• Published 29th Aug 2022
  • 894 Views, 15 Comments

My Little Pony: Friendship is Eternal - AlphaToothless95



This is the story of how Midnight and the Mane 6 first met, and how g5 (My AU) came to be.

  • ...
3
 15
 894

Whatever it takes

Flashback, First months of Twilight's disappearance

As Twilight continued her training which currently consisted of her maintaining a connection to her magic which was rotating bubbles of water and small boulders around herself while she was meditating in midair above a small body of water, she couldn’t help trying to fight against thoughts of her friends and family for concentration… but the more she tried, the more the thoughts and memories continued to flow into her mind. It was starting to break her concentration. She eventually groans in annoyance and lands on the ground and decides to do something else.

She decides to go for a run then a fly. She gets a pretty good distance and a pretty good speed but when she’s distracted by memories of her friends, family… and parents, she gets distracted and goes through a cloud and crashes through trees. After dusting herself off, she sighs and shakes her head, deciding to try something else… again. This new activity consists of her taking her frustration out on a boulder that she put a spell on so that it wouldn’t break unless she used her full strength… which she rarely did. She punches it a few times and even kicks it but doesn’t even manage to crack it.

Eventually the thoughts and memories come back and her punches seem to get weaker… but when she’s hit with the memory of when Midnight had killed her parents… the feeling she had when Solaris had turned to look at them but with Midnight’s eyes… she screams in anger and punches the boulder so hard that it does a lot more than just break… it shatters and the remaining pieces of it go flying into the forest she currently found herself staying in. She looks around and sees that the impact even knocked down the trees that were closest to her. She didn’t even have to use any magic… she just used her rage. Maybe that was all she needed.

The next few months she had completely focused on increasing her attributes: both physical and magical. It had resulted in her being faster and more muscular than she was before and being way more powerful and even learning many new spells. She’d even been able to beat one of Midnight’s best and toughest soldiers with a single punch… she had made sure to pull that punch a bit so she didn’t end up accidentally killing someone… again. Yes, she had accidentally killed a few of Midnight’s soldiers because she didn’t pull her punches or slightly lessen the power in her magic attacks. The guilt had haunted her for a while but she eventually got over it and learned from her mistakes. The only one she wanted to kill… was Midnight.

That yearning for revenge was increased when Twilight had been captured one time and Midnight herself had come to taunt her in a visit… and torture her. Twilight had been captured for weeks until she eventually escaped and that’s when she had met up with Zecora afterwards. Unfortunately the guilt and trauma Twilight had suffered had prevented her from properly sleeping for the rest of that year but she kept training, under Zecora’s guidance now and it had helped her kind of accept what she’d done and also accept the thoughts and memories of her friends… and it helped her accept a part of herself that she had been neglecting for too long.

It helped when they had stumbled upon a village that was under attack by a few assault teams that were part of Midnight’s army, and they both made quick work of them. Twilight had seen that a little unicorn filly that looked to barely be in her teens had lost her parents… just like she had. She slowly walks over and gets on her knees next to her and puts a comforting hand on her shoulder, causing the filly to jump a little and look up at her, revealing her now tear-stained face. Twilight frowns even more. “I’m so sorry.” She says and the filly starts crying more but Twilight is surprised when the filly jumps at her for a hug and she slowly hugs her back, still shocked. “I’ll stop this… I’ll stop Midnight.” Twilight says and the filly keeps crying until she slowly looks up at her and speaks in a shaky voice.

“Y-You promise…?” She asks and Twilight gives her a reassuring smile and nods.

“Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye… What’s your name?” Twilight asks and the filly dries her face off first before answering.

“Luster Dawn… My name is Luster Dawn. Wait… you’re Princess Twilight Sparkle.” She says, gaining a shocked look on her own face and Twilight smiles a bit.

“It’s just Twilight now… but that’s a pretty name… Don’t worry Luster Dawn, I’ll send you all to Canterlot and you should be safe there, alright?” She asks and Luster Dawn hesitates then nods snd Twilight and Zecora start gathering everyone up and once they’re all together, Twilight teleports them to Canterlot, sensing that it’s still safe there. After that, she and Zecora both decide to stay and cover there tracks before they leave. They may have saved one village… but there was still plenty more that needed saving. But they could handle it, one step at a time. And even if those painful memories continued to come to the forefront of Twilight’s mind, she’d handle it… no longer would they be a weakness… they would be a strength.


