• Published 9th Nov 2012
  • 29,880 Views, 1,549 Comments

Without a Hive - Phoenix_Dragon



A young changeling is separated from his hive, and must blend in and survive among the ponies of Equestria.

  • ...
32
 1,549
 29,880

Chapter 14: The City of The Sun

Chapter 14: The City of The Sun

Once again, Meadow found herself sitting in a train. She spent most of the trip with her nose to the window, watching as the whole of Equestria began to sink beneath them. The train was making its way up the growing mountain range, and already the view was incredible. As the train sped along a cliff a few hundred yards in high, it could have been easy to think they were flying again, if not for the steady rumble of the train's wheels upon the rails beneath them.

This method of transportation, long since having lost its terror as its familiarity grew, now started to fascinate her. This was considerably different than her previous trips, spent riding along tracks that consisted of a simple pair of iron rails along mostly-flat terrain. This trip showcased the engineering might of ponies in a new way. As the train wound its way around and through the growing mountains, it traveled along massive earthworks and cuts in the very face of the mountain. It passed through long, cavernous tunnels bored straight through solid rock. It crossed over massive bridges spanning deep ravines and canyons.

All of this to allow people a quicker, easier method of transportation to the capitol.

Every few twists and turns, that city would come into view again, steadily drawing closer. Each glimpse of the distant spires, glittering in the sunlight, gave Meadow a little flutter of excitement. Each moment, she drew a little closer.

Spark seemed excited as well, although likely for completely different reasons than her own. He too was looking out the windows, a hoof idly tapping at the brand-new camera dangling from a strap around his neck. He had bought it just for the occasion, intent on saving as many memories as possible of this trip. He had snapped a couple pictures so far, but already it was mostly forgotten except for his absent-minded fidgeting. It was as if, lacking anything else mechanical to tinker with, he needed something to keep his hooves busy. In that respect, Meadow wouldn't be at all surprised to find him dismantling the thing just for something to do.

She paused a moment at that thought, before turning to him with a smirk. "So, how long until you take that apart to see how it works?"

"I can wait until after we've gotten back home," he immediately replied. Pausing a moment in his tapping, he looked down to the camera, then eventually looked back out the window with a faint smirk of his own. "Probably."


As they drew steadily closer to the city, details began to grow clearer. The individual buildings became distinct, banners flowing clearly from gold-clad spires. Crenelations, windows, and balconies began to dot the structures, with each glimpse of the city showing new details. Even the ponies of the city started becoming apparent. The first signs were the glitter of silver and gold, sun glinting off arms and armor, even before the ponies themselves were discernible. As the train turned one final time, having reached the level ground outside the city itself, the flashes of light had resolved into individual ponies. A few pegasi, clad in golden armor over white or gray fur, flew across the skies over the city. Below, their earthbound brothers in arms stood tall and proud atop the walls and towers, alongside the main gate, and anywhere else where their somewhat imposing presence might be considered desirable.

Non-military ponies were in evidence as well. As the train slowed, Meadow could see a fair number heading in and out of one of the city's gates. Several more flew among the towers, pegasi taking a quick shortcut that only they could make use of, or simply enjoying the wind in their feathers.

She didn't have the time to fully appreciate the view--although Spark did think to snap a picture for later viewing--before the train passed by the outer wall. The view out her window was blocked off by nearby walls as the train steadily ground to a halt.

Meadow's heart fluttered a little faster. As soon as she got off the train and stepped out of the station, she would be in Canterlot. The cold, acidic tinge of adrenaline teased at the edge of her senses. It grew with each step as she got up from her seat, following the small crowd of ponies leaving the train. She hardly even noticed the grandness of the train station, with its broad platform, perfectly-designed buildings, and colorful decorations. She instead noted the Royal Guard presence. A pair of white-furred unicorns stood at attention by the main entryway of the station, and a pair of gray pegasi stood atop a small tower nearby.

As she approached the exit, she examined every single detail of the guards. Their armor was surely designed for ornamental purposes, but it appeared to be perfectly functional as well. It was impeccably cared for, too. Meadow was not at all surprised to see that they would put such focus and attention to maintaining their appearance. If they put such dedication toward their training as they did their appearance, they would be a dangerous force.

Meadow had her doubts about that, though. Sure, the guards stood at attention, and their eyes scanned the crowd, but despite their imposing presence, there was something oddly casual about them. It was a vague sense, one that Meadow almost brushed off, but it fit so well. Little things kept catching her attention. They looked over the crowd, but she didn't perceive any real suspicion to their gaze. Despite standing at attention, they were not tense, clearly not expecting trouble. They had a vaguely proud air to them, but their looks were not condescending in the least. If anything, there was a curious warmth there.

And then, when she was only a few body-lengths away, one of the guards' eyes met hers. She knew better than to follow the immediate impulse to look away, a sudden reaction that could only look guilty. Instead, she forced the tiniest rise of the corners of her mouth, the barest hint of a smile, giving just a moment before looking away. Most curiously, the guard mirrored her response and gave a tiny bit of a nod. She felt no suspicion from him. Instead, there was a strange sensation emanating from him, distantly familiar.

It was a protective feeling. This Royal Guard mistook her for one of the herd, and proudly stood there, ready to guard them all, herself included, from whatever danger might come.

Meadow loved the irony.

Moments later she passed the pair of guards, passed under a broad archway, and stepped out into the street.

She was in Canterlot.

She had made her way past all the fortifications and guards and into the tender underbelly of the entire kingdom with casual ease, as if she were just another tourist visiting the grand city. There was no suspicion toward her. There was no sign that anything was wrong.

Meadow allowed herself a faint giggle as she looked around, taking in the sights of the grand city, laying open before her. She had fully expected that the ponies would bring their sense for aesthetics to an all-time high for their nation’s capital, but if anything, her expectations fell short of reality. Canterlot wasn't just a finer, more decorative city. It was as if it were an entirely different kind of city altogether.

Every building she could see was tall and graceful, made of smooth, white stone and accented with deep blue, dark purple, and above all, gold. The architecture was grand, reaching up into the sky, with arches stretching between towering buildings. The broad boulevard was lined by finely decorated light poles, and further down, where the road opened up into a broad square, she could see a towering statue of white stone. It was of an earth pony, and would have been two stories tall had it been simply standing. Instead, it towered even higher, reared back on its hind legs to hold up a flag in triumph.

Where other cities might have a few decorations to beautify the place, placed amidst an otherwise complete city, Canterlot integrated that aesthetic at its very core.

The camera clicked a few times as Spark finally tore himself away from taking in the sights himself to snap a few pictures. "This place is amazing!" he said, pausing in his photography to look around again. "I mean... look at it!"

Meadow nodded slightly, still looking around. Other thoughts came to her. How much had all of this cost? How much time and effort had been wasted in the pursuit of aesthetics which could have been better spent on function? How vain must the ponies' Princess be to focus so much on appearance? Yet as she looked around, those thoughts drifted away to merely linger in the background. "It is," she admitted.

Finally letting the camera drop back onto its strap, he pulled a piece of paper from his saddlebags and unfolded it. After a moment spent looking it over, he folded it up and tucked it back into place before turning his grin toward her again. "Come on! This way."

Then he was trotting happily along, wide eyes looking about eagerly. Meadow suppressed a sigh and followed along. His happy energy threatened to be contagious but she still felt a little displeased, and even a little uncomfortable.

Spark was keeping a secret. He had a plan for the trip, but he had refused to discuss any of it with her. He'd just grin infuriatingly and say it was a surprise. She didn't imagine it was anything dangerous, and she felt that she could trust in his judgment if needed, but going into a situation without knowing what she was getting into was still uncomfortable. She'd done that enough on her own. Knowing that somepony actually held the answer, somepony very close to her, was an extra-special flavor of frustration. Besides, didn't he trust her enough to not need secrets?

Lacking any better course of action, though, she followed Spark, putting on her best smile. As much as she hated to put her trust and safety in the hooves of a pony, she could make an exception for Spark. If he was keeping this a secret it was probably for a good reason.

