• Published 27th Sep 2022
  • 2,641 Views, 113 Comments

The Never-Ending Ending - 5u0myn0n4



The evil alicorn Opaline awakens an ancient evil and unleashes it upon Equestria, and Sunny Starscout and friends must unite hoof to heart to restore Harmony before the worst comes to pass.

  • ...
6
 113
 2,641

Chapter 10: Unwelcome

In the Sheriff's office, Sunny and friends gathered around Sparky, attempting to figure out how to make him give back all of his stored magic to everypony Tirek had robbed it from in the first place.

Misty proved to be as elusive as ever, and Sprout silently wandered off after the trio were defeated.

Speaking of them, in the jail cell, was Queen Chrysalis, Lord Tirek, and Cozy Glow, all wearing black and white striped outfits. None of them were in high spirits. They were all worn out from their latest excursion, and failure. Tirek was in his lowest form of power, and Chrysalis was weakly. Cozy was tired as well, but it took a lot to wear her down, so she was the most awake of the three.

Inside, they had assigned Posey to sit on a stool, and face Sparky directly. The hops was to find some way to get Sparky to slowly release his immense collection of magic back to the ponies it belonged to.

Posey was nervous. She was afraid Sparky was about to torch her.

"Try to mend your minds. Connect to Sparky. Feel his Sparky Spark." Izzy said to Posey.

Sparky focused, but all that happened was he flared up. Nothing about happened at all.


In the end, all they managed to do was torch Posey’s mane, which sent Posey running away in fear.

"Sunny, nothing is working." Pipp said. "It seems Sparky's magic is his for the keeping."

"Oh Sparky. If only I could understand you. Oh the secrets you could tell us." Hitch said.

"E... e..."

Everypony gathered close to Sparky. Was he about

"Esta... day?" were Sparky's first words.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Pipp asked.

"I mean, he was born practically yesterday, relatively speaking." Zipp said.

"You're right. Even he doesn't know how all his powers work." Sunny said. "I can relate, little guy."

"Psst." Cozy whispered to Chrysalis. "When are you just gonna shapeshift and get us out of here?"

"Bold of you to assume I would be interested in helping you and Tirek any further." Chrysalis said. "But to answer the point of your question, I'm simply waiting for the right moment."

"Well, keep waiting. That's all we've done. That's all I've done..." Tirek said.

"Well I'm bored of waiting. I still have some things to say to these ponies." Cozy said.

Cozy Glow peered through the bars and glared at Sunny and friends.

"You ponies are really just gonna cage a little school age filly behind these metal bars?" Cozy asked, in a fake whimpering tone.

"You know what you did. Don't act all innocent!" Hitch said. “For kidnapping Sparky, and nearly destroying Maretime Bay, I say it’s fair to put you in here.”

“I don’t understand you, Cozy Glow. The others I get, but you Cozy, You’re a filly, I assume. What could have possibly led you to be this bent on seeking power?” Zipp asked.

Cozy laughed.

"Ah. I like you guys. You’re everything the mane 6 wasn’t, and I mean that in THE most generous way possible.” Cozy said. “You guys should be pleased with yourselves. Really I mean it. I thought you were a bunch of wannabe heroes, but you’ve really shown that you have your own virtues.”

Izzy took pleasure in the compliments. But everyone else was weary.

“Um… thanks?” Sunny said.

“I mean it. I like how critical and non biased you are Zipp. I think a critical eye like yours was something sorely lacking from the mane 6.” Cozy said. “Twilight and her friends were cruel to me. Yeah I loathed them, and they loathed me in return… but we never really got to talk it out… pfft. Their loss, not mine. Besides, this means I get to have fun with you guys!”

“I think we’ve had enough fun with you guys.” Hitch said.

“We won’t be having any more fun with you, if yesterday's performance was your idea of fun.” Zipp added.

“Us? We're the least of your concern. You think you're out of the woods with us in bars? You better be weary, Sunny Starscout. You think we’re the things you should be most worried about? We’re just a group of opportunists. But that shadowy alicorn. I have a bad feeling about her. I mean unfreezing us and then just disappearing with your Crystals? Think she’s just resting on her laurels? She’s definitely still out there plotting something and you guys are just wasting your time on us. She’s the one with some big personal vendetta." Cozy said.

“I hate to admit it, but she’s right. Opaline has the Crystals still. Now that they're taken care of, we mustn't waste a moment more. We need to get them back.” Zipp said.

“Maybe the Crystals can also unlock a way to help us control Sparky's magic." Sunny said.

The friends huddled and thought of a plan.

"We can't repeat our mistakes. We have to stay on top of things, and can't let ourselves be tricked again. We gotta stay one step ahead of her." Zipp said.

"Yes but how do we even begin to come up with that sort of plan, sis?" Pipp asked.

"We need an insider, and there's nopony better to ask than-" Izzy started to say.


"Guys!" Misty came running through the entrance.

"There's something I have to tell... Woah! What's going on with Sparky?" Misty asked, pretending to not know he had all the magic.

"Sparky was able to eat up all of the magic Tirek had stolen, but we can't figure out how to make Sparky cough up the magic." Izzy said.

Misty peered her attention at Sparky and his big red horns.

"So you need help releasing his magic. Funny. It's sort of like how Opaline is having trouble releasing magic from the Unity Crystals. Both holding vast amounts of magic that is so close yet so far I mean-" Misty halted herself when she realized that Zipp was glaring at her.

"I uh... I've said too much." Misty said, backing away slowly.

