• Published 26th Oct 2012
  • 5,745 Views, 303 Comments

Slave of Eternity - Secrets and Lies



Chaos descends upon the land. The Immortal Man will discover the genesis of Equestria. The Slave comes.

  • ...
14
 303
 5,745

30

Author's Note:

Revised January 21st, 2014

(30)

A sudden rush of cold air swept over Zachary, and when he opened his eyes, everything seemed to blur together in black, brown and gray hues. Gradually, his vision adjusted to the area around him and his senses began to process where he was. Zack found himself still atop the Panexus, but around the artifact he stood in a field of tall grass. A hill stretched up before him, and over it was a worn, stone path that snaked through the chest-high grass and thickets, twisting over the hill and out of sight.

The air was surprisingly cold, and a strong, salty scent blew in the wind. Long gusts whipped his clothing and hair with every strong gale that grazed by him. The weather gave way to a dreary, cloudy and bleak day. A blanket of darkened clouds stretched over and beyond the horizon, blotting out the sun and obscuring what the time of day was. His nipped ears picked up the howling sounds of the wind and the fluttering greenery brushing up against one another.

Zack had nearly forgotten about the two ponies beside him as Pinkie blurted out, “This place is freezing! Where are we?” Zachary removed a part of his robe, revealing a simple, tan and thin shirt. He then placed the large robe around the shivering mare as she looked up at him and gave him a warm grin.

He crossed his arms, feeling the bite of the frigid air, and asked the same, “We’re not in Equestria, are we?” Celestia was unfazed by the temperature as she looked out over the sea of grass before her. Though she had been here plenty of times before, something hypnotic transfixed her vision on the bleak world around her.

She answered as cold as the air around them, “We are no longer in Equestria’s realm. We’re in a neutral, nearly uninhabited zone at the foot of the Tramplevanian Alps.”

She went on after taking a long breath, “Five hundred kilometers southeast, following the coastline, would bring you back into the most western province of Equestria. Only one hundred kilometers west would bring you into the Ib’xian Empire, home to the Capra.” She spoke as if she had recited these facts over and over again. Though it was hardly any useful information, Zack felt informed and admired her information given.

Celestia looked over at Zachary and concluded, “Enough about that for now. Please, follow me.” The alicorn began to make her way through the tall grass as Zack fell behind. Pinkie Pie suddenly leaped onto Zachary’s back, and just as quickly he wrapped his arms around her hind legs, securing her safely. The two turned to look at one another and smiled happily–it reminded them both of days gone by. As Zack began to maneuver through the itchy and tall vegetation, he finally made it onto the old, rocky pathway. The road was narrow and he felt as if he was squeezed between the wavering, high grass. He could tell the path was also old, the stones used in it were large and flat, letting no greenery seep between even the smallest of the gray stones.

A light mist began to fall over them as he followed the alicorn up the hill. Ever since he arrived here he had felt uncomfortable. He would have expected Celestia to find him a better, more hospitable place to live in. He would have enjoy to live somewhere more south of the border–perhaps by a beach or on an island he thought. As he made it up the hill finally, a much grander view unfolded before him.

They had been traveling along a rocky cliffside that appeared broken and jagged, as if it had torn off from a larger land mass long ago. The tall grass stretched on and on in all directions it seemed, except to his left; and to Zachary’s left below the cliff was–in fact–a beach far below the fractured cliff-face. In the rushing water were great spires and pillars of rock that towered in size over many of the large buildings in Canterlot. Massive archways that formed natural tunnels and leaning columns half buried in the sand could be seen further in the mists of salty air and fog. The large boulder and rock formations in the water and down the beach were like the ghosts of giants. The frozen and vigilant sentinels keeping guard of the old coast were ever watchful with ancient eyes and daunting in sheer size.

As the plateau inclined before him and where the pathway ended was a small cottage. Beside this log home was the only tree he had seen so far upon his arrival. It was stripped of its leaves and its trunk twisted around towards its gnarled, wind-swept branches. It stood by the tiny house, and both were like two very different and old friends, watching the waves crash below. The home was safely nestled close by the cliff, overlooking a dark and rough sea. To Zachary’s right, beyond the hills and plains of grass, loomed foreboding and tattered mountains that stretched up above the clouds. Only the roots of the ranges could be seen on this overcast day, its summits were hidden by the pall-sown veil.

As they continued onward along the path towards the small cabin, Pinkie looked out over Zachary, admiring the strange sights herself. Zack kept focus on the trail, but mostly was focused on the bewildering feeling that came with the location. He couldn’t help it, but he felt secure and safe in this grim place. A greater mystery lie dormant here Zack thought, yet he continually wondered what peculiar, strange senses piqued his body and mind.

As they finally reached the house, the sound of crashing waves upon the low-tide beach far below echoed upward along the rock-face and became audible to the group. The tall vegetation stopped before the end of the path, revealing much shorter and softer grass for the front yard. The lawn before the home stopped only when the cliff began, making it a sharp descent if one was to foolishly traverse the yard. From afar, the house looked more like a poorly maintained shanty, but now that he was closer, he noticed the finer details of the home. The whole dwelling seemed refurbished and new, even lamp lights flickered out through the windows as if someone was living there already. The front of the cabin had a nice sheltered porch, two windows on both sides and a cherry oak door with a bright, brass colored knob.