Probably.

Spark led her on down the street, passing through the crowd. The city was busy, with an exceptional number of travelers filling the streets. The Summer Sun Celebration was clearly bringing in quite the crowd, eager to join in the celebration of their beloved Princess. Most of the ponies had the same distant look to them, paying more attention to the sights around them than where they were going. At least Meadow and Spark didn't look out of place.

A few blocks later, they reached their first destination. The hotel was the kind of building that looked as if it were trying to outdo all the other buildings around it, and doing a decent job of it. Its marble facade shone brightly in the sun, cut by huge single-pane windows, and a covered walkway with intricately-detailed pillars surrounded the broad courtyard before the building. Gold trim neatly accented the expanses of white stone. The courtyard itself sported the most impressive detail: atop a broad dais stood a huge statue of Celestia. The marble matched her perfectly, seemingly emphasized by the golden regalia. She was reared back, wings spread wide as if she were about to take off, but her head was turned down, eyes closed as if in concentration. Above her, between her outstretched wings, was a golden sphere, polished to shine perfectly in the sun.

Meadow blinked at this. The sphere appeared to simply float there, glowing softly in the sun. An enchantment? A trick?

At the base of the statue's dais was carved a single word, declaring the hotel's name: Excelsior.

She followed Spark past the grand statue and into the equally grand lobby. The broad windows along the front and both sides managed to give the impression of being open to the sky, sunlight filling the space with its warm glow.

With the number of ponies that appeared to be flocking to the city for the upcoming celebrations, Meadow was pleased to find that Spark had made reservations. Soon he had a key clutched happily in his mouth, and they headed up to find their room.

That room ended up being nearly at the top of the hotel. Meadow had to wonder just how much Spark had spent getting their reservations.

Opening the door, they were again greeted by the glow of sunlight. The refinement of decorations had not stopped with the lobby. Their room was actually a set of rooms, large and elegant. The one they first entered was like a living room, with a pair of couches, some chairs, and a low table. Huge windows lined both sides of the room, with the blinds raised to let the sunlight in.

Two doors led on from that room. The closest led into what was easily the most extravagant bathroom she had ever seen. The glass-enclosed shower could have fit a half-dozen ponies without difficulty, and the bathtub itself was as large as the entire bathroom back in their apartment.

The other door led into the bedroom, which in turn looked practically open to the air; windows stretched all around, and a couple steps below the level of the floor, a balcony ringed the room. The view of the city below was incredible, a shallow slope of buildings reaching out into space before stopping abruptly, set to the backdrop of the distant valley floor below.

All in all, it was ridiculously fancy.

She only pulled her attention away from the view when she noticed that Spark's attention had been drawn to the bed, an impressively large and plush specimen. It was nice, but Meadow wasn't sure why it had drawn his attention so thoroughly until a thought clicked in her mind: the bed. Singular.

"I thought the room had two beds," he said weakly, ears pinning back as a faint blush touched his cheeks. Before she could say anything, he quickly added, "You get the bed. This is all my treat, after all. Besides, the couches out there look as big and comfy as my own bed."

She rolled her eyes at this. "Spark, the bed is bigger than your bedroom." It wasn't quite, even if it would have filled most of the room, but that wasn't the point. The point was: "I'm pretty sure we'll both fit with room to spare."

It was a perfectly practical solution, and the bed was so spacious that it should surely avoid any of those "personal space" issues ponies had. Or at least, she thought so right up until Spark's blush grew furiously, the young stallion shuffling his hooves awkwardly as he struggled for the words to accept the offer without making it clear just how excited he suddenly felt.

"Uh, well... I mean, if you're okay with it, I guess..."

She suppressed a groan. Why do ponies have to complicate everything? "Yeah, I'm sure. The thing is huge, and I'd feel guilty about making you sleep on the couch when there's plenty of room there for you."

"Okay," he said. He fidgeted a little more.

Meadow decided to move the conversation on before the moment could get any more awkward. Shrugging off her saddlebags, she asked, "So what's that plan, now?"

"Oh!" Spark said and spun around in a complete circle before finally finding the clock. "Okay, we've got to get going. Come on!"

Abandoning his bags, he trotted out, and Meadow followed.


As they walked through the city, there was a clear change. The buildings grew larger and even more ornate. The wide-eyed tourists and friendly locals made way for richer, well-dressed ponies that walked in a manner that made it clear they thought themselves more important than the other ponies around them. And of course, the royal castle loomed closer and closer. Even the architecture changed, there. Most of the buildings in the city still had that unnatural, squared-off look that was common in pony structures, but the castle and surrounding buildings featured many graceful curves instead, and quite a bit more gold. The mid-day sun shone off the polished stone and gleaming metal.

The lower city also didn't feature such a prominent Royal Guard presence. Meadow rather preferred the lower city.

Spark had been leading her in a brisk trot all the way from the hotel. When he finally caught sight of a clock-tower, showing just a couple of minutes before one, he finally slowed to a more relaxed pace. "Ah, good. We made it in time!"

Meadow followed him as they entered the broad square with a huge fountain in the center. "In time for what, exactly?"

"You'll see!" Spark called back.

He was being far too smug for her tastes. I'm supposed to be the smug one.

Following Spark, she couldn't help but note the number of guards here. Several of the buildings must be government offices, judging by the guard presence. It was somewhat oppressive and unnerving, so many searching eyes watching over the crowd for any danger. She forced herself to remember the guard back at the station. Yes, they are the military arm of Equestria, the axe waiting to fall on our necks. Yes, they are the enemy. Yes, they would imprison or kill me if they had even the slightest idea of what I was. But they don't. They think I'm one of them. My disguise is foolproof, my acting perfect. They have no idea what I really am.

She was suddenly aware that Spark had stopped at the foot of a broad stairway leading up to one of the government buildings, and was grinning up at a group of guards.

...Except for that one, Meadow thought with a horrified chill as she saw one of the pegasi guards looking down at them and slowly grinning.

Meadow staggered to a stop, eyes widening. The gray-furred guard had spread his wings, and she could feel the excitement rising in him. He knows. How does he know? She glanced to Spark, who still wore that smug grin. He... he couldn't... no, it doesn't matter why! Focus!

Any attempt to focus was immediately derailed when the guard spoke. "Meadow? Is that you?"

She stood there with her mouth gaping, the voice and appearance finally clicking in her mind. "T-Thunder Chaser?"

The pegasus grinned even more, letting out a laugh. "Oh my goodness! Spark, that's--" he abruptly cut himself off, casting a nervous look at the guard standing next to him--who managed to give the perfect impression of rolling his eyes without overtly moving--and then spoke much quieter. "You weren't kidding about a good surprise, Spark!"

Spark grinned proudly. "Told ya so!"

Thunder Chaser chuckled. "Yes, you did. And wow, Meadow. It's so good to see you again!"

Meadow stammered slightly, her mind still trying to reconcile "Thunder Chaser" with "is a Royal Guard." Despite sending out letters, he was one of the old friends from the orphanage that she'd never gotten ahold of. His adoptive parents had gotten her letter, and sent one back that simply said that he was "away for training," and that they'd pass her letter on. They apparently hadn't done so, and Meadow hadn't bothered questioning what "training" he might be doing. Now she knew.

An awkward moment of silence passed before she forced herself to speak. "Wow. I mean... wow." Brilliant... She scrambled a moment, trying to think of how a pony would respond to the situation. Good-natured humor? She forced a friendly smile, speaking in a lighthearted tone. "I guess you had so much fun playing as a guard that you had to go and do the real thing?"

That seemed to work as Thunder's grin grew again, chuckling softly. "Yeah. That was fun and all, but it doesn't really compare to the real thing." He thumped a hoof lightly against his breastplate. "Not to knock your craft or anything, Spark, but there's just something about the real armor that's even better."

