• Published 1st May 2022
  • 1,994 Views, 234 Comments

Bug in a Blizzard - Paracompact



Evidence emerges of a changeling among a tight-knit group of friends. A detective and his apprentice are sent by the Royal Guard to investigate.

  • ...
2
 234
 1,994

8. Moonroom

“Hey Pesco, found another mention of Kralle-whatever over here,” Bluebird spoke up, thumping the book in his hooves—A Modern Vexillological Companion.

His mentor set his own book down and trotted eagerly across the library to examine Bluebird’s finding. “Details?”

“Nothing much more than the last… foooouur,” Bluebird replied, unable to stifle a yawn. Over the last couple of hours spent scouring the library, the gently hissing steam of the nearby boiler room had almost lulled him to sleep more than once. “Just some book on flags. But look, I found an entry for Gloria’s home turf here. It shows their flag, which I guess looks like the one you found in the first book. And it mentions a King Grayson, who took the throne after a civil war. And there, a spot on the Griffonstone map for their territory. Would you say the borders line up with what you found in the second book?”

Pesco put both his hooves on the table as he analyzed the entry’s sparse contents. “Yes, to a tee,” he agreed, with a sigh. “Moreover, the date of the flag’s introduction aligns with the data we gleaned from On The Creation of Nations.”

“Well, you think this just about settles it?”

“We can no longer deny it: The Duchy of Kralle-Karom is no mere fiction,” Pesco admitted. “But isn't that convenient, that she hails from so obscure and remote a province as this…”

Right after their meeting in the foyer had adjourned, Bluebird’s mentor had taken Bluebird aside and wasted no time explaining Gloria’s ploy in smuggling a book past him and out of the library, after Pesco had accidentally snuck up on her. He had recounted the story to Bluebird in such exacting detail, with such dramatic emphasis on his words (that is, even more than his usual), that it was obvious to Bluebird that the success of Gloria’s improvised deception had dealt a serious blow to his mentor’s pride.

And if Bluebird had to come up with a single chink in his mentor’s armor, it would be his pride. Although a bruised ego certainly motivated Pesco, Bluebird merely worried whenever it gave rise to paranoia and tunnel vision.

“I’ll grant that she’s certainly not all tea and crumpets,” Bluebird said, “but do you actually think she’s lying about being a princess for… some reason?”

“No, I don’t think I would go that far with it.” Pesco cocked his head and explained, “First, we know she’s not the changeling—she was physically with us when the changeling attacked. Second, we know that others have attested to seeing her family on occasion. Or at least, Grid has. I’ll have to pry more about that…” His mentor trailed off into thought, before resuming, “Nonetheless, both these facts combined have a natural conclusion: The Gloria in this villa is griffon royalty. That said, I only wonder if there isn’t anything about her past that Gloria wouldn’t like us poking at, or risk Girard blabbing about.”

“Then why don’t we just go talk to Girard already? It sounds like the griffon himself is all for it.” Thinking to tempt (or at least amuse) his mentor, Bluebird added, “And besides, if Gloria isn’t keen on the idea, then maybe we should be!”

“Knowing her, it could’ve been a feint and she wants to waste our time. We can confront her and her cousin later tonight, once we have our own ducks in a row.”

Waste our time? We’ve already spent over an hour in this library getting just one of our ducks in a row! … Wait, is that alfredo sauce I smell?

“And so,” Pesco continued, “I would like to hit her where it hurts: Find where she stashed that book of hers. It won’t be easy, but I’m confident she ditched it somewhere between the library and the foyer. So, I’ll search from one end of the hallway and the adjoining rooms, while you—”

“Yeah yeah, you go right ahead,” Bluebird interrupted. The heavenly aroma of something savory had wafted into the library, and the cadet was helpless to resist after a full day's work. “I think we’ll both catch a lot more ducks or whatever on a full stomach. I’ll be sure to bring you back something good!”

Bluebird only waited for the first half of his mentor's permission before he ducked out of the library and in the direction of the kitchen.