Present Day

Ok so… coming back and seeing her friends again was almost exactly what she expected. After they had gotten the civilians settled down and safe, everyone was both relieved and furious to see Twilight. Relieved because they were glad she was ok obviously, but furious because she tricked them and manipulated them into letting their guard down so she could leave without even telling them to their faces. They weren’t exactly mad at how long she’d been gone, but they were absolutely pissed at the fact that she couldn’t even be bothered to tell them she was leaving instead of just leaving a note for each of them. At first they were mad at Zecora for not even trying to tell them that she was with her but then she explained that she wanted to, but Twilight told her not to because she wanted to keep them all safe.

She also explained that it was difficult enough to persuade Twilight to allow her to help her, so getting her to let everyone else help was practically impossible. “I mean, for Celestia's sake Twilight, we thought something bad had happened to you! We didn’t know if you were alive or dead or captured or worse!” Applejack yells and Twilight just continues staring at the ground, not able to face them even after all this time… especially not after all this time.

“I… I’m so sorry I worried all of you like that… but if I’d told you, you would’ve tried to stop me or tried going with me. I couldn’t let you all get hurt because of my foolishness… not again.” Twilight says and they all realize what she means but Rainbow Dash just frowns and turns away from her, still angrier than the others at Twilight and her selfishness.

“Twilight, that was not your fault. You just wanted to help everybody, including Solaris.” Spike says and he goes to put a hand on Twilight’s shoulder but she grabs it and holds it back.

“Yeah, I wanted to help somepony who didn’t want to be helped and look where that got us! Look what it cost us! Everything that we or somebody else loses or has already lost… is the result of my mistake! My choice! And I have to live with it all for the rest of my life… which, may I remind you, might never end!” Twilight yells all in one big rant, gaining shocked and hurt looks from her friends.

Now Rainbow decided to try and speak up. “Twi…” She starts but before she can finish what she was about to say, Twilight continues, her voice cracking with sadness from the tears she was desperately trying to hold back.

“I’m immortal… I can’t die of old age, I can’t die of natural diseases, I can’t even be killed by other beings who aren’t immortal… so if this war isn’t the end of me… I’ll probably never have an ending but… I don’t want to live forever… I… I just wanna stay with you… and see my parents again one day… but that might never. Happen!” Twilight says, punching a wall but severely holding back so she only manages to crack it. Everyone stays silent due to the shock from her outburst and also from wanting to let her vent out all the emotions she’s had stored up for so long now. “I don’t wanna lose any of you, but I know it’s eventually going to happen… and I’ll be left all alone… with nothing but joyful memories of all of you… but horrible ones of Midnight and the things she did to us… I thought that… at least if I could distract Midnight, then even if it resulted in me dying in the end, you all would find a way to take her down and live your lives… I just wanted to protect you all… but I admit that I was being selfish too.”

After a few moments of silence pass, the others look at each other, then at Twilight but Rainbow continues not to say anything. Twilight particularly notices her silence and the way she’s looking at her and she knows that even though Rainbow’s mad… she wants her to stay with them… to stay with her and to never leave again. Twilight knew that she couldn’t though… as much as she wanted to. “I… can’t stay here. I wish I could but… I just… can’t. As long as I’m here, you’re all in danger.” Twilight says and all her friends start to protest until Rainbow Dash walks up to her with an angry look on her face. Twilight is about to say something until Rainbow suddenly punches her on the cheek, causing her head to turn but she doesn’t fall back, she just stands there with a shocked look on her face as her cheek starts reddening fast already.

She slowly turns to Rainbow who’s knuckles are slightly bleeding and she has tears in her eyes as she continues to angrily glare at Twilight. “When are you gonna get it, Twilight?!” Rainbow asks loudly, slightly confusing and shocking Twilight. “When are you gonna understand that whether you’re here or not, we’re still in danger! Did you really think Midnight was gonna leave us alone and focus on you just because you’ve been taking down her goons and destroying her stuff?! That’s not how it works! That isn’t how she thinks!” Rainbow yells before she turns away from Twilight and breathes in and out before asking her a question she wasn’t expecting.

“What was it that I said to you the day you left?” She asks and Twilight goes wide-eyed, not expecting Rainbow to bring that up. But she lowers her head, sighs… and answers the question.

“The best… and only way for us to get through this is… together.” She says and Rainbow turns to face her before walking to her and grabbing both her hands and looking her straight in the eyes.

“So you do remember. If you took my words to heart that much, why did you still leave…? We’re supposed to be a team Twi. We’re in the middle of a war but none of us can win it alone. So Twi… are you gonna run away again or are you gonna work with us, your friends… your family?” She asks and Twilight hesitates and starts looking away before closing her eyes and remembering her parents… thinking of what they would want her to do.