"No. I don't think you've said enough just yet." Zipp said, approaching Misty.

Zipp wrapped hoofcuffs around Misty's hooves.

“You’re not going anywhere until you tell us everything you know about Opaline!” Zipp exclaimed.

“Woah, Zipp! Take it easy. Wanna practice our good cop bad cop routine?” Hitch asked.

"Forget that. We don't have time for that.” Zipp said.

"It can't be that urgent. I mean Sparky has Equestria's magic with him, and you and I can still fly, so it's not like the magic is totally gone." Izzy said.

That's weird. Why do they still have magic if Opaline took their Crystal? Misty said in her head, realizing she shouldn't be saying things aloud.

“Cozy said I need to be unbiased. And I’ll be blunt and say I’m not ready to accept you Misty as a friend until you help us take down Opaline.” Zipp said.

"You'll listen to that maniac, but you won't trust our friend?" Izzy asked.

"She's..." Zipp halted

"Look, Misty, I want to give you the benefit of the doubt. But I'll be honest, that's really tough so long as you work for our arch nemesis." Zipp said.

“Uh, Fair point. That's some pretty sound logic.” Misty said anxiously.

*sigh* “Alright. Misty. Could you calmly tell us what Opaline’s going to do with the Crystals?” Zipp asked.

"I... I can't tell you!" Misty exclaimed.

"Okay. Next question. Don't suppose Opaline would have any weaknesses, does she?" Zipp asked.

"Weaknesses? That's easy. Let's see-

"Maybe small details aren't your thing. What about the big picture? Who exactly is Opaline? Where'd she come from? What does she want?" Zipp asked.

“She’s uh… old! That much I know!" Misty exclaimed.

“You know more than you’re letting on!” Zipp exclaimed.

"Zipp!"

"What now, Izzy?!" Zipp turned around, but it was Sunny who called her name.

"Zipp, I'm not sure how productive this is." Sunny conjectured.

“What do you mean? Misty’s our biggest chance at learning about Opaline.” Zipp said.

"Do these details matter? Whatever Opaline has planned with our crystals, it can't be good. So no matter her motive, the goal remains the same. We need to find Opaline and restore the Unity Crystals in their rightful place."

*sigh* "You're right, Sunny." Zipp admitted.

Zipp undid Misty's hoofcuffs.

"I'm sorry, Misty. We'll take it from here. But you're welcome to help us only if you please." Zipp said.

"I didn't say releasing her was the solution, but this works I suppose." Hitch said.

"Thank you, Zephyrina." Misty said.

"So, what were you going to say to us, Misty?" Zipp asked.

"Uh... I don't remember. But you guys are right. Opaline isn't quite Dope-aline like I used to think, so if I come up with any way to half the plan we've been working on all these moons, hahaha, I'll let you guys know.

"You're really gonna let her go?" Hitch whispered.

"What harm could she do?" Zipp replied.

Misty wandered outside.

"There goes your biggest lead in solving your mystery." Cozy said. "I was right. You guys are too soft. She knows all your secrets and she's going to spill it to that alicorn."

"She's right, you know." Chrysalis added.

"Yeah well prisoning her didn't feel right either." Zipp replied.

"There'll be time to debate our morals later, but for now, we can't risk-" Hitch said.

Misty came rushing back inside in a hasty panic.

"You're back already?" Pipp asked.

"I remember what I was going to say! Duck!" Misty exclaimed.

"Duck?" Zipp asked.

"Goose?" Izzy asked.

"No, not goose! Duck! Like, NOW!!!"

Sunny looked outside, and saw a blinding light outside the station.

"She's right! Everypony get down!"

She and her friends all leaped away and underneath furniture and behind tables.

*BOOM*

There was an enormous blast that impacted the front station and sent an enormous shockwave through the rest of the building.

The ponies peaked their heads up, and saw the entire front wall of the sheriff's station was obliterated. Outside they saw Opaline standing there, holding something glowing a dim red.

*Whoo* "That's some firepower she's got..." Cozy said.

"Absolutely destructive..." Chrysalis said in awe.

"Where do ponies keep finding these powerful artifacts?" Tirek asked rhetorically.

Outside stood Opaline, holding the unity crystals. The crystals were glowing a dark sickly red.

"That's the most violent outburst yet. And there's plenty more where that came from." Opaline said under her breath.

"Come out come out, Sunny Starscout. Come get your precious Unity Crystals." Opaline exclaimed.

Sunny's friends all looked at each other.

"I-I-I'm sorry. I wanted to warn you guys!" Misty exclaimed.

"Misty! If you're not helping me, then get out of my way!" Opaline's voice echoed from outside.

"Sunny, what do we do now?" Pipp asked.

"It's time we settle the score once and for all." Sunny said, determined.

Sunny's friends all nodded in agreement.

"Don't do it. You can't face Opaline! You'll get hurt!" Misty exclaimed.

"Well, we won't get those crystals back just sitting here. Come on guys." Sunny said.

Regardless of Misty's warning, Sunny, Izzy, Hitch, Zipp, and Pipp all stood up.

The 5 of them, plus Sparky riding on Hitch's back, marched in a line opposing Opaline Arcana.

"Yes. Come to me, Sunny Starscout." Opaline said.

Author's Note:

Apologizes that Chapters have been on the shorter side lately. It's just what's easiest to do at this time. I'd rather get out the bits I'm more confident with, while I figure out the trickier bits, instead of keeping you all waiting longer than you already have been.