Spark was about to reply when Thunder Chaser's eyes darted past them with a mix of alarm and amusement. Meadow lurched to spin around to the potential threat, but before she could, a loud cry erupted from behind her.

"Sparky!"

A pink blur launched past Meadow to practically tackle Spark. He staggered, shocked to find himself suddenly enveloped in a hug by a very excited and giggling pink unicorn. Thunder Chaser chuckled at the sight. "She's been hiding over across the square for the last fifteen minutes, just waiting to ambush you."

Meadow, even with her brain running rather sluggishly given the situation, immediately put a name to the newcomer. "Cotton?"

Cotton Candy grinned up from her position, wrapped around Spark's neck. "Meadow! It is you!" She released Spark, prompting a faint gasp for air as she did. "And wow, you sure grew up! You look like a model!"

"Oh, thanks," Meadow replied, giving a slightly awkward smile. "You look good, too. You too, Thunder."

"Aw, thanks!" Cotton said. "Oh yeah..." The smile dropped as she walked up, raising a hoof to thump Meadow lightly on the shoulder. "You never write anymore!" She accompanied the statement with a mock frown, which was betrayed by the very clear smirk of amusement struggling to make its presence known.

"Oh," Meadow said, glancing back to Spark for a moment as she tried to think of a good excuse. When nothing came to mind--which was still fixated on the whole "Thunder Chaser equals Royal Guard" issue--she merely replied, "I've kinda been a bit distracted, I guess."

Cotton followed her glance to Spark, then looked back, and her grin grew. "Oh. Oh my goodness! Are you two a couple?"

Meadow blinked. "Oh, no, we're not--I mean--" She cut herself off, but the damage had already been done. She felt the little hint of sadness from Spark, though he kept it mostly hidden from his expression. Not quite well enough, though; she noticed Thunder Chaser wince slightly in sympathy.

"Oh really?" Cotton asked, just a touch too eagerly. Then, catching Thunder's reaction, she quickly tried to steer the conversation away. "Hey TC, how about you? We haven't gotten the chance to catch up yet. Your shiny new armor lured in any mares yet?"

"No," Thunder replied with a little roll of his eyes.

Cotton paused to consider this a moment, then grinned as she leaned in. "...Any stallions, then?"

Thunder flushed, ears pinning back. "N-no..."

This earned a giggle from Cotton. "Aw, but that'd be so cute!" Even the guard beside Thunder seemed to give the faintest smirk. Thunder just shuffled his hooves and wings awkwardly, trying to fall back into a similar at-attention stance as the other guards.

Oddly, it was the other guard that spoke up, now. "Okay, newbie. It's close enough, you can go off-duty now." Then, with a smirk, he added, "Have fun with your friends."

"T-thank you, sir." Turning back to them, Thunder said, "I'll be right back," before launching himself up into the sky and arcing toward the castle. The action drew a faint sigh from the other guard, but he said nothing more.

Just a minute later, a gray blur shot out of the sky, and with a clatter of hooves striking cobblestone, Thunder Chaser slid to a stop before them, minus armor. "Okay! Let's go!"


Meadow found it immensely easier to mentally deal with Thunder Chaser when he wasn't wearing that armor. His cutie mark, a shield with a pair of wings, was an unpleasant reminder, but at least that was more subtle.

They sat at a café Cotton had eagerly dragged them off to, a rather expensive one that mostly served upper-class ponies, and which had the quality of food to match. Once the food had been ordered, Cotton was eager to get up to speed with everything she had missed.

"So Meadow, what are you doing now? Are you a model?"

Meadow chuckled softly. "As appealing of an idea as that could be, my job is a little more mundane. I work for the city, organizing volunteer and aid programs. It's half boring paperwork, half hard labor." She shrugged. "I like it, though. It's rewarding."

Cotton smiled at this. "Still helping everypony out? Okay, I was wrong, that's even better than being a model. You get to be pretty and help ponies in need!"

With a little shake of her head, Meadow tried to put on an air of humility. "Oh, it's nothing too special. If you want something really impressive, you should see what Spark does."

"Oh, I know!" Cotton replied. "See, unlike some ponies, he still found some time to write." She reached out to poke Meadow again, then chuckled. "But yeah, airships and flying machines sound really awesome!"

"And how about you?" Meadow asked.

"Oh, I help build stuff!" Cotton replied around a mouthful of finely-roasted veggies. "Well, I'm more on the organizational side of things. My folks are in the Royal Engineer Corps, and I've kinda gotten into it, too. We're building a dam right now! Well, I mean, not right now, now. I'm on vacation for a week, but then it's back to building. Or in my case, organizing work teams, supplies, stuff like that. You should see the thing, it's huge!"

Meadow blinked in surprise. Of all the things she had thought Cotton Candy might have ended up doing, building massive infrastructure was about as far from any of them as one could get. Dams were one of those things that Meadow had only heard of, and she still had a hard time wrapping her mind around them actually being a thing that existed. She had seen enough of pony industry to know that such a task could be within their ability, but she still couldn't imagine exactly how. That Cotton Candy, of all ponies, would be involved in it...

She leaned to the side, peering at Cotton's flank, and the mixing bowl emblazoned upon it. "...I don't get it."

Cotton looked confused a moment before peering at her own flank. Then she chuckled. "Oh! I'm also a pretty good cook, or so all the workers tell me. I guess all those times I snuck into Full Kettle's kitchen paid off!"

"I'm surprised you're not a cook or something, then. Put that talent to use."

"Oh?" Cotton pointed a hoof to Meadow's flank. "If that's so, how come you're helping ponies, instead of going off compass-ing?"

Meadow glanced down, considering it a moment. "Well... I guess I'm trying to do both."

"Exactly," Cotton said with a smug grin, folding her forelegs in satisfaction. "I've got a good, fun job that's helping to do something important, and I get to indulge in my own hobbies as well. Just because cooking is my talent, that doesn't mean that's the only thing I can do."

"I guess that's true," Meadow said. And I suppose ponies should know better about this cutie mark nonsense than a changeling, anyway. "Sounds like this has come up before?"

Cotton just waved a hoof. "Oh, a few times. There are still a few ponies out there that think a pony should only hold a job that matches their cutie mark, and nothing else. I've found it's best to just ignore them."

"I guess that works for me, too," Spark said quietly. "Airships don't really have much machinery. At least, not like my own project does."

"Yeah, see?" Cotton said, gesturing to Spark. "Anyway, I doubt you two came all the way out here just to hear about what I do for a living. You came for the celebration!"

"And who better to help out with that than somepony who lives here?" Spark said with a grin.

"I spend a lot more time out at worksites than I do in Canterlot," Cotton said, "But I'm pretty sure I know enough to show you some highlights. And hey, we know a guard! Maybe TC can get us into the castle someday to look around."

Meadow's eyes widened slightly, despite herself. Getting into the castle of the Equestrian government? Now that sounds like an accomplishment worthy of an Infiltrator!

Thunder smirked a little. "Well, seeing as much of the castle is open to the public, I suppose I might be able to do that..."

Or not. Seriously, do these ponies not have any sense for security?

"See?" Cotton said. "Perfect! And there are lots of Summer Sun Celebration parties going on all night tomorrow, and I know where they all are. We can make this the best celebration ever!" She said this with quite a bit of energy, throwing up her hooves for emphasis. It drew a few dirty looks from the more uptight patrons, and a few chuckles from other ponies who had also come to the city for the celebration.

Thunder Chaser grunted softly. "I wish I could join you on that, but I'll be on-duty through the celebration."

"Aw!" Cotton pouted. "Well, that sucks. I was wanting to hang out with you some."

"We've got tonight," Thunder replied. "And I'll have two days off after the celebration, so hopefully I'll get to see you some more."

"Well at least we'll see some of you," Cotton said, then paused to tap her chin. "Hmm... though if that's the case, we should go to the castle today so you can show us around!"

Thunder rolled his eyes, despite the smirk on his face. "Oh, I'll see what I can do..."


An hour later, Meadow found herself inside Canterlot Castle.

