• Published 18th Sep 2012
  • 1,187 Views, 15 Comments

The Misadventures of Changeling 42 - Changeling 26



Can a changeling find a place in ponyville and into a ponies heart?

  • ...
1
 15
 1,187

42, candy maker

“WAKE UP!!!” screamed an excited voice in 42’s ear “TODAYS THE DAY!!!”

The changeling groggily woke up and looked at the mare in front of him. It took him a few seconds for his eyes to adjust to the amount of color before him. Minty’s green skin and her white and pink hair seemed to almost blind his eyes. She was hoping about the guest room 42 called home using her magic to open the blinds.

“What are you talking about?” He said covering his eyes with a hoof, which was ineffective because of the holes running throughout his limbs. “Today is the day for what?”

“For your first day on the job!!” she said with a smile.

The changeling looked at Minty Fresh with a confused glare “What do you mean my job?”

“With me at the Candy shop!” exclaimed the pink pony grabbing 42’s hoof and dragging through the one story house and into the kitchen. “Don’t you remember? I told you a few days ago that you were going to work with me making sweets in my shop.”

She threw Changeling 42 into a chair and placed a bowl of oatmeal in front of him. He sniffed it cautiously and had to control his gag reflex. Changelings don’t need to eat solid food. They fed on love for nutrition and Minty Fresh was giving him plenty of that. He had enough to feed himself and the entire hive for a week. Not wanting to be impolite to his friend he grabbed the bowl and began to force the soggy, gooey food down his throat.

“I’m not sure if that is such a great idea, Minty.” Said 42 trying to ignore the food he was eating. He didn’t mind most pony food, most of it tasted fine. But this, this was the worst thing he had ever tasted. He placed the bowl down and slowly began pushing it away from himself. “I’m not much of a candy kind of pony. I can’t even properly make toast. You do remember what happened when I tried to make breakfast yesterday, right?”

Minty shuddered slightly thinking about the previous days morning. “Yes… but this time I will be there to guide and teach you the art of candy making!”

“Yeah, but..”

“Shhh…” The pony placed a hoof over the changelings mouth “I will teach you. Besides! It’s way easier than making toast!”

The removed her hoof from 42’s mouth and grabbed his home and pulled him towards the door.

“C’mon! We need to get going! We are going to be late!” Minty said as they left the house

“Minty, aren’t you going to eat breakfast as well?” asked the changeling

“NO NEED! NO TIME!! LETS GOOOOOOOO!!!” Hollered the excited unicorn leading the way down the street and to a little shop decorated with candy canes, taffy, and chocolate bars. “We’re here!”

“Nice place.” 42 said as he looked at the rows and rows of candy sitting on trays behind the counter.

“Thanks, now the first thing we need to do is to fire up the machines!” explained Minty as her horn illuminated and three large machines coughed and wheezed to life. The changeling walked over to the machine trying figure out how it worked and what it did.

“What is it, Minty?” he asked

She gave the machine a sturdy pat before saying “This here what I like to call ‘The Super Duper Candy Pooper’! She can produced twenty to thirty candy canes and minty treats per second”

She stood there smiling proudly at 42. “Alright, what do we actually do?”

“We load the ingredients into that opening.” She pointed at an opening at the top of the tall machine in front of them “And then the candy comes out here.” Minty then pointed to a conveyer belt.

“I see…” the changeling said

“So why don’t you go back into that closet and get the bag with the green stripes and pour it into the machine while I start to open up the shop!” She pointed to a nearby closet and then walked off to the front of the store, leaving 42 alone to do his new job.

“Alright, 42. This is a simple job. Just empty the bag with green stripes into the Pooper.” The changeling reassured himself as he walked over to the closet. He opened the door and let out a frustrated sigh. Every bag, every single bag had green stripes.

