• Published 27th Jan 2022
  • 4,643 Views, 89 Comments

A Dragon and his Robot Friend - Wildcard25



Spike creates a robot friend for himself to fill the loneliness in his heart when Twilight and the girls leave him out of all their fun times

  • ...
5
 89
 4,643

Protocol S.D Alpha X

Spike and the Doc were busy giving Dragotron some quick touch ups after his recent fight with Dark Dragotron.

“We musn't take any chances.” Doc said, as he was checking Dragotron's circuits.

“Dark Dragotron will be coming back, and knowing him it won't be long.” Spike added, while tightening Dragotron's screws.

“And the more he fights the stronger he gets.” Twilight said, as she walked in with the girls.

“Which means we have to destroy him before he gets too strong for any of us to handle.” Starlight added.

“And if worse comes to worse?” Fluttershy asked in worry.

Doc spoke up, “Well, that'll all depend on Spike.”

“On me?” Spike asked, as the girls were curious.

Doc nodded, “If worse does come to worse, will you be willing to do anything to ensure the safety of Ponyville or Equestria for that matter?”

Spike was nervous about what Doc was asking of him, as he looked to Dragotron who was just as concerned.

“We better get back into town and see if every pony's taken shelter.” Applejack suggested. They all agreed and headed back.


When they returned they saw all the citizens have taken shelter inside their homes or any form of cover, “Well, at least everypony's taking the proper precautions.” Twilight said in relief.

Suddenly things started getting dark above them, and Pinkie looked up, “Unexpected clouds rolling in?”

The group looked up as Rainbow spoke, “Those aren't clouds.”

They saw flying down was Dark Dragotron, who landed on the ground, “I see it didn't take you long to get back here.” Spike told the replica.

“I was programmed to be durable.” Dark Dragotron answered.

“You weren't programmed for anything.” Doc argued.

“You're just a big fake!” Pinkie called.

“I am Dragotron!” the replica insisted.

“No you ain't!” Applejack retorted.

Dragotron approached, “I am the only Dragotron. You're just a parasitic tree that pretends to be others. That's your only identity no matter what form you take you will never be the original.”

“I will be when you are gone!” Dark Dragotron responded, as he armed himself.

Dragotron looked down at Spike who spoke to him, “Give him Tartarus.”

“Gladly.” Dragotron replied, as he armed himself.

The two robots stood opposite ends on the road staring each other down, as Spike and his friends watched from the side, and the citizens of Ponyville watched from several safe spots. As a lone tumbleweed rolled by the two robot dragons launched from their standing points and tackled each other.

The two attacked each other through a series of punches and claw scratches, before Dragotron unleashed a blast of fire putting scorch marks on Dark Dragotron, but the evil replica started launching missiles at the good robot who dodged many, but one ended up nailing him.

“Dragotron!” Spike called.

“Alright, let's get in there!” Rainbow called, as the girls nodded, and joined in the fight. Twilight and Starlight charged in and started firing magic beams from their horns at Dark Dragotron who was forced back, but he shook it off, “Good try, but not enough.” Dark Dragotron fired laser blasts from his claws.

Rarity slid in and used her own magic to project a shield deflecting the evil robot's laser shots. Rainbow started flying circles around him, to confuse him. But Dark Dragotron concentrated and grabbed Rainbow by the tail.

“Hey! Let go!”

Dark Dragotron raised his other claw at Rainbow prepared to fire a laser shot at Rainbow only to be distracted by a whistle call. He turned and was suddenly met with a barrage of cream pies courtesy of Pinkie's Party Cannon, allowing Rainbow to get free.

“Bulls eye!” Pinkie cheered.

Dark Dragotron wiped the cream off his face to reveal an unamused look, “How unimaginative.” he said. He once again launched missiles all around with Twilight, Starlight, and Rarity using their magic to shield the surrounding area making sure the missiles don't hurt any of the spots the citizens were hiding.

As the evil robot was busy launching missiles, Applejack ran behind him before delivering a good buck to the back knocking him forward.

“How do ya like them apples?” Applejack asked smugly.

Dark Dragotron looked back at Applejack with his eyes glowing red, “Mashed!” he was prepared to attack the farm pony only for Spike to climb up behind him and wrap his arms around his neck.

“Leave my friends alone!”

“Spike!” Twilight cried, as Dark Dragotron reached back and grabbed Spike by the neck and held him out in front.

“Betrayed by my creator!”

“I never created you!” Spike called.

“Dark Dragotron's becoming more like Dragotron by the minute.” Twilight feared.

“You think when he does he'll stop attacking us?” Pinkie asked.

“If only it were that simple,” Doc said, “He may think he's Dragotron, but he's lacking the emotions and empathy the real Dragotron has for all of us.”

As Dark Dragotron was prepared to destroy Spike, he was blasted by a laser shot courtesy of the real Dragotron who picked himself back up.

“No one hurts my friends!” he declared, as Spike got free and hurried back to the others.

The two robots flew at each other going at it with their fists again before flying upward for a sky battle. The group below watched the two fight with both robots firing lasers and missiles at one another, before blasting fire at each other.

Spike watched as Dragotron fought he started taking more damage, and while Dark Dragotron was taking equal damage he still wasn't stopping, “If this keeps up Dragotron will be torn to pieces.”

“And Dark Dragotron is still getting stronger.” Starlight added.

“Isn't there a way we can take Dark Dragotron out like that?” Rainbow asked.

Doc sighed, “Actually, there is.”

“What?” the girls asked.

“Doc?” Spike asked fearing the worse.

Doc Whooves looked down to Spike, “Remember when I asked if you'd be willing to do anything to ensure the safety of Ponyville and Equestria? Well, this is that time.”