The three then proceeded up onto the dry, stone and wood-laden veranda to the front door, and when they arrived Celestia opened the door with her magic. The warmth of its interior flowed outward into the frigid, costal breeze and Zack and Pinkie wasted no time entering into the cabin to escape the cold and drizzle. Celestia closed the door behind her, feeling the warmth of a nearby fireplace sooth her damp and chilled fur. A fire crackled in the corner of the room, making the shadows dance upon the wall, floor and occupants in the foyer. Zack stood silently in the small parlor room, looking over every little detail. Pinkie had made her way onto one of the couches and cuddled with the pillows like she was in her own room, though inadvertently making the cushions soggy from her moist coat.

Almost everything that was in his old home in Ponyville was moved into this much smaller and more cozy house. His own couch, recliner, tables, rugs, sheets, chests, drawers, shades, and knick-knacks were placed about the new home elegantly. Even the home was improved with higher ceilings, door frames and appliances that suited his height. It was much smaller than his original home, but seemed more homey and pleasant to live in. Celestia showed Zachary the other rooms of his new home, which there weren’t many of. Pinkie–who quickly drifted off to sleep–rested on the couch undisturbed.

All in all, his new beachside home consisted of a parlor room, a split kitchen and dining room, library, bedroom, bathroom, and a few closets. One door had not been opened however when Zachary thought the tour was completed. Celestia wanted it to be a surprise, but followed behind Zachary as he curiously entered it. The door lead to a darkened basement; he used his magic to conjure a floating ball of flame in front of him to see what was down below. When he reached the bottom step, it became clear to him that on every side of the narrow and cramped cellar spanned massive shelves of emergency water and rations. From the steps, Zachary couldn’t see the wall on the other side of the room and wondered how far it spanned.

Celestia spoke up, “There is a multitude of various foods stored here, enough to feed everypony in Ponyville for several months in fact. The food and water here is sealed in magic-infused containers, so you never have to worry about it spoiling or rotting.” She placed a hoof back on the bottom step and said, “Come up stairs, we have more to talk about.”

Upon leaving the basement, Zack took a seat in his large armchair in the parlor room as Celestia sat herself down on the sofa, curling her legs up underneath herself. Pinkie awoke after her short-slept nap and waddled over to Zack in a half-awake haze. Like a cat, she crawled into Zachary’s lap and laid her head down as Zack stroked her mane. Once everyone was comfortable, Celestia began to inform him more on the house and where he was exactly.

“This area is called Rhignes Rock, it is merely a landmark for the highest reaching sea tower which is on this coastline, Blackrock Bay. Rhignes Rock was once believed to be a gateway to worlds beyond, worshipped by the followers of the Foreseer. Not much is known about the history of the landmark itself, but what is known more so is that a great battle was fought in grassy hilltops long ago.

A rapid war was waged between the Capras and the Griffons, lasting only a day and a night. Their legions spanned for miles across and there was much bloodshed on both sides. In the end, the Griffons pushed back the Capra and on the other side of the Tramplevanian Alps they remained in their mountain kingdoms. This was before Equestria and the Griffon Kingdoms waged war, yet still the people remain silent in their solitude, cut off from the world beyond. I left you a few books concerning both races and their battles if you wish to know more, but I’d like to go over a few more things with you about this place.

You most likely felt it, a strange feeling of serenity and protection. This is because there is a stream of magic that flows between here. Ley energy is what it is called, you may have heard of it. Ley energy can be altered by anything, most prominently in the pony race it is used by unicorns. Ley lines flow over the world in great, fractured rivers that cannot be seen by the naked eye. One of these lines flow over Rhignes Rock, making this area in particular a very magical place.”

Zack didn’t notice at the time, but Celestia was using her magic to make tea in the kitchen. When she had finished and poured herself a cup, it zipped into the parlor room and levitated before her. She also hovered a cup of tea before Zachary and without question he took it in his hands. As he put the cup to his mouth, he thought about how truly intriguing this information was. Even when he arrived to Equestria, he always loved learning new and exciting things about this world. This was far from boring to him, but Pinkie seemed to disagree as she fell asleep again.

He commented on Celestia’s information after taking a sip of the hot and fragrant beverage, “I hope you know I’m finding all of this really interesting.”

“I’m glad you do,” she happily replied. “You always seem to.”

Zack stirred the tea a bit while wondering aloud, “I’m surprised this information about ‘ley energy’ isn’t in any of the books of magic I’ve read about in the Royal Library.”

“That is why I have added more books from my personal collections into your own library here, with information like this and more. Hopefully you’ll learn everything you need to know about this world and more from those books.”

A mental note within Celestia paused her thinking. She had almost forgotten about the ‘actual truth’ she had learned from the Foreseer not so long ago. It all came rushing back to her, the horrible knowledge it had given to the alicorn. She fought with herself, wondering if she should go on to tell Zachary such a secret. She wanted to tell him at the right time, and not during the past climatic events.

“Would this be an appropriate time,” she thought deeply, but quickly on the choice and its repercussions. She looked over at Zack, who wasn’t paying any attention to her at all. He was simply watching Pinkie nap in his lap, almost lost in thought himself. Celestia then decided not to tell him the truth, not to inform him on what the Foreseer had shown her, or even bring up the fact that she met with the spirit deity.