“OK, it seems simple enough. Clearly I just need to take any one of these bags and put it in the Super Duper Candy Pooper.” He picked up a nearby bag, ripped it open with his fangs and hovered up to the Pooper’s opening. He shook the whole bag in and listened to it rev up. 42 landed in front of the conveyer belt at the same time Minty returned to check on his progress

“All done?” she asked

“Yep” grinned the changeling with a tooth grin “That was was easier then I though it was!”

“Good” Minty picked up one of the candy canes, “Now all we have to do it is test out the treats!”

Minty stuck the candy cane in her mouth, sucked on it for a few seconds, and then spat it out. She rushed over to a nearby sink and began washing her mouth out.

“Is something wrong?” 42 asked walking over to the mare

After looking up and and glaring at 42, Minty panted and said “What did you put in the Super Duper Candy Pooper?”

He took a few steps back from the irritated unicorn “just the… uhh… bag with green stripes!”

“Which one?” she asked stepping closer to the slightly scared changeling.

42 gave her a quick glance ”What do you mean ‘which one’? They are all bags with green stripes!”

Minty Fresh slapped hoof on her face “42…”

“yes?”

“They are all labeled with what machine to put them it!” Minty sighed

“Well you never told me that!?” shouted the Changeling “All you said was to put the bag into the machine. You never said identify which bag with green stripes!!”

Minty Fresh slapped her hoof to her face “Ok, how about I finish this up. You go to the next machine. It is exactly the same thing on you want the bag filled with coca chunks. Do you understand?”

“Yes yes, I understand now” the changeling sighed as he buzzed into the closet and pulled out a bag.

“Is this the correct bag?” he asked sarcastically holding up the bag So Minty could see it clearly

She sighed “Yes, now just pour the chunks into the machine!”

“Alright, No need to tell me twice” mumbled 42 as he hovered up to the machine, leaving Minty to fix his mistake.

He once again ripped open the bag and began to empty out the contents into the hungry machine. Once all of the cocoa beans had been dumped into the machine, 42 threw the empty sack over his shoulder. It got caught in one of his wings and hung down low enough for the machine to grab hold of the sack. It began to drag the changeling towards the open mouth of the machine.

“Minty! Help!” hollered 42, but the machine’s rumble was to loud for anypony to hear him. Closer and closer, he kept pulling and tugging on the sack, trying to get it off his wing. The machine kept drawing him closer and closer until it violently drew the changeling in.

“Odd,” Thought Minty as she heard a the machine c

At that moment the changeling was riding out of the machine on the conveyer belt. He was encased in a thick layer of fudge and a cherry had been placed on top of his head.

“42!” the unicorn gasped as she ran over and tried to help the glaring changeling out of the fudge. “What happened?”

“I got... the bag… in!” 42 panted.

“Oh my!” Her horn illuminated and surrounded 42 in and green aura making nearly all of the fudge on his body disappear. All that remains was a small patch on the head surrounding the cherry.

“How about you call it a day, huh?” Minty said as she grabbed the cherry from 42’s head.

“That seems like a marvelous idea.” 42 hopped off of the conveyer belt and began walking towards the door. “I don’t think I’m made to be a candy maker.”

“Oh 42, sure you are!” the unicorn led him to the door “You go back home and rest for tomorrow.”

“Tomorrow?” Asked the changeling half way out of the door.

Minty Fresh just gave him a big grin before pushing him out of the shop saying “Why we can’t let you quit because you had a bad day!”

She shut the door and left the worried changeling outside. He was about to start flying home when he thought he smelled something. Something in the air that most ponies cant smell, magic. But it was pony magic; no this had a muskier smell. It smelled almost like… changeling magic? But that’s impossible, thought 42. He looked around the town square he was hovering in, sniffing the air to find the source.

He thought he was getting closer to finding the source when the fragrance of Minty’s candy and the pastries being made at Sugar Cube Corner. Maybe he was imagining things. Besides, if there was another changeling in Ponyville, he would know… right? 42 shrugged off the thought and flew back home. Somehow, after everything that went wrong, 42 enjoyed his first day on the job. Minty seemed to enjoy his help, and whatever made Minty Fresh happy made Changeling 42 happy.