• Published 27th Sep 2022
  • 2,642 Views, 113 Comments

The Never-Ending Ending - 5u0myn0n4



The evil alicorn Opaline awakens an ancient evil and unleashes it upon Equestria, and Sunny Starscout and friends must unite hoof to heart to restore Harmony before the worst comes to pass.

  • ...
6
 113
 2,642

Chapter 16: Alicornism

Inside Opaline's replica of the Golden Oaks Library, Opaline read the words that were currently being scribbled into the pages of the Golden tome by Cozy Glow's pegasus feather.

"Though her friends were skeptical at first due to their previous brush with Starlight Glimmer, Princess Twilight Sparkle assured her friends that Starlight Glimmer had changed her ways, and was ready to make friends. The ponies all rejoiced and sang in a song, and welcomed Starlight Glimmer with open hooves, as they all made a new ally, and a new friend."

Opaline turned her head to see sad Sunny.

"How wonderful. Who knew making friends was so easy." Opaline said.

The page flipped over to begin a new chapter. Opaline winced when she realized what it was.

"Ugh. I hate these Crystal Empire chapters. Especially this one involving... ugh."

Once again, Sunny was scarce for words. She slumped, as her normal earth pony self, as she'd done since being kidnapped.

"It's been six days already Sunny, and there's been no hint of your alicorn powers so far." Opaline said. "Being an alicorn makes you special. A makeshift alicorn no less. There's no other pony like you."

Sunny turned her head away from Opaline, but spoke anyway.

"I'm not even sure I could if I wanted to. Didn't you take all the magic? You shattered the Unity Crystals, and sniffed up all the magic within. I can't become an alicorn any more, right?" she asked.

"Indeed I did." Opaline said.

"Perhaps it would help if you lent me some of your magic. You know. Help get me over that hill, and let out my inner alicorn." Sunny said.

"You're willing to cooperate, and allow me to help you be an alicorn?" Opaline asked.

Sunny nodded.

"Very well, I shall help, under one term. The next time you're an alicorn, you'll serve me. Nay, we shall be partners. Alicorn y alicorn. The two of us will rule new Equestria. Or, how about I'll be the princess, and you could be the protégé." Opaline said.

Sunny didn't give a reply to Opaline's request. She chose to keep quiet, and keep her thoughts to herself.

"Having second thoughts? Don't want in on my scheme?" Opaline asked. "Suit yourself. I'll just let you remain your same old, non-special self for the rest of Equestria's days."

"If I'm not special, then why did you capture me?" Sunny asked.

"Hmph. You got me." Opaline said.

Opaline exited the Golden Oaks Library, leaving Sunny with the book.

Sunny reached her hoof at the book and touched the forcefield protecting it. The forcefield zapped her hoof when she touched it. She watched the quill scribble in more words. She caught the glimpse of names she was somewhat familiar with, such as Princess Cadance, and Princess Flurry Heart.

It was then that Sunny turned her attention to the upstairs. She hadn't seen what was up there yet, but this was also the first time Opaline left Sunny unattended in the library. She was curious to see what was upstairs, but something about that idea felt... unsettling. So she decided not to.


Sunny re-entered the throne room, and saw Opaline was already asleep and snoring away. Sunny, feeling tired herself, went up and leaned against the throne.

Misty peeked her head into the throne room, and saw Opaline snoozing away, and Sunny sitting besides her next to the throne.

"You doing alright, Sunny?" Misty asked.

"...Fine as usual." Sunny said.

"I brought you some tea. If you want it of course. You don't have to." Misty said.

"No thanks. I'm good." Sunny said, ending her sentence with a deep sigh.

"I don’t like seeing you like this, Sunny.” Misty said.

"Like what? Disappointed that I'm not an alicorn?" Sunny asked.

"I could give or take that. Or rather, what I mean is, I like you as an earthpony just fine." Misty said.

"Thanks Misty. That makes you one of the few." Sunny said.

"Did Opaline say something that bothered you?" Misty asked.

"Well, it's just... I'd never serve Opaline. Especially after seeing the horrible stuff she's done to magic, and my friends." Sunny said.

Misty looked down, nervously.

"Which begs the question, why is a sweet unicorn like yourself serving such a nasty alicorn like Opaline?" Sunny asked.

