• Published 1st May 2022
  • 1,995 Views, 234 Comments

Bug in a Blizzard - Paracompact



Evidence emerges of a changeling among a tight-knit group of friends. A detective and his apprentice are sent by the Royal Guard to investigate.

  • ...
2
 234
 1,995

17. What Happens Now?

“If I told you once I’ve told you like a dozen times, dude! That’s where we’ve always kept—”

Grid cut himself short, and Bluebird startled at the sound of three patient, plodding knocks on the door. Was that his mentor?

“Grid! Are you in there?” bleated a much less patient voice, one distinctly higher pitched than his mentor’s. It was Bon?

The earth pony glanced at the door, but otherwise didn’t angle his body away from the cadet, nor drop his agitated glare. He sucked in a breath, then spoke up:

“Yeah, what of it?”

“Something’s developed in the case,” a deeper voice replied. Pesco and Bon? “May we come in?”

Bluebird could only shift uncomfortably in his seat on the bed. He had no more clue than Grid why his mentor was here.

The earth pony cracked his neck and rose from his desk chair. “Sure.”

He cut a line to the entrance, flipped the lock, and opened the door to greet the two visitors. “Bon, Pesco. What’s up?” he said. He stepped aside and gestured to the cadet. “Me and Little Guns were just having a little chat.”

Bon’s eyes darted between Grid and his closet, while his mentor followed Grid’s cue and looked at the cadet.

“Is that so?” Pesco inquired.

“Oh, yeah, ahah. I was just, you know, doing like I said, coming back to Grid’s room to search it. Just got sidetracked by a little conversation is all!”

“Search my what…?” Grid murmured.

“Have you—” Bon leaned forward too quickly and bumped his antlers on the doorframe. He realigned himself, and then continued, barely above a whisper: “Have you… checked the closet yet?”

“Nope, was just about to get on that!” Bluebird sprang up from the bed onto his fours and trotted over to the closet door. “Best place to start, if maybe a little too obvious, eh?”

His mentor mumbled an agreement, his gaze focused nowhere in particular, a bored look about him. He ambled over to join his cadet. “Let’s see what all we find.”

“I guess this is what we’re doing now?” Grid said.

As he slid open the mirrored doors of the closet, Bluebird turned back to offer a reassuring smile to the young earth pony. “Don’t worry about it, Grid. This is just a precaution we’re taking, with everyone at the villa. I guess we’re looking for a bunch of coats and granola bars, or maybe a super secret book? Ahah.”

He gave a playful nudge to his mentor, who was already crouched down and rummaging through the bottom of a chest of drawers. Meanwhile, the young master hovered over his shoulder, surveilling his work intently.

“Um, Bon?” Bluebird started. “I’m thinking Grid might feel a little more comfortable if you left it to us to—”

Bon gasped and drew a step backward. Pesco, for his part, had ceased his rummaging, and now stared into the drawer with a frown on his face.

“Found it quickly, now didn’t we,” he remarked.

He brought himself to a stand, but not before lifting in his foreleg his peculiar finding from within the drawer: a jagged, spider-shaped piece of folded sheet metal with a long rope attached at one end to its center. The rope coiled to the floor as he presented his discovery to everyone in the room.

“The buck is that thing,” Grid said bitterly.

“Um, it looks like a grappling hook?” Bluebird said.

He looked to his mentor for confirmation, who returned a sage nod before tossing the thing aside onto the bed. “That’s its appearance all right.”

Something else caught Pesco’s eye within the drawer.

“Hm, but wait, there’s more,” he said. “Convenient.”

For his next trick, he reached back down into the drawer, then held up and dangled for the audience the next absurdity: A thick iron prybar. Despite its extensive wear, this one was recognizable as an actual tool, and not something jury-rigged together from scrap metal. It soon joined its place on the bed next to the grappling hook.

“That’s… that’s bizarre, to be sure, but what’s it doing here?” Bluebird asked.

Genuinely, innocently confused, Bluebird bounced his gaze between his mentor and the accused. The former yielded no information with his stoic glare, while the latter… Bluebird understood from the M’s on his forehead and the pursed lips that Grid was on the verge of saying something he might regret if asked the wrong question.

It was Bon who broke the silence to voice his theory: “My sister told me that the evidence in her room, it pointed toward the changeling having broken in through her window. Grid, or whomever we’re speaking to… are these the tools you used to accomplish that?”

It was the wrong question.

“The tools I used to what!?” He snapped a hoof at the metal spider. “I’ve never seen that thing before in my life! What even is that?”

“It’s like the detective and the cadet said, Grid,” Bon explained, with an unusual calmness, “it’s a grappling hook. And well, it would seem we’re not the only ones who saw you with it. There’s been an anonymous tip.”

“An anonymous tip?” Bluebird asked.

“Not so anonymous,” Pesco said. “Long story short, I received a communication from the changeling. Tattling on Grid was their message—or at least, their original message.”

“Can somebody explain, like, a single hay-fed thing that’s going on?” Grid demanded.