Is it Grid making another meal for himself? The colt wasn’t kidding about his metabolism … I could take the time to more thoroughly interview him in the meantime, especially after all that business Gloria brought up … Huh, this smells way better than your average health food … and way stronger, the kitchen is still pretty far—

Bluebird’s brain corrected his nostrils: They were not heading toward the kitchen. His nose had taken him the complete opposite way, deeper into an unfamiliar part of the mansion. Whatever it was and why it was there, this scent came from a room that was now just up ahead. The glass doors to the room were open, and a magical aura sparkled faintly from within. Bluebird could recognize the sibilance of a hushed conversation taking place. He sidled up closer to the door in order to make out the words.

“Now, we may not always get along,” the slightly deeper of the two voices said in a dulcet tone, “but I think I can recognize the signs when I ought to act on my duties as your brother and have a little heart-to-heart with you. Whether you like it or not.”

“You sure you’re not just drunk?” the other voice mocked. But even on these few words, its wavering and cracking were evident.

“Quite possibly. But I think you know by now I’m a very high-functioning alcoholic. Go ahead, try your meal. I think you’ll agree the farinata is my best yet.”

After a moment, a soft yet crispy crunch followed. Bluebird didn’t know how, but he swore his ears could taste how good it was.

“… Damn you’re drunk. You’re drunk, and you’re right.”

Précisément. Now, my antlers are getting tired, so I’m going to go take these plates on over to Zorn and the griffons. Don’t you go anywhere, sis—I’ll be right back,” Bon promised. “I’ll grab you one of your favorite gelatos, on the way.”

“To think just a moment ago you were chomping at the bit to cook for our two guests. What ever happened to showing off for them, huh?”

Oh!

“The detective and his tagalong can wait. You take priority, sis.”

Blast it.

Hoofsteps started, and Bon’s magic glowed more brightly as he approached the door. Bluebird didn’t want to be caught snooping; he quietly took to the air (his left wing throbbed only slightly) and darted beyond a nearby corner. Bon exited the room carrying two platters in his telekinesis and proceeded down the opposite end of the hallway.

“… a little something in mind for Grid later tonight anyway, bien sûr…” he heard Bon whisper excitedly to himself as he went. The light from his antlers receded into the distance.

Bluebird considered his options. On the one hoof, he considered it rude to have eavesdropped for as long as he had. But on the other hoof, the “tagalong” thought… in for a penny, in for a pound! He might as well wait for Bon to return and hear the rest, for lack of any other leads.

Once assured that he was in the clear, Bluebird flew back to the doorway and peered inside. It appeared to be a sunroom of sorts, or perhaps at this late hour, a moonroom: The bay windows on three walls opened to a panorama of the labyrinthine peaks of the Crystal Mountains all around, while the glass dome in the ceiling bathed the room in moonlight. Blanche lay kneeling in the center before a low table. At this table, she neither attended to her writing nor her meal, but instead gazed skyward, transfixed by the snow-flurried stars above.

Bluebird, too, felt hypnotized by the beautiful scene. It was only the sound of familiar hoofsteps down the hall that finally snapped him back to reality, and he ducked back around his corner for cover. Bon approached the door, this time carrying only a cup of something yellowish-orange in his magic.

“Your gelato, as promised.”

“Ehh… thank you.”

Bluebird heard Bon take a seat beside his sister. “Hm, was Girard mistaken?”

“How do you mean?”

“He told me a while back that mango was your favorite flavor.”

“Figures. No, not really.” She heckled, “What a mediocre fruit.”

“Haha, well we are twins—I knew I ought to have gone with my own tastes. Let me guess: buttercream?”

“Much better.”

“I’ll gladly take partial credit.”

“I’ll admit Girard’s wasn’t a bad guess, either,” she conceded. “I believe I made it Crestfallen’s favorite.”

“Who?”

“Deuteragonist from I Want to Die Fighting the Hero.”

“Ah, one of your story characters. That one was a couple years ago, was it not? I… still need to get around to reading that one.”

Bluebird heard a rustling sound as she shifted in place. “Don’t feel obligated.”

“It’s only partly obligation. I want to learn more about my sister.”

“That’s very magnanimous of you.”

“Hm.” Bon took a moment as if to examine or appraise something. “That’s your sarcasm, isn’t it? I know what that word means.”

Bluebird didn’t.