Simply calling the place "opulent" would have undersold it greatly. Calling it a castle was probably underselling it, for that matter. While the place could serve well as a military fortification, the interior was more of a huge palace. The motif of white stone and gold accents carried through there as well, but the palace managed to refine that theme to be something even grander than the city outside. Polished marble floors were lined with rich red carpets, grand pillars supported arches the crossed the vaulted ceiling far above, and giant windows let the sun in to illuminate the interior. Many ponies wandered about, busy at work. Guards stood at key points, each bearing a serious, unwavering expression.

Thunder was taking the role of tour-guide well enough, describing the various locations they passed through. There were the gardens, practically a small, sculptured forest inside the castle walls. There were the huge hallways leading to various chambers, ballrooms, and other public spaces. They even got to peek into the throne room, where Celestia was holding court.

Spark spent half the time gaping in awe. The other half of the time he remembered he had a camera, and quickly snapped off a few shots before he was taken in by the grandeur of the place and again forgot about it. He even got a picture of Celestia, which earned him a glance from a nearby guard, but they hadn't stopped him. Meadow again noted the surprisingly lax security.

As for Meadow, she spent her time memorizing every single detail of the place, and every single word Thunder said. Her thoughts were torn.

First, the extravagance of the palace, while beautiful, was also disgusting to her. So much work spent on beautifying this one place, which could have been spent on more practical matters. But then, with so many ponies and such a grand scale of industry, how much effort had it really cost them?

Second, security was disturbingly weak. If she were to wish to infiltrate the castle, it would be trivial. If she wanted to cause some damage, nothing could stop her. But most importantly, if she wished to acquire any information, any knowledge, any secrets that could be used against Equestria, these ponies wouldn't even know that their security had been compromised. This was the greatest threat to her hive? A few skilled infiltrators could bring this whole kingdom to its knees. Was this really all there was, or was there something lurking behind all of this, unseen?

And third, despite the lax security, there were entirely too many guards for her comfort. They might have no idea that a predator walked among them, but that didn't make their presence any more pleasant to Meadow. While skilled infiltrators could manipulate the kingdom with ease, the Guard was a deadly threat. If their kingdom was threatened, these guardians would let nothing stand in the way of destroying the hive. Meadow knew what they were. They are the enemy. Killers.

Each time her thoughts reached that point, she glanced over to Thunder Chaser.

...Aren't they?


"...And so the whole thing tipped over," Cotton said, struggling to contain her laughter as she tilted her hooves to the side in pantomime. "Dumps the whole crew of the workers into the lake! And the whole time, Plumb Line is still just standing there, holding that survey stick straight out with this lost expression on his face, like he just can't understand how it all went wrong. He's still standing there when the crew climbs up the embankment and throw him in the lake!"

They all shared a laugh, kicked back on the couch and chairs in the main room of Cotton Candy's apartment. It was rather cluttered, but it had a kind of cozy and comfy feel to it. After the castle, Cotton had insisted they come home to hang out with "good food and good company," and so they were now gathered around with some simple snacks, sharing various tales of their lives.

Normally, it was the kind of thing that Meadow would excel at. At the moment, however, her laughter was somewhat forced. Her mind was racing, trying to make sense of things, leaving her unable to focus on her act. That she had to even think on her acting was bad enough; such a casual encounter was normally enjoyable enough on its own that she could just relax and go with the flow, so long as she policed her more un-pony-like thoughts. She'd even go so far as to say it was somewhat fun, usually.

But right then, it was not. Every time she started to feel like she could relax, something would draw her attention to Thunder Chaser, and the thoughts would start up again. Where normally she could simply let herself go with the flow, essentially losing herself in her counterfeit persona, she found herself unable to do so with him sitting there. He wasn't wearing that golden armor, but he might as well. He was one of the Guard, and a constant reminder to her that Meadow wasn't really Meadow. She was a fake, a lie. She was the sort of thing that he was supposed to protect against.

Even that shouldn't matter, she knew. She had dealt with guards and officials, and it had always been a simple matter. What was different now?

What was different was that she knew him.

As simple as that was, she found it profoundly disturbing, and the root of her unrest. For every other guard, matters were clear and simple: they were some metaphorically faceless enemy, the merciless military arm of a large and powerful nation. But she knew Thunder Chaser. He seemed every bit as bright in spirit and soft in heart as any other pony.

Thunder was speaking now, relating a story from his training, joking about the antics the recruits got up to, with himself right in the middle of all of it. This wasn't some emotionless, cold-blooded warrior. She couldn't even imagine him ever killing someone. Maybe if it were dire circumstances, where the safety of other ponies was concerned, but she still had a hard time picturing it.

Even then, it wasn't the knowledge that a member of the guard might be just a normal pony that caused the conflict in her mind. If anything, that would be comforting, knowing just how weak and easily manipulated Equestria's guardians could be.

No, what disturbed her was that she knew him, and that familiarity was swaying her opinion. He was a member of a group that was the most direct personification of all the threats to the hive, and even though she felt the urge to simply file him away as "the enemy," she was reluctant to do so. Her mind kept trying to find excuses to differentiate him from all the other Royal Guards, instead.

And in a few quiet moments when she was able to clear her mind of those thoughts, she instead questioned if he'd extend the same consideration to her--her real self, that is. Would he be swayed by his familiarity, or would he see her as "the enemy" just as the other guards would?

She shuddered slightly that she would even think of such a thing, banishing those thoughts from her mind.

No longer distracted by her own thoughts, she noticed the faint hints of... concern? Suspicion? Abruptly, she realized she had been sitting silently through the story, rather than laughing along with the ponies around her. She had made herself seem completely out-of-place and was clearly making them uncomfortable.

Quickly scrambling for an excuse, Meadow looked to Cotton Candy. "D-do you have a bathroom?"

"Yeah, just down the hall on the right," Cotton said, pointing with a hoof. Her smile didn't entirely hide the look of concern and unease.

Meadow quickly rose and trotted to the bathroom, shutting the door and letting out a deep sigh. She needed the break, a few moments to collect her thoughts. Acting along was normally easy, but the mental turmoil was surprisingly draining. She felt weary, strained. Moving to the sink, she leaned on it, drawing in slow, deep breaths. In the mirror above the sink, her reflection looked just as worn and exhausted as she felt.

She stared in silence for several seconds, then glanced back at the door.

In normal circumstances, she would never take such a risk. Right now, however, she felt it needed to be done.

Stepping back, she placed a hoof on the floor, pressed up against the door. It wouldn't stop a determined pony from forcing their way in, but it would delay a curious one long enough for her purposes.

With a surge of green flame, Meadow Song was stripped away, leaving Nictis to stare back at his own reflection. He saw himself properly: a weary changeling, slouched with mental fatigue. A lone, lost changeling that had, for just a moment, wandered from the path. A changeling whose eyes slowly narrowed into a glare.

His breathing calmed. His head slowly rose, his posture growing more strong and confident. Slowly, he let the worry and doubt fade away, staring at the physical reminder of the truth.

That Thunder Chaser was a guard did not matter. What mattered was that he was a pony. He was a pony that Nictis knew, that he could make use of. Anything else was secondary at best. In that manner, he was no different than Spark Wheel, or Cotton Candy, or any other pony he had befriended in his guise. There was no need to stress out about his employment, particularly not for any reason so petty as personal familiarity. It was simply another opportunity. A friend in the Royal Guard could be a very useful asset.

Slowly, a smug smile grew. The reflection in the mirror no longer looked like that lost, weary changeling. What stared back at him now was a proud, confident changeling, the ideal image of an Infiltrator--standing tall and undisguised, and yet, in complete safety there in the heart of Canterlot.

A flash of fire restored his disguise, the reflection replaced with a confidently smiling unicorn.

With a silent nod of approval, Meadow Song left the bathroom. She walked quietly back down the hall, pausing near the end to plan how to recover from her earlier... distraction. As she did, she listened in on the conversation, which had taken a slightly hushed tone.

