread in fear of the moment.

“What in bloody Tartarus is going on,” shouted the Mayor. The three halted before him as he got a good look at each of them. He cracked an angled smile across his face and inquired smoothly, “What’s a Wonderbolt, a stallion, and a little, blue pony doing in my damn office?” He hollered over them, “Security!” Two pony guards slide in front of the doorway to his office and Valiant turned towards them.

The two immediately knew who he was and Valiant scolded, “Don’t you even think about it. Leave us. Block the door.” The two did as commanded and the door behind them was sealed off from the rest of the building.

The mayor saw this and stammered, “Wh-who do you think you are?”

“A Six-Star General of Harmony, and you?” Mayor Hurricane’s face reddened as he pulled a handkerchief from his coat pocket and wiped his forehead of perspiration.

Mayor Hurricane wagged a hoof in front of Valiant, proclaiming, “You have no authority over them! Those are my guards! Not yours!”

“They know for a fact that I have higher authority over them.”

“Can we get a move on here,” broke in Spitfire. The group’s attention was set on her as she pounded her forearms on the table in front of her, knocking off the name title that read: “Skylar P. Hurricane - Mayor of Cloudsdale".

Spitfire pleaded with the mayor, “Sir, there is an army on your doorstep. We need to evacuate the city and prepare for their oncoming attack! You must ring the Thunder Bell!”

“My lady, you can’t be serious? Cloudsdale hasn’t been in a war since my ancestor Commander Hurricane fought against the Griffon Bandits. That was nearly seven hundred years ago! I will do no such thing, even if Celestia sent her General to beg–I won’t believe such nonsense!”

Spitfire grew closer to Hurricane’s face and said quietly in a detesting tone, “He died like a coward. He fled his people when Cloudsdale first fell. And when he returned, he was instead considered a traitor than a hero. Celestia had him beheaded publicly. He’s the reason why pegasi were frowned upon for centuries to come. They were all considered traitors to the pony race. Don’t make the same mistake your forefather made.”

He smirked and said, “And where did you get that silly information from? I will not have you slander my ancestor's name!” Spitfire only narrowed her eyes and backed off. Valiant approached the desk and pointed a hoof at the mayor directly.

“You are risking the lives of all of your citizens! You have to do this!”

Hurricane pressed his hooves together on the desk and replied calmly, “I’ll play pretend with you, if that’s what you want. Let’s say there is an army of... who knows coming this way. No one has ever come to the aid of the pegasi. Where was Canterlot when Cloudsdale was overran numerous times by the Griffons? Where was Canterlot during the Great Thirty Day Thunder Battle? All I’m asking is... where is Canterlot now? Did you bring an army to help us out?”

“Well, not yet, they are coming as soon as–”

“As soon as it’s too late. I don’t believe an army is coming because their isn’t an army coming and there won’t ever be! We’re still in Celestia’s Reign of Peace, you can’t possibly think an army would dare step a hoof in this region without it being severed off by the Princess herself. Please, tell me something I don’t know.” Rainbow Dash suddenly stepped aggressively in front of Valiant and grabbed the Mayor by his shirt collar.

“You listen here,” she spouted, fuming with built-up rage, “and you listen good! These great ponies came here to warn you about something coming that could kill innocents and you don’t give a manticore's hide to even acknowledge that they are right?” She began shaking the mayor vigorously as she continued, “I bet you sit in here all day and do nothing for your people! And you would continue to do so when there are creatures out there that are only out to kill, steal and destroy! Now I don’t know what’s coming and I haven’t seen it, but I believe Valiant Steed and Spitfire because I trust them–and you should too! Just take a look yourself and see if something is coming in the horizon you sorry excuse for a pegasus pony!” Valiant and Spitfire’s mouths were agape at what they just witnessed. Spitfire finally pulled off Rainbow Dash and the Mayor re-straightened his hat.

He huffed and replied, “Fair enough. I’ll do what the rainbow dyke says and–”.

His words were cut off by a hoof across the face from the rainbow mare. It didn’t knock the mayor over, but it toppled his hat out of the window behind his desk and left a hoof-printed, purple bruise on his right cheek. Again, Spitfire had to hold back the mare as she tried to fight her way out of Spitfire’s restraint.