“For what it’s worth,” Bon continued, “I think Father is the only person in the world who wouldn’t pick you over me.”

It should have been hard to tell what Blanche was thinking, without seeing her face or hearing any sort of response. The cadet couldn’t shake the mental image of an elastic cord being pulled too tight.

“Have you a copy of Hero here at the villa?” Bon pressed. “Perhaps I could read it tonight, or even right now if you fancy—”

The cord snapped. “Bon honestly, not all of us will wither up and die without constant attention! I’m your twin, not your clone.”

A pause, and more shifting. Bluebird wasn’t sure from whom.

“… I’m sorry, that was crude of me,” she said. “If you want to learn more about me through my writing, read my earlier works. I don’t think there’s any part of me in the stories I write these days—no good parts, anyway.”

Blanche seemed to be guiding the conversation to some focal point she had in mind. Bon picked up on it: “And why not?”

“And why?” she inverted. The cord was stretching again. “Your audience can’t tell the difference between your heart and a cardboard cutout, so why bother? In fact, they prefer the bloody cardboard—my books have only been received all the better once I made the substitution.”

“The unrefined tastes of the masses can be cruel,” Bon sympathized. “But I should think the pertinent question is, do you prefer the cardboard?”

“To say nothing else about it, it’s certainly the easier material to work with.”

“Do you mean from an emotional or technical point of view?”

“Yes.”

“Well fair enough!”

Bluebird heard both the siblings chuckle, followed by a lull in the conversation. Scrapes and dings of silverware on plates led him to believe that they were now taking the time to enjoy their meals.

Eventually, Bon rekindled the conversation. “I imagine the things you have in mind run a little deeper than mango versus buttercream… Don’t you think we would enjoy seeing a little more of your heart, from time to time?”

“Have you ever seen a real, freshly removed heart, Bon?” Blanche asked in return, rather obliquely. “To the untrained eye, that big strange blob of muscle looks nothing like the colorful cutaway diagrams in the textbooks. The former will be impenetrable to you unless you already perfectly understand it, while the latter is a fiction, but a highly instructive one.”

“I’m afraid I don’t follow.”

“What I’m saying is, cardboard is great. Not only is it cheaper, but if you want to tell the truth with it, it’s simply the better option for that, too.” She clarified by way of example, “Let’s say Jane Doe is a fawn in grade school. She’s a straight-A student, but she slips up and gets a D on her latest test. Her overall grade drops to a B. Oh well. But on that day of all days, just by chance, her parents ask her over dinner how her test went.”

“Oh dear.”

“Oh dear indeed. It would be a prideful lie to say she got an A, certainly, but to say she got a D might also give the wrong impression—Jane doesn’t feel the test was an accurate reflection of her academic abilities, and isn’t her parents’ question just a proxy for that? Parents don’t ask, ‘What is your standing GPA, dear?’ They ask, only once in a blue moon, ‘How did your test go today?’ And so, ultimately Jane feels honest enough saying she got a B.”

“Hm, I think I see where you’re coming from,” Bon said. “But what’s wrong with telling the unedited truth? That she flunked the latest test, but that she’s aced every other so far?”

“For one thing, it’s the same edit: It’s inserting an answer to a question they didn’t ask,” Blanche contested. “And for another, her parents might simply not believe her on the second part—or at the least, it could sow a seed of doubt in their minds. Why should Jane risk giving anyone that headache?”

Once again, silence reigned. This silence having followed a direct question from Blanche, Bluebird had to assume Bon was not dropping the subject, but instead thinking over his answer very carefully.

Finally, he spoke up. “Because otherwise, she risks her parents finding out on their own. And then, it is truly anyone’s guess what they’ll think and who they’ll believe.”

Bon met no counterargument from Blanche.

“Sis,” he continued, “I should like to know what the detective must have found in your bedroom.”

A fork dropped, clanging off of ceramic. “Hrmph… My brother, the high-functioning drunk!”

“The one and only. But I should think even a regular drunk could’ve seen the difference in your face, before and after I left to get my lockpicking tools.”

“Well, very well. I’ll tell you the unedited truth. But I can’t start from there—first, I have to answer a question you didn’t ask.”