"No, I'm sure it's not you," Spark was saying, sounding both uncomfortable and reluctant. "She just... I think it's something about the Guard, not you."

Meadow frowned. Her behavior had evidently been more out-of-place than she had imagined for the topic to have gone to that.

Thunder Chaser had muttered something, to which Spark replied, "No, really. We went to this museum, and there was an entire section on the Royal Guard through history. She got really quiet, like it made her uncomfortable." His voice was quiet and hesitant, and even as distressed as she was at the topic, she felt a bit of pride at how reluctant he was to say anything somewhat critical of her. "I don't know exactly why, but I guess she just has some sort of issue with the Guard."

She took that as her cue to step in. "It's not that," she said softly. All three ponies in the room jumped slightly at her return, with both Spark and Thunder Chaser looking somewhat embarrassed at being caught. She hesitated only a moment. She needed a good story; what kind of pony would be so uncomfortable with their own guardians? But she only needed a moment. With her mind refocused, it was a trivial matter to come up with a passable excuse. After all, ponies were easy.

"I mean, not exactly," she said, letting her ears droop a bit. "The Guard is fine. Actually, I really respect you guys for what you do. It's just..." She shuffled her hooves a little, looking quite convincingly awkward even as she metered every movement and word. "Well, it's bad enough to know that there's enough danger to need the Guard, that there are all these tools for fighting and killing, and that they're needed. And then I get to worrying." She looked up, straight at Thunder Chaser. "We put a tiny number of ponies at so much more risk, just so all the rest can relax in peace, never even knowing how dangerous the world can be."

Silence held for a moment as Thunder Chaser stared back. She could feel surprise, but also a slowly growing amusement. "Really? You're worried about me?"

"N-no," she replied, then rubbed nervously at the back of her head. "...Kind of."

He smiled, a sense of relief coming from the young stallion. "Heh, don't worry Meadow. I'm not going to go off and get myself hurt or killed. Equestria hasn't been at war in forever, and even when some weird monster comes out of the wilderness, it's rare for anypony to be badly hurt. Hay, I'm probably in more danger playing hoofball at the barracks than I am on duty. I'll be fine. We all will." He chuckled softly, giving a flippant shrug of his wings. "And you know, even if I do get hurt or killed, it'd still be totally worth it."

Meadow raised an eyebrow in a questioning look. "Really?"

"Well, yeah," he replied casually. "Actually, I'm kind of surprised you'd be so worried about that. You've done similar things, haven't you?"

She drew her head back, genuinely surprised by that. "What? I have?"

"I mean dangerous things," he quickly clarified. "Probably more dangerous than being in the Guard, even. Didn't you almost get killed out in the woods a second time?"

"Oh." She'd given a brief summary of what she had been up to, but they hadn't pressed for details--likely because of her somewhat distant behavior that night. "Well, I guess so, but..."

She trailed off, unable to come up with a good "but".

Thunder grinned. "Heh, yeah. And hey, this way I get to help ponies, too!" He hesitated a moment, then shrugged his wings again. "Actually, Meadow, you're kind of the reason I joined the Royal Guard."

She blinked, caught off-guard by that. "What? How?"

"Well... it's kind of a long story." He glanced around at the small gathering. "But I guess we're all here telling stories anyway?"

Meadow hesitated a moment, then gave a little smile and a nod. Resuming her place on the couch beside Spark, she listened as Thunder Chaser told his tale.

"Okay, so when I got adopted, everything changed. I was in a new place, no friends, only the folks that adopted me, and they were still complete strangers. I felt so out of place. Not that it was really a new experience, it was like that when I got to the orphanage, too, but it was kind of jarring, you know? And it didn't help that I was practically the only pegasus around."

"Anyway, I had to go to school, and there were a bunch of kids there I didn't know. And there were a couple older colts that were kind of bullies, like Big Shot. So that made me think of the orphanage."

"I... I know I never said so, but I always looked up to you. You were always helping everypony out. You were somepony we could all respect. I might not have been brainy enough to help out with tutoring or anything like that, but a bully? I figured yeah, that's something I could handle. So I tried to be friendly to all the other kids, and when those guys started bugging somepony, I'd step in and butt heads with them."

He hesitated a moment, then smirked. "Almost literally. I'm not so good at being all wordy like you are. Wait, no, it was literal once. But he did kick me first, so I think it was fair."

A few soft chuckles sounded before he resumed his story. "So yeah, I kept stepping in every time the bullies tried to do something. It felt good, like I was actually helping out. Got in a few fights, too, but I never started one... even though I really, really wanted to, at times.

"I guess I got kinda popular. I never really had any best-friends, but I didn't mind too much. Most of the ponies liked me well enough, and I was mostly happy. Still, I just felt like something was missing, like there should be more.

"So then one day when we were on a campout, one of the other colts, Whisper, went for a walk. Somehow he came across a bear, and nopony knows why, but it was just enraged. Complete berserk rage. We all hear him screaming as he tried to get away from the bear. Everypony scrambled to get there and help, but you know, I'm the only pegasus there. The others have to go through all the thick brush, but I just zip right over it, and soon I see the bear getting ready to clobber the kid. So I dive right on in and slam my hooves right down on the top of its skull."

Thunder smacked his hooves together for emphasis, then lounged back in the couch with an awkward smile. "So yeah, apparently you can make a raging bear even more angry. Like, frothing-spittle, bloodshot-eyes angry. Thing nearly took my head off. I jump back just in time and gain some elevation, but the bear must have looked at me like I was an annoying fly. As soon as I was out of reach, it focused on Whisper again. He had to pick his way through the brush, but that bear just tore straight through it. So I went in again, trying to distract it."

He slapped a hoof on the side of his right thigh. "First pass I make, the bear snaps around and nearly took my leg off. You could see the bone and everything." Both Spark and Cotton winced. "I never thought I'd see something that big move that quick, but it did. I'm still not sure how I didn't crash right away. It's like I was kind of distant from it all. I could tell it hurt, but it just... I guess it didn't matter right then? I don't know. I just kept harassing the bear until all the other ponies got there, and then it finally left. Guess it didn't want to deal with a bunch of angry unicorns.

"Aaand about then is when the pain finally sunk in and I crashed to the ground in front of everypony.

"But you know what? Right then, laying on the forest floor with a shattered leg, I had never been happier." He smiled. "Sure, the time in the hospital sucked. The weeks for my leg to heal sucked. But at the same time... I probably saved Whisper's life. I'd done something, something important. Something I could feel proud of. And I knew I'd be willing to do it again, and again, even if it hurt that badly every single time. If I could trade a bit of pain to keep somepony safe, I'd do it. Hay, even if it kills me, if I'm able to save even one other life, it's worth it. Totally worth it."

He shrugged again. "Though I think half the ponies there at the scene thought I'd gone into shock or something. I guess it creeped a few of them out, the way I kept looking back at my leg and grinning. They were all fixated on my injury. But me, I barely even noticed. I was too busy looking back at my brand-new mark." He tapped his flank, and the cutie mark emblazoned upon it.

"Seeing it there made it sink in, I think. It was like, at that very moment, everything became clear. Like I realized for the first time that this was what I wanted to do. So as soon as I was out of the hospital, I started looking up information on the Guard.

"The folks that adopted me didn't like the idea so much, but I guess we never really saw eye-to-eye on much, so that wasn't much different. Soon as my leg was all healed up and back to full strength, I headed out and joined up. I've never found a place that I feel like I fit in as much as I do with the Guard."

Then he turned to face Meadow more directly. "And you know, Meadow, the rest of the Guard are the same. There are a few that join up for the pay, or for the possibility of fighting, or just because they get a glamorous uniform, but they don't tend to last long. Or at least, so I heard. I've never met one, myself. Everypony I've spoken to is there for the same reason I am. So really, don't feel bad for us. Every single one of us is right where we want to be."