The cadet was thinking the same thing. Bon ignored Grid’s booming voice and cut back to Pesco:

“Now what precisely is that long story, Detective?” he pried. “You’ve told me it’s from the changeling several times now, but frankly, the only evidence I’ve seen indicates something quite to the contrary.”

“It’s not important,” Pesco stonewalled. He turned to Bluebird and twitched the corner of his lips in Bon’s direction. The cadet knew to recognize this as a call for backup in the conversation, but he had to admit… it sure sounded important.

A petulant spark flared in Bon’s eyes—Bluebird wasn’t given the time to think his mentor’s order over, anyway.

A flash of light blinded the room as Bon made a play with his telekinesis to yoink something from within the detective’s trench coat. A ream of blank paper spilled out onto the floor from inside the coat, and in the chaos Bon pranced into the far corner of the bedroom.

“D-dude!”

Bluebird’s reflexes had him tackling the young thieving master to the ground before he could think twice about it. The next thing he knew, he was listening to the whimpers and groans of the flattened deer beneath him as they both lay staring at the pilfered evidence.

It was… a note?

WHAT HAPPENS IF I COME ALONG PEACEFULLY?

Bluebird felt he understood why Bon had acted the way he did, now. He couldn’t say the same for his mentor.

He dismounted the young buck and helped him to his four hooves. Bon stumbled and swayed as he stood, still reeling from the takedown onto the bedroom’s hardwood paneling. His attention was divided between the contents of the note and Grid as his gaze swam back and forth between the two. His brow tightened as he tried to fight back a wince.

“What was that all about, dude?” Grid took an uncertain, confronting/comforting step forward. Pesco remained riveted in place, critically unamused.

Bluebird wasn’t feeling very amused, either. “Pesco,” he began softly, “is this… what it looks like?”

“Depends,” Pesco said. “I don’t know what it looks like to you.”

With a hopeful tremor: “Well, it looks like the best-case scenario, doesn’t it? Our work is done here, as soon as the changeling turns himself in?”

“Yes, it would be,” he said. “But, he hasn’t. So, it isn’t.”

“Ahah, well he’s offering to, isn’t he? He’s only asking because he doesn’t know what will happen if he does! I guess he just wants to be sure we’ll take it easy on him?”

“So we read the same thing: The changeling’s compliance is contingent on a plea deal.” Pesco shook his head. “Bluebird, that’s called negotiation. You know as well as I do that process is best handled at the station behind reinforced glass, only after the arrest is made. Besides, we have no authority to cut deals even if we wanted to.”

The cadet knew better than to contradict his mentor at length in front of potential suspects, but he didn’t care. “Come on, don’t you think this is a bit of a unique circumstance? We’ve never had to deal with something like this.”

“Exactly. So tell me, what in good faith can you promise the changeling if they give themself up? Remember, we’ve never dealt with something like this. Or do you intend to lie to them, just to reel them in? Honestly, Bluebird, that’s just cruel.”

What had gotten into him? It was like his mentor had been replaced by a changeling.

They each took a moment to cool down. For as heated as the conversation was making Bluebird, for as passionately as he believed in doing the right thing, he could sense his mentor was struggling with emotions that were just as strong. Bluebird had only a hint of what they were.

Pesco knelt to collect the blank papers strewn about his hooves. “‘Come along peacefully’ is distorting the facts, anyway. Are you forgetting about when the changeling attacked you?”

Neither of them had cooled down very much. “No, of course not. But that was just self-defense! Just a little roughhousing, ahah! My wing’s already feeling better.”

“You can offer the perp your legal counsel if you want, for whatever you think it’s worth. I consider our partnership an equal one, so I won’t stop you.” He stood back up, and walked over to snatch the note back from Bon. “But know that the real takeaway of this note lies beneath the scratched-out message: The changeling’s original plan was to frame Grid, before they decided that begging for mercy was more likely to fool us. Frankly, this whole discovery stinks of a frame job even without the note.”

“Y-yeah!” Grid stammered. Bluebird had almost forgotten the other two in the room.

“Ooonnn the contrary,” Bon followed, in a strange tone of voice, “… I think that remains to be seen, Detective. It’s still perfectly possible Grid is the changeling, isn’t it?”

Grid blinked, and leaned a few inches back from his friend.

“Oh?” Pesco taunted. “You were so eager to defend him last night.”

“Why, why, I’m only following the facts as they present themselves!” he protested. “We found a grappling hook and prybar in his closet, Detective, does that not count for anything? And… while I cannot fathom why the changeling as Grid would have thought to leave an anonymous tip about himself, surely… surely the very bizarreness of the maneuver could be the intention! To get himself cleared!”

Bluebird clocked a smirk on his mentor’s lips. “All I mean to say,” Pesco said slowly, “is I think this whole act reduces Grid’s probability greatly.”

Bon’s face twisted in on itself, cringing as though he had just bit into a lemon. It seemed that everyone in the room remembered: Zorn had already lost this same argument last night.