“Oh?”

“I’ve been writing a new book. Changeling Ringing. It’s… it’s a book about changelings. Obviously.” Blanche cleared her throat. “Now I know what you might think, given that I alone found the wing fragment in my room. That this is all some sick fantasy I’m living out, or some stupid ploy to market my book with a headline, or that I have some backroom deal with changelings gone wrong, or that I’m the damned changeling. I don’t want the headache of explaining why that’s all nonsense and that I’m just as in the dark about it as the rest of you.”

“It’s… it’s all right, sis,” Bon said, awkwardly but genuinely. “I wasn’t thinking that at all. I don’t think any of us would.”

Blanche sighed. “I know, I’m sorry. It’s not fair of me to assume my twin brother or my friends could misinterpret me as chronically as my readers have.” She continued, “But now the detective has every justified reason to believe such rubbish, frankly, after what he found in my room.”

At this point, Blanche elaborated to her brother the details of Pesco’s inspection of her room, that of the toolmarks on her pried-open window, as well as the unique material of the parchment the wing fragment was found on. This all was new information to Bluebird; it seemed his mentor had been so laser focused on Gloria that he had forgotten to fill his partner in on these recent clues.

“And the detective didn’t bring up any of it during the meeting!” Blanche vented. “I only imagine he’s convinced of my guilt by this point. It would explain why he took little interest in either Zorn or Grid as suspects. If he’s not ready to ring me up on false testimony charges, he’s planning to cuff me and cart me off to the Royal Guard for some brutes to poke and prod at me for who knows how long. God, the anxiety of it all, I can see where Zorn was coming from…”

Bon dared to laugh. “Ha, the detective doesn’t strike me as such a fool! I do genuinely believe you have little to worry about, my dearly dramatic sister.”

“… Are you so sure?” she asked, in a hopeful tone. “Hysteria doesn’t suit me, but I would be happy if that’s all it is.”

“Absolutely. Ma sœur, trust that the detective has thought it through logically: If our villa is teleproofed to perfection, and if you always lock your bedroom door, and if the changeling is demonstrably unable to pick locks, then how do you think they got into your room in the first place?”

Silence. “That’s… that’s a very good point, Bon. The window is the only answer.”

“Exactly. It’s no evidence at all that you used your window to sneak in after the changeling attack, or anything so preposterous.”

Bon did something that made Blanche snort.

“And this matter of the parchment,” he continued, “you said it’s not yours, so what connection could it have with you?”

“None at all, in the end—or nothing credible, at least. Just my paranoia, surely, which I’ve shown I have in abundance.”

“You’ve indulged me in your paranoias thus far. Why not this one?”

“You’ve got me there,” she admitted. “It’s just, well, I’ve been turning it over in my head, that parchment. How it felt, how it looked… And, hm, I scarcely use this material myself since it’s a notoriously dreadful texture for writing, but I’m suspicious it may be made from willow pulp.”

“Willow pulp? And what would be so suspicious about that?”

“Nothing per se. But I just wonder if it doesn’t mean to reference a certain—”

Heavy, plodding hoofsteps echoed from further down the hall. Bon and Blanche cut their conversation short as they, along with Bluebird, anticipated who might be arriving. Bluebird was the first to observe that it was none other than his mentor, who rounded the corner, stopped, and glared curiously at his eavesdropping partner. Bluebird had been gone for a while now, and he could only assume Pesco had left to check up on him.

Bluebird heard hoofsteps from inside the sunroom, too, as Bon and Blanche no doubt wanted to investigate the noise.

Once again, Bluebird didn’t want to be caught snooping; he flew on over to his mentor’s side and assumed a natural position just as the twins exited and spotted the two of them. Blanche held the farinata in her magical grasp.

“Ooh, is that cornbread?” Bluebird inquired dumbly. “We knew we smelled something good. You never told me you were a bona fide chef on top of everything else, Bon!”

Bluebird hoped that his mentor would understand and roll with it. And of course, Pesco did not disappoint, smirking as he said, “And how do you know Bon made that? I would call that an unfounded assumption, Bluebird.”

The cadet slapped his forehead. “This is why they pay you the big bits… or at least, why they should! Ahah.”