• Published 11th Jul 2022
  • 3,168 Views, 162 Comments

Sugar Hoof the Wizard Colt - Furenstein



A human wizard ends up in Equss in the body of a small colt.

  • ...
19
 162
 3,168

Klugetown

Little pebbles assaulted my magic shield with a vengeance as I carved up two more rooms in my home. I had gotten better at this spell since I wound up here so it didn't take me too long for the rooms to start taking shape. If it wasn't for my shield, I'd likely be missing an eye right now, and who knows how many rocks would be stuck in my little hooves. The dirt and rock underneath me was riddled with cave slime so a light squelching noise took place when I moved on it. I couldn't wait to get some proper flooring down.

That could wait though, there was work to be done. The rooms were small but they weren't meant to hold many items. Just enough room to hold the map and some travelling gear, I can't remain here forever. I'll set up a mark and recall spell so I can easily get back, but there is magic to be investigated and researched everywhere. Eventually, the chipping of stone gave way to a grinding noise as the walls were smoothed down.

The second room would be used for defense. Sure I had the treants, but they won't be able to handle every situation. They're not very strong on their own, especially since the only source of life magic is here, and we're surrounded by desert. In the center of the second room I set up an oval shaped fire pit before I began melting some rock in a magic bubble. In short order, I had what appeared to be a very primitive fireplace. Two rock columns to act as pillars, and one large one as a roof. That's what anyone who sees it would think if they didn't understand it's meaning. This is the shape needed to host a life font, a magical shield generator as it were. It never runs out of power and both it and the shield it generates are near indestructible. The only reason these never show up anymore is the lack of availability of the ingredients to activate it.

A bottle of unicorn tears, a fairy's wings, an emerald, and parsley. The emerald and parsley I could do easily, I think I have both in my lab, but a fairy's wings and a bottle of unicorn tears? It's a felony to rip out a fairy's wings and I'm not too eager to cry enough to fill up an entire bottle. Despite this, all students of life magic build them in their homes as it has become tradition.

After finishing the life font, I began to work on the room before it, the travel room. It was larger than the life font room since I'd be storing all my travelling gear in here. Well, when I get travelling gear, that is. Sitting down in the center of the room, I took out a large piece of paper and in my magic and prepared myself to scan the area around the desert. The way I figure it, the fish and the arachnid came from somewhere, and it had to be decently close by for them to know something was up with this place as quick as they did.

With my back straight, I lit my horn and spread my magic underground like the roots of a tree. In all directions they ran, scanning everything that dared move near them. The treants I felt first, followed by scorpions and insects outside. That was all I could feel for a few miles until I hit far enough north to sense roughly a hundred things moving. Some matched the gait of the fish, some of the arachnid, and some others I could barely even sense. My magic quickly drew out a detailed map to this location as I continued my scanning.

I did sense a few smaller communities scattered around in the desert, but that was it. I let my magic fade away as I opened my eyes and surveyed my map. Just a few miles north of my rock home was this town, Bulkul and the arachnid must've come from there. Luckily, the fish never saw me so wouldn't be able to place me if he saw me.

I galloped to my storage rooms and grabbed a few potions, some for healing, some for magic, and some for invisibility. Sticking them into a bag and then tying the bag around my torso, I walked out of my home and headed north. With a shield spell cast around myself to keep the sand off of me, I left the treants alone to guard.

"I hope the treants don't get lonely without me." I said.


"Klugetown, huh?" I said as I approached the town I had sensed from my scanning spell. It was a shanty-town basically. The entire town looked like it was held together with bubble gum. A mish-mash of themes and identities. As I walked in, I realized how much the architecture matched the aesthetic as I saw many different peoples going about their days. Moles, rats, fish, insects, cats, and a few ... deep ocean creatures moved all around.

I walked past a bunch of peddlers hovering around the town entrance, desperate for someone to buy their wares. I had hoped to be left alone, but that is not how peddlers work. An old mole man called out to me behind his market stall where what appeared to be horns from all manner of creature.

"Ooh, you with the horn, you selling?" He said, wiggling his four fingers at the prospect of wares to add to his collection.

Knowing that I was in no real harm, I replied, "Depends, how much are you willing to pay?"

He took down his hood and got a closer look at my horn before mumbling under his breathe. After a few seconds he shot back. "twenty storm bucks."

Having no idea what a storm buck is, I took the deal and began twisting my horn with my magic. The man's eyes widened as he watched my horn shake and with a sickening crunch, separate from my head. Without my horn, I levitated the now bloody appendage onto his market stall.

He stood for a second with a shocked facial expression before tossing over a bag of strange black coins with a few blue lightning bolts on them. I easily snatched the bag from the air and emptied it's contents into the bag around my torso.

The pig man didn't say anything as I walked away, but I did catch him poking my horn with one hand while the other was on his face.

After this, I went down into an empty alleyway where I sifted through my bag and counted out exactly how many 'storm bucks' I got.

"1...2...3...4..." I expected the pig man to look as if he'd given me a bad deal, maybe I should've waited a few seconds to take off my horn so I could gauge his reaction and learn more about how much horns are worth. After all, it's not like I can't regrow it.

Life magic comes from the heart, horns are no different than wands and staffs. Just because a wizard loses his staff doesn't mean he's unable to access his magic. From my heart a burst of bright green life magic erupted and filled my body, I could feel the bone and flesh from where my horn once were regrow in short order.

"18...19...20. Yep, exactly as he promised." I said as I hung the bag on my back again and headed off to learn more about this strange location I have found myself in.