She fumed, “I... am not... a dyke!” Hurricane put his hoof up to his lip and pulled it away to reveal that his lip was split and bleeding as well. He looked up at her with a shocked expression. He reached towards his desk, pulled open a drawer, took out another cigar and lit it.

He responded to the mare, “I believe we’re even now.”

The four made their way on top of an open lookout above the city hall. Their view out stretched over the city and even Canterlot could be spotted in the distance. Mayor Hurricane pulled his sporting spectacles out of his coat pocket and scanned the distant airspace.

“If anything,” the Mayor said aloud to the three, “an army would approach from the eastern mountains... I say, if an army were to attack us, even our pathetic excuse for a military here could hold them off. We could take an army of griffons of about a thousand, perhaps two-thousand if lucky.”

Valiant responded, “You’re correct on the fact that an army would approach from the eastern mountains, they are the lowest in the ranges and the easiest to cross by air.”

“However," he lowered his spectacles and turned towards the three, "I see nothing." He raised a hoof towards them and snarled, “Not only did you three lie to me, you broke into my office, assaulted me, and created pandemonium to–Celestia know’s–countless citizens in the city before me and in city hall.”

“Guys,” Rainbow Dash said, but no one heard her over the Mayor’s rant.

“...Your delusions will be your downfalls!”

“Guys...”

“...I’ll make it my personal goal to have you three locked up till eternity's end if I have to!”

“Guys!”

The trio’s attention turned to Rainbow Dash who was pointing high in sky behind them. They all looked to see where she was pointing to and their eye’s widened with horror. A large, mass cloud of blackness encompassed the western sky, coming closer and closer to the floating city.

“What... what is it,” sputtered Valiant Steed.

“Is that a storm cloud," wondered the flabbergasted the Mayor. "It can’t be griffons. By Jove, what an odd sight.”

“Changelings...” answered Spitfire, “lots and lots of Changelings.” She spun towards the mayor and blasted, “And we were cooped in your office while you could have believed us in the first place and prepared for this exact instance to happen! Now ring that damn Thunder Bell before I wring that fat neck of yours!” The Mayor swiftly pulled out a small, magitech device from his pocket the size of a matchbox and flipped a cap on it to reveal a small button.

He pressed his hoof down on it and breathed, “Fair enough.”

The Thunder Bell rang out over the cloudscape. Like the name, it gave off a monstrous thunderclap that alerted the entire city. It had been so long since it was used that ponies scattered to and fro in fear, not knowing what to do. Soldiers were scrambled in the air in a few minutes. They landed in different sections of the city where holes were opened in the cloud surface. Large, cloud spheres formed like droplets beneath the city and soldiers escorted citizens into the pods. As soon as one was filled, it dropped quickly and landed softly in the valley below, dispersing fog and pegasi. Dozens of pods were being dropped one by one and the soldiers tried emptying the city as fast as they could.

In a powerhouse at the edge of one of the city’s walls, a switch was flipped and the vibrant, white clouds became filled with electricity, which darkened its hue. In no time, all of the walls around the city were turned into storm walls, which spurted nearly uncontrollable bolts of lighting outward and above the city. The Rainbow Factory was shut down and the worker’s quickly escaped its confines, leaving it still operating without any pony on the job. Rainbow Dash looked over all of this from the lookout. She turned towards Spitfire with a look of fear plastered across her face.

Spitfire saw this replied to it, “Stay strong, Rainbow Dash. Stay strong and follow me to the bunkers. It’s time.”

At a great distance away was a rocky gully between two great ravines in the crest of a mountain. The view from this angle was a superior vantage overlooking the plains and skyline where Cloudsdale was located. Hexarch was informed of this location from his spies, who had crept into the lands before and scouted out places like these for the coming onslaught. The King and a few of his subjects had fortified the gorge only hours before the coming assault on the city; this was where he could watch and be informed of the battle while staying safe and secluded.

A temporary hive was weaved in between this secret place, a base of operations to say the least. Stray changeling soldiers and captains could be seen making relays to and from the front lines, delivering crucial information to Hexarch and the changeling generals. A lone changeling captain, garbed in dark blue armor from head to hoof, entered the central hive where Hexarch and his generals were. The King and higher ranked changelings were encircled around a table where they had constructed a miniature battlefield to put the distant engagement into a visible perspective. Hexarch acknowledged the advancing captain and swayed his attention over towards him. The captain bowed in respect and spoke swiftly of the current news.