The silence was broken by Celestia when she digressed calmly, “I think it is time I depart.” She hovered the now empty tea cup onto a nearby table and rose up onto her hooves. It was odd to Zack that she would leave at such a moment and he shot upwards onto his feet as well. Pinkie rolled off of Zachary and onto the floor; the sudden awakening woken the mare in a frantic jolt. She then sprung up calmly and looked up at the two without a word to say.

“You’re leaving now,” Zack asked with hesitation, rubbing the back of his head with a look of confusion on his face.

“I’m afraid I have to. I do have a country to run–that and it is a Tuesday. I’m expecting Twilight to send me a friendship report.” Zack began to think it was a sorry excuse to leave; but before commenting on her motives to depart, Pinkie hopped upward in their line of sight.

She cried out, “Do I have to leave too?”

As she fell back onto her hooves, (after a strange amount of prolonged airtime) the alicorn replied, “You can stay tonight. I will come back tomorrow and you’ll go home.”

“You don’t have to leave,” Zack called out to her as she proceeded to the door.

“Zachary,” she looked over at him with a crestfallen expression, “we have to move on eventually. You wanted this, remember that.”

It was true, Zack desired this. Even though it had fled his mind for a short while, he still wanted to be away from Equestria, to pursue his purpose and destiny alone. He looked down at the saddened Pinkie Pie, who’s attention was fixed on the exiting Princess. Zack knew the hardest part of all this would be leaving Pinkie. As the door closed, the two were silent for quite sometime.

The day went on and Zack and Pinkie went out onto the cold beach, walking and talking along the coastline. They had found their way down the cliff after discovering a set of old, stone stairs carved out of the cliff itself. It crisscrossed downward at a steep descent; you had to be very careful when navigating it, especially when it was slippery with rain. Without injury, they made their way down onto the beach. The coast itself was long and flat, it was made up of dark sand and large stones that had tumbled and broken off of the cliffs. Small, red crabs scurried along the beach, making their daily routes as puffins and other seafaring birds circled about and rested on the stones and sand. The slight misting had stopped, but the wind and chill was still present, hugging the beach’s edge.

The two walked on as far as they wanted and traveled back when the light of day was departing. Zack described–in detail–the events in Firelight Woods as Pinkie listened intently. He told her about the giant, winged lizard named Varamara, that chased him through the ancient forest. He then told her about meeting the draconequine, and also about his vision of ages ago in the woods. He went on to talk about the Equadeus Arx, Excubris and the mare named Moonsinger. It was a long discussion on his half, and after about an hour of going over nearly every detail with the pink pony, she figured it would be right to tell him of what he missed. Pinkie talked about her daily routines and what her friends had been up to before the changeling invasion. He eventually came to realize nothing seemed to happen on her end of the world; and even though it was rather boring and casual, he took in her words as attentively as she did with his.

Night came, yet Zachary found no sleep. The waves that crashed far away could be heard from his bedroom, and even though they were very harmonious, he could not fall asleep. Pinkie lay next to him in his bed, cuddled up by his side as he lay awake staring at the blank ceiling above. His thoughts and worries seemed to cave around him, and he wasn’t sure if this was the right choice anymore.

The next day arrived and Zachary fixed breakfast in a tiresome stupor. He sat down with the high spirited mare as she ate her flapjacks. Pinkie enjoyed the time with Zachary still, even if they were quiet. After their meal, they sat around, almost as if waiting for Celestia to show up. Zachary started a fire and the two sat in the hearth, watching the flames frolic and sway. They were silent for some time still, but both enjoyed this time in each others presence. The two knew this would be their last hours, and were quite fine spending it this way.

The Princess arrived in the late afternoon, prolonging her return as long as possible for the two. As Celestia made it over the hill from the Panexus, she noticed the smoke billow from the cabin’s chimney. There was hardly any wind and the clouds were scattered today as the amber sky was visible and more clear. The time was nearing nightfall as she entered the home slowly and the two rose to greet her. They all left the house, but Zachary stayed on the porch alone. It was time to depart and he let the pink pony go on; but she turned back around and walked up to him. He smiled when she stopped before him–this was the moment he long dreaded.

“Zack,” Pinkie began in a calm manner, “stop by Ponyville sometime. Do that trick with that mask again, no one will know who you are.” Zack nodded, unsure as to what to say. She went on, “I hope you find what you’re looking for...” Zack bent down and hugged the mare. She pushed away from him after kissing him on the cheek and saying farewell. Celestia came forward and hugged him as well, though this time he didn’t need to bend down to hug the tall alicorn.

“Thank you,” she expressed in almost a murmur. “Thank you for everything, and even being a part of my life. Thank you for showing me the light again.”

Afterwards, the two ponies turned and made their way across the lawn and onto the pathway. Zachary watched with a burdened heart, trying his best to mentally remember the scene before him, so that he could replay it in his head for years to come. Pinkie pressed on, but a sudden notion came over her. Worries began to plague her mind, and true sadness crept up as if from no where. She tried to stay strong, she tried to stay calm, but every worry and tendency to do the opposite seeped through her essence and form. Her muscles tensed up and her eyes began to water. Her breathing hastened and her legs seemed to freeze with tension. She stopped on the stone path with her head down and body trembling. Zack noticed from afar that the pink pony halted in her departure; he wondered what had happened. Celestia turned and saw the glum look on the pink pony’s now reddened face, she knew Pinkie’s goodbyes weren’t enough.

