• Published 27th Sep 2022
  • 2,642 Views, 113 Comments

The Never-Ending Ending - 5u0myn0n4



The evil alicorn Opaline awakens an ancient evil and unleashes it upon Equestria, and Sunny Starscout and friends must unite hoof to heart to restore Harmony before the worst comes to pass.

  • ...
6
 113
 2,642

Chapter 12: Rooted in the Past

Inside Opaline's castle, and inside of her throne room, Opaline sat, and toyed with her new magic on her magic pond. She was able to manipulate the liquid inside, and make it sparkle in all kinds of magical colors.

Just behind Opaline, leaning against her throne, was her alicorn captive, Sunny Starscout. Though actually, her ethereal wings and horn were nowhere to be seen, so was ordinary earthpony Sunny. She was defeated, and had hardly any energy to move a muscle. She slowly opened her eyes halfway, and watched Opaline use her new magic.

"Like it, Sunny Starscout?" Opaline asked.

Sunny didn't answer.

"Impressive, isn't it? The magic of the most powerful alicorn of all was locked away in those three meddlesome crystals all this time. Just so I couldn't have it. But it's thanks to you that I was finally able to break through the "barrier" and not only restore myself to my former glory, but go leagues beyond that." Opaline said.

But Sunny once again kept silent.

"Hmm.. Come, Sunny. There's something I think you'd like to see." Opaline said.

Opaline started for the door leading to the tree attached to her castle, but she realized Sunny still hadn't moved a muscle.

"Oh that's right. You're too weak to get up and do anything. Very well."

Opaline picked Sunny up with her magic, and dragged her across the floor. She brought Sunny through the doorway connected to the throne room, and led to the inside of the tree growing at the top of Opaline's castle.

Inside the tree was a nice spacious room, shelves of books upon books.

"Like this little library of mine? I got the idea from a certain sparkling horse." Opaline said.

Sunny didn't reply. She hid her face and planted her face into the ground.

"I thought you'd be more excited to see my 1:1 scale replica of the Golden Oaks Library." Opaline said. "And when I say exact, I mean exact. Down to every last book kept in that library. The burnt stargazing book. Her out of chronological order Daring Do collection. It's all here. It’s been a long time in the making. I had to get every detail just right"

"There's even one very special book I keep here on the main table." Opaline said.

In the middle of the library was a tome. It was a book whose cover had a gold insignia of a unicorn.

Opaline picked up Sunny, and shoved her face onto the book.

Sunny read the first page in her head.

Once upon a time... in the magical land of Equestria, there were two regal sisters who ruled together, and created harmony for all the land.

"This is the story of Princess Twilight Sparkle." Opaline said. "Every solitary adventure she and her friends went on. Everything before, up through to the end where she was crowned ruler of Equestria. It's quite a long and interesting read, but it's not without issues."

"My main gripe with this story, is that there's a severe lack of me in it." Opaline said. "But I know a way to change that."

Opaline pulled out the feather she'd stolen from Cozy Glow, she used an enchanting spell on the feather. It began using itself to write in the journal.

"The story needs more me. And that's exactly what Cozy Glow's feather is here to write. It'll write a new story, starring me. I think you'll find it's a much more tolerable read." Opaline said. "Forget everything you think you know about Twilight Sparkle. As of now, her history is history."

"Once this feather finishes the new story, a new era will begin." Opaline said.

Sunny stared at the quill writing over the existing words. It traced bright strands of magic over the words, and wrote a similar, but different story. She felt no immediate reaction. She was already as deep into a slum as she could get.

"Still not talking? Very well. Your loss." Opaline said. "Watch Twilight's legacy be rewritten right before your very eyes then. It is quite a long read, so expect this to take about... nine days to complete? Eight and a half, give or take? But once it completes, I'll finally have completed my mission, and have undone Twilight Sparkle's legacy, one and for all!"

Opaline chuckled, and gave an evil laugh overhead. She slowly made her way out of the library, leaving Sunny alone.

Sunny slowly lifted her head, and had a look around the interior of the library. She'd recognized the name Golden Oaks Library from the stories her dad had told her, and she'd even seen illustrations of it. She'd just never thought she'd be inside the actual library. Or at least an eerily accurate replica. From every single book, to the exact type of tree it was. Every bit of décor, from the horsehead on the table, to the same stairs.

Misty poked her head inside and saw Sunny. Sunny's chin was on the table, as she merely peered her eyes around at all the books.

"How are you, Sunny?" Misty asked.

Sunny didn't reply to Misty.

"Listen, I know things seem... less than ideal, but..." Misty realized she didn't know how to finish that sentence.

"Look, I'm sorry, Sunny. I didn't expect any of this to happen..." Misty said.

Sunny turned her head and gave Misty a peeved glare.

"You're probably really mad at me for teaming up with Opaline all this time. But I assure you, that I do actually like you. Izzy has been very nice to me, and I think she'd be happy if we were friends."

Misty extended her hoof to Sunny. Sunny moved her eyes towards her hoof, and then at Misty directly.

"But of course, I realize I haven't done much to show my friendship towards you guys. My actions range from helpful, to not helpful so... I-I'll just leave you in here..."

Misty exited the library and left Sunny alone.

"I'm not good at helping Opaline, and I'm not good at helping Sunny..." Misty said to herself.

Sunny continued to slump, but then she noticed the book started glow. The entire book started to glow, way to bright. She took a few steps back and watched the book be surrounded by a powerful magical aura.

It kept glowing until it was surrounded in a purple magic sphere. The sphere then shot a bright beam of light out the window.

Sunny ran to an adjacent window to peer outside, and see what was happening.

The magic beam flew into the sky, and literally pierced the sky. The magic beam was powerful, and continuous. And it was all sourced from the magic surrounding the magic tome. Inside the magic sphere surrounding the book, Sunny could just see Cozy's feather slowly writing one letter at a time. Word by word. One row at a time.

Whatever spell Opaline put on this book, Sunny's stomach churned thinking of what it was doing, and what was going to happen when it reached the end of the story.