"How did you two meet?" Sunny asked.

"I've known Opaline for as long as I can remember." Misty said. "Sure she's... I know she hasn't... but you see the thing is...
Opaline's done so much for me. She's pretty much raised me since I was a foal, and made sure I was well cared for."

Misty said, as she went into greater detail into her time with Opaline.

“She used to tell me stories about how great she was when she had magic, and longed for the day that magic would return and restore her to her former glory. And indeed, when the magic came back, and in particular when earthponies became magical, that's when Opaline took a special interest in what was going on at Maretime Bay. She sent me out to scope and spy on you guys, and give you the alicorn compact.”

"Wait, you gave it to me? Not Pipp?" Sunny asked.

Misty nodded.

"Has Opaline ever told you her full plan?" Sunny asked. "Like what's with that magic book in the library?"

"Not really. She's always been vague. She tasks me with things, but explains the plan as we go along." Misty said.

"Do you ever stop for a moment and think about the big picture? Really think about what she's planning?" Sunny asked.

"I guess... not?" Misty said, sounding unsure.

"And how about now? Now that you've seen the lengths she'll go through to do unspeakably horrible things, how can you still stand by her?" Sunny asked.

"She's the only friend I've known..." Misty said.

"We can be your friends, Misty. Me, and my friends. We can show what it's like to truly want to help ponies towards good causes." Sunny said.

Misty and Sunny looked up, and saw Opaline’s horn was once again glowing as she slept. Her magic once again seeped from her horn and connected to the magic pool in the center of the room. The magic pool glowed, and projected upwards moving images.

“Look, Sunny. Opaline’s dreaming again.” Misty said.

“What is it this time?” Sunny asked.

Opaline was once again dreaming, and projecting her dream above the magic pool.

This time, it projected events that took place in the Crystal Empire.


In the Crystal Empire, there was a meeting called on by the leader of the Crystal Empire, Princess Flurry Heart. This meeting was of the utmost importance.

Leader of Equestria, Princess Twilight Sparkle was in attendance, as was her royal advisor, Spike the dragon. Representing the Crystal Empire, was Princess Flurry Heart's herself, with her most trusted advisor, an older unicorn named Opaline Arcana.

"Princess Twilight, you wished to have a meeting?" Flurry said.

"That's right." Twilight said. "My dear Equestrians. It has been a prosperous time as Princess, but I fear darkness is on the horizon. Ponies have been attacked, and threatened. By who? Or what? We do not know these answers yet. But we are intent on investigating."

"The latest word is that there is somepony after the magic of Equestria. We've ruled out Lord Tirek, as he is still in stone with Chrysalis and Cozy Glow." Spike explained.

"My greatest fear is that there's a new villain. Somepony lurking out there, or worse, under our snouts." Twilight said.


The Crystal Heart was moved to a more protective location in an effort to keep it out of harm's reach. It was in a chamber below the Crystal Spire. Flurry Heart and Opaline circled the Crystal Heart to make sure it was well protected.

"Good thinking, Opaline. Moving the Crystal Heart to a more secretive location, safe from anypony who might try to steal from it." Flurry Heart said.

"Yes. Out of the public eye, and into hiding. Now nopony can see or harm the Crystal Heart. Its magic is safe here." Opaline said.

"What do you suppose some evil force would want to do with the Crystal Heart?" Flurry asked.

"Hmm. Uh... not sure. But doesn't the weather get worse when it is broken?" Opaline said.

"Good point. Well taken." Flurry said.

The dark chamber below made the glow of the Crystal Heart all the more dazzling. It sparkled, and projected out fascinating patterns against the wall.

"I've never noticed how vibrant the Crystal Heart is. Normally outside the other lights hide its vibrancy. But down here, you can see the glow in its full glory." Flurry Heart said.

Opaline noticed Flurry was distracted. Now was the perfect time to initiate her sinister plan.

The bright blue glow of the Crystal Heart started to dim and turn red. Flurry then noticed it was difficult for her to move her legs.

"Huh? What's happening?!" Flurry exclaimed.

"What's the matter, Flurry?!" Opaline asked in a panicked tone.

"I don't know! I think there's somepony else here! Who else could've-"

Flurry noticed The red glow around the Crystal Heart also surrounded Opaline's horn. This was deliberate.