She turned back towards her friend and the two locked eyes. She then sprinted forward, her eyes obscured with tears. As she darted off of the path and onto the lawn, she tumbled into the grass and Zack ran for her. He slid downwards and held the mare tightly against his body. Pinkie couldn’t hold it back anymore and she wept loudly for Zack. Her cries brought forth tears in his eyes as he grieved aloud as well. This moment was no time to hold back true feelings from either of them.

“Please,” she begged, “Please don’t do this! I love you, Zachary! You’re the only one that truly understands me! I love you so much!” She lifted her head out of his chest and the two looked into each others crying eyes.

“It’s hard for me too,” he said in a quivering, feeble voice, “but we all have to move on; it’s nature, Pinkie. We have to go on! We have to be strong! Both of us do.” He smiled as tears rolled around his cheeks and onto his chin. He desperately wanted to just say no and to move back into Ponyville just for her sake. Half of him knew that staying in Rhignes Rock was the right thing to do, but the other half pleaded to remain with Pinkie Pie. He had to keep going though. He had to stay strong and show her that he was still strong.

He went on in dry breathes, “There’s so much more in this world, and it’s beautiful and you have to realize this. Staying in one place is not what you were made to do. There’s so much beauty in the world, and we all have a purpose and right to see this and discover who we really are.” He pulled Pinkie closer and pointed upward saying, “Look up there, Pinkie.”

Zack, Pinkie and Celestia looked up into the darkening sky. The stars began to shine out in a great multitude as their eyes were transfixed on the heavens. The distant and ancient wonders shinned in their glistening eyes, filling them all with childlike awe.

“When you look up at the stars at night, remember that I’ll be looking up at the same ones. Know this and remember that you’ll never be alone.”

Pinkie felt a warm comfort overtake her being, and knew that Zachary was right. They hugged once more as he wiped the tears from her eyes.

And those were the last words he said to Pinkie Pie.

Far to the east, in the heart of the Icicle Mountains, rested the quiet and secret city known as Gryphus. A new snow was falling with the night and the great Kyanite Castle glowed in a ghastly, blue light as great fires were lit on the edges of the palace. The castle was near silent, with only the sounds of crackling fireplaces and the patrolling griffon and broad-shouldered hound guards. Far beyond the knowledge of many in the city–even the long dead masons and craftsmen themselves who built the castle–knew not of the hidden chambers littered about the stronghold. In one of these many rooms was the ruler himself, Vallak, hidden away from the rest of his guards. The secluded chamber was in the highest area of the castle, a place where the king of the griffons would hold his secret meetings.

The room itself was of a cube, made of the same deep blue bricks the outer castle was made of. The edges of each brick glowed with enchantment; an ancient magic locked himself inside of the squared-off area and hid it away much like the Enigma Chamber in Canterlot Castle. The black feathered monarch, with his crimson pelt coat draped around his shoulders and chest, bowed before a mystic object. It hovered upright before him by its own will. It was a twisted and possessed staff, woven in a black wood and scorched, dark metal. The head of the stave weaved around a levitating, blood-colored gem, prisoning it behind gnarled wood.

With his head still bowed, Vallak began saying, “I have answered your summons, master. We are alone.”

“This I can see,” bellowed the staff. The haunting gem atop it glowed and dimmed with each word it uttered; and the words echoed about the room as if the chamber spoke itself.

The malicious spirit in the staff went on, “A great spirit has left this world, one whom I had awakened. He had powers far greater than anything this universe had birthed, yet still he failed. Yet still... he was a fool till the end. Underestimating a being so fragile that even you yourself could have crushed him.”

Vallak looked up with emerald eyes, which gleamed in the darkness of the room, “This all happened in Equestria, correct? I received word from our spies that they were victorious against the Changelings. I did not believe it, how could they have won?”

“Do not underestimate the equine, for they hold a weapon that even the greater ones fear and tremble. The lord of chaos has fallen to this being which cannot, and should not exist.” Vallak swallowed, suppressing his troubled feelings.

He then asked with new vigor, breaking away from the topic of the equine’s weapon, “Is this the time to attack? Their armies are weakened, my griffons can easily take them! I’m sure with my warriors, closely reaching ten thousand, even this ‘secret weapon’ cannot withstand our onslaught.”

“We are not prepared, even if your armies are ten times greater in number. We have waited and watched, so we shall wait and watch again.” Those words burned inside of Vallak. Nearly a decade had passed since he found the stave known as ‘The Afflicter’. Its wise, deceitful words twisted such intricate details and cunning ideas into his ear. The staff had told him long ago that if he, Vallak, followed his desires, then he shall surely take Equestria without fail. He told the Griffon King to be patient, and though Vallak’s patience had been worn thin over the years, he still trusted the staff. Whether he believed the Afflicter’s promises or not, he could not surely determine anymore.