“What do you mean?” the dragon asked hoping he wasn't going where he thought he was.

Doc nodded, “You know very well what I mean, Spike.”

Spike frowned, “No way! We're not doing it!”

“Doing what?” Twilight asked.

“Spike, is there something you haven't told us?” Rarity asked, as the girls looked at him.

Spike seeing no point in hiding it sighed and answered, “Even though we hope it would never come down to this, the Doc and I installed a fail-safe protocol in Dragotron should he ever go rogue.”

“What protocol?” Starlight asked.

Doc answered, “S.D Alpha X.”

“S.D?” Fluttershy asked.

Spike spoke, “Self Destruct.”

“Self Destruct?!” the girls asked.

“You installed a self destruct command in Dragotron?” Rainbow asked in disbelief.

“As we said, it's a fail-safe should Dragotron ever go rogue.” Doc said.

“But Dragotron ain't rogue.” Applejack reminded him.

“Maybe not, but Dark Dragotron took on Dragotron's form when he touched it. Meaning he's taken his form, his memories, including his protocols.” Doc explained.

“Which includes the self destruct protocol.” Twilight realized.

“Precisely,” Doc nodded, “Which means when activated both of them will self destruct.”

“But can't you activate it without destroying Dragotron?” Fluttershy asked in concern.

Doc shook his head, “No. Because in order to activate it, they have to be in close range and Spike is the only one that can activate it through voice command. And there's no way we can keep Dark Dragotron still alone. Dragotron has to do it himself. He's the only one."

"But that means." Rarity feared, as every pony knew what this meant.


Everyone was snapped out of their worry as Dragotron crashed onto the ground surprising them, “Dragotron!” the ponies gasped.

“How're you holding up?” Applejack asked in concern.

“I can do this all day.” Dragotron answered trying to maintain his composure.

“You may not have all day.” Rainbow replied.

“Dragotron, we may have a way to stop your Dark clone, but I don't think I can...” Spike trailed off

“I know what it is,” Dragotron said realizing it, “The fail-safe protocol.”

“Dragotron, I don't wanna do it to you.” Spike said.

“We have no choice at this point, Spike,” Dragotron answered, “If Dark Dragotron continues to exist who knows what he'll end up doing. And I am close to my limits.”

“We can always find another way.” Twilight insisted.

“There is no other way now, Twilight. I have to do this, for all of you,” Dragotron said, as he got up, with Dark Dragotron landing, “I'll hold him and be prepared to give the command.” Spike's eyes watered knowing it was all on him.

“Do you surrender?” Dark Dragotron asked.

“Never.” Dragotron answered.

“Then goodbye.” Dark Dragotron flew at Dragotron and the two rolled on the ground before getting back up grappling claw to claw with both trying to overpower the other.

“He's got him, Spike, do the thing!” Doc ordered

Spike watched the two robots grappled, but said nothing, “Spike?” Applejack asked.

“Spike!” Rainbow called, but he still didn't respond.

Dragotron struggled before looking back seeing the hesitance on Spike's face, “Spike, I can't keep him still forever. You must do it!”

“But I don't wanna lose you!” Spike cried.

“You will never lose me, Spike. I'm your friend. And friends are always with each other.”

“But...”

“It's ok,” Dragotron assured, “I want to protect my friends. My family. I am ready to make that sacrifice. If you are.”

Spike's eyes filled with tears, as he saw they came this far and there was no turning back now especially when they had no other options left. Swallowing his hesitance he spoke up, “Dragotron, initiate protocol S.D Alpha X!”

Dragotron spoke up, “Initiating Protocol S.D Alpha X!” his eyes began to glow.

Dark Dragotron was prepared to destroy his counterpart, until he suddenly spoke up, “Initiate protocol S.D Alpha X!” his eyes began to glow.

“We better take cover, because it's going to be a big one!” Doc feared, as they hurried behind cover.

Dragotron using what time he had flew himself and Dark Dragotron locked in his grip into the air. Spike ran out and cried up, “Dragotron! I'm sorry!”

Dragotron looked down, as his and Dark Dragotron's cores started glowing, “Don't be. You gave me life. You gave me a home. You gave me Friendship. Family. For that I will always be grateful.” he was starting to reach critical.

“DRAGOTRON!” Spike cried.

“NOO!” Dark Dragotron shouted, as he and Dragotron both exploded in the sky.

Spike watched from below as his friend blew himself up with his replica, and suddenly parts from both of them started raining down onto the ground. Twilight quickly levitated Spike over to her for safety. As parts of Dark Dragotron landed, they all started changing back into tree bark meaning the replica was ultimately destroyed.

When all the parts landed, Spike ran out to them, “Dragotron!” the girls followed him, as Spike began looking through all the damaged parts, “Dragotron! Come on, Dragotron, where are you?!”

“Spike.” came Dragotron's voice sounding weak.

“Dragotron!” Spike cried, as he suddenly found Dragotron's head scorched and dented, but still functioning if only barely, “Oh, Dragotron.”

“Spike, did we win?” he asked.

Spike smiled tearfully, “Yes, Dragotron, we won.”

Dragotron smiled, “I'm glad my last moments could be so heroic.” his eyes started fading.

“What? No-no-no, hang in there buddy. Just hang in there!” Spike pleaded.

“Thank you, my friend.” Dragotron said, as his eyes went dark and finally shut down permanently.

“No! No, Dragotron!” Spike cried, as he sobbed while holding the robots head close.

Twilight, Doc, and the girls watched closely feeling just as sad as Spike. Every pony that took cover came out and saw while all was well, they too witnessed the sacrifice of one of their own friends and fellow citizens.