• Published 1st May 2022
  • 1,993 Views, 234 Comments

Bug in a Blizzard - Paracompact



Evidence emerges of a changeling among a tight-knit group of friends. A detective and his apprentice are sent by the Royal Guard to investigate.

  • ...
2
 234
 1,993

25. Epilogue

Sometime, weeks or months later—after I would personally see to it that Gloria be incarcerated at the closest thing the Equestrian juvenile detention system had to a supermax—I would be sitting at my desk late one night, staring at the ceiling, pondering the life that Scolus had lived and lost. If I could stare through that ceiling, I would be counting the stars in the sky that had all needed to align in order to inflict such a fate as his. It wasn’t a cosmic mistake—it was too perfectly awful. It could only have been divine intervention by a god far greater than Celestia and Luna, and far more sadistic.

Belief in a sadistic god was my optimistic heresy. It was the only means I had of retaining faith in the fundamental goodness of my fellow mortals. For I knew that Scolus's fate was not wrought by the stars, but by every person he had ever trusted.


He was betrayed by an escapee, the benefactor of his mercy…

Stung by a colleague and exiled by his own kind, who had no mercy of their own…

Perpetually abused and endangered by a malign savior…

Reported and rejected by the one he loved, and thought he understood…

Hounded until the end by the one who didn’t want to believe in him…

Lethally injected by the one who had believed in him all along…

With a poison concocted by a friend who failed to speak up.


If only one star could have been knocked out of alignment. If only he could have encountered any other creature in the world than Gloria while wandering through the wastelands, his story would have been happier. If only he could have encountered no one at all, and simply perished out there—an agonizing death by thirst and exposure under a scorching desert sun.

If nothing else, it would have all been over sooner.