The Afflicter spoke on, “A time will come when we shall strike and they shall fall. When our numbers reach the hundreds of thousands, we shall take Equestria and hold supremacy over Arteria.”

Vallak was taken back by The Afflicter’s words as he stammered, “M-my lord, reaching that number will take at least a century. Gryphus would not be able to home such an army of that size. Is there not another way?”

“Your allies have fallen silent, but allies they remain, timid Vallak. May I remind you of the few whom have eluded your mind? The equines of Hoovegorod, despisers of the Equestrians seeking revenge; who were driven out because of their barren flanks. The trolls of Ravaged Ravine, the centaurs of the Gleaming Pines, the hounds of the Edgeless Plains. All will serve when war is demanded against the proud ponies who hide behind their ivory walls and Princesses. Yet still, with their aid in invading Equestria now, it would not be enough to snuff them out. Yours–and their numbers–must grow still.”

Vallak questioned, “How long then must we wait?”

“Until peace blinds them yet again.”

Ten Months Later

Black waves with white foamed caps calmly tumbled over a bronze beach. The ocean was relatively gentle as a gray-blue sky lit the quiet morning. The silent atmosphere was tattered with sweeping clouds caught in the cool, high winds. The wet sands that hugged the edge of the land and sea reflected the hazy mirror of the sky. The early hours of the day were still dim and giving way to the lingering night. The sun–far off to the east–remained hidden behind gray mountains of cumuli. The late Winter’s temperature fled with night as a cool breeze blew across the hidden coast and along the cliffs at its edge.

A stray piece of wood floated up and onto the beach, smoothed by the salt and water. Its bark had broken away, revealing a beige wood underneath. It had floated far from its home, lost for months out in the unknown waters of Arteria. Finally it had made its way back to solid ground, and as it rested on the pale beachside, something came to pick it up. It was carried further away from the water’s edge and up the beach. When it had reached the foot of the sprawling cliff side, the being who had grabbed it stopped and sat itself down on a withered log that too had once been floating amidst the sea.

The piece of shattered and naked sea wood–no larger than a grapefruit–was fondled around in the creature’s delicate hands. Its fingers caressed and lightly glided over the face of the wood, feeling it and its defects. One of its hands broke away from the wood and reached for something beside it on the log. It pulled from the toppled tree a small, straight-edged knife that was once firmly thrusted in its bark. The blade came into contact with the wood’s surface as the creature began to whittle and carve it into something more suiting to its desires.

The being who did this was a human, and his name was Zachary. Though he never aged, he had grown older by the changes to his appearance and clothing. He had wrapped himself in warm, pale-hued clothing and his face sported a rough and sharp beard. His hair was longer than when he left Equestria and his regal and well-cut appearance was forgotten and put away for a more comfortable mien. His hands and fingers were thick with calluses, as he found a passion with working with wood. The man’s hazel eyes saw the sculpture through the withered timber and sought to break it free from its wooden prison.

He would do this every morning in almost a religious fashion. No matter what the weather was like, he would walk along the beach until he found a stray log or piece of wood. He would usually find one good piece in the few miles he walked up and down the beach side. Even if he didn’t find one, he would not be crestfallen. He knew in that time he spent a good while thinking and pondering about the few important things in his life.

After an hour, he took a break from the carving and sat it down in the sand. He had shaved away enough to see a form taking shape, a form which resembled a four-legged creature of some sort. He sat on the log with his hands on his knees, looking out over the charcoal-colored sea. On this particular morning he decided that instead of heading back up to his cottage to do his daily routine of chores and time-passing activities, he would go on another walk along the beach. He rose to his feet and did so.

He ambled along the ebony beach with his cold hands in his pockets; his ragged clothing gently waving in the wind that swept along behind him. His mind began to become active again–it usually did when he was walking in silence. He began to think more and more on things he truly wished to not think about. Yet he learned overtime to accept what his mind wanted to ponder on and not to fight it.

Zack was eighteen when he reached Equestria, or at least he thought he was. It was difficult to remember his age at that time for some reason–he had even forgotten his birthday and was given a birth date by his pink friend on March twentieth, the day he arrived to this magical, alien place. He figured now he was around twenty-five years old, almost twenty-six in a month; and would have never imagined that several years ago he would be here in this odd world, who had accomplished things he would have never imagined himself doing. With even the choice to return to Earth, he would never accept it; and he would never accept returning to Equestria from what had happened. He was lonely still, but was comforted by the fact that Equestria, according to the letters he receives from Celestia every so often, is truly in peace.

He kept receiving letters from Celestia, but over the months their numbers had fallen. He had not replied to any of them, but read them all–except for certain ones. The ones he didn’t read were sent by Pinkie Pie, who Celestia bundled with her letters and Valiant’s messages. He dared not break the seal of her parchments, he thought that by reading one he would desire to travel back when he knew he couldn’t. It was the solitude he so desired and continued to desire, and with it, it kept him sane and at peace.

He never meant to stay here at Rhignes Rock for too long, but he felt stable and feared traveling beyond its confines. He wanted to see what was out there in this strange world and he knew he could handle his own, but with reluctance he stayed. He was unsure as to why he did it, and this was the only trouble that clung to him still. He had traveled so far already, yet still he held himself to this dreary, yet serene coast.