“My Great One," he hissed, "news concerning the populous has reached our ears. The pegasi are starting to evacuate the citizens by dropping them in cloud pods below the city and onto the ground. They have also started the endow the city walls and above with an electrical current. We cannot enter the city until we surpass this. What shall we do, my Lord?” Hexarch rose his head slightly, pondering over the news. The generals behind him talked amongst each other after overhearing the news from the captain. The King turned and confronted his generals to motion them around the table and to have everyone’s attention.

“Sonssss of War,” Hexarch addressed to his generals, “You have heard the newssss. Let me hear your plans.” One bent over the circular table with one hoof in motion and the other holding himself upward over the desk.

He spoke directly, “Send a platoon to the lower reaches; apprehend the weak ponies and begin to harvest them. The ones that escape will flee to the other cities for sure and we will capture them once we invade the other townships. That is my plan for the escaping ponies.”

“I agree with General Alter,” another general spoke, placing a hoof on Alter’s shoulder. “As for the surprisingly defensive fortifications of the Cloudsdale, we could send hive volleys into the city, scrambling their soldiers and perhaps damage the city before they could retaliate. We would need the skyapults aligned around the city for this to cause a true affect.”

“May I offer my advice,” a third general said aloud, coming into the discussion.

“Proceeeeed,” hissed Hexarch.

“We must use our abilities to our advantage. We must send in a few spies and disguise themselves so that they can reach the power station in which the storm fortifications are powered from.”

“How do you suppose we do this, General Deffer,” asked general Alter.

“If there are safe ways for the citizens to escape under the city, there are obvious was of entering it.”

Hexarch, satisfied with his generals' plans, concluded with a snarl of a laugh, “Thissss shall do! Thissss shall do, indeed!” He turned back to the bowed Captain and said, “Transmit this to the generals in the ssssky, the battle shall begin with chaos... And speaking of chaos... thissss power,” he said while holding one of his hooves in front of his face. It began to glow vibrantly yellow with a magic the changelings had never seen before.

He grinned with satisfaction and continued, “Thissss power Discord has given me... it is quite incredible. Almost overwhelming!” He turned back towards his Generals and said to them, “This sssshall be our key to winning this war... flawlessssly.”

In a bunker not too far from Rainbow Factory, Spitfire, Rainbow Dash and Valiant Steed made their way through the clamor and commotion of pegasi soldiers arming themselves for battle. The poorly lit sanction was filled with scrambling soldiers who payed little to no attention to the tree. This place, Cloudsdale Cantonment, hadn’t seen action like this in many years and the soldiers were hardly prepared for such a large gathering of Changelings. In fact, none of them knew what a Changeling was, only Spitfire knew of them from older days and she was unaware as to why they would show up here of all places. However, she kept her mood intact and stayed focused on how to protect her city.

The three were met by three other pegasi in the middle of this mayhem. Rainbow Dash and the others stopped at once when approached by them. The three other pegasi were visibly dressed in the armaments of high ranking Cloudsdale soldiers. Two large Stallion captains stood beside their leading general of the Cloudsdale Military. The general in the middle was a smaller looking pony, but this one was highly decorated and geared in glimmering gold and sapphire. A blue-trimmed jewel armor which looked as if it had never seen a day of war in its life.

The middle pony sounded off to two other captains, “Salute your Six Star General of Harmony, colts!” The two other guards had no idea who Valiant was and what he was ranked, but upon this recent information they straightened up and raised their hooves to their foreheads, acknowledging the highest ranked pony in Equestria.

They saluted simultaneously, “Sir!” Spitfire and Rainbow Dash parted to let Valiant Steed step between them.

He respectfully gestured back, “At ease, stallions.”

The Cloudsdale general approached with a hoof out to shake. With the other hoof, the pony took off its helmet to reveal a long mane and a face of a mare. A look of astonishment came over the three when the general’s gender was revealed. The helmet had hid her entire face and eyes, and the armor itself made her almost look like a stallion, if it wasn’t for the stature and now noticeable shape of her body in the armor. Usually stallions were placed in the military ranks of Equestria, however this was an obvious expectation.