"YOU!"

Flurry attempted to lunge at Opaline, but she couldn't reach far enough.

"What's the matter, little Flurry?" Opaline asked.

Flurry fell to the floor in shambles, and in tears.

"Upset that mommy isn't here to bail you out of this?!" Opaline teased.

"What do you want, Opaline?!" Flurry asked.

"I want what you have!" Opaline exclaimed.

"AAH!!!" Flurry screamed.

Flurry felt a horrible pain on the surface of her flank.

"I want what Twilight has! I want what all you alicorns have!!" Opaline exclaimed.

Opaline was using a spell to steal the cutie mark right from Flurry Heart's flank.

"I do not have time to wait for destiny to choose me. What if I never get chosen? I'll make my own choices! And I choose to be the most powerful alicorn ever!!" Opaline exclaimed.

The Crystal Heart shattered, and Flurry Heart's cutie mark was pulled from her flank.

"And I'm going to achieve it by stealing it from all the remaining alicorns. Hmhmhmm. One down, only... one more to go. That's awfully convenient." Opaline said.

.
.
.

Opaline used the spell to complete the scheme. She placed Flurry Heart's cutie mark over her own blank flank, and Flurry's mark became hers. And with it, all the power that came with being an alicorn. And fortunately for her, a pair of wings easily formed from the sparkles and essence of her newly acquired alicorn magic.

Opaline put on an iron pony mask to hide her identity, and fled the Crystal Empire in a magical haste, leaving the shards of the Crystal Heart littered within.

Opaline wore a cloak to disguise herself. Now that she is an alicorn, she continued to cause mischief throughout Equestria, and seeding mistrust in the tribes.


The projection above the mirror flashed, and another scene appeared.

Twilight had finally caught up to the devious creature who had stolen the cutie mark and magic from her niece.

"Unmask yourself, Opaline Arcana!" Twilight exclaimed.

Opaline removed her iron pony mask, revealing her ugly mug to Twilight.

"How'd you know it was me, your lowly disciple?" Opaline asked, sarcastically. "Aren't you just so devastated that such a loyal assistant of yours would turn traitor, and rage war against you?" Opaline asked.

"I could give or take. You used Flurry's loyalty against her. I owe you no kind regards. I'll do everything in my power to stop you." Twilight said.

"You sound so serious, Twilight.

Twilight was ready to have a vengeful battle against Opaline. But that was just it. Vengeful. She saw Flurry Heart's cutie mark on the flank of this hideous mare, and sight of her niece's cutie mark on the flank of this fiend was enough to freeze her with fear.

"What's the matter, Twilight? You look like you've seen a ghost." Opaline said.

Twilight merely stood frozen with fear. Unable to act, or stop Opaline.

"I learned from my predecessors. Cozy Glow, Lord Tirek, and Queen Chrysalis thoroughly demonstrated how easy it was to break the trust between ponies. I simply tried what they did, and lo and behold it worked easily. King Sombra knew the Crystal Heart was an immense source of power, so I broke it." Opaline said.

Twilight was still frozen.

“Well if you’re not going to try to stop me, don’t. I’m off to cause more terror, and sap more ponies of their magic!”

Opaline zoomed off and flew away, leaving Twilight dazed, and unsure what to do.

"Twilight? What's wrong?" Spike asked.

"I-I'm fine Spike." Twilight replied.

"So then why didn't you stop her?!" Spike exclaimed. "I mean, not to sound rude, but what the heck were you thinking?!" Spike asked.

"It just didn't feel right. I don't know if it's because she has Flurry's cutie mark, or it's something she said that got into my head."

"I just never thought that it would ever come to this. I thought we were done fighting evil. I thought that was the last of it. But once again, our very way of life is being challenged by a greedy, hateful, and power hungry fiend. I thought things were going to be different from now on. I thought this was finally it. I thought we'd stomped out the remainder of all evil when we defeated Tirek, Chrysalis, and Cozy Glow. Perhaps it was foolish, arrogant even, to think that could ever happen." Twilight said.

Spike put his hand onto Twilight's shoulder.

"I know things are harder now. Especially since... *sob* the mane 6 lost a valuable member. It's not like it used to. We don't have all 6 of us to unite and vanquish our foes. But that doesn't mean she's not beatable. You have Celestia, Luna, and Cadance's magic with you." Spike said.