He looked up for a moment, still walking along the beach, to see the fabled Rhignes Rock, standing tall out of Black Rock Bay. Like a broken pillar that once held up heaven, its jagged form lay sleeping as the waves crashed around it. He had seen it plenty of times before, but something caught his eye far beyond it. He stopped and watched, squinting his eyes to see what was daintily shimmering far off in the silver skies. What appeared to be a single star that declined to fade with the night moved slowly and high over the sea. As Zack wondered what it was, it proceeded to go faster and shine brighter. It grew larger, falling closer towards Zachary’s location. An amber tail of radiance sprouted from its descent, revealing that this object was a comet.

Zack had to cover his eyes as its brightness shone forth like a second sun. It flared over the water, lighting the sea below in an amber glow. It sailed beyond him and was nearing impact with the coast. Zack watched as it slammed into the far off beach before him, giving off a massive explosion. The shockwave it produced sent him to the ground as a deafening blast followed in its wake. Fire and earth bellowed upward in great mounds which could be seen for miles around; Zack had no idea what had just happened.

He quickly sprung to his feet and raced down the beach, never realizing that the celestial object fell miles away when he thought it was much closer. After reaching it in almost an hour’s time, the devastation of its impact widened his eyes with awe. A large crater was formed in the beach, reaching below even the sand to the rocky crust of the planet. The cliffside had broken away into a mound of rubble, which partly fell into the newly formed cavity in the beach. Seawater rushed into it on the other side of the crater, splashing down in great waterfalls and torrents. Fish sputtered and flopped about on the rocks below as the crying gulls quickly swooped into the hole and snatched them up. Zack looked into the crater from its edge to see what had fallen exactly, but the earth, sand, water, smoke and fire that lined the bowl-shaped depression made it hard to tell.

With his curiosity piqued, he began to slowly descend into the crater. He knew he had to be quick before the water and rubble would swallow up whatever it was that fell from beyond. He jumped and lunged from rock to rock, sliding down dunes of sand and leaping over fires from toppled trees and brush along the once stable cliffside. As he maneuvered through the smoke, he finally saw what had fallen, and it wasn’t what he expected.

In the lowest point of the crater lay an unconscious, dark blue coated unicorn. Her long, silver mane was tattered and split over her form as she appeared lifeless and defeated by the impact. Then it came to him who she was and he staggered back in disbelief.

“Moonsinger...” he muttered with hastening breath. His heart pounded as he scurried towards her. He dropped to his knees once he approached her side and leaned her head up onto his lap. He noticed her rhythmically pulsing chest; he listened to her broken and faint breathes inhale and exhale through her nostrils and he knew she was still alive. He scooped her up in his arms and began to make his ascension.

Zack laid her in his bed and watched her as she slept. He wasn’t sure what more he could do for her as he sat in the corner of the room with his hand rubbing his overgrown, brown stubble. He had cleaned her up and mended her surprisingly moderate physical wounds, but was unsure as to what else to do. He knew this wouldn’t be the end of her, he had seen her die almost a year ago in Equadeus Arx. If she would remember Zack or not remained a mystery to him.

As Zachary awaited for her to awake, he passed time by continually carving more detail into the driftwood he found earlier that day. He hadn’t realized it, but her eyes slowly blinked open as his attention was captivated by his diligent sculpting. She turned her head towards him slowly, rustling the feather pillow beneath her head. Moonsinger didn’t say a word as she watched him work, wondering when he would notice her. He suddenly felt eyes upon him and gently laid the knife and the crude wooden pony on the bedside table. He looked down at her, but he was lost for words as their eyes met.

“Zachary...” she said softly. Zack came to her side on the bed and knelt down to his knees.

“Moonsinger,” he replied in a light voice, almost as if to match her weary tone. The unicorn smiled and placed a hoof on his cheek. Even though he hardly knew this mare, he didn’t feel the need to stray away from her touch.

She rubbed the side of his face and beard while saying, “You look so... old. I know you’re immortal, but still.” She removed her hoof back and rested it atop the blankets with her other hoof.

She continued, “What do you remember of me?” He thought for a moment, eyes drifting across the wall behind her. He brought his attention back and recalled their meeting in Equadeus Arx.

“Well, you’re lost in time. You’ve met me before... and you died when I first met you.” She looked over the bed away from Zack and surprisingly smiled at the comment.

“Do you know,” she questioned Zack with certainty in her voice. “how many times I have met you?”

“This will be our second meeting.” He changed the subject around and stated, “You fell from the sky not too long ago. Luckily I was there to save you.”

Moonsinger turned her head towards the human and replied dryly, “Are you sure I wasn’t the one saving you?” Zack blinked with confusion, unsure what she meant by that.

He stood up, pointed back towards the door with his thumb and digressed, “I’ll go make some tea and bring it to you.”

“No, that’s quite alright,” she returned, rebuking the second half of his offer. Her horn glimmered as the blankets were folded neatly off of her body. She stepped down off of the large bed and onto her hooves. Zack noticed she was healed of her physical injuries, yet didn’t question why, knowing that the obvious answer would be, ‘magic’.

She looked up at him and finished, “I’ll join you, wherever we may have tea.”