Meadow sat silently for a moment before a smile crossed her face, and she offered a respectful nod in return. His reasons--the desire to help other ponies even at such possible cost to himself--was something she could respect. If what he said was true, and she had no reason to doubt his word, it put a new image of the Guard into her mind. They were not cold-blooded, merciless killers. They were passionate guardians, dedicated to protecting Equestria and its ponies. The kind who would rise to any threat, even the most deadly, with unwavering devotion. The kind who would put the safety and well-being of Equestria above even their own lives.

It was almost changeling-like.

And Meadow was torn between finding that oddly comforting and utterly terrifying.


Meadow lay silently in bed. Fatigue, both mental and physical, weighed her down. Despite that, sleep was reluctant to come. The nervous ball of energy struggling to lay still beside her was surprisingly distracting.

Quietly, she whispered, "Are you--"

"I'm fine!" came the whispered reply, much too rushed to be in any way convincing.

Meadow suppressed a sigh, rolling over to her side as if she could block out the sense of emotions coming from him. Spark was a confusing mess of excitement and nervousness, which irritated Meadow. Ponies' issues with personal space were bad enough to begin with, but of course they would then interpret sharing that personal space as having some greater significance.

Stupid ponies.


If the awkward sleeping arrangements had one benefit, it was that it made it easy for Spark--who slept little and fitfully during the night--to get a nice long nap during the day. This was done at Cotton's insistence. After all, they would be staying up all night while she took them to all the best parties.

That evening was a blur of activity. Cotton seemed to know every hot-spot in Canterlot and was eager to show them all off. The eager pink unicorn cheerfully led them to a half-dozen nightclubs and many smaller parties. Meadow was quite familiar and even comfortable with such places, but Spark was a bit out of his depth. He was rather slow to get caught up in the fun, but after much encouragement--and a well-calculated hip-bump from Meadow--he started to loosen up. He was a horrible dancer, but with Meadow and Cotton joining in, he was soon allowing enthusiasm to make up for what he lacked in skill.

Although the way Cotton brushed up against her a few times was a bit distracting. Perhaps even concerning. Meadow found it somewhat odd; the way she smiled, her mannerisms, even the way she encouraged a bit more physical contact than was necessary seemed somewhat flirtatious. It was even more troubling to Meadow that she couldn't tell plainly from Cotton's emotions. She was happy and excited, but Meadow couldn't tell for sure if she felt so because she was flirting, or simply because she was there having a good time with friends.

Even more curious was how those possibly-flirtatious moments mostly stopped once Meadow had gotten Spark to open up and start dancing, but the emotions remained the same. If anything, she seemed even happier.

By the time dawn approached, the long night was starting to catch up with them. Despite the growing fatigue, the three of them were full of energy as they arrived at the broad square before the castle. The festivities all came to a momentary halt, everypony gathering around for the moment they had all come for.

The event was certainly grander than the one held in Hoofington. Royal Guards stood at attention, lining the edge of the massive stage and flanking the entrances to the courtyard. The castle grounds gave the gathering a much different atmosphere. Where the Hoofington celebration had been quite pretty and heartfelt, there was an impressive majesty to the event in Canterlot. Ponies of all ranks of life were in attendance, and in far greater numbers than the previous year.

At the same time, there was an air of formality that the Hoofington celebration didn't exactly lack, but had perhaps underplayed. The Guard was meticulous, with each member moving in well-practiced ritual. Horns sounded a great fanfare as the moment they all waited for arrived. There was no enthusiastic, slightly-informal speech by the local mayor; Celestia hardly needed an introduction here in her own home.

Despite all the differences between the past Celebration and this one, Celestia was unchanged. Her smile was every bit as warm and welcoming as Meadow remembered it, as were the feelings of happiness and pride in the ponies she saw gathered here. Her eyes scanned over the crowd, happily taking in the sight of all those happy ponies--even the one who was not actually a pony. Meadow was as good as invisible; just another happy, smiling face in the crowd, surrounded by hundreds of other excited ponies.

Not that it kept Meadow's heart from lurching when the immensely-powerful Princess's view panned across her, but she relaxed again as the gaze passed by without recognition. There was nothing to worry about, she reminded herself.

Meadow knew what was coming as soon as Celestia reared back. From the corner of her eye, Meadow watched her companion's reactions, their own eyes fixed on the rising princess. Cotton looked on with clear joy, while Spark looked thoroughly awed at the sight.

Soon the sound of cheering and stomping hooves filled the square, now lit brightly by the morning sun. As the princess descended back to the stage, Meadow smirked and reached out, nudging Spark's camera with her hoof.

Spark blinked as he looked down, confusion on his face for just a moment before realization struck. "Oh my gosh!" he blurted, snatching the camera up and, after a moment of hesitation, snapped a belated picture of Celestia, her wings still spread from her landing.

Letting the camera lower again, his ears drooped. "I can't believe I hauled this all the way out here, and then forgot to take a picture of that."

Meadow leaned into his side. "Hey, at least you saw it, and without the distraction of a camera. If you still want a picture of it, I'm sure I could buy one off somepony."

Cotton Candy chimed in, though she wasn't quite able to tear her eyes away from the Princess. "Yeah. Heck, there are some ponies that make a business out of selling pictures of the event to ponies without cameras."

"See?" Meadow said, nudging him. "Just have fun."

That brought his smile back.

The rest of the celebration went simply enough. Many ponies were greeted by the Princess; both Cotton and Spark took the time to get close and exchange greetings, though Meadow hung back, simply watching instead. She didn't want to risk recognition. Being one smiling face in the crowd was one thing, but she didn't want to find out if the Princess might recognize her as the unicorn that had caught her attention last year.

Not that she didn't think she could find a suitable excuse for her behavior, but tempting fate didn't strike her as a particularly sound plan.

Though she did find it amusing just how happy Spark looked when he returned. He seemed almost overwhelmed at having shared words with the Princess.

Finally, they made their way from the celebration, the consequences of staying up all night quickly catching up with them. Spark was dragging his hooves, swearing that next year he was going to celebrate the Summer Sun Celebration by sleeping in, since it couldn't possibly compare to seeing the main celebration in Canterlot. Cotton had lost much of her eager energy, despite her best attempts, and even Meadow had a hard time restraining her yawns.

At least the growing fatigue did provide one handy benefit: Spark was way too tired to freak out about sharing a bed with Meadow.


With the celebration over, the rest of the visit had a certain calmness to it, letting them just enjoy the time there.

Spark and Meadow took some time on their own to wander the city, taking in the sights at a leisurely pace. They visited a couple museums, some very elegant parks, a nice little restaurant, and several stores. Despite all the sights, each impressive on its own, it was a comment from Spark that caught her attention the most.

They were walking slowly along a line of old yet fancy stores, looking over the fine wares offered by them. The quality of craft was impressive, even for items that held no other interest to Meadow. They were just passing by a jewelry store when Spark paused, looking over the display.

"That's very pretty," he said, and she stopped to look at the item he indicated. It was a necklace, featuring a large ruby in an intricate silver setting.

Meadow considered it rather like most pony things she had encountered: flashy, but otherwise useless. The only appeal jewelry held was in its effects on the reactions of others. Still, she put on a smile. "It's nice."

"I've always liked rubies," he said, to which Meadow was barely able to restrain the impulse to raise her eyebrow at him. Then he added, "How about you?"

She paused, then smiled a bit more. "Oh, I don't know. I've always been more fond of emeralds," she said, inclining her head to indicate another necklace, with a smaller emerald hanging from a very fine golden chain.

He chuckled a little, turning to walk again. "Ah, right. Green. I should have guessed."

She just snickered quietly, a smug smile playing at her lips despite her efforts. She couldn't help it. It was kind of funny watching him try to be subtle and sneaky. As if she wouldn't notice the oddly out-of-place comment and guiding question. Or how he excused himself shortly afterward to find a restroom, which in turn took far longer than any reasonable biological function should take, and yet he offered no excuse or comment upon his return. Or the way he seemed particularly mindful of his right-side saddlebag, keeping it safe the whole way back to the hotel as if he were worried the slightest bump might break something.