Keep… going. Keep caring. Don’t ever lose sight of yourself… and don’t blame yourself for whatever goes wrong… because at least you tried in the end.“ She hears her mother remind her in her head. But… she had lost sight of herself a few times… and she had often blamed herself… for everything… but maybe… maybe that could change. She looks at Rainbow with a determined look on her face and nods. Rainbow smiles and is about to let go of Twilight’s hands, but Twilight’s grip tightens a bit, causing her to look up at her.

“I’m so… SO sorry for leaving you… all of you… I promise that it’ll never happen again. From now on, we do this together and we save Equestria… like we always do.” Twilight says and everypony smiles before blindsiding her with a group hug, all glad to have her back. She smiles and hugs them back, even accidentally picking them all up with ease. Zecora smiles proudly, glad Twilight is starting to make peace with her demons. She then walks forward with something to ask and warn them of.

“You all are together again, but these are incredibly high stakes. So… are you all willing to do whatever it takes?” She asks and without hesitation, they all nod and she smiles. “Then I know you will end this madness for all our sakes.” She continues before everyone else shows up to greet them and welcome Twilight back, even creatures from the other kingdoms who have been working with the others to find Twilight and help find ways to counter Midnight and her army. Even the filly that Twilight had saved, Luster Dawn, had come to greet her. Twilight smiles and gets on one knee so that they’re kinda on the same level.

“Told you I’d keep my promise.” She says before receiving a tight hug from Luster Dawn, one that shows how happy she is that nothing bad happened to her and she smiles more and hugs her back. Twilight stands up when she sees Celestia, Luna, and her family walking towards her. They all hug her and welcome her back, glad she’s safe.

“I’m so glad to see you’re alright Twilight. We all are. Welcome home… it’s good to have you back.” Celestia says and Twilight smiles at her former mentor.

“It’s good to be back Princess… I finally realize that whether I’m here or not, Midnight isn’t going to let everypony else live in peace…” Twilight says and that gives her an idea. “And I think I have an idea on how to lure her out… if you’ll all have me.” Twilight says and everyone nods and she smiles before starting to walk further into Canterlot. “Then come on, we have a lot to do… starting with some new and improved armor and training.”


Hours later

The training and armor had been fairly easy, but the rest of what everyone had to do was the hard part. They had to make… preparations for when they finally took the fight to Midnight. Now they just had to plan where the battle would be and they had to plan it carefully so there wouldn’t be any casualties and so they wouldn’t have to travel that far. They only had one shot at this, so either they planned and did it right… or it was over. As Twilight walks through the newly made training area, checking on everyone's progress, she catches a glimpse of lightning flashing from one area and she goes there to see Rainbow Dash training against Lightning Dust.

She could tell that any previous feelings of hate or anger between them had passed and they had finally worked out all their issues, especially the ego-related ones. However, they still remained just as competitive as ever. Lightning Dust had even changed her mane-style and let her mane hang to one side of her head and she actually looked better that way. Scootaloo is sitting and watching them train, unsure who to root for which is actually very surprising. Now that Twilight’s actually stopping to watch Dash, she notices that Rainbow also changed her own mane-style and she realizes that all or most of her friends did the same thing.

Rainbow's mane was now kinda made into curved spikes that go forward while the part of it on the back of her head curved upwards, Applejack’s was mostly the same but it was tied into a bun similar to Granny Smith’s, Rarity’s was mostly the same too but hers was tied into a bun as well only smaller, Fluttershy's was tied into a long ponytail, and Pinkie's was puffier and thicker. Twilight’s mane just changed by itself over time from her usual mane style to a flowing, majestic one that was kinda like Luna's and would eventually be just as long as Celestia's. It was truly impressive to see how much everyone’s changed. As the sparring match comes to a close, Rainbow Dash comes out on top as the winner. Rainbow Dash cheers and flys into the air, doing a loopty-loop before flexing both her arms

“And with that, I am officially the greatest speedster in all of Equestria! Nice to know I’ve got real competition though.” Rainbow Dash says as she gestures down to Lightning Dust who glares before rolling her eyes and chuckling, standing up. Rainbow Dash notices Twilight out of the corner of her eye and smirks a bit before turning around while taunting. “Is there anyone else who would like to try and beat me only to be put on their back? Hmmm… how about you?” She asks while pointing to Twilight. Twilight, being confused for a second or so she wants Rainbow to think, looks around to her left and her right before pointing to herself as if to ask if she means her. “Yeah, you. The tall, beautiful, muscular alicorn. Wanna give it a go?” She asks and Twilight smirks, walking closer to her.