The two were found on the porch, swaying steadily on rocking chairs while looking over the shimmering black sea. The wind had calmed a bit and the temperature rose with the rising sun. Moonsinger was curled up on a large rocking chair, levitating a saucer and tea cup. Zack sat close by in his own chair, slowly sipping and enjoying his dark, hot tea. Moonsinger noticed that on the porch railings were dozens of wooden sculptures, each resembling a different pony. She noticed a few she could name, like Celestia and Luna, but most were unknown to her and assumed the other carvings were of Zachary’s friends. Oddly, a large portion of the multi-sized wooden figurines he had carved were of the same, curly headed mare.

Zack was looking out over the sea when he started off by saying, “I assume you have no clue as to why you fell from the sky.”

She returned her focus towards him replying, “I’m afraid I don’t. It seems every time I visit the future–always unwilling of course–I have no way of knowing how I got there. It seems like my memory is split in half as well, one memory involving my own time, another memory involving the places and events that take place while I time traveled. Now I remember our first meeting and others before it, but I can’t remember much about my time or the events in it.” Zack made no comment, but she knew he was listening; she didn’t expect him to say anything afterwards anyway. Zack then questioned her again, staring off over the ocean once more as if searching for something.

“So you have no idea why you’re here?”

“No clue.”

“It seems to me–and it would make sense–that you find me during troubling times.”

“With hindsight, I agree.” She looked over at him and casually asked, “So what troubles you?”

Zack looked into his empty tea cup and replied unknowingly, “I don’t know. I’m happy, the world’s at peace. I don’t need to do anything for anyone, anymore.”

“You’re happy that you’re away from the friends you made in Equestria?”

“No, I’m happy for myself, I’m content and so are they.”

“But you’re not truly happy.”

He paused for a moment to gather his thoughts, letting the chill wind sweep through the porch interior and over his body.

“I want to stay out of the affairs of the ponies, because if I’m there, there will always be trouble. That and well, I’ve looked at my life on a grand scheme. I nearly lost my mind, and in those trials I felt that I had been limiting myself and my potential. If I stay in one spot, I’ll never get to see this world.

He leaned back and reminisced aloud, crossing his interlocked hands and fingers behind his head, “When I first came to Equestria, I wanted to see everything. I was so tired of where I came from, so fed up with the city life. I had always wanted to go out and see the world–”

“Charlotte?” Moonsinger added in a hesitant manner. She wanted to take back what she had said, for she knew at this time Zack had never told her about where he once was from. That information was given to her in Zack’s future.

He looked over at her and nodded, “Yes, Charlotte was where I once lived before I was teleported here to Equestria. I must have told you that in the future.” She was surprised he caught on to that underlying truth so quickly. He went on, “and even though I’m in an entirely new world, I never got that opportunity once I was tied down in Ponyville. But even though I left, I haven’t traveled far from this place to continue my adventure. Because what’s there to life without adventure? Or what’s there to living without discovering yourself?”

Moonsinger kept silent, but studious. She knew of Zack’s future and kept more of her knowledge hidden from him. She didn’t want to say too much like she had already done, but she kept the conversation onwards.

“So what’s stopping you from going out into the world.” He looked over at her with absolute uncertainty in his expression.

“I guess... I guess I’m afraid that I’ll never come home. I hate to say it, but I do. I would so desperately want to come back to Equestria, but I’m not sure if I want to go beyond the map, knowing that I’ll never return.”

“Zachary,” she said, interrupting him between breaths, “you will return... someday...” She smiled with assurance towards him. He knew she was most likely telling the truth, knowing that they had met again in the future. He gave a light grin as he leaned over and set the teacup on the porch railing. He set the ivory demitasse between a wooden sculpture of Valiant Steed and a sculpture of Gale Marestorm. Moonsinger noticed that in the corner of the porch leaned the fabled blade of hers and his, the Prevailer.

She remarked, “I see you still have the Prevailer.”

Zack looked over at the weapon and replied, “Yep, I still have your sword. It doesn’t have much use now, but it does chop wood very well.” He sat up from his chair and onto his feet. Moonsinger watched him walk over to the sword and pick it with ease, placing the wide face of the white blade on his other hand as he looked over it. It reflected a murky, silvery image of himself as he peered over the face and edges of the flawless weapon.

He noted, “No sign of age or wear; a truly magical artifact. But yes, it has no more use in this world.” He held it away from him and continued, “Peace, I pray, has been restored... I guess I really keep it out to just see it still in my possession. It gives me fond memories... and grievous ones too.” He brought the sword down and looked back at Moonsinger, “But I feel it’s time to go soon, and I won’t need this anymore.”

He began to traverse off of his porch and onto the lawn. Near the edge of the cliff jutted out a small overhang which was only made of gray granite. Zack stepped towards the edge and stopped, looking down at the rock face below his feet. He looked over the magical sword and with a firm strike, he thrusted the blade into the rock with both hands. It sunk into the old cliff edge like a needle through fabric.

He stepped back away from it as the white sword gleamed in the morning sun. It had seen its fair share of battle and use, and now Zachary laid it to rest. Whenever he would need it again, he would know where it was; but he knew that he would never have use for that sword again. Its purpose was long fulfilled. He turned back towards his porch and noticed that Moonsinger had vanished. She had said enough to cope him to leave this place, and he would do so soon when the time was right.