Naturally, she wasn't surprised in the least when he presented her with a jewelry box containing a very familiar emerald pendant.

She faked it very well, however, much to his obvious delight.

As they sat in the main room of the hotel, lit by the fading evening sunlight, she admired the necklace with a smile that was mostly--but not entirely--for Spark's benefit. It was kind of pretty, after all, particularly with the sun lighting the green gem. She could certainly appreciate the skill and precision that went into making it: the cut was perfect and clean, and the golden chain was incredibly intricate. She could appreciate even more the happiness it brought Spark to see her receptive of his gift.

It must have been quite expensive, though she knew the nervousness she could feel from him when he presented the gift likely had little to do with money. Ponies seem to have developed many odd traditions due to their inability to sense the emotions of those around them. There were all sorts of social rules and expectations that served no purpose other than indicating that they felt a certain emotion. It was clumsy, but at the same time, they had to put so much more effort into their social interactions as a result. Where a changeling would be able to appraise how another felt about him quite easily, a pony had to rely on all these secondary signals. This was quite beneficial to an Infiltrator, of course, but it still made things complicated.

Gift-giving was one of those traditions, and one of those complications. Spark was dealing with their interactions half-blind, judging the situation entirely from her outward reactions, which were half-truths at best. It was like a foal stumbling around in the dark, hoping they could guess their way. Here, he wanted to express his affection for her, and so he offered her a gift in the hopes that he had judged her feelings correctly.

But when everything she did was a carefully-crafted act, he had little chance of success. As she thought on that, watching the emerald slowly turning as it dangled from the chain, she couldn't help feeling a bit of pity for him. How much harder must life be without such a vital sense of those around you? Sure, ponies had all these traditions and habits for showing their feelings on matters, but all of those could be misinterpreted, or even subverted. Some were even intentional deceptions! The whole matter was convoluted and obtuse, and must make moments like this--a genuine expression of affection toward somepony who may or may not share those feelings--a risky and worrying event.

It did make certain things easier. Seeing her approval washed away most of his worry, bringing a strong surge of happiness. Seeing her putting it on while softly expressing her delight and appreciation banished his fears entirely, joy radiating from him as clearly as the grin on his face.

The tender and "heartfelt" hug she gave him was a nice finishing touch, particularly when she held on just a moment longer than was normal to draw out a flutter of excitement from him.

On the other hoof, it made other aspects more complex. Social standards and traditions carried with them certain expectations. Sure, a gift-giver would insist that there was no need to return a gift, but that was simply a socially-expected lie. Reciprocation was expected in everything; the whole method of social behavior depended on everypony participating, or else the whole convoluted system would fail. As amusing as such things could be for an Infiltrator to contemplate--eying the weaknesses and vulnerabilities of a society at its most basic level--it also meant that these expectations were vitally important. A pony who shunned them would, in turn, be shunned by society. Such a reaction would be a significant setback to an Infiltrator.

And so, while she was not technically required to get a gift for Spark, she couldn't risk not doing so.

Despite the years that had passed since she lived in the hive, she was still more familiar with less gentle and lazy living conditions than most ponies. While Spark slept in, making up for lost sleep, Meadow woke as early as ever. She stealthily slipped out of bed, leaving him sleeping unaware. She left a quick note on the table to alleviate any worry should he wake up before she returned, and then headed out, returning to the market they had been through the previous night.

All the way, she unhappily mulled over the knowledge that she had no idea what to get him. Jewelry was out. Even if it hadn't been copying his own gift, which pony social expectations seemed to rank as undesirable, it was also one of those things that seemed to depend too greatly on one’s sex. There were some pieces that were appropriate for males, but in general, they served different social roles and carried different reactions. It was really a bit of a headache to think of.

Clothes were out, too. While a dress might make a good gift for a mare, there wasn't much that made for a good gift for a stallion. Or at least, nothing of the type Spark would wear. A suit just didn't, well, suit him. He was sensible enough to just go naked most of the time.

Which left... what? Tools? That was practical, and while Spark was fairly practical for a pony, it still didn't quite seem in the same spirit as what he got her. Now that practicality that she usually appreciated was working against her. Other than his work and spending time around her, and the occasional flight in the family airship, what interests did he really have? She couldn't very well buy an airship for him, so what else was there?

As she grumbled about this, she walked slowly by the various stores. Her eyes glanced over the items on display in the various windows on the off chance that one might catch her attention as the perfect gift, but she hardly gave them any attention. Not until she had looked away from another store, only to come to a stop and look back. She gazed in the window at the item that had caught her attention, letting a smile slowly grow across her face.

That might just work...


Unlike Spark, Meadow knew subtlety and surprise. She didn't bring out her gift at the first opportunity. She waited. They got breakfast, lazily hanging around and enjoying the morning. They'd be meeting up with Thunder Chaser and Cotton Candy for lunch so that they could all enjoy their last day in Canterlot, which left them with some idle time to kill. Meadow waited, passing time in idle conversation. She wanted her gift to be the last thing he would expect to happen.

Finally, she slipped off for a quick drink. When she came back, instead of retaking her seat, she leaned over the back of the couch Spark was sitting on, smiling down at him. "By the way, I've got something here for you," she said in a soft, faintly teasing voice as a small box floated over, shrouded in her green magic.

When he recovered from the surprise, he quickly reached out and took the box from the lingering glow of her magic. He opened it to reveal the golden disk inside. She could sense the surprise, confusion, and a little hint of uncertainty that was quickly growing into a bit of disappointment. "A watch?" he asked, looking back to her with a fair attempt at hiding his uncertainty. It was another of those silly pony social expectations: even when disappointed, he was expected to lie and try to convince her that he liked the gift. Such strange social deceptions ponies practiced.

To be fair to him, it was only a little disappointment. He seemed to appreciate that she was giving him a gift, even if he seemed a bit disappointed in what that gift was.

Despite that, Meadow simply held her smile, inclining her head toward the watch. Spark turned his attention back to it, and then did what any pony would do when given a pocket watch; he opened it.

"Oh," was his surprised reply at the same sight that initially caught Meadow's attention. With the golden cover flipped open, the entire inner workings of the watch were revealed. Behind the glass lens, only a minimal frame lay between the clock arms and the intricate collection of gears behind it. It was just enough to make the time and position of the arms clear, without obstructing the delicate mechanisms that made the whole thing work. "...Wow."

Any hint of disappointment was completely forgotten as he watched the little gears at work, a remarkably complex and compact machine. Meadow chuckled softly. "Yeah. I saw that, and for some reason it made me think of you."

Spark smiled, only to be surprised as another little package dropped onto his lap. "Huh?" he said, then snatched it up, opening the small box to reveal a collection of small, fine tools.

Meadow smirked, leaning down. "I imagine it'll be just a matter of time before you take it apart to see how it works, so I figured you might like having the tools to put it back together again, too."

"Thanks," he said, blushing faintly despite his soft laugh--and notably, not contradicting her.

"You're welcome," she replied, playfully rustling his mane.


Spark's happy mood carried through the evening. Thunder Chaser and Cotton Candy joined them for an evening not occupied by parties and sightseeing, but in simply hanging out and enjoying each other's company. They had a good lunch, played in a nearby park, and wandered about with no purpose except having fun. And it was fun, too. Even Meadow had to admit that. Cotton had a seemingly endless supply of stories, which soon left their sides sore from laughter. Thunder was energetic and active, and quite a bit more fit than most of them, as he proved when they played some impromptu games--even with him giving himself the handicap of not using his wings when they played tag.

It was nice, Meadow thought. In a way, she felt a little proud. A skilled engineer and airship builder, a member of the Royal Engineer Corps building infrastructure across Equestria, and even a Royal Guard, and she had earned their trust and affection. Every laugh was like another reminder of how well she had done. Even the touch of the emerald against her chest, tapping gently with each step, brought out a feeling of happiness.

And to tell the truth, they were actually kind of fun to be around. Far better than the average pony, that is.