“Okay, fine,” Bon pivoted, “perhaps the note was written by someone who found out about the changeling—Grid—and this matter with the tools in the closet. Somehow. And, they wanted to report it anonymously. But then, for whatever reason, they started to feel sympathetic for the changeling, and so scribbled out the original message and wrote this new one. There.”

Bon struck a pose a bit like a math professor finishing a proof on the chalkboard.

“Truly, that sounds like Girard’s operating level of shyness, if I had to speculate.”

“Bon, just think about it,” Pesco said wearily, “why would a changeling need a grappling hook to reach Blanche’s bedroom window? They have wings of their own. They have the wings of any species in Equestria, in fact. And just look at the tool’s poor construction—it’s even the same sheet metal as on the lockpick. The changeling is up to its old tricks.”

Grid finally found the timing for an outburst. “And how about the fact I’m too bucking stupid to do any of the things I’m being accused of!” He tried to rub the skin off the bridge of his muzzle. “Honestly, I feel like I’ve been losing my mind the past twenty-four hours. That thing with the kitchen makes no sense, I’m forgetting to lock my bedroom door, and now this thing with the protein powder… and apparently, there’s just straight-up ninja gear in my closet!?”

Pesco’s expression skewed at Grid’s latest remarks. His expression skewed again, and then he walked across the room to Grid’s bedroom door. The cadet at first thought his mentor was simply walking out on the entire conversation (he looked about ready to), but soon saw he was checking the very same thing the cadet had checked earlier—Grid’s door lock.

The three watched the detective at work. He opened the door and went through the same simple motions the cadet had, at first: He flicked the locking knob, observing as the deadbolt sprang in and out of its housing. He appeared content to conclude as the cadet had that this particular component was functioning properly.

Next, he shut the door. He flicked the locking knob, then pulled on the door handle. After a slight budge, the door opened—somehow, the deadbolt had failed to engage.

Further diagnostics. He had another scrutinizing look at the deadbolt, the locking knob, and the latch in turn, before turning his attention to the doorjamb, or more precisely, the hole in the strike plate into which the deadbolt was supposed to enter. He leaned over and squinted, before running his hoof over it. A small ripping sound could be heard as he did so. Finally, Pesco stood back up, walking back to the three with his hoof extended.

“Reasonably sure I learned this one while I was still a delinquent,” he said. “The changeling thinks they’re a lot smarter than they really are, and that we’re a lot dumber: It was insulting enough that they thought we wouldn’t get the picture if they’d just left the prybar, but now they think they can get away with this?”

The cadet cocked his head, feeling a little dense. But, the change of angle as he did so had the light catch it just right: Bluebird made out on the end of Pesco’s outstretched hoof a scrap of transparent tape. It appeared the mystery of the malfunctioning door lock boiled down to a simple piece of plastic blocking the bolt from engaging.

Pesco continued, “That they have to resort to tricks like this proves that you were right last night, Bon, when you conjectured that the changeling can’t pick locks. But this proves just as well that you’re wrong tonight. Grid is almost certainly the victim of a frame job—and a poor one at that.”

The young deer had been staring down at his hooves for a while now. “I understand. I grant that yours may well be the more likely theory, in the end.”

Bon lifted his head, and slowly turned to face his earth pony friend. Grid’s expression still bore the marks of the slew of accusations hurled at him these last few minutes, not the least of which were from Bon himself. And yet, all that frustration evaporated once he saw the dampness in his accuser’s eyes.

“But, hypothetically, assuming the detective is mistaken, somehow,” Bon continued, his voice hitching. He trailed off.

“Yeah?” Grid said.

Bon swallowed. “If you really are the changeling, well, I should just like to say that as long as the real Grid is still out there, alive and well, then… all would be forgiven as soon as you return him. That’s all.”

“I… dude, I wish I knew what I could even—”

Bon didn’t give him the time to offer much of a response. Bon had said his piece: He turned on the spot to leave, sniffling as he went. He crossed the room, gripped the door with his telekinesis, and opened it just wide enough to slink away…

He saw fit to turn around one last time. The cadet expected him to offer one last glance or parting word either to Grid or to the Detective, but he did neither. Instead, he only gave the grappling hook on the bed a long, contemplative look.

And then, without a further word, he departed.

“I think we’re done here,” Pesco declared, with an eye to his cadet.

Were they? Now was as awkward a time as any, he figured. Bluebird sighed and gave a halfhearted “all right.”

Pesco claimed the prybar and the grappling hook as evidence, slinging the latter over his shoulder as he led the way to the door. Bluebird followed in his mentor’s wake, for lack of any better guide in this mess.

The cadet looked back over his shoulder. Grid was standing like somepony in front of a burned-down building.

“Hey, Grid?”

The earth pony (?) met his gaze.

“Just wanted to say, sorry for the misunderstanding… and, ahah, if it wasn’t a misunderstanding? Well, in that case…”

Bluebird recalled the changeling’s words, just before he was attacked (“attacked”) by the changeling.

“… no hard feelings over my wing. Okay?”