In a dark bedroom–lit only by a yellow, flickering candle–sat a attentive purple mare who was lost in thought. She was writing something out, and the quill she wrote with was flittering delicately by her unicorn magic. She was leaning over, deeply entranced by her own written thoughts. She couldn’t get comfortable for too long however, her new wings made her body strain as she readjusted and ruffled her feathers. She scribbled on in a her little, leather journal while she slowly read aloud each word as she wrote them.

The Case of the Mysterious Stranger:

A strange phenomena has been occurring across Ponyville, and perhaps beyond my village. It all started around four days ago, or at least it came to my knowledge then, that a few ponies came into the Ponyville Library looking for books on sleep aid and pain reliving remedies. They all seemed to be having the same, strange and reoccurring visions and dreams. Some have even told me that even though they know their dreams were only dreams, that they also felt that they actually happened. What I’m describing is a certain event that took place.

From what they have told me, in their dreams they were captured by these dark, bizarre looking ponies with piercing blue eyes. From what I can tell, these creatures resemble the changelings, the same ponies that tried to take over the Royal Wedding at Canterlot Castle. However, the dreams do not stop here.

They told me that they were captured and placed in changeling cocoons inside of town hall here in Ponyville. Eventually, they were rescued by the Princess and some other undeterminable ponies. However this is where the strange coincidences really merge in an odd way. They all remember a strange, bipedal figure. They praised him and in the dreams they said they knew who he was and congratulated him.

I asked each of them to try and describe the alien figure as best as they could, and all of them noted the same distinct features. It was male in gender, or so they thought. He was tall, had hands and feet, he was lacking a coat of fur (except on the top of his head, like a short, brown mane) and wielded a large sword that shined white. His name though, they could not remember. They said however that it was a strange name, very different than a regular pony’s name.

After they came and went, I thought more and more on this, and eventually–strange enough–I too began to recall this being. I remembered slowly, as if I began to recall a dream I had forgotten about as I made my morning routines. Even more uncanny is that more ponies have come into the library looking for the same books and describing the same dreams and creature in it. Every other pony I’ve asked around town has had the same dreams, but really no one seems to mind them too much. One’s who reported it earlier to me have since then stopped dreaming about the creature and the events–but I will not forget them. This is too critical and strange to forget. This is why I write this down, for I’m afraid that I too might forget about this creature as well.

I’ve written to the Princess about my earlier findings already, but have not received a response.

In sparse flashes of a distant memory it seems, I remember a being much similar to this description. Almost as if it was a memory that was erased from my mind and trying to reach out towards me. So I beg the question: Who is this mysterious stranger?

Who is this alien being who saved us from the changelings? Why can’t we remember him clearly and where has he gone? Does he still walk among us? Does this Princess know of this? What can we–”

Twilight Sparkle had quickly nodded off to sleep as the quill fell to the table and rolled onto the floor. Her head plummeted onto the table with a thud, and from the bump spilled a large inkwell over the table and her face. The black liquid overtook the parchment, and her findings were lost along with her memory of the event.

From the dark shadows of her home, appeared a white hooded unicorn pony. Its features were hidden behind ivory armor and cloth as it walked silently into the candlelight. It was obvious that this intruder preformed a slumber charm that immediately put the purple mare to sleep. It looked down at the blackened and damp parchment–it was, to the intruder’s desires–unreadable. It then looked over at the unconscious mare who was now drifting in the sea of dreams, making sure its spell had work successfully.

It whispered in an androgynous tone, “So close, Twilight Sparkle. Maybe another day.” It leaned over towards the candle and blew it out.

Nestled outside of the sleeping Ponyville, floated the cloud home of Rainbow Dash. In it, the owner of the house tossed and turned in her gray, nimbus sheets and rolled over her fluffy, cumulous pillows. Her body was sweating and her expressions were stricken with pain as she convulsed and tensed her form. She was deep into a nightmare of sorts, but it was not the same dream the ponies in Ponyville had been having.

She was falling, through smoke or fog, she could not tell. The wind in her ears made a loud ruckus as she tried to figure out what was going on. Her wings failed to function properly as she quickly descended into the unknown. Something began to fade through the clouds below her, falling with her. She fell faster than the mysterious object, and when it became clear to her what it was, she remembered that this thing was him. Her mind though, it couldn’t put the pieces together as to what this creature was entirely.

Her mind began to rekindle what this was through flashes from the past that overtook her vision. At one moment, she found herself sitting atop of a hill with it, looking over Ponyville at sunset. The next moment, she was watching the attractive being smile towards her as its hair wiped in the wind atop an airship. Lastly, he approached her in a menacing fashion, towering over her with blood lust in his hazel eyes.

Rainbow found herself falling again, but this time, the two were descending at the same rate and in front of one another. It shocked her as he opened his eyes quickly and grasped her hooves with his hands. He gave a reassuring smile as he mouthed her name slowly, knowing that his words would be unheard because of the wind. She quickly looked down and noticed a rapidly approaching ground, splintered with jagged rocks in a sea of a blazing inferno.

When she hit the ground, she shot out of bed and cried out, “Zack!”

She had remembered everything.

(End of Part 3)

[End of Book 2]