Eventually, the evening started to wind down. Leaving the park and the fancy upper city, they wandered their way--joking and laughing the whole time--down to the outer rim of Canterlot. The sun was slowly making its way toward the horizon, casting a glow that was slowly turning the white-and-gold motif of the city into one simply of gold.

They stopped at a small square along the very edge of the city, where a low wall was the only things between them and a grand view of the entire valley below Canterlot. They got drinks from a nearby café and gathered at the edge, watching the sunset; Meadow, feeling a little nostalgic, got a raspberry smoothie.

The view was quite impressive from where Meadow stood. Even on their airship rides, she had rarely been quite so high up above the ground, so far below. She folded her forelegs across the wall, leaning out over the edge. To be so high while still having her hooves squarely on the ground was a bit unusual. The whole place seemed a bit unusual, really. Fascinating, even. She couldn't quite put her hoof on the feeling, as she looked out across the valley and up to the clouds, lit crimson in the light of the setting sun. It was a very pretty scene. Calming.

Click.

Meadow blinked at the sound, then turned to see Spark lowering his camera. Rather than the sunset, or the sweeping view of the world below them, he had snapped off a picture of her. He smiled nervously, like a foal caught raiding the cookie jar. She simply smiled back.

The comfortable silence that followed was broken as Cotton Candy leaned over to Thunder Chaser with a hoof to her mouth and stage-whispered, "Yeah, they're totally not a couple." That earned a short coughing fit from Thunder as he tried to conceal his chuckles behind a quick drink of his smoothie, and left both Spark and Meadow blushing.

Though Meadow was sure she had a bit more to be embarrassed by than Spark did, even if none of these ponies would understand it. She was an Infiltrator, after all, or at least the next best thing to one. She was supposed to be in control of situations like this. She wasn't supposed to just relax, to go with the flow, to unconsciously act just like one of these silly ponies rather than controlling everything in purposeful deception. She wasn't supposed to let somepony else have such influence on the social interactions and relationships she had carefully molded over so much time. She wasn't supposed to feel flattered that Spark would take her picture where he had forgotten to take Celestia's--professional pride, perhaps, but not flattery.

And she certainly wasn't supposed to actually, genuinely enjoy all of this.


Cotton Candy and Thunder Chaser both came to see them off in the morning, despite all of them having stayed up way too late in an attempt to enjoy every last minute before they were gone. Cotton made Meadow promise to write, and couldn't resist a final little tease; it was obvious how much she enjoyed making them blush, even as irritated as Meadow secretly was that Cotton was able to draw out such a reaction so easily. At least Thunder Chaser didn't join in the teasing. He did quietly chuckle quite a few times at their expense, however.

Before long, the train was away, with Spark and Meadow sharing their own private compartment. Meadow lay back beside the windows, half-asleep as she watched the terrain go by. Spark was soon sprawled out along her side, snoring faintly.

Several minutes passed by before Meadow suddenly realized that she had been there in the heart of Equestria for most of a week, and she hadn't done anything productive the entire time. She suppressed a scowl. Sure, she wasn't sure exactly what she could have done, but surely she should have done something. Certainly, more than just lazing about and having a good time.

Eventually, she sighed, letting the irritation slowly fade. I didn't really have anything planned, she reasoned. And if I ever come up with something, the city isn't going anywhere. I'll be back. And besides, it's not like they could do a thing to stop me.

With a content smile, Meadow closed her eyes and drifted off to sleep to the steady, rhythmic rocking of the train.


Several weeks had passed. After all the talk and anticipation, the time had finally come. With the end of summer came the big move; their initial payment had been made--putting a sizable but manageable dent in Meadow's expedition fund--and the time had come for Spark and Meadow to move into their new home.

Meadow stepped into the bedroom, hauling another box of belongings along in her magic. The room was still spartan as of yet, containing only several boxes, a shared dresser, and a pair of beds; Spark had insisted that she wasn't going to sleep on a couch anymore. Setting the box down, she began unloading. The dress was hung in the closet, mane-care and grooming supplies were set in a neat pile on the bed pending transfer to the bathroom, and her expedition journal took its place atop the dresser. Then she drew out a little compass.

She levitated it over, setting it down on her hoof. Spark had done an impeccable job of repairing the small device. He had cleaned and straightened it, repainted the compass rose, and replaced the lens. She couldn't even tell that it had been damaged. If anything, it looked even better than it had when she had first gotten it.

The thump of Spark's hooves drew her attention. The earth pony was hauling another box in balanced on his back, which she helped him offload with her magic.

"Thanks," he said, nudging it into place beside a few others. "Just got a couple boxes for the kitchen and we're all done."

"Good," she said with a smile, setting the compass down atop her journal. "It must be quite a relief for this to finally be happening."

"Yeah," he said, though his voice sounded a little distant. His eyes had followed her motion, landing on the journal. "I just... I'm glad you're, um, helping me out with all this, but I hope it's not disrupting your plans too much. I know you've been trying to save up for a while, now, and..."

Meadow dismissed this concern with a wave of her hoof. "Oh, don't worry about it. It'll only set me back a couple months at most, anyway. Hardly a big deal." A couple months I'd rather not have wasted, but it should all still work out...

"I hope so," Spark said. He hesitated then, silence stretching for a moment before he spoke up again. "Hey, Meadow?"

She cast him a curious glance. "Hmm?"

"When you go on your expedition, could I go with you?"

Meadow started in surprise at the request. "...What?"

"Your expedition," he repeated. "Do you think I could go with you?"

Meadow stared silently for a few seconds, the consequences of what he was asking quickly going through her mind. The ponies going along on that expedition couldn't be allowed to return; the risk to the hive was too great if they did, never mind how valuable they would be for increasing the hive's food supply. If Spark were to go with her...

"I... I don't think you'd really enjoy it," she reasoned. She reached out with her magic, picking up the journal as if to emphasize her point. "It's going to be weeks out in the forest, with poor food, poor sleep, and hard hiking all day long. It doesn't really strike me as your kind of thing."

"Well, sure," he said with a shrug. "But I'd still kinda like to go."

She stared again. "...Why?"

"Well... you spend a lot of time hanging around and watching me work, right? And you always seem to enjoy the time, even though I know mechanics aren't your kind of thing, and I know you don't really understand a lot of what I'm doing. I mean, I kinda doubt you even know what something like a transaxle is, much less the more obscure parts."

"That's the... spinny..."

"Yeah," Spark said with a smirk. "But you still come along and spend the time with me when I'm doing what I enjoy so much. I know this expedition is something you feel strongly about, and... and I'd really like to be able to go along, to see what you enjoy so much. A few weeks in the forest sounds like a good trade-off for that."

"But..." She swallowed, mouth having gone dry. "You know, it's dangerous. I mean, look at my luck so far with the Everfree..."

"Well, sure. Kind of like it's dangerous to go flying in the clouds as an earth pony." He nudged her in the side. "Or a unicorn. But you're going off anyway, and you've done well over a year of planning since your last outing. Besides..." He grinned at her. "I trust you."

Meadow almost winced at that. Almost. "Spark..."

She could feel his resolve waver when she spoke his name, along with that bitter taste rising in his emotions with the disappointment at the realization that she was going to say no. It was such a simple request that denying it must have felt like an outright rejection. She could quite literally feel the pain that threatened to come out as he spoke again.

"Please?"

Meadow's stomach churned in anxiety, though she hid it well. After a moment of conflict, she put on a warm smile. "Of course," she said with as much warmth as she could manage, earning a happy surge of relief from Spark. "I just wanted to make sure you know what you're getting into."

Spark happily assured her that he was fine with that, and she put on her best act of being happy that he would want to come along. Her smile held until he left to finish moving in their belongings--then the act dropped away. Her legs trembled as she sank down to her haunches on the side of the bed. Her magic winked out as she took the journal in her hooves.

Alone, silent except for her unsteady breathing, she sat and stared vacantly at the little book that held her future.