• Published 18th Sep 2012
  • 1,187 Views, 15 Comments

The Misadventures of Changeling 42 - Changeling 26



Can a changeling find a place in ponyville and into a ponies heart?

  • ...
1
 15
 1,187

New Life, part 2

The first thought that came to 42’s head was to change into one of them. He focused on a pony nearby and studied everything about his appearance, placing it in the back of his mind. After focusing for several minutes, he released his magic and lit up with a green flame. He opened his eyes to see if he was successful. “Son of a…” panted 42 after seeing he still looked like a changeling. “What the hay is wrong with me, Ive never failed at changing before!”

At that moment, 42’s stomach let out a large growl. “Ah, that explains it. I haven’t fed for days, I must be running on fumes.”

His natural instinct was to find a pony and steal enough love to fill his stomach. But how does one sneak up on a pony in a village of ponies in the form of a changeling? Could he actuly bring himself to steal love from these unsuspecting ponies? After all, this may be the only place he will be able to call home. If he is caught stealing from these ponies, they may never trust him again.

The thought kept running through the changelings mind. He would come up with a solution to his problem and then eliminate it. 42 kept going in loops around his brain, almost making himself dizzy until suddenly, a loud excited voiced boomed behind him.

“HI!” The voice exclaimed, making 42 jump 3 hooves in the air. He turned around rapidly in a half scared, half attack pose.

“Who are you?!” Hissed 42 “What do you want with me?!”

42 was staring into two bright blue eyes on pale green skin. He backed away and saw the pony before him with more detail. Her mane was white with faint pink streaks, poking in-between locks of her mane was a small thin horn.

“I saw you hiding in the bushes!” She said with a moderately high pitched voice “I thought you were playing hide n go seek! And I found you!!”

She bounced a step back from the changeling who had a very confused look upon his face. She gave him a happy giggle as she saw how confused he was.

“Y-yes…” 42 chuckled weakly “yes you did.”

“I know! Isnt it great?!” The unicorn mare said with a bounce “Im Minty Fresh!! What’s your name?!”

“Uhh… “ The changeling stumbled over his words. He had never been asked by a pony for his name before. “Im… 26… Changeling 26.”

“26? That’s not a proper name!” Minty got close to 42’s face, examining his every feature. Shee looked deep into his eyes, flicked at his battered ears, and examined his jaws before finaly standing back and saying “Orange!’

“What?” asked the changeling confused.

“Orange!” Minty Fresh said satisfied “Orange Mist! That’s your name!”

“oh… well… thanks?” Asked the changeling even more confused. He had never had an actual name before. He never needed on. Changelings had numerical identities in the hive, It was more efficient to track a number then a name. The thought that this pony had given him a name stirred something inside him. He felt something warm, something nice towards this unicorn. 42 could give this feeling a name, but he liked it anyways.

“Your welcome!” Grinned Minty “so what are you doing here in Ponyville anyways? Cause I know that you wern’t really playing hide and go seek.”

“Well” said 42 “I was sort of banished from my hive. “

Minty gave a sad look to 42 “Oh, im sorry. That’s terrible!”

“Yeah, can I ask you a question, Minty?”

“Yeah sure” she replied with a slightly worried look

The changeling sat down in front of the unicorn “Why are you not frightened of me?”

Minty cocked her head sideways and gave him a funny look. “Frightened? Why would I be frightened of you?”

“I’m a changeling! I’m a monster!! I steal love and take the form of other ponies!! Why wouldn’t you fear me?!?” Screamed 42, throwing his hooves in the air.

Minty gave him a frown “Orange Mist!! You are not a monster!!! You are a changeling, and you wouldn’t steal it if you didn’t already have it! So I assume you don’t need to steal any of it now!”

“What? What do you mean I won’t have to steal it now?” 42 asked, very confused on the pony’s reaction.

“Orange… you are my friend now! I’ve been giving you love this whole time!”

So that was what that feeling was. It was his stomach being filled enough to be content.

“Minty, im not sure what to say…” he said shocked, why would pony just give him love without even knowing him? “Thank you…”

“You don’t need to thank me! You’re my friend, it’s what friends do.” She said, walking over and placing a hoof on the changelings black shoulder “Now as for you changing into different forms, I think it would be best if you made your own.”

“What? You want me to make up a new pony?” 42 stood up in shock. That would be impossible. He always needed to see an existing pony, to study its every detail to take their form.

“Yes, I know you can.” Minty Fresh walked up to 42 and got close to his face “Just close your eyes”

The Changeling listened “I’m honestly not sure this will work?”

“Hush.” She said putting a hoof on his mouth “focus. You need to breath, open your mind. Think only about yourself.”

Her voice became softer and smoother with each word the unicorn said. Minty’s voices seemed to echo gentle in his head, all his worries began to fade away.

“Now” She sighed into his ear “Change.”

On her command, 42 released all the energy he had stored up and allowed his green magic flame to engulf his whole body. Minty backed away, and the flames began to clear.

“Orange…” She said “Open your eyes!”

He slowly opened his eyes and the first thin he notices was a single lock of brown hair in his right eye. He brushed it away and noticed his new orange hooves, free from any holes. There wasn’t a single hole or spot on his body. His mane was short brown hair, with a horn pushing out of his head. Marking his flank was a metal plate and a spoon as his brand new cutie mark.

“Minty, this is incredible!!” he smiled, running over and giving the unicorn an awkward hug. “I cant believe this! Im a pony, my very own pony self!!”

“Yes! I know! I knew you could do it!” The two ponies began bouncing up and down in excitement. It was a rather unusual way for 42 to express his happiness, but it seemed the only way to do it in his new pony body. “But this is only a temporary form. It’s only going to last you long enough to get back to my house.”

42 stopped his bouncing and gave a slightly worried and confused look. “Your house?”

“Yeah, of course!” Minty said with another big grin “You said that you were banished, so I assumed you need somewhere to stay. I live alone in my home and I have a guest bedroom you can stay in. “

“Minty, I don’t want to be any trouble. You’ve already done so much for me. I honestly can’t ask anything more from you” Said the changeling backing up

“No! Please!” said the unicorn stepping closer to him, “I insist. I can help you out until you can get on your own four hooves.”

“No, I can’t. I just can’t” He said, trying to step away from Minty

She just gave him a big, sad look, pushing tears into her eyes. “Please?”

He stared into her teary blue eyes, part of him wanted to push her away and sleep in the woods. Another part, a new stronger part, told him that she was right, that this was the best thing that could happen to him. If he denied her request then he would regret for the rest of his life.

“Alright” He sighed “I do it, only because you are so insistent”

“YEA!!” Exclaimed the unicorn, bouncing up and down. “Come on! Let’s go, now before you lose all of your energy.”

Minty Fresh grabbed Orange Mist, aka Changeling 42, and dragged him out into the town plaza. He led him all the way to her small one story home located just down the street from Sugar Cube Corner. She took the changeling and pushed him inside and showed him to his room. It was the most comfy bed that 42 had ever been on.

As he lay in his new bed, he thought back on all of the events that had happened in the last two days. As bad as most of it was, he smiled. All he could think about was the great new friend he had made. How she had opened his eyes to possibilities, and how she welcomed him into her home. He had some form of warm, kind feelings toward the Pony. 42 were unsure what there were, but he liked them.

“I could probably get used to life here.” Sighed the pony happily as he stretched out and fell asleep.

And this is where the real story of Changeling 42’s new life begins…