Her coat was a dark ash gray and her mane and tail was in a hue of lesser grays and darker whites. Her electric, vivid gold eyes shown through the most and her cutie mark was still hidden from view because of the armor. She introduced herself with a somber, respecting look in her eyes. She now spoke clearly without the muffle that her helmet gave her; and from it, her voice sounded more feminine than before.

“Valiant Steed, sir, I’m in charge of the Cloudsdale Military here. My name is General Marestorm and I am highly pleased you showed up. I wasn’t sure if Canterlot would answer our call so quickly.” She drifted the conversation over to the question, “Where are your forces then, General Valiant?”

“About that,” he stressed, “they are coming... but they’re not here, yet.” Marestorm’s immediate change of respect spiked to ferocity as she placed her hoof on Valiant’s chest and pushed him back.

She said with rising anger in her tone, “What do you mean? How come you only showed up? What type of general comes to battle with no soldiers at hoof?” Valiant surprisingly pushed back Marestorm and the two guards by her side stepped to her side.

He responded, “Cloudsdale isn’t the only place at war. All of Canterlot is about to go down with Equestria if we don’t hold off this swarm until back up arrives. I promise you Canterlot will answer your plea–a squadron is coming!”

Marestorm stepped through her guards and asked in a fiery tone, “What sort of trouble is Canterlot in?

“Far worse trouble than an army of this magnitude.”

The Cantonment shook as if a hurricane loomed above. Everyone inside struggled to stay to their hooves as the vibrations shook armor and weapons to the floor.

As the tremors ceased, Rainbow Dash blurted, “What was that?”

A pegasi guard flew through the room towards General Marestorm and alerted, “The swarm armies are beginning to cannonade the city, firing volleys of some sort of dark green goo and acid!” Another crash nearby the barricades sent everyone shaking and hitting the walls. They tried desperately to hold themselves up against the fortifications.

Another guard rushed towards Marestorm and distressed, “The armies, Ma’am, they are intersecting the escaping civilians from underneath the city. We have to stop the cloud spheres and find another way to protect the populous!” Marestorm froze in thought, not knowing what to do first. She was–in fact–a general, but had hardly seen battle during Celestia’s Reign of Peace. Valiant saw through to her and stepped forward to take command and orders.

He replied to each of the two soldiers separately, “We need to first return fire using the lightning ballistas on the edges of the city and try to take out their own skyapults.” He moved his attention over towards the other solider and replied to his warnings, “You need to cease the escape pods and move the citizens to somewhere else.”

“But where,” he wailed back in a sudden, uncontrolled fear.

“How about the Rainbow Factory,” Rainbow Dash answered instead of Valaint. Valiant turned and smiled at her quick answer.

He commended her, “At a girl!” He turned to both Rainbow and Spitfire and continued, “You two need to do this. I will go with General Marestorm, she’ll need my guidance.” The two nodded in affirmation and took off past the two generals. He turned back towards the fretful, coal-colored mare and requested, “You need to come with me. Look, I can tell you are shook up about all of this, but hang in there, help is on the way.” She stiffened up, filled with her once repressed duty again.

“Right,” She grabbed Valiant’s hoof quickly and yanked him forward out the door faster than both Spitfire and Rainbow Dash.

Before Dash and Spitfire left the barricades, they suited up in proper fitting battle armor. Spitfire raced ahead of Dash who was pushing her way through the crowds of soldiers that were still in the cantonment. Spitfire looked upward into the city skyline to see the volleys the guards warned Marestorm about. They were large balls of webbing and dark acid matter, which produced a trail of thick smoke pluming behind each one. The city was being bombarded heavily and if nothing was done in a few hours, the city would be annihilated into nothing but fog.

She turned back towards Rainbow Dash, who was just now coming out of the doorway, and yelled, “Hurry!”

The Rainbow mare had stopped too when she had view of the skyline. Her mouth was gaped open in shock as to what horror had fallen upon her home. A sudden volley hit a nearby stanchion holding up a part of the upper loft of the city. Rainbow Dash saw this occur, but Spitfire did not, for it was behind her.

The strike from the missile formed a large impact crater in the side of the massive pillar as it began to crumble into cloud bits. The falling, heavy laden cloud chunks from the pillar took Spitfire by surprise as she was caught off guard. Rainbow Dash burst into a speedy flight to try and swoop Spitfire away from the falling clouds, but it was too late. They both were caught underneath the falling debris and the two were slammed by the pillar’s shattered remnants.