• Published 27th Sep 2022
  • 2,642 Views, 113 Comments

The Never-Ending Ending - 5u0myn0n4



The evil alicorn Opaline awakens an ancient evil and unleashes it upon Equestria, and Sunny Starscout and friends must unite hoof to heart to restore Harmony before the worst comes to pass.

  • ...
6
 113
 2,642

Chapter 9: Reignited

From inside a dumpster in an alleyway, Misty peeked out, and watched Cozy Glow drag Sunny across the pavement. She phoned Opaline to deliver the news.

"Opaline!" she exclaimed.

Her necklace conjured up a projection of Opaline that appeared in front of her.

"What do you want now, Misty?" Opaline asked.

"Sunny Starscout has been captured by Cozy Glow! And the rest of her friends are being held by Chrysalis and Tirek. Look!" Misty explained.

Opaline watched poor Sunny being dragged.

"For shame. I knew it was a long shot, but it appears Sunny was in over her hooves this whole time. No matter, let's just hope she's able to hold it in long enough by the time I make it to Maretime Bay. Even if not, I'll get what I want one way or another." Opaline said. "Keep me updated if anything interesting happens."

Opaline's projection disappeared, which left Misty to watch the drama unfold in front of her.

Cozy Glow plopped Sunny Starscout onto the ground. She looked up, and was horrified at what she saw.

Sunny saw all of her friends imprisoned by Lord Tirek, and trapped in magic bubbles around him. Surrounding the trio were Izzy Moonbow, Pipp Petals, Sprout Cloverleaf, Sparky, Hitch, and Zipp Storm, imprisoned in magic bubbles.

"She's the real deal alright. She's got delicious alicorn magic." Cozy said.

"Excellent." Chrysalis said.

"So here's the deal, Sunny Starscout. If you will simply give up your magic to us, we'll release your friends." Tirek said.

"But should you refuse, we'll make them suffer." Chrysalis added.

Tirek clenched his fist, and shocked everypony.

"Please! Don't hurt them!" Sunny pleaded.

"Don't do it, Sunny!"
"Don't!"
"Don't do it!"

The muffled cries of her friends could be heard as they yelled.

"This is an old classic tactic I used against Twilight Sparkle, and it seems just as effective against you." Tirek said. "Doesn't matter who it is, or when it is, you ponies all share the same weakness."

"You think your friends are your greatest strength. Twilight thought the same. But they're really your biggest vulnerability." Cozy said.

"You're just as weak as Twilight Sparkle. If not more so." Chrysalis said.

"No... I'm not Twilight. I'm Sunny Starscout..." Sunny wept. *sniff* "I'm supposed to be everypony's defender of pony unity. But so far all my powers have done is gotten my friends into big heaps of trouble..."

Sunny hung her head and thought.

"Twilight Sparkle abandoned her friends, because friendship wasn't enough. It was the weakness that held her back." Opaline echoed.

"Perhaps it is better that I do give up my powers..." Sunny said under her breath.

"No..." a small voice echoed in Sunny's head.

"Your dad never would've wanted you to quit, Sunny." Sprout's words echoed.

"Hoof to heart. Always." her own voice echoed.

"You can't give up, Sunny... not while everypony is counting on you." Izzy's voice echoed.

"No." Sunny said under her breath.

Sunny looked up, determined.

"I refuse to give you my alicorn powers." she said.

The trio all looked at each other, surprised.

"Very well." Tirek said, gleefully.

With a clench of his fist, he unleashed more pain upon everyone.

"I have to do something. Quick Sunny, think." she said to herself.

That's when Sunny got the idea.

She noticed the storm clouds seemed awfully familiar. They weren't rough, but they looked just like the clouds from Maretime Bay Day. The same ones that- and that's when Sunny got an idea.

"You know what, you can keep them." Sunny said.

"WHAT?!" everyone exclaimed.

"I mean, you're right. Who needs friends anyway? I'm the alicorn! I got all the power I could ever want at my own disposal!" Sunny said, showing off her glowing wings.

"She does have a point. This isn't exactly a fair trade. A bunch of useless cronies for one alicorn." Cozy said.

"It's not quite enough. Come on Sunny. You need to sell." she said to herself.

"Hey Pipp, I just thought you should know that I dropped your toothbrush on the floor, then didn't wash it before you used it again!" Sunny said.

"WHAT!!??" Pipp exclaimed.

"And Izzy, you have been a nightmare roommate ever since we've been living in the Crystal Bright House!"

"Yeah well what if I DON'T wanna live in the bright house?! What if I went back to Bridlewood!!??" Izzy exclaimed.

As everypony yelled, the clouds and the storm worsened. Exactly what Sunny was counting on.

"Zipp, you call yourself a detective! Bet you couldn't solve the mystery of... uh... why you're trapped in a magic bubble!" Sunny yelled.

"Sunny, what are you..." Zipp said, but she looked down and noticed the storm worsening. She too recognized the storm from Maretime Bay Day. Suddenly she realized what Sunny was doing, and went along with it.

"Well uh... why do you get to be the alicorn? Huh? Why cant I grow a horn? You don't have either, but you get to have both?" Zipp yelled, attempting to sound angry.

"Hitch, you... your dragon is the reason we're in this mess in the first place!" Sunny exclaimed.

"Well, SORE-REY!" Hitch and Sparky exclaimed. Except Sparky said it in his dragon coo language.

The legion snarled and giggled at the events.

"Some friends." Cozy said.

"They get into petty arguments almost as bad as we do." Tirek said.

The trio laughed so much, they didn't notice the clouds rolling in.