“Hmmm, I don’t know. You’re setting yourself up against pretty high odds and I would hate to crush that strong pegasus pride you seem to have a severe case of.” She says, still smirking up at Rainbow, knowing her own taunt was already so close to working and drawing in Rainbow like a moth to a flame.

“Pffft, I’ve faced worse odds. This’ll be a breeze.” Rainbow scoffs, earning an even more devious look from Twilight before she turns around, shrugging and feigning getting ready to leave.

“Welp, sounds like the 'best speedster in Equestria' is backing out from a challenge. Who could’ve seen that coming as soon as she saw them. Oh wait, me.” Twilight taunts and Rainbow goes wide eyed before flying in front of her and stopping her.

“Oh, it. Is. On. Hope you brought more than just good looks, Princess.” Rainbow says before she goes to the opposite side of the arena and Twilight stands across from her and they both get in their stances. Twilight takes out one of her twin swords and Rainbow forms her lightning blade in her hand.

“Oh, so you think I’m good looking, little Rainboom?” Twilight teases and Rainbow blushes and stutters.

“U-Uh… Wait, no! T-That’s not-! I… Just shut up and fight me!” Rainbow yells before she charges at Twilight who charges back and as their weapons clash, sparks fly and soon their sparring match attracts the attention of all their friends who are amazed at the amount of skill and style that both girls put into their attacks. If they didn’t have weapons, it could be mistaken for them dancing. The fight lasts for quite a while due to them knowing each other so well and as it goes on, more ponies and other creatures stop to watch until finally, Twilight manages to defeat Rainbow, mainly just injuring her pride just like she said she would.

“Had enough Dashie? Or do you wanna go again and end up right back on your back?” Twilight asks and Rainbow huffs, embarrassed before mumbling.

“You got lucky… Next time, it’s my turn egghead.” Rainbow says as she stands up and dusts herself off before puffing her chest out confidently towards Twilight a bit and Twilight rolls her eyes and puts her blade away.

“Yeah yeah, whatever helps you sleep at night. Speaking of which, it’s pretty late everyone. Get some rest… tomorrow, we end this. We save Equestria, and end Midnight's reign of terror once and for all.” Twilight says and everyone cheers before saying goodnight, walking off, and turning in for the night.

“Goodnight Twi… good sparring match.” Rainbow says while yawning. Twilight smiles and agrees and Rainbow starts walking off until she suddenly stops and notices Twilight staring after her. “Ya know… if you want, you can always… sleep in my room.” Rainbow says nervously while blushing and Twilight blushes too but smirks and crosses her arms.

“You know you can just ask me for cuddles instead of trying to come up with excuses to get them.” Twilight says and Rainbow rolls her eyes and walks over to her, grabbing both her hands and pulling her with her all the way to her room.

“You know me too well and it’s embarrassing.” She says while chuckling and Twilight giggles as they both lay down. Twilight sighs as she stares at Rainbow, admiring how beautiful she was. Rainbow notices and looks at her. “Whatcha thinking about egghead?” She asks and Twilight smiles more before kissing her on the nose.

“Just how lucky I am to be with someone like you… thinking of you got me through the worst parts of everything… it got me back up when I was down. And I’m hoping… that tomorrow, I’ll still have you by my side, even after all this is over. I’m hoping you and the others will still be with me and I’ll still be with you.” Twilight says and Rainbow looks shocked and smiles at her before leaning her head against hers.

“I’ll always be with you Twi… we all will and it’s the same with you. No matter what, we’ll always stick together. If there’s one thing you taught us all, it’s that friendship isn’t just magic.” Rainbow says and before she could continue, Twilight does it for her as she remembers what she herself said all that time ago.

“Friendship is eternal.” She says and Rainbow smiles and kisses her and she smiles. “You’re right… so in that case. We should get some rest for tomorrow… we’re gonna need all our energy for tomorrow.” She continues and Rainbow nods and cuddles up closer to her as Twilight teleports them both out of their armor and into their sleeping clothes then uses her magic to turn off the light. “Goodnight Rainbow… I love you.”

“I love you too Twi.” Rainbow says before they both slowly fall asleep… for real this time. Whatever tomorrow brings, they both sleep knowing that they would face it together. Besides, Twilight’s plan was a really good one. And if they were lucky, Midnight wouldn’t even know what hit her. But unfortunately… Twilight isn’t as ready to face her as much as she thinks she is… but by the time she realized this, there would be little chance of her getting talked out of what she would do if she ever got the chance…