"But last time I had that, I couldn't even beat Lord Tirek. It was only when I had all my friends... but now I don't have all of them..." Twilight wept.

"I know as your royal advisor I'm supposed to have all the answers... *sob* but I just don't right now." Spike said, crying.

Spike slapped himself to push away the incoming tears.

"All I can say is pull yourself together, and save Equestria for Celestia's sake! You can't stay sad forever!" Spike exclaimed.

Twilight looked at Spike, confused.

"I mean, *ahem* Sorry.." Spike said, apologizing.

"No, you're right Spike. Friends or not, I have a duty to defend Equestria. And that's just what I'm going to do. I'm going to stop Opaline. And I'm going to make sure nopony has the opportunity to do this ever again!"


There was another bright flash, and now a different scene played out above the magic pool. This time it showed Twilight in Spike somewhere in Canterlot, coming up with ideas.

"So, what's the plan, Twilight? What did you have in mind?" Spike asked.

"I'm not sure. I know what we must do. We have to stop Opaline. How do we do that? I'm unsure." Twilight said.

"She's created so much hysteria and paranoia throughout Equestria!” Spike said.

"This might be our toughest battle yet. She's taken a page from so many of our past adversaries. Well if she's going to 'take inspiration from my predecessors’, we're going to take inspiration ourselves!" Twilight said. "She wants to take magic? We’ll just have to take it back. We need to take her magic away."

"Taking magic away? When have we seen that before?" Spike asked rhetorically. "Would you possibly... are we gonna use Grogar's Bewitching Bell?"

"No. We're not going to use Grogar's bell. That object was created by an evil tyrant for evil purposes! I'm going to create something new! Something that will restore harmony. Something that will represent everypony!" Twilight said. "We need... we need..."

*Twilight hung her head in shambles*

“What’s wrong Twilight?” Spike asked.

*sigh* “Opaline was a trusted ally, who turned on us unexpectedly. She may have been plotting this the whole time without us knowing. If we restore everypony’s magic, what’s stopping this from happening again? It’s an endless cycle. As long as there is magic, there will be somepony who seeks to take it, or destroy it. So what if…” Twilight said.

“Twilight, you’re not suggesting…” Spike said.

“Of course not. I don’t want magic to disappear forever. I'd never dream of it. Nor do I want to have to regulate magic usage myself. That seems too overbearing. There has to be another way. A smart way to do this…” Twilight pondered.

“And you always come up with smart solutions.” Spike said. “Think about this. We know what Equestria needs. We just don’t know how to get there yet. But there’s no destination we can’t reach with the right magic.”

Spike poked Twilight's nose with his claw to ease her nerves.

"Hehehe. Thanks, Spike. You're right. We got this." Twilight said, optimistically.


Suddenly the projection went into fast forward, and showed the sun and moon rising and setting. All the while Twilight and Spike spent these many days pacing, and brainstorming a plan for how to stop Opaline Arcana, and simultaneously shut the door on the possibility of any pony abusing magic ever again. It was not an easy task. Any ideas either involve being rid of magic altogether, or leave magic too vulnerable. Coming up with the perfect solution was tricky. But ultimately, no solution is perfect, and Twilight had to act fast, as Opaline was making her rounds around Equestria.

The flashback slowed down, as Twilight's final plan took shape.

“Equestria needs a new beacon of hope. A new image of friendship. Rather than unified under a common ruler, they will hopefully find Unity.” Twilight explained.

“When they look at these Crystals, they’ll see themselves. And when the Crystals come together, they’ll see their Unity shining back at them. That’s when the real magic will shine, and only then will magic be usable. And only be those pure of heart.” Twilight said.

“That uh... this might work, Twilight.” Spike said.

“But such a creation is going to require a lot of magic to manifest I’m afraid.” Twilight said.

“How much magic we speaking of?” Spike asked.

Twilight paused and didn’t answer. She didn’t want to explain to Spike.

“Twilight…?” Spike asked.

She knew in her head it was going to take nearly all her magic to forge a series of crystals in her image.


The projection flashed, this time showing Opaline Arcana, raging terror across Equestria. Every town she touched, trembled and gave up their magic to her.

