• Published 11th Jul 2022
  • 3,168 Views, 162 Comments

Sugar Hoof the Wizard Colt - Furenstein



A human wizard ends up in Equss in the body of a small colt.

  • ...
19
 162
 3,168

The Happiness of Living and the Discomfort a Lie Provides

I had nothing to do and I didn't dare use my magic for fear of being thrown in Tartarus. I paced in a circle in my 'cell'. Sure they locked both doors, but really? A tower?

The harmony swished around like a warm liquid in my heart, it was pleasant to feel, but I wished I knew how to get rid of it. I could grow a regular tree and try to force the harmony magic into it, but the tree of harmony was made of crystal, and bore magically infused crystal fruits to be used as weapons. I didn't know how to do such things. The closest I had ever heard of crystal trees were blocks of ice cut into the shape of trees for exuberant dinner parties held by nobility. Despite my many years of magical study, Ice magic wasn't one of the schools I researched.

I stopped pacing as I thought of something, "Do I add harmony magic to the list of magics I know," I didn't know how to categorize harmony, "If shadowmancy is the magic outside the other fourteen and three, is harmony a collection of all seventeen schools?" I asked myself in a whisper. Nothing I had ever researched gave mention to harmony.

Eighty nine years of study, and all I truly had to show for it was mastery in one, and competency in four. Well, seventy nine years, I didn't know I had magic until I was roughly ten, but still. Seventy nine years for a mastery in theurgy, and slightly above par skills in necromancy, pyromancy, divination, and shadowmancy.

"Sorcery to maintain balance, harmony to unite?" I rubbed the back of my head with a hoof, wishing I had some paper to write my theories down with. "Equilibrium and harmony, to maintain balance ..." I knew those three had to fit together somehow, I just didn't know exactly which way.

"One birthed the other—" My thoughts were halted as the door of my cell opened.


"Books once belonging to King Sombra somehow found their way into a desert trading town." Princess Celestia said, reading Shining Armor's report.

"An entire empire is banished, but of course, some of his wicked arts survived." Replied Princess Luna, rolling her eyes. "The desert belongs to The Storm King, sending guards would be viewed as a provocation. But we need those books, especially now that they've resurfaced enough for a foal to find them."

"If The Storm King found those books, war would be inevitable." Celestia said, looking down at the thought.

"We can't just send Twilight and her friends after them, without the elements, Faust only knows what would happen to them." Luna replied.

Taking a deep breath, Celestia prepared herself for what she'd need to do next.

"I've looked at your schedule, you aren't meeting any nobles until this evening."

Princess Celestia walked out of the room with a practiced grace. "Come along, I'd like you with me."

Luna got out of her chair and followed after her sister, "Sister, what has gotten into you?"

"Breakfast with Sugar Hoof," Said the solar princess before adding on, "He's our only option." With a growl.


The Golden Oak's Library was in disarray, Twilight Sparkle frantically read every book she could, in hope of finding an answer.

Twilight groaned as she slammed her face into a book. "None of these books mention anything about what to do if the elements get destroyed."

"They weren't destroyed," Rainbow Dash said, "That colt still has them inside of him."

"That shouldn't even be possible! How does somepony just absorb magic into themselves like that?" Twilight replied, loudly.

Pinkie Pie hopped out of the space in-between the pages of one of Twilight's books, in the usual way, and said, "I wonder if Princess Celestia would let me borrow him so he could make some more of that uberdelicious sugar!"

Her friends looked at her, some with acceptance, some with confusion. "What, that sugar was really, really good." The Pink mare said after a second.

Twilight sighed, "I guess Equestria will just have to get along without the elements of harmony from now on."

"Ah thought Sugar Hoof was gonna help defend Equestria, with the elements inside of him an' all." Said Applejack.

"That's assuming he keeps his word, darling." Replied Rarity, moving closer to Applejack.

"He wasn't lyin' when he said he'd defend Equestria." Applejack said before adding on, "And he did come back to Appleloosa to make things right."

"Yes, resurrection magic, another impossibility." Twilight said, slamming her face into the same book again.

"How's your cousin doing, Applejack." Fluttershy asked softly.

Applejack let out a sigh with a mix of annoyance and relief, "Trust me, you don't wanna know."

"Let me guess, they've all grown thirty-eight heads and have begun flying around town? Nothing would shock me at this point!" Twilight said, groaning again.

"No, they're ... happy." Everyone looked at Applejack, except for Pinkie Pie who still wanted more sugar.

"Well yes, I'd imagine they would be happy, having come back from the dead and all." Rarity said, throwing her mane in order to increase her physical beauty.

"Not like that ... Ah corn, how do I put it..." Applejack pushed her hat further onto her head with a hoof as she thought. "Have ya'll seen Lyra 'round town?" None had.

"She just seems happier, in general." Applejack said.

"Like, so happy that she walks into danger without caring?" Twilight asked.

"So happy that she's unable to show any other kind of emotion?" Fluttershy asked as well.

"So happy that she'll never want to go to another one of my parties ever again because they seem sad in comparion?!" Pinkie Pie shouted, looking ready to pull out her mane.

"No, they ... they're able to process their emotions proper. And they know what is and isn't safe to do ... the ponies Sugar Hoof brought back to life just seem like their happier now." Applejack said, finally.

"Even if it seems okay now, we should still let Princess Celestia know about it," She looked over to the stairs where Spike was picking up one of the many books that had been thrown around. "Spike, take a letter." Twilight said, causing Spike to pull out parchment and quill from nowhere.


A grey-furred pegasus stallion entered my room, Gilded Spear was his name. He wore the golden armor of the royal guard, but it was clear his set was a bit too big on him. His armor made noise constantly, causing the other guards to belittle him.

I shook my head, trying to get harmony to stop telling me things about these ponies' lives.

"You're Sugar Hoof?" Gilded Spear asked with uncertainty.

"Yes, and you are Gilded Spear." I said while I thought up theories about how to stop harmony from giving me information.

"Oh, did the princesses tell you about me?" He asked with an uncomfortable grin on his face.

"I wish," I said before mumbling, "I hate hearing voices bubble from my heart."

He pulled out a piece of paper and read it quickly. "Well, if the Princess says so." He began taking off his armor.

"Woah, hold on, you need that armor, what If I attacked you?" I tried to convince him to keep it on.

He stopped and mulled it over before replying, "By order of the Princess, I'm to leave my armor in here."

I scrunched up my eyes in disbelief before he walked over to me.

He dropped onto his belly gently, "Hop on," He said, as if it was the most natural thing in the world.

"You want me ... on your back?" I said slowly.

He gave a small smile, "By order of the Princess, I'm to carry you to the dining hall."

My jaw was slack in disbelief. "She wants me ... to sit on your back ... within hoof distance of your neck ..."

"Please, just get on, I'm trying really hard to impress the Princess." He said.

I looked at him slack-jawed for a minute.

"Please?" He put his two front hooves together.

"What kind of prison is this?" I said, gesturing to everything before continuing myself, "I'll tell you what kind of prison it is, not a very good one!"