"And Sprout. Why you oughta get a piece of my mind! For turning all of Maretime Bay against us, and destroying my childhood home!

"Well then. I see how it is." Sprout said, in a deadpan unsurprised tone.

"Hehehe. Is that all?" Tirek said while chuckling.

"Please continue. Please go on about how lousy you think your friends are! Ahahaha!" Cozy laughed.

But suddenly, the clouds rolled in and the winds picked up.

"Brr... why is it getting colder?" Cozy asked, while shivering.

Everypony watched the gray clouds roll in. The ponies of Maretime Bay recognized these clouds immediately, but the old trio were confused.

The trio laughed, but their laughter was suddenly interrupted when a bolt of lightning shot on the ground, and startled everypony.

"What was that? What's happening?!" Cozy exclaimed, scared.

The lightning strike impacted, and opened a void in the ground.

"WHAT THE?!" Chrysalis shrieked.

"What is that?!" Tirekk exclaimed.

"An escape route." Sunny said.

Sunny used her magic, and thrusted all of her friends into the void.

"Sunny what are you-AAAHHHH!!!"

"AAHHHH!!!"

Everypony cried as they all fell into the mysterious void. Sunny then jumped into the void herself.

"WHAT THE?!" the trio exclaimed.

"WHAT IS SHE DOING?!" Chrysalis exclaimed.

The trio of villains watched the big opening in the ground that Sunny just jumped into with great suspense.

Within just a few short moments, Sunny Starscout emerged from the depths of the mysterious void, and brought her friends with her.

Sunny had rescued her friends from their grasp, and they were by her side.

"What did you just-" Cozy started.

"How did you..." Tirek said, trailing off, amazed.

"Sunny, you did it." Hitch said.

"You saved us!" Zipp exclaimed.

"Ooooh... we were only pretending to be angry with each other!" Izzy said.

"Yeah hehe..." Pipp said. "I'm still getting a new toothbrush, just in case..."

Sunny's friends all gathered 'round in warm embrace, leaving the villainous trio puzzled, and distraught.

"And now that my friends and Sprout are back by my side." Sunny said, as her alicorn wings and horn glowed brighter. "I'm confident we can finish this off."

"Wuh-oh..." Cozy said.

Sprout took a few steps back, and let Sunny and her actual friends unite.

Everypony's cutie marks glowed brightly, and Sunny's alicorn horns and wings appeared more radiant than ever.

Sunny herself floated up.

"Why does this keep happening...?" Cozy said.

"Sparky? Wanna lend me a little hoof?" Sunny asked.

Sparky spat a ball of fire at Sunny. She spun around in the air, and used the fire to make herself a fiery alicorn.

Sunny's horn lit up, and suddenly-

*BOOM*

She fired a huge beam of light at the Legion of Doom, which completely defeated them.

When the beam stopped, Sunny floated down slowly next to her friends.

Her friends all hugged her in excitement. Sprout slowly trotted off. None of them seemed to pay any mind to him anyway.

"Sunny, that was incredible!" Pipp exclaimed.

"You were like AAAaaa and they were all NOOOOO! And our plan totally worked!" Izzy said excitedly.

"I knew you had it in you." Zipp said.

"More like, we had it in us." Sunny said. "I couldn't have done any of this without you guys."

"Hopefully that's the last time anyone messes with my little dragon boy." Hitch said.

As everypony congratulated each other, Sunny peered over and saw the trio. Their faces were face down planted on the ground, and they barely moved.

"You want to help them, don't you?" Pipp asked.

Sunny nodded affirmatively.

"First thing's first. Let's restore everypony else's magic. Then we'll come up with an appropriate way to deal with them." Hitch said.

Sparky walked up to Tirek slowly, and embraced one of his horns. Sparky started singing, and glowing, and absorbing Tirek's magic. Tirek's size shrank as Sparky absorbed the magic he contained, and Sparky's horn thingy's grew slightly in size and turned red.

"Way to go, Sparky." Hitch said.

Tirek was reduced to a thin bony centaur, and Sparky had a huge belly, and very tall red horns.

"Woah, I didn't know Sparky could change colors." Izzy said.

"You sure about this, Hitch?" Zipp asked.

"Not at all. Now let's find everypony whose magic was taken and return it to them immediately." Hitch said.


Misty watched the fanfare and celebration from around the corner. She was amazed and astonished at Sunny's cleverness and bravery that allowed her and her friends to beat the mean trio.

"Wow! They actually did it! I gotta tell Opaline!" Misty said to herself aloud.

Misty tapped her necklace to contact Opaline.

"Opaline, they did it! Sunny saved her friends and they united in friendship! You should've seen it! I've never seen so much magic at once, and I think it was because of their cutie mark magic! Opaline, did you get all that? ...Opaline?"

Strangely, there was no response from Misty's necklace.

"Opaline? You there? Opaline, this is important see..."

Misty looked up, and saw Opaline slowly strutting in front of her.

"Oh, Opaline! You're here in Maretime Bay. Need me to-" Misty started, but Opaline spoke over her.

"I think you've done plenty for now, Misty. I'll take it from here." Opaline said.

Opaline and Misty watched Sparky inhale all the magic Tirek had collected.

"This is a crucial moment for my plan. Lord Tirek, Sparky Spark, it doesn't matter who. All that matters is as much magic as possible is collected within one place.

"Ah, so you're letting Sparky take the magic so then when we get him next time, you'll have all the magic. That is a stroke of brilliance Opaline." Misty said.

"Precisely, Misty. Now's my time. This is the moment I've waited for. It's time I seize the opportunity and declare my stance on Equestria." Opaline said. "I'm coming, Sunny Starscout."