“Opaline Arcana!!” Twilight exclaimed, in her loudest Royal Canterlot voice.

Opaline turned around, and saw a radiant Twilight descended from above.

"This has gone on long enough!" Twilight exclaimed.

"I disagree! This is only the beginning! My reign over Equestria will be eternal!" Opaline exclaimed.

"Never! You are a disgrace to alicorns! You are a disgrace to magic! You are a disgrace to friendship!" Twilight exclaimed.

"You're breaking my heart, Twilight." Opaline said, sarcastically.

"You will be banished forever for your sins! You have brought distraught and hate to Equestria! But no more! And nopony shall do anything of the sort ever again! Not so long as the magic is protected by Unity!" Twilight exclaimed.

"Uh huh. And just how are you going to do that? Without your friends you are weak! But I don't need friends to be strong! I am an alicorn! And unlike you, I know what it truly means to be an alicorn! I don't need friends to lift me up! I don't need flashy rainbows! This is the true power of alicorns!!" Opaline exclaimed.

Twilight held back her feelings. She couldn't let Opaline's comments about her friends get her down.

"The magic of Equestria is strong. You clearly recognize that. Of course, that's why you want it for yourself. But try as you might, but you could never hold all the magic in Equestria!" Twilight said.

"That's fine. I only need enough magic to defeat you." Opaline said.

"And that's been the problem. For too long, the magic has been too vulnerable. For generations, there have been those who for one reason or another sought to take as much magic as they can. You're merely the latest in a line of scummy individuals. You're nothing new, or special." Twilight said.

"So then what exactly are you expecting if you were to defeat me? If what you say is true, somepony else later will attempt the same scheme. Why fight it? Just give me all the magic." Opaline said.

"Things will be different. The magic will be different from now on. What I have come up with will not only defeat you, but ensure that you, or nopony like you, could ever abuse magic ever again!" Twilight exclaimed.

"I'm dying to see this brilliant idea you've come up with." Opaline said.

Twilight pulled out three glowing bright crystals. They were each very bright, and glowed their own distinct color.

"What have you got there?" Opaline said, looking worried.

"Your undoing. Your worst nightmare. Equestria's newest beacon of hope. Forged from the shattered pieces of the Crystal Heart you destroyed." Twilight said.

The three crystals joined together, and fit neatly into shape. The crystals glowed even brighter when they joined together.

"Uh oh..." Opaline said.

Twilight's eyes glowed white, and her mane was bright and flowing. She held the Crystals above her as they glowed brighter than the sun.

"Wait. You can't! Anything but-" Opaline pleaded.

Twilight was ready to unleash her magic. She unleashed a massive wave of magic onto Opaline.

The entire scene was too bright to really see what was going on after this. It is then when Sunny and Misty noticed that the real Opaline sitting next to them was getting restless in her sleep. She started tossing and turning. The projection cut in and out, until the image was lost entirely.

"What's happening?" Misty asked.

Opaline began grunting, and stressing in pain. Her horn glowed bright.

Sunny took a step away from Opaline's throne.

"Opaline. Are you okay?" Misty asked.

"AAAHHHH!!!" Opaline exclaimed.

Opaline's horn glowed a bright purple, and her eyes looked uneven.

Suddenly Opaline's horn glowed on its own, and attached its magic to the tome in the library. Her own magic pulled on the tome, but it was firmly in place. The tugging force forcefully thrusted Opaline into the library.

"Opaline... stole her cutie mark?" Misty said under her breath.

"From an alicorn princess?" Sunny added.

In the library, Opaline lifted her hooves against her own will, and they pressed against the forcefield protecting the tome. The heat of the forcefield against Opaline singed her skin and her mane.

"GAH! Try as you might, youuuuu cannot... pREvAil!" Opaline exclaimed. "Even though you are gone, Twilight Sparkle, your magic is still attempting to bring me down. But it is not going to work. Even if you did, my spell is in motion. And in just a few days time, everything you sought to create will be destroyed!!!"

Opaline glared at the book, and read its contents. She just so happened to spot the name Princess Flurry Heart, and it immediately triggered an visceral reaction inside of her.

"I've waited too long for this! I will succeed in destroying Equestria! And nopony can stop me! Not you! Not Sunny!! NoponY!!!"