• Published 21st Feb 2023
  • 236 Views, 2 Comments

Making A Switch - Its a Birdy



Trixie wants to return to Princess Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns. Celestia gives her a task of friendship.

  • ...
 2
 236

Chapter 4: Chasing Rainbows

Where is she?

I dove from a cloud and sped through the sky. Finally, a rainbow tail caught my eye. “Rainbow Dash?”

Her head perked up and tilted back to see who had called for her. She lifted off the cloud and flew towards me. “Trixie? That you? Wait, you have wings?”

“Yup! About a week ago, after the body switch spell broke, Celestia, Luna, and Discord managed to make me into a pegasus! Twilight and I just got back from Canterlot.”

“Really? That’s so awesome! Now I can teach you everything about being a pegasus!”

I did a little rotation to show off my new body. “What do you think?” I asked glancing at her over my shoulder. I wore a smirk that she couldn’t see.

“Lookin’ strong! Wait, what happened to your cutie mark?”

“What abou-” I glanced down at my flank, my cloak and wand cutie mark was gone! “I guess I lost it when Celestia changed my magic.”

“Well, I guess you’re a whole new mare now,” said Rainbow Dash as she smiled and landed on a nearby cloud. She cocked her head and looked at me expectantly.

I matched her grin and landed next to her. “Thank you for all your help, Rainbow.”

“I didn’t do anything special. Why thank me?”

“Because, you taught me something nobody else could teach me. You showed me what it’s like to fly. You taught me that life can go in any direction at any given point. And so when Celestia offered me a place in her school, and I turned down the offer. I remembered how it felt to be flying and somewhere deep down, I know I’ll be happier being a pegasus than I ever would have been trying to pursue whatever it was that school held for me.” Taking a moment to stretch my wings, I examined my feathers again, correcting one that was stuck out. "I knew a lot of spells, but none of them were substantial. Parlor tricks... Yeah I was a unicorn, and I am gifted, but I wasn't magically gifted lime Twilight. Feeling the magic she wields..." I recalled that brush squirrel. "I could never compare. Even Rarity has more magical talent than I ever did."

“Well, Trixie, I’m glad to have you back. It was tons of fun teaching you how to fly. So are you staying with Twilight at the library?”

“Actually, yes, but I want to find a job and actually get my own place up in Cloudsdale. I just love being in the air!” I fell backwards after I reared up in excitement. I fell off the cloud and caught myself, hiding underneath the cloud Rainbow was sitting on.

“Uh… What are you doing?”

“Ahhh!” I turned to see Rainbow’s head poking through the cloud. “I mean, uh… I was hoping to trick you into thinking I fell.”

“Yeah, not gonna work on me. I heard you catch yourself as soon as you ‘fell’ from the cloud. You’re so loud and unobservant. Don’t worry, I’ll teach you more about it later on.”

I slapped Rainbow in the nose with my tail as I landed on the cloud again. Rainbow closed the hole and laid back down. “Trixie, you know, there is a lot more to being a pegasus than just flying around and sleeping on clouds. How much do you know about our culture?”

“I know that the Pegasi of Cloudsdale, are responsible for the weather and creating rainbows for all of Equestria.” I wasn’t sure, all I could do was guess.

“Eh, close enough, We can talk to Twilight and she can teach you history and stuff. I’ll just teach you how to fly and do cool tricks, sound good?”

“Sounds good. I guess I’ll head back to Twilight’s now, I just wanted to show you my new wings.” I smiled and gave her a hoof to the shoulder.

“You like being on clouds, right? Why don’t you come stay at my place tonight? You can see it from here. That giant cloud over there, the one with the rainbows. See it?” She pointed with her nose.

“Yeah I see it. Wait, you live there!? That place is freaking huge!”

“Yeah, and I’m never home, so the place is usually empty. Oh, and if you ever bring home a pony who isn’t a pegasus, the clouds are enchanted so they’re as hard as wood. Nothing passes through them and they never break apart.”

“Yeah, so the enchantment keeps stuff and ponies from falling through it.”

“Yup! Ready to go see your new home?”

“Sure!”

I lifted off the cloud and followed Rainbow towards her home. I caught up to her and glanced sideways at her. She looked back and smiled. It was a sweet, small smile: One that seemed to fit her lips well. I couldn’t help but return it.

“Race ya home!” Rainbow laughed and disappeared over a cloud.

“Hey! Wait up!” I shouted taking off after her.

Comments ( 2 )

thanks for reuploading this, its a great story

I think I might've read this story before. It was a nice re-read.

Login or register to comment